U18: 2024 WJC18 Switzerland roster talk

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's the problem when playing Canada. You need to be efficient. If the Swiss put up 3 or 4 goals in the 1st like they should have then they probably win the game or at least have a really good chance to do so. Unfortunately, the Körbler goal came too late. A soft goal allowed by Kirsch, a weak sequence on the backcheck and a nice Canadian combination later the game is pretty much over.

Nice effort but clearly lacking finish.

Is there a country taking more too many men at the highest level of international tournaments? Probably not. Swiss teams taking at least one per game it seems...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Canada just too good

Canada barely touched the puck for 15'. Shots still 21-17 Switzerland. Scoring chances even more in Switzerland's favour. So no. Canada isn't too good. They're just more efficient. You can't waste this many chances vs Canada and expect to get away with it.

Also, this is the 2nd weak goal given up by Kirsch. Gave up 5 goals on 20 shots. I've no idea why he's still in the net.

Another soft one by Kirsch...he made two key saves in the 1st but has been trash in the 2nd. Coaches pulling him way too late.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Canada barely touched the puck for 15'. Shots still 21-17 Switzerland. Scoring chances even more in Switzerland's favour. So no. Canada isn't too good. They're just more efficient. You can't waste this many chances vs Canada and expect to get away with it.

Also, this is the 2nd weak goal given up by Kirsch. Gave up 5 goals on 20 shots. I've no idea why he's still in the net.

Another soft one by Kirsch...he made two key saves in the 1st but has been trash in the 2nd. Coaches pulling him way too late.
I think this in hockey equals good. They definitely slept through the first period though

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think this in hockey equals good. They definitely slept through the first period though

Nah. Switzerland created more and better chances. If you create fewer chances than your opponents, you're not a good team. If Switzerland puts up 3 or 4 goals in the 1st then this is a completely different game now. Unfortunately they wasted all of those chances and cracked.
A leaking goalie, taking stupid penalties like too many men and losing your best player doesn't help either. That's why I don't like going with 7 defensemen. You lose one, you're down to 6. You lose your best defensemen you have lots of defensemen playing way more than they should. Ludvig Johnson would come in really handy now.

Reactions: kudla

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Each team has dominated a period
Goaltending has been the difference

Yeah. Kirsch hasn't been good. I don't know why he was allowed to give up 6 goals on 20 shots. Should have been pulled earlier.

However, the difference is finish. Just look at the quality of the Canadian shots. Leenders had to make how many quality saves? 1 or 2? Swiss also hit iron twice but the rest they fired either right at Leenders or wide/high. Canada just has more/better finish.

If the Swiss put up 3 or 4 goals in the 1st...like they should have...then we have a game. When they didn't it was clear that Canada would come back at them. Can't say I'm surprised. You wanna win vs Canada you need to to capitalize on your opportunities and put pucks in the net. Because you just know Canada will punish you if you don't.

Probably also a problem of this group though. Swiss 06 group is very good, has great defensemen, insane Center depth and creative wingers. They're lacking snipers though. Most forwards are either playmakers or two way forwards. No real shooters on that team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So, who do you start vs Sweden? Not sure I still trust Kirsch after today...

Manster

Apr 28, 2024
Start Kirsch against Sweden. No matter what he is still better than Lochat.
Schöb only took him out to save him from a desaster and give him a rest.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Start Kirsch against Sweden. No matter what he is still better than Lochat.
Schöb only took him out to save him from a desaster and give him a rest.
He gave up 6 goals on 20 shots. 3 of them were soft goals. I think going into camp it was a wide open competition for the starter gig. Kirsch won it because he was the most solid of the three in exhibition games. Looking at their seasons however I wouldn't say that Kirsch is better than Neuenschwander or Lachat. Looking at their performances in previous international games we have to say that both Lachat and Neuenschwander have been significantly better than Kirsch.

I had no problem with Kirsch earning the starter gig for this tournament. However, he wasn't good enough today so I don't think I'd start him again vs Sweden. Neuenschwander deserves a chance and in my view he's the most talented of the three. Lachat would be deserving of another chance as well. I don't think you can fault him for that 1st period vs Kazakhstan.

Manster

Apr 28, 2024
Probably also a problem of this group though. Swiss 06 group is very good, has great defensemen, insane Center depth and creative wingers. They're lacking snipers though. Most forwards are either playmakers or two way forwards. No real shooters on that team.
Disagree. Swiss 06 are good, yes. However, imho, they are strongly overrated. They seem better because they were hyped but eventually they are no better than past U18 teams which is underlined by their average results.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Disagree. Swiss 06 are good, yes. However, imho, they are strongly overrated. They seem better because they were hyped but eventually they are no better than past U18 teams which is underlined by their average results.
Not many previous WJC18 teams could have buried Canada alive for an entire period. Like they barely touched the puck for 15mins. Yes, the Swiss failed to capitalize on that but even the star loaded 95/96 teams never managed to dominate Canada for more than a few shifts maybe. I mean even for the full game today scoring chances were even. Heck, shots were almost even despite the (stupid) penalties they took. The only thing this 06 group is lacking is elite talent upfront. Which is also part of the reason why they're not scoring enough goals. The most gifted player upfront is Jamiro Reber but he's playing hurt and he's a playmaker, not a goal scorer anyway.

Manster

Apr 28, 2024
That is what I am saying. So they had a good first period but were dominated in the second when Can picked up a notch. 3. period was energy saving for Can and Swi trying to do something.
But this Can Team has definitely not the same skill levels as the Can Teams 1 and 2 years before. So I do not only see no special offense power in this year‘s Swi team but I am questioning your opinion that the 06 are a very good team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think another factor I've mentioned last year but not yet this year is the fact that this team only has three returning players. Which is not enough given how weak the 05 group and how strong the 06 group is. If you're Canada you can afford to ignore underagers but if you're Switzerland you have to pick your battles wisely. Thanks for nothing, Jenni, you moron! Experience matters in these tournaments.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That is what I am saying. So they had a good first period but were dominated in the second when Can picked up a notch. 3. period was energy saving for Can and Swi trying to do something.
But this Can Team has definitely not the same skill levels as the Can Teams 1 and 2 years before. So I do not only see no special offense power in this year‘s Swi team but I am questioning your opinion that the 06 are a very good team.
The 06 group is the best Swiss group in 10 years at least. Maybe in forever. Yes, no real superstars and the most promising player even got hurt early today...but the depth is insane.

Manster

Apr 28, 2024
The 3 06 players playing last year with the 05 team were enough. I do not see any additional 06 player who should have been part in last year’s 05 team…
BTW: how many 07 are now in Finland?!
Thanks Schöb for having a global, sustainable view on the U18…!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The 3 06 players playing last year with the 05 team were enough. I do not see any additional 06 player who should have been part in last year’s 05 team…
BTW: how many 07 are now in Finland?!
Thanks Schöb for having a global, sustainable view on the U18…!
The 07 group is not very strong. But yeah. I agree. At least Lars Steiner should have made the team over a nothing player like Borradori. You could argue that Florian Schenk or Dorian Moret should have been given a look in camp as well.

Manster

Apr 28, 2024
Agree, 07 group is really not very strong. 06 group has great depth but as a whole team I would not call them the best in years. Results so far against good teams were promising but not good enough. One dominating period against Team Can does not make a game or a tournament especially when considering that this Team Can is one of the least talented squad in years.
The 06 team was given always a huge credit because of the depth and the results against weaker teams. So far they did not provide better results against big teams.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agree, 07 group is really not very strong. 06 group has great depth but as a whole team I would not call them the best in years. Results so far against good teams were promising but not good enough. One dominating period against Team Can does not make a game or a tournament especially when considering that this Team Can is one of the least talented squad in years.
The 06 team was given always a huge credit because of the depth and the results against weaker teams. So far they did not provide better results against big teams.

I disagree that this Canadian team is weaker than others. Their goaltending is shit but that's been a problem for a while now in Canada.

Also, as I said...even looking at the full 60' Switzerland played an even game vs Canada. That just never happens at those main international junior events. Against other top nations maybe but even the star loaded Swiss teams never created an equal amount of chances vs Canada. With better goaltending and without Muggli getting hurt I think we may still see a close game despite the lack of finish on the Swiss side. But playing with just 7 defensemen you can't afford to lose your best one if you're Switzerland playing vs Canada.

Also, where would you have expected better results? They won the EYOF, they beat Slovakia and Finland at the Hlinka Gretzky, lost to Sweden in OT after playing a very even game. The Reber/Forget/Antenen line was dominant all tournament long.

This WJC18 Switzerland just got the short straw and therefore into the much stronger group. I haven't been able to watch the game vs Czechia but when my stream wasn't dying, Switzerland was mostly carrying play so my assumption is that scoring chances were probably about even at least. Also, that Czech team is just incredibly strong and probably gonna medal. They beat Sweden as well.

Also, the circumstances aren't ideal. Guignard, Domenichelli and Giger are all injured. At least Körbler, Reber and Ponzetto are banged up badly. On top of this all the team probably lost Muggli yesterday. The 06 group may be deep but that's just too many health issues for any Swiss junior team to swallow.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Muggli and Grossniklaus are out for the tournament unfortunately

Grossniklaus I don't think is a huge loss. I think Schöb was leaning on him way too heavily anyway. With the Center depth this team has he's a 4C at best. Reber, Antenen, Tarchini and Mottard are clearly better while Wey and Aebi certainly aren't any worse.

Muggli is a huge loss though, no doubt about that. So what now? Johnson in and Forget Captain?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Apparently Bosson Captain, Johnson in on defense, Weber in upfront on the topline. Ponzetto 13th forward, Kirsch starting again.

Stupid. Kirsch was leaking vs Canada, he had his chance. They also would have had better forward options than Weber and even if you really like him, why play him on topline? Also, if Ponzetto is injured he should join Grossniklaus and Muggli in leaving the tournament. No point in icing injured players.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Grossniklaus I don't think is a huge loss. I think Schöb was leaning on him way too heavily anyway. With the Center depth this team has he's a 4C at best. Reber, Antenen, Tarchini and Mottard are clearly better while Wey and Aebi certainly aren't any worse.

Muggli is a huge loss though, no doubt about that. So what now? Johnson in and Forget Captain?
Johnson and Janis Weber in and probably Forget captain or maybe Ustinkov. I don‘t see this team pulling an upset without Muggli he played well and calm IMO except for the czechia game.

Apparently Bosson Captain, Johnson in on defense, Weber in upfront on the topline. Ponzetto 13th forward, Kirsch starting again.

Stupid. Kirsch was leaking vs Canada, he had his chance. They also would have had better forward options than Weber and even if you really like him, why play him on topline? Also, if Ponzetto is injured he should join Grossniklaus and Muggli in leaving the tournament. No point in icing injured players.
Ponzetto didn‘t play very good IMO maybe because of injuries but he‘s not helping team so far.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kirsch now letting in shots (well, it was more of a flip than a shot) from the blueline. What the heck.

Somebody here said it would be a mistake to start Kirsch again after he missed up the Canada game already...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad