2024 University Cup

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
If I read this correctly, all 4 OUA teams will play the 2 AUS and 2 CW teams in the 1st round.
Let's say you have UNB, UofA, CAL and SFX. That is a bit of a Murderers Row for the OUA teams to face.
It will be interesting this year, since it's the first time we'll see four teams from the same conference in the eight-team bracket format. Since it's not a requirement to avoid interconference games in round one (just a preference), I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one all-OUA matchup in the first round - perhaps the 2-7 matchup, with UQTR against the OUA bronze medallist or host spot.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting this year, since it's the first time we'll see four teams from the same conference in the eight-team bracket format. Since it's not a requirement to avoid interconference games in round one (just a preference), I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one all-OUA matchup in the first round - perhaps the 2-7 matchup, with UQTR against the OUA bronze medallist or host spot.
I am guessing the four OUA teams will play the two AUS + two CW teams, but you are right…the seeding principles only state “conference matchups will be avoided in the first round for the top 2 qualifiers from each conference”….ie/ they don’t want a conference championship rematch in the first round. But you could theoretically see any the top two OUA teams playing the 3/4 qualifiers in the quarterfinals.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I am guessing the four OUA teams will play the two AUS + two CW teams, but you are right…the seeding principles only state “conference matchups will be avoided in the first round for the top 2 qualifiers from each conference”….ie/ they don’t want a conference championship rematch in the first round. But you could theoretically see any the top two OUA teams playing the 3/4 qualifiers in the quarterfinals.
In this example, the worse case scenario for the OUA could be all four of their teams knocked out in the first two days. :oops:

Reactions: Drummer

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In this example, the worse case scenario for the OUA could be all four of their teams knocked out in the first two days. :oops:
I thought they originally had a 3 team limit per conference. Time for Quebec to get a conference or scrub their berths.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I thought they originally had a 3 team limit per conference. Time for Quebec to get a conference or scrub their berths.
This is the 1st time the OUA has hosted in the 8 team era. Prior to this the OUA had 3 and AUS/CW would alternate with a 2nd team.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The dance card is filling up. Half the slots are taken. 2 more will be decided today and the last 2 perhaps on Tuesday night.

OUA West will host the Queens Cup.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The dance card is filling up. Half the slots are taken. 2 more will be decided today and the last 2 perhaps on Tuesday night.

OUA West will host the Queens Cup.
Ottawa will still host in a potential Queens Cup final between OTT and TMU. But in all other possible scenarios, that's right - winner of OUA West will host the Queen's Cup.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought I read that the bronze medal game will be hosted in Ontario too. I thought it had been hosted by Quebec schools in the past…and that the “Ontario rule” only applied to the Queen’s Cup?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ottawa will still host in a potential Queens Cup final between OTT and TMU. But in all other possible scenarios, that's right - winner of OUA West will host the Queen's Cup.
Sorry. I'm giving game 3 to UQTR.

I thought I read that the bronze medal game will be hosted in Ontario too. I thought it had been hosted by Quebec schools in the past…and that the “Ontario rule” only applied to the Queen’s Cup?
The Bronze should be at the home of the higher "loser".

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
UQTR with a 1-0 win over OTT. The 4th OUA team is in.

UQTR and MCG in OUA East final, loser to host Bronze game.
WSR and TMU in OUA West final, winner to host Queens Cup.
An encouraging showing for Ottawa, finishing with over 40 points and taking UQTR to the wire. They should be a strong member of the UCup field next year as the host.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UQTR and MCG in OUA East final, loser to host Bronze game.
BRK and TMU in OUA West final, winner to host Queens Cup.
As of last season, both the Finals and Bronze game are to be 'hosted' in Ontario with the higher seed being the 'home team'. The OUA Manual seems to contradict itself....

"...the third-place game will be hosted by the team with the best overall record; if the records are identical the OUA general tie-breaking procedures will be used to determine the host of that game, which must be hosted in Ontario." Last season Concordia (19-7) went to Lakehead (18-9) despite the better record.

McGill (44pts) and UQTR (43pts) are higher than BRK (42pts) and TMU (39).

So, my take, the West will 'host' but the East team will be 'Home' for both games.

Reactions: Campy

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
With four OUA teams at the U Cup, this is the earliest we have ever known all the teams participating. Should be plenty of time for travelling fans to make arrangements.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm going to look in my crystal ball and predict the future.....

UNB over UdeM, UQTR over BRK in Queens Cup, MCG over TMU in Bronze game, CAL over UBC.

Seedings - UNB, CAL, UQTR, BRK, UBC, UdeM, MCG, TMU.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB over UdeM, UQTR over TMU in Queens Cup, McG over BRK in Bronze game, UBC over CAL.

Seedings - UNB, UQTR, UBC, TMU | CAL, McG, UdeM, BRK.

Groups: UNB vs BRK meet winner of TMU vs CAL |&| UQTR vs UdeM meet winner of UBC vs McG

* I have UdeM behind McG due to ELO and it avoids a UQTR/McGill rematch

Reactions: timbitca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad