WJC: 2025 Team USA Roster Talk

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think Beckett Hendrickson is probably another guy who would be competing for a spot in the bottom 6.

Austin Burnevik is another guy to keep an eye on as well. He's an early 2005 who is currently leading the USHL in goals. He's 6'4 with 21g 36p through 29gp with Madison. Looks like he's taken a big step forward this year. I know his skating has been an obstacle in the past, but if he continues to progress I could see him challenging for a roster spot.
I like Hendrickson, but he hasn't taken that step this year that I thought he would. Maybe he still will, but I'm less convinced now. Someone to keep tabs on though, I agree.

Burnevik is having a good year, but I doubt he's someone in consideration. He was demoted from the U18s last year and wasn't selected for the world junior A team this year. There are better players for scoring roles and he doesn't fit for a grind role. His skating is also likely an issue at this level. He should be at the summer camp though and perhaps if he plays well there, keeps his goal scoring pace this year, and has a big start to next year, he could get a look. There are a handful of other bubble players I'd prefer though.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Austin Burnevik is another guy to keep an eye on as well. He's an early 2005 who is currently leading the USHL in goals. He's 6'4 with 21g 36p through 29gp with Madison. Looks like he's taken a big step forward this year. I know his skating has been an obstacle in the past, but if he continues to progress I could see him challenging for a roster spot.
I'd be surprised if a USNDTP demotee (didn't make the IIHF U18 roster) made the World Juniors team but it'd be a nice comeback story.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd be surprised if a USNDTP demotee (didn't make the IIHF U18 roster) made the World Juniors team but it'd be a nice comeback story.
Would definitely be unusual, but he's putting together the type of season that could earn him some attention.

I think ultimately his skating will hold him back, I haven't caught any Madison games this year so I can't say if he's made improvements there.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I would like to see Pandolfo. He is in NCAA now but he would be a least bit different choice. NCAA coaches has been a bit hit or miss so I wouldn't mind to see sometimes a coach who has NHL experience.
Ron Wilson is the last coach with NHL experience I can recall. He infamously claimed knowing nothing about Russia's players was a good thing, before losing to them in the semi-finals, with quite a talented team. Great preparation, coach!

On the flip side, Ron Rolston was selected the year that Stanley Cup winning coaches Torts and Laviolette were available. USAH obviously doesn't rank NHL experience or success highly in its selection process, at least at the WJC level.

All that said, Pandolfo would be a fine choice. Wide ranging experience is always a plus afaic.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ron Wilson is the last coach with NHL experience I can recall. He infamously claimed knowing nothing about Russia's players was a good thing, before losing to them in the semi-finals, with quite a talented team. Great preparation, coach!

On the flip side, Ron Rolston was selected the year that Stanley Cup winning coaches Torts and Laviolette were available. USAH obviously doesn't rank NHL experience or success highly in its selection process, at least at the WJC level.

All that said, Pandolfo would be a fine choice. Wide ranging experience is always a plus afaic.
I was at that tournament, it was apparent we didn't do any scouting of the Russian team during that SF game. What an ass.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
what a lazy a-hole, why bother scouting the opposition when you can just... not.

It's not like they had already played 5 games that you could look at

I know it's not football where you spend an entire week drawing up specific plays and coverages based on the opposition, but you should obviously know what's going on with them so you have an idea of what you're doing of how to line match.

Give credence to the idea that a random from the stands could do about as effective a job as him if that's his approach. I'm confident I could be the Coach and win most of the group stage games with a USA roster just based on talent discrepancy against a lot of teams.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Doesn't really matter, next year Canada will stomp everyone.

Yeah US will have a good team, but far from this year's team. While Canada will have a depth year.
Why even post this nonsense? It's a short tournament, anything can happen.
The US has made significant strides and as a Canadian, it's difficult to cheer against them. Of course not against us but their program is second to none.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Was Ron Wilson the year we got a thousand penalties? Brandon Carlo (I think) threw it over the glass for delay of game while throwing it the length of the rink. Was that the year? If so, I remember the frustration very well

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

Yeah and Ron Wilson was also a guy who hadn't coached in four years and his career was over. It was a strange choice from the start and a really bad example of how a coach with NHL experience can do in the WJC. Everything always brings up Ron first, but I think that's a bit pointless. I'm not here to offer just anyone with NHL experience. However, Pandolfo has followed a slightly different path than the coaches that USA Hockey always chooses. I would like to see what he can do.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Joey Willis have a good chance?

I wouldn't say good chance but he has a chance. I feel like this group of 12 is going to be hard to displace unless there's injuries: Gabe Perreault, Will Smith, Ryan Leonard, Cole Eiserman, James Hagens, Quentin Musty, Trevor Connelly, Danny Nelson, Oliver Moore, Will Whitelaw, Carey Terrance, Tanner Adams.

Whitelaw, Terrance, and Adams aren't locks by any means but most of the rest of those guys are close to it. Going to be tough for guys outside of that group to get in.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Joey Willis have a good chance?
Former USNDTP evaluation camp cut. Not sure why he didn't play in the 2022 Hlinka Tournament with Musty, Terrance, Adams and Whitelaw. Injured? Declined? The non-former USNDTP guys that go to the world juniors tend to be former Hlinka players (Finley, Hayes, Rinzel all fall into bucket) but not always (Pohlkamp)

There are probably 10 forwards that are "locks" as stated above, so space would be tight. But of course circumstances can always change. I think Willis is probably a longshot, but may get a spot at the Sumer Showcase to show his stuff.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think low for Willis. If he goes crazy with his scoring, he could. Still like 10 months until the pre-camp decisions are made, so it'll be up to him to play very well between now and then.

I don't see Whitelaw or Adams on the team. Whitelaw is doing well in his first NCAA season, but not like he's doing completely great. 5'9 winger that doesn't play with a lot of sandpaper. I think he's top 9 or bust. There's always a few players that weirdly make it far in the process. I don't think because they held him there for a long time this year means he will make it next year. I think he has a chance, but probably not part of the group.

Adams has a bigger role to play as he'd likely be 4th line. I think he can make it. Wouldn't surprise me. But he was also nowhere close to it this year in a year where he could've made it in that same type of role. He's an easy player to cut. Not a player you're banging on the table to include.

I think Terrance could even miss out. I know he was one of the alternates this year, but we've seen players make the team in the past who don't make the team in the future. The alternate spot gives you a leg up, but you already have Nelson who may only be back to play no more than 4C. There may not be another place for another player who fits no higher than 4C.

Celebrini71

Oct 31, 2023
I think low for Willis. If he goes crazy with his scoring, he could. Still like 10 months until the pre-camp decisions are made, so it'll be up to him to play very well between now and then.

I don't see Whitelaw or Adams on the team. Whitelaw is doing well in his first NCAA season, but not like he's doing completely great. 5'9 winger that doesn't play with a lot of sandpaper. I think he's top 9 or bust. There's always a few players that weirdly make it far in the process. I don't think because they held him there for a long time this year means he will make it next year. I think he has a chance, but probably not part of the group.

Adams has a bigger role to play as he'd likely be 4th line. I think he can make it. Wouldn't surprise me. But he was also nowhere close to it this year in a year where he could've made it in that same type of role. He's an easy player to cut. Not a player you're banging on the table to include.

I think Terrance could even miss out. I know he was one of the alternates this year, but we've seen players make the team in the past who don't make the team in the future. The alternate spot gives you a leg up, but you already have Nelson who may only be back to play no more than 4C. There may not be another place for another player who fits no higher than 4C.
I have Swanson in front of him.... can run a PP and PK... Pelosi is one to watch also think he is very under looked... Potter could be the Oliver Moore where he could play anywhere...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have Swanson in front of him.... can run a PP and PK... Pelosi is one to watch also think he is very under looked... Potter could be the Oliver Moore where he could play anywhere...
Agree on all fronts. I have Swanson on my team right now. He's second in the USHL in PPG last I checked, but I understand if he misses out next year. Dumais missed out on the Canadian team his U19 year, despite leading the Q in scoring.

Pelosi I think will be in that fourth line competition.

Potter I want to make the team, but I think he needs to show he's the best player on that 17's group, and then elevate to the 18's for the Spring. The points aren't matching up with how well he's playing, so he needs to start scoring like the best player on that team.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Gauthier was snubbed so it wouldn't be the first time somebody look to the other side of the border. That said, I guess he is too deep in the Canadian system and I guess it is good that way when he has not been in the US system. Iginla could be more likely but we don't really even need those guys if BC line stays. Forward group is very strong anyway. I don't mind if USA Hockey try their luck with those guys if Leonard and Smith both are in the NHL next season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Gauthier was snubbed so it wouldn't be the first time somebody look to the other side of the border. That said, I guess he is too deep in the Canadian system and I guess it is good that way when he has not been in the US system. Iginla could be more likely but we don't really even need those guys if BC line stays. Forward group is very strong anyway. I don't mind if USA Hockey try their luck with those guys if Leonard and Smith both are in the NHL next season.
Yeah, chasing after duals like Gauthier isn't as common as it used to be. USA Hockey might perform their due diligence there but might not amount to much.

Celebrini71

Oct 31, 2023
A player under the radar kinda all year and has been in some 1st round mocks is John Mustard.. Think he has a chance if he continues.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Is he even American?
his eliteprospects page says he played HS hockey in north jersey and on the local junior teams too. depending on how long hes lived in the USA i guess he could be a citizen. the teams he played for suggest he didnt move to the usa just for hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad