Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they fire Schnieder tomorrow, do they go with Mattingly as interim?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am one of the more optimistic posters here and I wanted at minimum a change in hitting coaches. Didn't happen. Even getting rid of Schneider I would have been fine with. I even wanted Click in for Atkins. Click has had a solid track record.

In the 2022-2023 offseason, I understood sacrificing some offense for defense. However, this offseason didn't make sense. The team struggled to hit the ball. Atkins didn't improve the offense at all. He even didn't bring in new hitting coaches. Signing KK again made no sense. Varsho is fine in CF. They needed an LF that can hit. The hitters that are supposed to be the team's top hitters are terrible.

Atkins needs to go ASAP. The new GM can fire/hire who they choose. The longer this goes the more Shapiro needs to go.

Hell, anyone that was responsible for the Berrios decision in the playoffs should have been fired in the off season. I just don’t get what Shapiro and Atkins are thinking. Why is Shapiro so loyal to Atkins? A competent president would have fired Atkins after last season. Rogers CEO, or whoever is Shapiro’s boss, needs to step in and fire both of them.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I can't even watch this crap during the NHL playoffs. The Jays have 3 wins in 13 games. My friend at the store has been telling me to bet against the Jays (last night it worked lol).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If they fire Schnieder tomorrow, do they go with Mattingly as interim?

Probably. Though i would hope not. I would go with a fresh voice. Wonder if Joe Maddon has any interest in becoming a manager again. Unlikely at the age of 70 but worth a shot to hire him for 2 years to see what he can get out of this core.

Do we want to try John Gibbons again? How is the guy still only 61 years old? He would be younger than 6 current MLB managers.

Reactions: Nineteen67

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I can’t blame them for thinking that the internal players Springer/Vlad/Kirk would be better than last year.

I can’t blame them for not signing Bellinger/Soler/Chapman etc. The free agent group was trash

What they need to do now is realize this is not working. They need to be bold and make some moves. Trade Vlad? Springer needs to go as well.

It’s frustrating

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
yeah i'm at that point too. I bowed out after the dodgers series and haven't watched an inning since.

It's just not worth our time (and money) to get invested in this team.

I'll check them out when they make some significant changes be that a new manager or better yet a new general manager.

Kind of hilarious that they pumped in all this money on the stadium and they forgot about the team that plays in it.
It was the Dodgers defeating us in the offseason that put the writing on the wall for me for this season. That's when it locked in 2023 2.0.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Probably. Though i would hope not. I would go with a fresh voice. Wonder if Joe Maddon has any interest in becoming a manager again. Unlikely at the age of 70 but worth a shot to hire him for 2 years to see what he can get out of this core.

Do we want to try John Gibbons again? How is the guy still only 61 years old? He would be younger than 6 current MLB managers.

That would be hilarious because Maddon is on public record for being against front offices that meddle with in-game decision making. He'd only entertain coming back if he had complete autonomy of how he uses his players, which has essentially blackballed him from the league.

I feel as though Gibby is in the same boat. FWIW I still think Schneider had the final say on when to pull the plug on Berrios, but this whole pre-game choreography thing Maddon alluded to with the Angels is for sure prevalent with this team and the majority (if not all) orgs in baseball. It's been a paradigm shift over the last decade and the pervasiveness of analytics has milked the life out of orgs.

Still, when it's good, it looks great. And when it's bad, it's easy to cast blame.

Last edited:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Not like it matters but Bassitt is complete garbage. Unwatchable trash this team is. Top to bottom

Maybe next year

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Loser after loser. Another loser start from Bassitt. Basically what he has become now. Pure loser

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Even Bo looked surprised he got the barrel on the ball for an oppo hit. Meanwhile immediately after him Davis pulls a linedrive single on the first pitch.

The body language and confidence is a complete 180 between the two of them.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Now the million dollar question is, can this bullpen hold a 3 run lead with two innings left.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Davis Schneider is still somehow batting 7th (behind Bo), and Springer still maintains the leadoff spot.

Dear lord
My biggest issue with Schneider is his reluctance to move on from something that isn't working. I understand being patient - you can't just react to every short slump and hot streak - but we're almost a quarter of the way through the season and the team is falling apart. Yet Springer gets the leadoff spot every day no matter what despite looking awful, Schneider is in and out of the lineup (and usually in the bottom third) despite looking better and better, Clement is still just a utility player despite outperforming all the other infielders to this point...

It's just dumb. You've reached a point in the season where you need to turn things around in a hurry or the season will be lost and you're going to be fired. How can you be comfortable just continuing to do things the exact same way and waiting for them to change? Moving Bo down was a start, but took way too long and it wasn't nearly enough. He needs to start giving playing time (and lineup spots) to the guys who have earned it and stop deferring to the guys who earned it in previous years.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
My biggest issue with Schneider is his reluctance to move on from something that isn't working. I understand being patient - you can't just react to every short slump and hot streak - but we're almost a quarter of the way through the season and the team is falling apart. Yet Springer gets the leadoff spot every day no matter what despite looking awful, Schneider is in and out of the lineup (and usually in the bottom third) despite looking better and better, Clement is still just a utility player despite outperforming all the other infielders to this point...

It's just dumb. You've reached a point in the season where you need to turn things around in a hurry or the season will be lost and you're going to be fired. How can you be comfortable just continuing to do things the exact same way and waiting for them to change? Moving Bo down was a start, but took way too long and it wasn't nearly enough. He needs to start giving playing time (and lineup spots) to the guys who have earned it and stop deferring to the guys who earned it in previous years.
Is he being told by Atkins to be patient? Was Atkins responsible for pulling Berrios in the playoffs? Or are all these decisions by Schneider? With these guys you just don't know. In any case, it's pure incompetence and poor judgment by this blundering management.

I think they're keeping Springer in the leadoff because if he's moved he'll sulk. He did it last year for two weeks, marginally improved, and then was moved back. Another day of batting .200 in the leadoff for him. So nice to not see Kirk out there. He's hitting .205 with a .582 OPS. And slow as molasses on the basepaths. Can we stop playing Vogelbach and his .105 BA in 29 AB? He offers nothing. Also Biggio and his .205 BA. Smooth looking stroke, producing little this season.

Davis and Clement should be playing every day even if they go into a minor slump. Bichette will be ok. Guerrero looking better except for his still swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. Varsho only hitting .227 but 2nd in the order shows how poor this offence is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad