WNBA 2024 WNBA Season Thread

Sep 19, 2008
Which reminds me Mystics last I checked were 0-2. Wonder if they have any intentions of competing soon. I mean I'm not going to bash the coach as they did make the playoffs last year but more is expected.

Maybe it's still early.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Caitlyn Clark's team is really bad though. Even their #1 pick from last year, Aliyah Boston, is out there looking like the female version of Zion, fat, out of shape and can't keep up with the pace.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Which reminds me Mystics last I checked were 0-2. Wonder if they have any intentions of competing soon. I mean I'm not going to bash the coach as they did make the playoffs last year but more is expected.

Maybe it's still early.
Tough schedule to start, with Austin on minute restriction/sitting out the last game and Sykes missing out for 2 of the first 3. Not that I mind too much, this team seems perfect for Paige next year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She took a foul on a turnover that I think they said would not be a foul in college, and got a T that seemed to swing that one away. Game was tied and it got wrestled away.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
So I watched more WNBA through the first week of the season than I have my entire life. Man it’s bad. Air balls left and right, shots hitting the underside of the rim, missed layups galore. Brutal just brutal

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
So I watchef more WNBA through the first week of the season and I have my entire life. Man it’s bad. Air balls left and right, shots hitting the underside of the rim, missed layups galore. Brutal just brutal
Yup, don’t know how anyone can pretend this is high level athletic competition

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yup, don’t know how anyone can pretend this is high level athletic competition
If people can convince themselves spring football isn’t just background noise, it’s at least not more difficult than that.

• Haha
Reactions: Jussi and MMC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If people can convince themselves spring football isn’t just background noise, it’s at least not more difficult than that.
lol… there’s no way anyone could even pretend to have an argument that the WNBA is anywhere near as high a level athletic competition as the UFL. UFL players make the NFL every season, WNBA players wouldn’t sniff the NBA. This is incredibly low level basketball, if you want to watch it because you think Caitlin Clark is cool or because you believe you’re doing the world a service by giving women’s sports engagement or because you find a level basketball below high school JV entertaining to watch then feel free to enjoy yourself but we don’t need to pretend that this is anything resembling high level basketball, because it’s not even close.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
lol… there’s no way anyone could even pretend to have an argument that the WNBA is anywhere near as high a level athletic competition as the UFL. UFL players make the NFL every season, WNBA players wouldn’t sniff the NBA. This is incredibly low level basketball, if you want to watch it because you think Caitlin Clark is cool or because you believe you’re doing the world a service by giving women’s sports engagement or because you find a level basketball below high school JV entertaining to watch then feel free to enjoy yourself but we don’t need to pretend that this is anything resembling high level basketball, because it’s not even close.

Regular season basketball sucks in the NBA, too. That's why they gotta try to do bullshit in-season tournaments because they can't even keep their own players interested. At least everyone out here looks like they want to there. There is value and interest in that that people do identify in that.

UFL had like 2 guys make it to the NFL and stick, and one was a kicker. Basically anyone else were guys to fill out practice squads after guys got hurt. The biggest sports league in the country sent the Panthers and Patriots 17 times last season as they are well-paid, high-level professional atheletes.

Doesn't have to be the highest level, just has to be able to draw interest. College football does it with 80% of guys have no chance of being pros, and college basketball even less.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Just say you don't like basketball it's fine

Reactions: Jussi

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Doesn't have to be the highest level, just has to be able to draw interest.
Well at least we aren’t pretending this is anything resembling a high level athletic competition anymore.

The interest is being drawn because of Clark, not the WNBA product. And if it doesn’t significantly improve, I imagine much of that initial interest will die out very quickly.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Just say you don't like basketball it's fine
I watch every Laker game and postseason game I’m available for, a league of this level doesn’t interest me in the slightest though. If I want to watch even lower level basketball than the NCAA I’ll just go back to my high school and watch our varsity team play from the bleachers in my old gym

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I watch every Laker game and postseason game I’m available for, a league of this level doesn’t interest me in the slightest though. If I want to watch even lower level basketball than the NCAA I’ll just go back to my high school and watch our varsity team play from the bleachers in my old gym
Lots of words to say you don't like basketball when there's no need

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Apparently some people are incapable of recognizing athleticism except in comparison to men. Here's a newsflash, Roger Bannister ran the first 4 minute mile in 1954, 70 years ago. To date, no women has run a 4 minute mile. That doesn't mean that women aren't great runners. Or great athletes. They're just not as fast as men. Or as strong. Or as big. Get over it already.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It never ceases to amaze me how clearly threatened some are by womens sports.
Its strange to say the least. And probably concerning.
Who’s threatened? Nobody is saying the league shouldn’t exist. Just that the product needs improvement if it wants to grow an audience that can financially support it

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Who’s threatened? Nobody is saying the league shouldn’t exist. Just that the product needs improvement if it wants to grow an audience that can financially support it
I dunno. Some say they are not interested & then go on & on about it. Its odd. Seem like insecure people who just cant accept women at the top of the food chain are getting some love/playing professional sports.
Kinda reminds me of those who get twisted over women's soccer . Or things as innocuous as pride tape.
You would think if they didnt like it, they'd just ignore it and not go on & on about it. But I guess not.
As I say, its really strange that some are so threatened and insecure. And it is possibly very concerning.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I dunno. Some say they are not interested & then go on & on about it. Its odd. Seem like insecure people who just cant accept women at the top of the food chain are getting some love/playing professional sports.
Kinda reminds me of those who get twisted over women's soccer . Or things as innocuous as pride tape.
You would think if they didnt like it, they'd just ignore it and not go on & on about it. But I guess not.
As I say, its really strange that some are so threatened and insecure. And it is possibly very concerning.
Sounds like a whole lot of projection.

On the main boards people constantly criticize the NBA’s product. Are they “threatened” by the existence of basketball?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad