2024 University Cup

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
While it would be good to be back on TV the problem is the networks get to dictate what time the games start. Like a gold medal game at noon.
Nothing wrong with noon on a Sunday not a lot of credibility if not on tv

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
2024 MEN'S HOCKEY AWARDS & ALL-CANADIANS

Senator Joseph A. Sullivan Trophy (most outstanding player):
Connor Bouchard, Mount Royal Clare
Drake Trophy (rookie of the year): Connor Ungar, Brock
Defenceman of the Year: Kale McCallum, UNB
Goaltender of the Year: Shane Farkas, Mount Royal
R.W. Pugh Trophy (most sportsmanlike player): Brady Gilmour, UNB
Dr. Randy Gregg Award (student-athlete community service): Alexandre Gagnon, McGill
Father George Kehoe Memorial Award (Fox 40 Coach of the Year): Gardiner MacDougall, UNB

First Team All-Canadians
Athlete UniversityPosYearHometownAcademic Program
Connor BouchardMount RoyalF2Cochrane, Alta.Open Studies
Simon LafranceUQTRF4St-Eustache, Que.Physical Education
Austen KeatingUNBF3Puslinch, Ont.Business Admin.
Kale McCallumUNBD3Rothesay, NBArts
Clayton HanusMount RoyalD2Excelsior, Minn.Business
Shane FarkasMount RoyalG2Penticton, BCOpen Studies
Second Team All-Canadians
Matthew StruthersSTFXF3Milton, Ont.Business
Jacob RoachBrockF3Brooklin, Ont.Sport Management
Colson GengenbachCalgaryF3Edmonton, Alta.Business
David NoëlUQTRD3Quebec City, Que.Kinesiology
Jake LeeUBCD2Sherwood Park, Alta.Arts
Connor Unga BrockG1Calgary, Alta.Social Sciences
All-Rookie Team
Alec BelangerDalhousieFQuebec City, QueKinesiology
Luka VerreaultOttawaFRimouski, Que.Accounting
Jake PooleCalgaryFMcAuley, Man.Arts
Charlie CallaghanSTFXDToronto, Ont.Business
Jonah BoriaBrockDGrimsby, Ont.Kinesiology
Connor UngarBrockGCalgary, Alta.Social Sciences
I have McCormick and Landry on my team all day long ahead of McCallum. They each PK and take Dzone faceoffs.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Nothing wrong with noon on a Sunday not a lot of credibility if not on tv
Nothing wrong for fans maybe... can turn into plenty wrong for the teams.

1999 in Saskatoon, we played the late "semi-final" against the host Huskies. We end up winning 5-4 in OT, or 2nd OT, I can't remember. Emotional game against the hosts, guy end up going to bed late after eating and stuff (some guys told me they didn't sleep until 2AM because of the excitement). Meanwhile, Alberta cruises to an easy 4-0 win against York in the afternoon game. Guess who was more ready for the final at 2PM the next day?

Reactions: Rob

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
Please help. Are the Thursday/Friday games viewable online? If so, where?

Edit: My mistake. Found it.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

1999 in Saskatoon, we played the late "semi-final" against the host Huskies. We end up winning 5-4 in OT, or 2nd OT, I can't remember. Emotional game against the hosts, guy end up going to bed late after eating and stuff (some guys told me they didn't sleep until 2AM because of the excitement). Meanwhile, Alberta cruises to an easy 4-0 win against York in the afternoon game. Guess who was more ready for the final at 2PM the next day?
IMO, Then the host committee needs to come up with an alternative to the scheduling times, as a large percentage of the audience would watch via tv broadcast and the result is National exposure. Now, online broadcasts are subject to buffering etc..
EX: Arguably, a UNB vs Alberta National final on TSN or Sportsnet, we all know would be as good or better than a Memorial cup final.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, Then the host committee needs to come up with an alternative to the scheduling times, as a large percentage of the audience would watch via tv broadcast and the result is National exposure. Now, online broadcasts are subject to buffering etc..
EX: Arguably, a UNB vs Alberta National final on TSN or Sportsnet, we all know would be as good or better than a Memorial cup final.
Maybe bump up the semi-final games on Saturday?
But..if Tv is broadcasting the Saturday games, then there's not much anyone can do.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ungar did all he could today. Impressive performance. I think he was starting to get in the heads of the Reds players a bit as they seemed to be trying to make the perfect play/shot.

Rob is the most relieved UNB fan here haha

Only got to see the first period. Read on Twitter that Sproule may be hurt again?

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Somewhat off topic, but did anyone else catch that intermission segment during Oilers/Caps last night on SN when Bob Stauffer showed a clip from the 2005 University Cup final between Sask and Alberta at Skyreach Centre (as it then was)? Man, that brought back some memories... I was at that game and I remember that dramatic OT win for the Bears.

That was the first time I ever saw a clip from that game, I enjoyed that blast from the past.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

Bears were winning that year regardless. No matter what excuses you want to make.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Great Tilt between Calgary and TMU. I thought Calgary deserved to win through 60 minutes, but TMU was stronger in OT. Duda must have played 70 minutes.

Reactions: timbitca

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Somewhat off topic, but did anyone else catch that intermission segment during Oilers/Caps last night on SN when Bob Stauffer showed a clip from the 2005 University Cup final between Sask and Alberta at Skyreach Centre (as it then was)? Man, that brought back some memories... I was at that game and I remember that dramatic OT win for the Bears.

That was the first time I ever saw a clip from that game, I enjoyed that blast from the past.
They showed it because Benny Thomson was in the crowd at the game last night...

You might remember Thomson as the hero that tied the game to send it to OT (after Rob Daum designed an O-zone play for them during a timeout for them to lose the draw)

Well, as it turns out Draisaitl was asked why he wears #29 and in Drai's words: "because Benny Thomson was my favourite player and he wore 29."
Benny played for Drai's dad in Germany when Drai was a kid.

Tough loss for Calgary
Love to see it. Howell can eat a gigantic bag of dicks.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022

You might remember Thomson as the hero that tied the game to send it to OT (after Rob Daum designed an O-zone play for them during a timeout for them to lose the draw)

Well, as it turns out Draisaitl was asked why he wears #29 and in Drai's words: "because Benny Thomson was my favourite player and he wore 29."

Thomson was a fabulous player.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

Thanks for the additional context, I couldn't hear the TV clearly where I was so I didn't know why Stauffer was showing that. But I recognized the footage as soon as I saw it. This was right before YouTube became a thing so I was never able to find footage from that game online.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad