WC: 2024 World Championship general discussion

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
As a Slovak from Bratislava, Brno is so much more easily accessible. Just hop on the D2 freeway heading north to Czechia and you're there in like an hour and something. Plus all the buses and trains on the Bratislava Prague route stop there I suppose.

And it's not just the ease of acess. I feel like Ostrava is very remote and there's no reason for me to go there. Anecdotal evidence, but I've never been to Ostrava or that neck of the woods, but been to Brno once for a concert and visited Prague a bunch of times (at least 5 times, possibly more).

I remember! Your description of the place is spot on.
Lol.. I'm an idiot and forgot Bratislava was that close. Last time I was in Brno.. took a 4am train to Budapest.. spent the morning.. then train to Bratislava for afternoon.. then back to Brno for the evening. A tremendous day and all of it was very easy and accessible.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
As a Slovak from Bratislava, Brno is so much more easily accessible. Just hop on the D2 freeway heading north to Czechia and you're there in like an hour and something. Plus all the buses and trains on the Bratislava Prague route stop there I suppose.

And it's not just the ease of acess. I feel like Ostrava is very remote and there's no reason for me to go there. Anecdotal evidence, but I've never been to Ostrava or that neck of the woods, but been to Brno once for a concert and visited Prague a bunch of times (at least 5 times, possibly more).

I remember! Your description of the place is spot on.
You are faster in Brno than Trenčín or Žilina :D

Reactions: Summer Rose

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yes... And when that happens I think it will be Brno and Prague hosting which I think will be better. No offense to Ostrava of course.
If I remember, their very first idea was that Brno will co-host the 2024 Worlds, but the arena construction started later than expected.

Ad Ostrava. They plan to build a new hockey venue in Ostrava, unfortunatelly smaller than Ostravar Arena :( So, the 2024 Worlds is the final big hockey event at that arena. It will not be used for a hockey anymore, if I am correct.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If I remember, their very first idea was that Brno will co-host the 2024 Worlds, but the arena construction started later than expected.

Ad Ostrava. They plan to build a new hockey venue in Ostrava, unfortunatelly smaller than Ostravar Arena :( So, the 2024 Worlds is the final big hockey event at that arena. It will not be used for a hockey anymore, if I am correct.
Here is a link for a new arena in Ostrava, its capacity should be 7500 fans. The Ostravar Arena will not be used for hockey anymore, the local club Vítkovice will move to a new arena.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Here is a link for a new arena in Ostrava, its capacity should be 7500 fans. The Ostravar Arena will not be used for hockey anymore, the local club Vítkovice will move to a new arena.
Ostrava has a capacity of around 10,000, all of the games so far have exceeded 9000 spectators.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Not many care about u20 outside of Canada and US, so that’s comparing apples and oranges.
Correction. Not many people care about U20 outside Canada. The well attended U20's in the US are generally on the Canadian border.

In Canada there are Peewee tournaments that have seen 10,000 fans. There are CHL teams that out compete the biggest euro clubs for attendance and revenue.

The one world championship played in Canada is 8th all time in attendance. That may not sound great but it was played in butt f*** nowhere, during the NHL playoffs. Quebec City is the 8th largest market on Canada and Halifax is 13th. More over they are a very long drive or flight to the large Canadian population centres. Hell is Halifax is closer to London UK than Vanvouver....

It's exactly apples to apples. People in Canada just care about hockey more...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They are building a smaller arena in Ostrava then? Sounds like a sound idea..
Yes, they are planning to build such an arena with capacity from 7000 to 7500 fans. Read the link I provided. They will also reconstruct the Ostravar Arena, but it will not be used for a hockey anymore.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
With austria and Norway having close games like that against the top teams GB will probably have a hard time avoiding relegation

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There was this one guy from the Czech Republic who used to go by the handle Vanilla Gorilla on the old IIHF Forums and he was a classic.

Every opponent was the enemy but he had a special place in his heart for the Russians, he just despised them.

He never referred to Ovechkin as anything other then " Praseckin" and made his living throwing dirt on these guys left and right...........and doing it in a very funny way. After the IIHF shut that place down a few of us ended up migrating to a different site and he continued his assault only now he could post pictures and do more damage. When Sochi was rolling around he posted all these pictures with captions and two I remember was a picture of a shitty beach and old men in speedos with oil drums and stuff in the water and the caption was........." come enjoy are luvlee beeches"

Another one had an old guy coming out of a dirty shack chasing his wife with a rolling pin and below it.............." partake in the local Tradsiions"

He used to drive the Russian posters nuts, they wanted to dismember this guy.

One time he did up caricatures of a player of all the big teams in national team garb and for the Canadians he had this disgusting oafish guy with a lumberjack coat on, axe over his shoulder, pimples all over his face and snot coming out of his nose with beer dribbling out the corner of his mouth. For the Russians the team logo was a big coiler of steaming shit. I used to be doubled over in laughter behind the screen sometimes.

The guy was a f***in all Star!!

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There was this one guy from the Czech Republic who used to go by the handle Vanilla Gorilla on the old IIHF Forums and he was a classic.

Every opponent was the enemy but he had a special place in his heart for the Russians, he just despised them.

He never referred to Ovechkin as anything other then " Praseckin" and made his living throwing dirt on these guys left and right...........and doing it in a very funny way. After the IIHF shut that place down a few of us ended up migrating to a different site and he continued his assault only now he could post pictures and do more damage. When Sochi was rolling around he posted all these pictures with captions and two I remember was a picture of a shitty beach and old men in speedos with oil drums and stuff in the water and the caption was........." come enjoy are luvlee beeches"

Another one had an old guy coming out of a dirty shack chasing his wife with a rolling pin and below it.............." partake in the local Tradsiions"

One time he did up caricatures of a player of all the big teams in national team garb and for the Canadians he had this disgusting oafish guy with a lumberjack coat on, pimples all over his face and snot coming out of his nose and beer dribbling out the corner of his mouth. For the Russians the team logo was a big coiler of steaming shit. I used to be doubled over in laughter behind the screen sometimes.

The guy was a psychopath. Miserable as sin. He clearly had a screw (or 2) loose.

He used to go under the name Gold Standard but now he goes under @1Gold Standard. ;)

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

One time he did up caricatures of a player of all the big teams in national team garb and for the Canadians he had this disgusting oafish guy with a lumberjack coat on, axe over his shoulder, pimples all over his face and snot coming out of his nose with beer dribbling out the corner of his mouth. For the Russians the team logo was a big coiler of steaming shit. I used to be doubled over in laughter behind the screen sometimes.

Praseckin is f***en hillarious..

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006

Oh yes!! I remember Vanilla Gorilla. Kudos to him!!!

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I just calculated that in first 3 days of the WC, over 200,000 spectators visited the tournament 😂👍 that's not bad, I'd say 🤪
9109 SVK vs GER
16617 SUI vs NOR
9109 SWE vs USA
17413 CZE vs FIN
9109 FRA vs KAZ
16935 GBR vs CAN
9109 POL vs LAT
15719 AUT vs DEN
9109 USA vs GER
17413 CZE vs NOR
9109 SVK vs KAZ
15433 FIN vs GBR
8525 LAT vs FRA
16015 DEN vs CAN
8425 SWE vs POL
13512 AUT vs SUI ..... is 200.661 together 👍

Last edited:

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I just calculated that in first 3 days of the WC, over 200,000 spectators visited the tournament 😂👍 that's not bad, I'd say 🤪
9109 SVK vs GER
16617 SUI vs NOR
9109 SWE vs USA
17413 CZE vs FIN
9109 FRA vs KAZ
16935 GBR vs CAN
9109 POL vs LAT
15719 AUT vs DEN
9109 USA vs GER
17413 CZE vs NOR
9109 SVK vs KAZ
15433 FIN vs GBR
8525 LAT vs FRA
16015 DEN vs CAN
8425 SWE vs POL
13512 AUT vs SUI ..... is 200.661 together 👍
I wonder that DEN vs CAN had 2.5k more spectators than AUT vs SUI, yes CAN is CAN but it was the prime time game and even FINvsGBR had more spectators

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad