Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
How is the best case scenario that our captain can't play hockey? 😭😿:cry:
He’s my all time favourite player and that includes hockey/football/soccer/basketball. Salary cap sucks. Worried we’re going to get 40% Landy playing at a 3rd or 4th liner level for 7 million and more or less slam the window shut right there

I’d kill for 80% Landy even if it means losing Lehky. Just not a lot of confidence that’s the guy we’re going to see after 2 years off

I’m still in the trade Mikko club since like November but I don’t think the team will do it

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have the same concern with moving Manson, but I also don't think Manson is irreplaceable.

IMO we see a roster similar to this (not my personal preference, just my expectation):

Nuke-MacK-Rants
Landy-Mitts-Ritchie
Wood-Colton-LOC
Kovy-Foudy-Vet
Vet

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
Behrens-Lyubushkin
Malinski

George
Annunen

Ritchie's style doesn't at all mesh with what Bednar wants out of his bottom 6.
Neither did Burakovsky or Newhook during that cup run but he made it work with them.

I'm not saying Ritchie will be a Colton replica, but if the Avs have a 3rd line next season of Landeskog - Ritchie - LOC I think those two wingers are more than capable of playing exactly how Bednar wants a 3rd line to with the cerebralness of Ritchie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Neither did Burakovsky or Newhook during that cup run but he made it work with them.

I'm not saying Ritchie will be a Colton replica, but if the Avs have a 3rd line next season of Landeskog - Ritchie - LOC I think those two wingers are more than capable of playing exactly how Bednar wants a 3rd line to with the cerebralness of Ritchie.
Newhook was a later playoff desperation thing more than actually wanting to play him. They replaced his role with Sturm prior to that run. Lehky usurped Burkie and Burkie was depth.

IMO the odds of the Avs utilizing a center like Ritchie as a 3C is incredibly low. He's much more likely to slot in at a top 6 wing spot than a bottom 6 center spot. Especially when you consider how high the odds are of the 4C being of low quality. If you had an ace 4C (like Dallas has in Faksa), maybe you take that risk. With Wagner, Foudy or Ivan... I don't see how you take that risk.

Reactions: missionAvs

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I still think best case scenario is we see Gabe back in the playoffs at a level where it’s clear that he’s not going to be ready to be back full time next year and he either LTIRetires (no one is batting an eye at that surgery not working well enough) or spends all next season on LTIR again targeting a playoff return because he ‘had a setback and had to start at square one’ like they’ve been talking about all year.
That would mean he will have missed three full seasons. At what point do you simply accept the (sad unfortunate) reality?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
That or we get back 80% Landy and just deal with having to let go of Lehky even though I’d hate to see it but that level of return from Gabe replaces him pretty well (career wise his production is something like 25% higher in the playoffs so it’s not like we’re replacing a clutch guy with a floater). Bednar’s system works best when they have at least 2 of Landy/Nuke/Lehky for the top 6 to be the gritty forechecking hardworking guy
This cannot be overstated. Two of them are also required for net front presence for screens and tips. The Avs' record when both Landy and Nuke are out at the same time is pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if it is below .500.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Jedlicka could also be an option at 4C. Bednar loved him at last TC.
Off topic but how much in demand do you think there would be for Bednar if he were available? Given his team’s style of play, it would pretty much require a change in style for a lot of clubs and I’m guessing that means being in sync with the GM.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Off topic but how much in demand do you think there would be for Bednar if he were available? Given his team’s style of play, it would pretty much require a change in style for a lot of clubs and I’m guessing that means being in sync with the GM.
I am sure there would be a LOT of interest from other teams. However the team hiring him would have to understand that the first year (or two) could hurt a lot in the standing, like it did with the Avs, until the roster is changed enough to match Bednar's system. But yes the GM and Bednar absolutely have to be on the same page.

Reactions: flyfysher

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

A ton of interest.

Organizations would buy-in to his style and give the time(2-4 years) to get the right personnel to start playing that way.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Nic Dowd!
He’s absolutely an option. Especially if you can get Caps to retain 50%. He’d be less than league minimum. But he’d probably cost a 2nd or decent-ish prospect. But then you probably have the most insane C depth in the league with MacKinnon, Mittelstadt, Colton, and Dowd. Would allow Kovalenko to take a bottom 6 spot at 892K. LOC and his amazing contract. I think they should seriously consider Dowd as a 4C option, but they might just want to save the assets and give someone a shot in house.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Newhook was a later playoff desperation thing more than actually wanting to play him. They replaced his role with Sturm prior to that run. Lehky usurped Burkie and Burkie was depth.

IMO the odds of the Avs utilizing a center like Ritchie as a 3C is incredibly low. He's much more likely to slot in at a top 6 wing spot than a bottom 6 center spot. Especially when you consider how high the odds are of the 4C being of low quality. If you had an ace 4C (like Dallas has in Faksa), maybe you take that risk. With Wagner, Foudy or Ivan... I don't see how you take that risk.
I think you take that risk knowing you can look for a center at the deadline. A September roster won't be a March roster. I think we all expect the bottom six to have some scrubs come training camp. I am very confident, though, that Artturi Lehkonen will also be at training camp with the Avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think you take that risk knowing you can look for a center at the deadline. A September roster won't be a March roster. I think we all expect the bottom six to have some scrubs come training camp. I am very confident, though, that Artturi Lehkonen will also be at training camp with the Avs.
I’m very confident that whatever route they take, Colton will not be a part of it.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
But he doesn’t maximize his value like he would in free agency. And its not like he’s not allowed to play an 8th year if he takes a 7 year deal.
The 8th year will guarantee him his12-14 million year, if he gets hurt etc. he’s gonna be 34 at the end he isn’t making 12-14 at that age. So there is incentive to getting that 8th year. If the Avs and rants decide to go this route, I’m in favor of paying rants…if they have a plan to extend makar. If it comes down to one of the two. I’m gonna choose makar

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The 8th year will guarantee him his12-14 million year, if he gets hurt etc. he’s gonna be 34 at the end he isn’t making 12-14 at that age. So there is incentive to getting that 8th year. If the Avs and rants decide to go this route, I’m in favor of paying rants…if they have a plan to extend makar. If it comes down to one of the two. I’m gonna choose makar

Thats already been mentioned and addressed.

If he goes to FA, he could easily make 1 to 1.5 more per year than what the Avs might offer or a team involved in a S&T might offer. You have to remember, the acquiring team is also giving up assets. Over years 1-7, 1M -1.5M more per year works out to 7 - 10.5 more in years 1 - 7. Additionally, he'd get to choose where he plays. So yeah, thered be year 8 but hed only have to make a fraction of his next annual salary to reach the amount of total of the 8 year deal. And you have to consider inflation 8 years from now too.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’m very confident that whatever route they take, Colton will not be a part of it.
I have been saying this for awhile, but did anything change for you? I thought you were in the camp that didn't expect the Avs to dismantle their newly found center depth.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I have the same concern with moving Manson, but I also don't think Manson is irreplaceable.

IMO we see a roster similar to this (not my personal preference, just my expectation):

Nuke-MacK-Rants
Landy-Mitts-Ritchie
Wood-Colton-LOC
Kovy-Foudy-Vet
Vet

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
Behrens-Lyubushkin
Malinski

George
Annunen

Ritchie's style doesn't at all mesh with what Bednar wants out of his bottom 6.
What’s lehky value, 2 firsts out of the question?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For shits, imagine they did make that trade I just mentioned at the deadline:

Dowd(@650k) + Lindgren for 2024 1st

Next year we would have:

Nuke - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Mitts - Lehky
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko
LOC - Dowd - ????

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - ????

George*
Lindgren

And if you assume ~$6M for Mitts. That group would be at ~$85.7M, so roughly $2M left for the remaining spots. Enough space to fill out a 20 man roster for sure.

And quite frankly at that point I'd argue George is the easy move to create the necessary remaining cap space to get to a 22 man roster, and just run Lindgren/Annunen as 1A/1B.

I have been saying this for awhile, but did anything change for you? I thought you were in the camp that didn't expect the Avs to dismantle their newly found center depth.

He's saying the opposite of what you think.

He's saying no matter what trades they make to get cap compliant, Colton isn't going to be part of those trades. Meaning he is staying.

What’s lehky value, 2 firsts out of the question?
Call me crazy but I think you could get a pretty high 1st for him, I'd bet teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Seattle(Especially if they steal Rod), Arizona Utah would all be lining up for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Thats already been mentioned and addressed.

If he goes to FA, he could easily make 1 to 1.5 more per year than what the Avs might offer or a team involved in a S&T might offer. You have to remember, the acquiring team is also giving up assets. Over years 1-7, 1M -1.5M more per year works out to 7 - 10.5 more in years 1 - 7. Additionally, he'd get to choose where he plays. So yeah, thered be year 8 but hed only have to make a fraction of his next annual salary to reach the amount of total of the 8 year deal. And you have to consider inflation 8 years from now too.
Just as a number that I’ve seen. 13.5 over 8 years to make that worth for a team acquiring him would cost 15.4 to equal it out(there abouts) IF they decide to go that path rants should give a place he’d want to play and the team works it out. That would be roughly 2 millions to the acquiring team, a lot of moving parts but it would be smart of all parties involved to do. I’m not saying it would happen either way. But to throw the baby out with the bath water …in the end the Avs are gonna pony up, unless being able to re-sign makar is a worry due to money. It’s worthy of discussion to talk about S&T

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
To think that the georgiev situation could throw a wrench in all of this. I hope the Avs figure that out. Irrationally I want georgiev gonzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad