2024 University Cup

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Impressive support from UNB fans/alumni.

UQTR will probably lose some big pieces, but they are very young so they should be a top contender again next season.

For those that were there…despite the crowds I did see it mentioned that the tournament was well-ran. Any comments on that?

Looked like a good crowd tonight, what was the attendance?
1456 according to the box score.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Impressive support from UNB fans/alumni.

UQTR will probably lose some big pieces, but they are very young so they should be a top contender again next season.

For those that were there…despite the crowds I did see it mentioned that the tournament was well-ran. Any comments on that?

1456 according to the box score.

Professionally run tournament for sure. As already mentioned, not much they could have done to increase attendance.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Running the table at any level of hockey is a truly remarkable achievement. Talent alone is not enough to attain that level of achievement. What impressed me was their response to UQTR's physical play early in the Gold Medal Game. UQTR came after them with numerous cheap shots and borderline hits, but UNB showed Championship composure and discipline. Congratulations to UNB. Love them or hate them, you have to tip your hat to that level of performance.

UQTR tends to have more roster turnover than other schools, but it would be foolish to bet against them returning in 2025.

McGill will certainly be back in 2025 ... they generally have little roster turnover, and at the top end of their roster virtually every player is returning. The way they won that Bronze Medal game, with a 3rd Period comeback on very little rest against the Host team, is the sign of a strong program.

I am curious about how much of TMU's 40-man roster will return. My suspicion is very little. I expect the entire top end of TMU's roster to be gone, and a return to mediocrity.

Look out for Ottawa in 2025. They have been slowly building a program in the mold of McGill. Ottawa has always lacked the high-end talent, but as Hosts they should get a recruiting boost.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Running the table at any level of hockey is a truly remarkable achievement. Talent alone is not enough to attain that level of achievement. What impressed me was their response to UQTR's physical play early in the Gold Medal Game. UQTR came after them with numerous cheap shots and borderline hits, but UNB showed Championship composure and discipline. Congratulations to UNB. Love them or hate them, you have to tip your hat to that level of performance.

UQTR tends to have more roster turnover than other schools, but it would be foolish to bet against them returning in 2025.

McGill will certainly be back in 2025 ... they generally have little roster turnover, and at the top end of their roster virtually every player is returning. The way they won that Bronze Medal game, with a 3rd Period comeback on very little rest against the Host team, is the sign of a strong program.

I am curious about how much of TMU's 40-man roster will return. My suspicion is very little. I expect the entire top end of TMU's roster to be gone, and a return to mediocrity.

Look out for Ottawa in 2025. They have been slowly building a program in the mold of McGill. Ottawa has always lacked the high-end talent, but as Hosts they should get a recruiting boost.

I don’t understand how you doubt TMU and Duco Staff. 124-44-14 in his 7th season with 3 regular season titles, OUA West Title and two 4th place finishes in last 3 years. Next year might be struggle but they will reload and be back stop being TMU hater. Why do you hate them?

I’m pretty sure i know why you hate them (AS)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I don’t understand how you doubt TMU and Duco Staff. 124-44-14 in his 7th season with 3 regular season titles, OUA West Title and two 4th place finishes in last 3 years. Next year might be struggle but they will reload and be back stop being TMU hater. Why do you hate them?

I’m pretty sure i know why you hate them (AS)
Hate is a pretty strong word....

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those curious about attendance, these are the numbers from CIS boxscores by game:

1633 was the UNB-TMU semi. Numbers were bostered by UNB fans.
This is reflected in the 307 figure for the Bronze game TMU-MCG. I would hazard that the MCG band outnumbered TMU fans.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Hate is a pretty strong word....

Maybe or maybe not. Word choice around rinks from Miami Hockey during his time in league or just talking to general public at rink (alumni) might need to be more careful who he speaks with

I’m Aus guy. I bash everyone equally but Miami hockey goes out of his way to derail TMU most

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
I would hazard that the MCG band outnumbered TMU fans.

This line made me chuckle.

Sadly, I expect similar attendance next year in Ottawa. There are simply too many hockey options for a city its size (Senators, 67s, PWHL), and the Gee-Gees typically play in front of family and friends.

The only good thing about it being in Ottawa is we will get more McGill fans traveling from Montreal, and (hopefully) some more UQTR fans making the trek. Ottawa is also eminently more affordable and enjoyable than Toronto for the UNB fans.

You know. I’m done with this conversation. Gl in future.

I don't know, but thank-you for your insight.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Indeed. Congrats to the Red Army.

Nice to see Dave Morell out on the ice.
Now there's a name I've not heard in quite some time. He was the radio PBP guy for the AHL Fredericton Express back in the 1980s. I think he did some Fredericton Canadiens games in the 90s too but he wasn't the main guy for them. Can't recall who was.

I guess as a UNB alum I should be somewhat pleased they won nationals again, but they've become so dominant at the AUS level now that instead I feel a bit sad that the conference has deteriorated to "UNB and everyone else." When I was a student in the 90s, UNB was just rising and had stiff competition from the likes of Acadia and UdeM, and STU could always give them a tough game despite never quite being as talented. Those "Battle Of The Hill" games down at the LBR were something else. Alas, those days shall never come again.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
For those who remember the great bust from 2001-02, here's something for you: Waterloo is hosting women's nationals in 2025. Don't worry, they're not using the Aud in Kitchener!

The host rink is the Dan Snyder Arena at the Woolwich Memorial Centre in Elmira, Ontario. It's a capacity of 1300, within a small community that supports the game, and is arguably a closer drive from UW's campus than downtown Kitchener.

It's 12 months away, but I can already guarantee it'll be a better fit than the Aud was in 2001-02 🙃

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Now there's a name I've not heard in quite some time. He was the radio PBP guy for the AHL Fredericton Express back in the 1980s. I think he did some Fredericton Canadiens games in the 90s too but he wasn't the main guy for them. Can't recall who was.

I guess as a UNB alum I should be somewhat pleased they won nationals again, but they've become so dominant at the AUS level now that instead I feel a bit sad that the conference has deteriorated to "UNB and everyone else." When I was a student in the 90s, UNB was just rising and had stiff competition from the likes of Acadia and UdeM, and STU could always give them a tough game despite never quite being as talented. Those "Battle Of The Hill" games down at the LBR were something else. Alas, those days shall never come again.
I agree with you on the "UNB and everyone else" comment. I got to know Dave from my days with SMU. Great guy and did a great job "running" the AUC.

For those who remember the great bust from 2001-02, here's something for you: Waterloo is hosting women's nationals in 2025. Don't worry, they're not using the Aud in Kitchener!

The host rink is the Dan Snyder Arena at the Woolwich Memorial Centre in Elmira, Ontario. It's a capacity of 1300, within a small community that supports the game, and is arguably a closer drive from UW's campus than downtown Kitchener.

It's 12 months away, but I can already guarantee it'll be a better fit than the Aud was in 2001-02 🙃
At the AUD in those 2 years it was quicker to announce the fans than the starting line up.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022

Great barn in a great hockey town, and the perfect size venue for this event.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I would expect to see the Pats and maybe McGill back at Nationals next year.
The OUA West could once again be the coin-flip conference it once was during the late 2000s and early 2010s. Habitually, we've seen teams rotate through 3-4-year strongholds - most recently, it's been Brock and TMU, as well as Windsor and Guelph before that. But both the nationals reps will have a lot of turnover this year, so it'll be interesting to see if they can restock in a way that'll keep them at nationals. Is it Toronto's turn? Laurier? Maybe a resurgence from Western or Waterloo? It's always the conference with the most parity.
In the east, things could get very interesting if Ottawa continues to build into a contender - they could very well earn their spot in the tournament, which would mean one of McGill or UQTR will not return.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The OUA West could once again be the coin-flip conference it once was during the late 2000s and early 2010s. Habitually, we've seen teams rotate through 3-4-year strongholds - most recently, it's been Brock and TMU, as well as Windsor and Guelph before that. But both the nationals reps will have a lot of turnover this year, so it'll be interesting to see if they can restock in a way that'll keep them at nationals. Is it Toronto's turn? Laurier? Maybe a resurgence from Western or Waterloo? It's always the conference with the most parity.
In the east, things could get very interesting if Ottawa continues to build into a contender - they could very well earn their spot in the tournament, which would mean one of McGill or UQTR will not return.

I was talking with a couple of Brock guys at the tournament on Saturday. They knew then that Ungar was going pro. Apparently the backup is graduating as well. If you look at the Badgers reason history they have had good luck finding stud goaltending.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looking ahead to next year’s tournament in Ottawa, it will be held at TD Place where the 67’s play out of. Capacity is 8500 but they might close off the upper deck which would put it just over 5000.

The Gee-Gees and the Ravens do play one regular season game there (Colonel by Classic) which usually draws a couple of thousand students. Now I don’t know if those students pay or get free tickets. Still I expect a better turnout for Ottawa’s home game than TMU managed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm curious who might be interested in bidding on the 2026 tournament. I wonder if Moncton, Saskatchewan, or UBC might be interested?

After the 2020 cancellation + 2022 tournament being moved to Wolfville, I would love to see Halifax get a chance to properly host again. I often wonder if it would make sense/be feasible for the AUS as a conference to bid on it and play it in Halifax. You could just send the top three AUS teams that year with the 3rd place team being the designated "host". Would that be doable, or does it carry too much risk without having a host school?

Reactions: timbitca

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I'm curious who might be interested in bidding on the 2026 tournament. I wonder if Moncton, Saskatchewan, or UBC might be interested?

After the 2020 cancellation + 2022 tournament being moved to Wolfville, I would love to see Halifax get a chance to properly host again. I often wonder if it would make sense/be feasible for the AUS as a conference to bid on it and play it in Halifax. You could just send the top three AUS teams that year with the 3rd place team being the designated "host". Would that be doable, or does it carry too much risk without having a host school?
Not sure about a whole conference, but the aforementioned K-W nationals back in 01-02 was co-hosted by three schools, who had a small tournament to determine the host berth. But to your point, not having a single host school was one of (many) issues in Kitchener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad