Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v1 |Sun, Apr 7| @NYY | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Francis vs Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If we somehow cloned babe Ruth and had him crushing 60 hrs again people in here would still complain that he is too fat.

Yeah sure maybe it would be more ideal if Kirk was in somewhat better shape but this sport has a long history of guy with heavier body types being highly effective players.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yep, that's just his default body. Can't change it, don't try, won't make any positive difference in his baseball career.

Gotcha all loud and clear, I am surprised but grateful I learned so much about pro sports and fitness today.

again, that's not what anyone said, but you seem incapable of reading well enough to understand peoples' actual arguments.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Yep, that's just his default body. Can't change it, don't try, won't make any positive difference in his baseball career.

Gotcha all loud and clear, I am surprised but grateful I learned so much about pro sports and fitness today.
Whatever your body type is, is a fraction of a fraction of the athlete Kirk is.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I think Kirk looks a bit trimmer than last season. Seriously.

Also Vladdy looks to be in better shape for sure.

Great opening day win. This result should give them the confidence to win the series. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Didn't watch the game but nice to see Berrios have a great outing. Bats came through when needed and also 3 homers is great.

Looking forward to tomorrow when I can watch the game.
Same. So makes perfect sense the Jays get rocked tomorrow for us to watch.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If we somehow cloned babe Ruth and had him crushing 60 hrs again people in here would still complain that he is too fat.

Yeah sure maybe it would be more ideal if Kirk was in somewhat better shape but this sport has a long history of guy with heavier body types being highly effective players.

If Kirk puts up even half of Ruth’s WORST statistical year in a season, I guarantee you nobody would be complaining about how fat he is.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If Kirk puts up even half of Ruth’s WORST statistical year in a season, I guarantee you nobody would be complaining about how fat he is.
He had a walk, a hit, and 2 RBI’s and people still spent hours after the game was over complaining about his body type on a day we won 8-2.
2 seasons ago he won the silver slugger for catchers and people were still doing it.

It’s just an easy thing for people to vent about and nothing is going to stop it

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ruth was hitting bombs against milkmen, there’s no sense in comparing the two eras. If Kirk can blend his 2022 offence with his 2023 defence, he’d be the best catcher in baseball.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I gotta say I love Guerrero 2 and Bichette 3. It's just so damn logical. If they have similar power numbers (only a difference of 6 extra base hits last year) then put the guy with the higher OBP 2 and the guy who gets more overall hits 3rd.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Already different vibes than last season in one game. Last years' team would probably eek out a 3-2 win instead of tacking on the extra runs.

The worst part of last year's team was the inability to score with RISP. They got on base plenty. Just were not driving them in.

The visible decline in home runs obviously hurt, because that obviously drives in whoever is on base.

I hope they can figure out how to hit homers at the dome this year. Last year was brutal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know what Turner means in his interview about players being unselfish, but it always strikes me as kind of funny for baseball, which is the most individualistic of the team sports since all of offence and most of defence relies heavily on just you doing your own thing and other people operating independently.

Like, what is a selfish player? Vladdy steps up to the plate, ignores the managers signs, smacks a HR, then as he touches home he looks at Bichette and says "Suck it, Bo. No RBIs for you. Vladdy only looks out for one person, Vladdy."

And maybe some crotch grabs or pie-facing.

• Haha
Reactions: Forgotusername

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I know what Turner means in his interview about players being unselfish, but it always strikes me as kind of funny for baseball, which is the most individualistic of the team sports since all of offence and most of defence relies heavily on just you doing your own thing and other people operating independently.

Like, what is a selfish player? Vladdy steps up to the plate, ignores the managers signs, smacks a HR, then as he touches home he looks at Bichette and says "Suck it, Bo. No RBIs for you. Vladdy only looks out for one person, Vladdy."

And maybe some crotch grabs or pie-facing.
I generally agree, but I think a selfish play would be a player trying to hit a HR on a borderline pitch to be the hero instead of laying off and taking a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad