Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
understood,
clean for a month vs half a year is a huge difference that I'm not sure he's shown he could muster.
I'd love to be wrong though and hope he can stay clean if that is what he truly wants.
People can stay clean for years then relapse. You never know when it comes to drug and alcohol addiction. Even if Nuke stays clean and completes the program for 6 months, it doesn’t mean he won’t relapse later. He may not, but 6 months is nothing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not to toot my own horn (but I'm gonna :cool:) but I suggested that the Avs could be looking to trade Rantanen during the off-season back in January and I was mocked by 'some superstars' around here...

*If you are one of those superstars.... up yours!

My premise was that IF Landeskog was to show that he was able to continue his career, then that #96 was going to be the obvious one to move out because he was barely worth his current contract the way he's played this season, even though the points are there - let alone actually giving him a raise.

With how everything has played out, I don't think the Avs can continue to even pay him the $9.25M the way he's played for 95% of the regular season + the playoffs. The positive part for the Avs - as GM kyle dumbass has shown last season - there are plenty of NHL GMs who apparently DON'T WATCH THE GAMES and will make decisions like bringing in Erik Karlsson because of his 100+ point season last year.

So the Avs should get a really great haul when they make the correct decision and trade his ass out of town. As I suggested for an off-season trade a few weeks prior to the trade deadline - if Brady Tkachuk is indeed available as has been suggested and Rantanen is open to signing a massive extension with the Senators - we could be in line for a really fantastic trade if that should come true.

He's the exact kind of player we need, tbh.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You really have to want to get better to make it happen and lots of people just do not want it badly enough to ever recover
You have to remember, that participating in the assistance program is probably what is preventing the Avs from terminating his contract. Taking part in it doesn't necessarily signal that he views himself having a problem/wanting help, it's just something he has to do if he doesn't want to get cut.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
People can stay clean for years then relapse. You never know when it comes to drug and alcohol addiction. Even if Nuke stays clean and completes the program for 6 months, it doesn’t mean he won’t relapse later. He may not, but 6 months is nothing
Yep, the demon is never truly gone.
6 months is much more than nothing, but then again at times, so is 1 month and even 1 day.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Not to toot my own horn (but I'm gonna :cool:) but I suggested that the Avs could be looking to trade Rantanen during the off-season back in January and I was mocked by 'some superstars' around here...

You were not the only person calling for Moose to be moved, just one of those who could see more clearly into the path ahead. :nod:

Reactions: Bender and GeoRox89

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

My premise was that IF Landeskog was to show that he was able to continue his career, then that #96 was going to be the obvious one to move out because he was barely worth his current contract the way he's played this season, even though the points are there - let alone actually giving him a raise.

With how everything has played out, I don't think the Avs can continue to even pay him the $9.25M the way he's played for 95% of the regular season + the playoffs. The positive part for the Avs - as GM kyle dumbass has shown last season - there are plenty of NHL GMs who apparently DON'T WATCH THE GAMES and will make decisions like bringing in Erik Karlsson because of his 100+ point season last year.

So the Avs should get a really great haul when they make the correct decision and trade his ass out of town. As I suggested for an off-season trade a few weeks prior to the trade deadline - if Brady Tkachuk is indeed available as has been suggested and Rantanen is open to signing a massive extension with the Senators - we could be in line for a really fantastic trade if that should come true.

I've mentioned this a handful of times for over a year. Same rough responses. Everyone's coming around.

Reactions: Bender

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You were not the only person calling for Moose to be moved, just one of those who could see more clearly into the path ahead. :nod:
A lot of people have been calling for Rantanen to be traded...

...for capspace. Bringing in B. Tkachuck does save you some money, but not enough and especially not enough for next year. You trade Rantanen for Tkachuck, you can forget about re-signing Drouin.

The Avs, with all of their contracts, have around 77mil tied up for next year. Cap is going to be around 87mil. So you've got around 10mil to sign

- Mittelstadt
- Drouin
- Trenin
- Duhaime
- Cogs
- Kiviranta
- Parise
- Walker
- J. Johnson
- Jones

Now some of these UFAs are obviously going to go. Parise will retire. Cogliano is probably done as well. Can't keep Trenin or Duhaime probably. But you need to sign players to fill out the roster, on top of retaining Mitts and Drouin who everyone here I would assume want to keep.

Now Nuke situation is probably going to be solved one way or another, but we can't plan the summer around that. It can drag all the way to November, even beyond. If Landeskog can't play, that will free up additional money. Once again however, can't plan for such instance. At this moment we are presuming he's going to play.

If you trade Rantanen for futures and no dead money, you might be able to sing a lot of these players and beyond. But if you are trading for Tkachuk, someone else has to go as well. Maybe has to in any case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forceberg

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

For capspace. Bringing in B. Tkachuck does save you some money, but not enough and especially not enough for next year. You trade Rantanen for Tkachuck, you can forget about re-signing Drouin.
I did not advocate for specific returns on a Moose trade.

I would be in favor of using that cash to pay JD, and a young 2nd pair Dman who brings the physical upside that Manson currently offers.

I also believe we'll have free cash from Nuke's situation.

Reactions: DingusKong

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

I brought that idea up back in late November and people absolutely lost their minds. At the time I also wanted Lindholm which aged like milk in the regular season but he’s been fantastic for them since the playoffs started

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I also believe we'll have free cash from Nuke's situation.
A dangerous assumption. Eventually, yes. I don't think Nuke ever suits up for the Avs again. But as of right now, the most likely way the situation is resolved is via a trade after he is re-instated. Which would be in November. Not ideal.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
A dangerous assumption. Eventually, yes. I don't think Nuke ever suits up for the Avs again. But as of right now, the most likely way the situation is resolved is via a trade after he is re-instated. Which would be in November. Not ideal.
His contract will likely be terminated.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
His contract will likely be terminated.
Several insiders have already come out saying, citing league sources, that this situation does not present the Avs with a valid reason for a termination.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but not unless something new comes up. Maybe Nuke flat out fails this rehab during the 6 month suspension and that's that, straight to stage 4 and who knows. Or there has been some incident, that might give the Avs a proper reason.

But this is not the situation at this particular time. Nuke is under contract, and will be under contract for the next season and beyond.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Several insiders have already come out saying, citing league sources, that this situation does not present the Avs with a valid reason for a termination.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but not unless something new comes up. Maybe Nuke flat out fails this rehab during the 6 month suspension and that's that, straight to stage 4 and who knows. Or there has been some incident, that might give the Avs a proper reason.

But this is not the situation at this particular time. Nuke is under contract, and will be under contract for the next season and beyond.
I've seen contradicting reports to that as well. From my understanding it'll likely take the Avs also internally suspending him or some type of breach of team standards, ethics or his contract. In both cases this likely comes down to whether the Avs have the balls to do it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I've seen contradicting reports to that as well. From my understanding it'll likely take the Avs also internally suspending him or some type of breach of team standards, ethics or his contract. In both cases this likely comes down to whether the Avs have the balls to do it.
I would have to assume, that this would be their last option. They would explore a trade first. Because there would be a fight with the NHLPA, and it could get ugly. And in the end the Avs might be clipped by a cap penalty anyways if the termination wasn't 100% valid.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If they choose to go that route it'll be a very ugly battle and some sort of settlement will have to be reached, probably similar to what happened with Mike Richards and the Kings. And the Kings handled that situation about as incompetently as they possibly could.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If they choose to go that route it'll be a very ugly battle and some sort of settlement will have to be reached, probably similar to what happened with Mike Richards and the Kings. And the Kings handled that situation about as incompetently as they possibly could.
I think the Avalanche organization is smart enough to navigate the options for this. Knowing how some of this works on the corporate side, I wouldn't be shocked if there is already a lawyer or team exploring the options moving forward at this very moment. Not to act, but to present the options to management ASAP to have the information in their back pockets as this progresses.

I'll stick to my prediction that his contract is terminated at some point.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Avalanche organization is smart enough to navigate the options for this. Knowing how some of this works on the corporate side, I wouldn't be shocked if there is already a lawyer or team exploring the options moving forward at this very moment. Not to act, but to present the options to management ASAP to have the information in their back pockets as this progresses.

I'll stick to my prediction that his contract is terminated at some point.

I mean, it very could be Nuke himself who terminates it, I assume Stage IV does that automatically.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I mean, it very could be Nuke himself who terminates it, I assume Stage IV does that automatically.
The team has done a great job covering publicly for him and probably knows a lot more of what's going on than the fans do. Where there's smoke there is fire. This is clearly an issue that has been ongoing even before what happened in Seattle. If the Avs are smart they have good record keeping for their benefit. I still am sticking to the contract will be terminated, possibly by Nuke failing, or by the Avs. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence to shop him around, but I also don't think the Avs will take any chances.

Florida and Vegas are just jumping off the map at where I think he'll end up.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Well, one thing’s for certain, we’ll have some lively discussions to have this offseason, no boring times to be had in avsland.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012

...for capspace. Bringing in B. Tkachuck does save you some money, but not enough and especially not enough for next year. You trade Rantanen for Tkachuck, you can forget about re-signing Drouin.

The Avs, with all of their contracts, have around 77mil tied up for next year. Cap is going to be around 87mil. So you've got around 10mil to sign

- Mittelstadt
- Drouin
- Trenin
- Duhaime
- Cogs
- Kiviranta
- Parise
- Walker
- J. Johnson
- Jones

Now some of these UFAs are obviously going to go. Parise will retire. Cogliano is probably done as well. Can't keep Trenin or Duhaime probably. But you need to sign players to fill out the roster, on top of retaining Mitts and Drouin who everyone here I would assume want to keep.

Now Nuke situation is probably going to be solved one way or another, but we can't plan the summer around that. It can drag all the way to November, even beyond. If Landeskog can't play, that will free up additional money. Once again however, can't plan for such instance. At this moment we are presuming he's going to play.

If you trade Rantanen for futures and no dead money, you might be able to sing a lot of these players and beyond. But if you are trading for Tkachuk, someone else has to go as well. Maybe has to in any case.
That's exactly how it works:

LITR Landeskog till playoffs.
Terminate the contract of Nuke.
Trade Rantanen.
Find and sign new players who want to win.
Haven't had such an easy offseason in a long time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
but I also don't think the Avs will take any chances.
At this point, going for a termination with the present knowledge we (and the league) have heard would be taking a chance. With such a big contract, I would not want to take a risk of a cap penalty.

Make no mistake, there's approximately 1% chance that Nuke suits up for the Avs again. How they deal with his contract is yet to be determined. As of right now, trade is the easiest and safest bet, but would probably have to wait until November (in the earliest).

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
At this point, going for a termination with the present knowledge we (and the league) have heard would be taking a chance. With such a big contract, I would not want to take a risk of a cap penalty.

Make no mistake, there's approximately 1% chance that Nuke suits up for the Avs again. How they deal with his contract is yet to be determined. As of right now, trade is the easiest and safest bet, but would probably have to wait until November (in the earliest).
Agreed. I just think the whole Cap issue popping up mid-November will make it hard for them. Obviously he'll need some conditioning and time to get back into the groove if they want to trade him so they can probably hide the cap for a bit, but I don't think they'll take that chance unless they know they have a trade.

Dude was a hero for the cup in '22. He nerfed the next two on his own almost individually. He's gonna have a tough time getting an NHL job IMO.

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He's gonna have a tough time getting an NHL job IMO.
I don't think so. There will be plenty of teams willing to give him a chance, he's that good. And it's not like he comes with some terrible legal baggage, unless some new info surfaces regarding what happened in Seattle or regarding his substance abuse.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think so. There will be plenty of teams willing to give him a chance, he's that good. And it's not like he comes with some terrible legal baggage, unless some new info surfaces regarding what happened in Seattle or regarding his substance abuse.

Oh, I think doing this twice in two years, both times in the postseason, will definitely hurt his chances at getting another NHL gig. They won't shut him out completely but I don't think it'll be "plenty" of NHL teams lining up to get him. There will be teams interested for sure but no one will be chomping at the bit for the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad