Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I highly doubt they’d trade for him but the chances of the Habs acquiring a Francophone player are never, ever zero.
In this case it's zero.

They have so many dmen their GM is on record saying he doesn't know what he'd do if the BPA is a dman at the draft this year...and they pick top 5.

If anything they will trade a dman to us this summer :laugh:

On the left side alone they have 6 NHL caliber guys under contract.. Matheson, Guhle and Hutson are likely the 3 guys that will make the cut.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Montreal have so many NHL ready dmen in the pipeline there's 0 chance they trade for Girard.

They need to unload like 3 this summer because of a logjam.

If Montreal decide to make Kovacevic available he'd be a good target.

Probably looking at a 2nd or so but his $766,667 X 1 year contract would definitely be pretty valuable on the Avs roster, particularly as he plays a defensive and PKing role that would fit perfectly on the 3rd pairing next to Behrens.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Probably looking at a 2nd or so but his $766,667 X 1 year contract would definitely be pretty valuable on the Avs roster, particularly as he plays a defensive and PKing role that would fit perfectly on the 3rd pairing next to Behrens.
Not a bad get, but I still think we go with Malinski and a left handed defensive dman next year. The guy still has to be able to move to fit our system with a small bit of puck skill.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yea I've been saying that for 2 years now

He's a legit NHL caliber RD and he's making peanuts

He's 100% available, I expect them to move him this summer

Not a bad get, but I still think we go with Malinski and a left handed defensive dman next year. The guy still has to be able to move to fit our system with a small bit of puck skill.
Malinski can't PK...Kovacevic can.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the threat of not signing from NCAA players has gotten high enough that we’re starting to refer to it as a big get when a team signs their own draft picks?
It's stupid. They need to change it or something. It's broken.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's stupid. They need to change it or something. It's broken.
Nah. If anything teams are at an advantage. They get FOUR YEARS to ink these kids, as opposed to only two if they're in junior. If the kid wants to tough it out and play those four years so he gets to pick his spot, then so be it. The majority of NCAA prospects still sign with their respective teams. The only real outliers were guys like Adam Fox, and Fox made it pretty clear from the beginning IIRC there was only one place he was going to play in the NHL.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nah. If anything teams are at an advantage. They get FOUR YEARS to ink these kids, as opposed to only two if they're in junior. If the kid wants to tough it out and play those four years so he gets to pick his spot, then so be it. The majority of NCAA prospects still sign with their respective teams. The only real outliers were guys like Adam Fox, and Fox made it pretty clear from the beginning IIRC there was only one place he was going to play in the NHL.
Yup... there is nothing stopping CHL kids from doing the same. I do think with NIL, there will be more risk to NCAA kids though. The big schools will have zero issue plopping down 150-250k to keep/buy a contender. Which won't stop the top names... but those late 1st-4th rounders might stick around for a year or two longer and then parlay that into a NHL deal.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup... there is nothing stopping CHL kids from doing the same. I do think with NIL, there will be more risk to NCAA kids though. The big schools will have zero issue plopping down 150-250k to keep/buy a contender. Which won't stop the top names... but those late 1st-4th rounders might stick around for a year or two longer and then parlay that into a NHL deal.

I could definitely see that happening. Different sport but we almost saw it happen with Caitlin Clark and Iowa.

It's still not a huge concern IMO. Just something teams will have to prepare for, and it also means more NCAA free agents, so there's that.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I could definitely see that happening. Different sport but we almost saw it happen with Caitlin Clark and Iowa.

It's still not a huge concern IMO. Just something teams will have to prepare for, and it also means more NCAA free agents, so there's that.

Isn’t she the world superstar getting paid less than an elementary school teacher?

I saw that contract and thought it was absolutely ridiculous. She was incredible during March Madness.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Isn’t she the world superstar getting paid less than an elementary school teacher?

I saw that contract and thought it was absolutely ridiculous. She was incredible during March Madness.
Yeah, she's getting like $70k, which is ridiculous, but she's already inked an eight-figure endorsement deal, so she's making bank. Not nearly as much as her male counterparts of course but it ain't exactly chump change.

But that's why there was a real chance of the NCAA (or I guess it was the network) outbidding the pro league in this instance, if EVER it was going to happen with a top-tier first overall pick-level talent, it was going to be her, and it still didn't happen.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It is simply because nobody watches the WNBA. We're talking like 1.5m fans for a season... for the whole league, including the playoffs. Avs will probably be >800k by themselves. Then we don't even get into the revenue, where WNBA tickets can be had for ~10-15 with ease. I'd be shocked if the Avs alone didn't make more gate revenue than the whole WNBA did last year.

I hope Clark can change that. She is definitely a player worth watching and brings a whole new set of eyes into the league. This is their chance to finally step out onto their own two feet and get moving as a league.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Ha, I wish my elementary school teacher spouse made that much. Sad state of affairs all around. :(
Americans wildly underpay their teachers. Unless you don’t have the fifth year (uncommon), teachers here make ~100k CAD by year 8-10 (and through the rest of their career). My mom makes more on her pension (having retired before the biggest increases too) than a lot of American teachers do working, it’s crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad