Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Avs don't have a player with a bad enough contract to require attaching a 1st to.

We did before, being RyJo, but he's gone now.
We dont have truly awful contracts right now. Probably need to draft someone.
Let's check back in on Georgiev after round 2.
If you're upgrading the position/getting retention you can count on that 1st being gone.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yes, this is valid. IF Landeskog isn't counted.

However, Landeskog is currently under contract.

Now, please do the exercise with Landeskog included. This is where it gets messy.

This summer probably answers the question if Landeskog can come back. I guess management is cool with that.

But yes, this thread is f***ed up and probably involves other teams fans... trading Mikko Rantanen... haha... estupido incremento. There IS only one Mikko Rantanen and you can't have him! Not in cup run years at least.

And Georgiev is price worthy. The price you pay for being able to score goals when we want to.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not hard to replace this waste of 5M

Sammy was lucky he didn't get burned more in the Jets series. The last game especially.

Had multiple D zone turnovers that could have cost them. Usually when he saw forecheckers coming at him, which is an issue for him. He'll need to be better as they face better offensive teams that can bury their chances.

I didn't see anything to suggest he was the best D the prior two games either. He looked average, and then was bad in the last game, while Cale was great offensively and defensively, and didn't have the defensive lapses or turnovers he did during the regular season.

Toews was outstanding the whole series too. Some of the best two way hockey I've seen Devon play. They need him playing like that too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sammy was lucky he didn't get burned more in the Jets series. The last game especially.

Had multiple D zone turnovers that could have cost them. Usually when he saw forecheckers coming at him, which is an issue for him. He'll need to be better as they face better offensive teams that can bury their chances.

I didn't see anything to suggest he was the best D the prior two games either. He looked average, and then was bad in the last game, while Cale was great offensively, and didn't have the defensive lapses he did during the regular season.

Toews was outstanding the whole series too. Some of the best two way hockey I've seen Devon play. They need him playing like that too.
I thought Sammy was really good his first game back, but I agree last night was not his best. I noticed two really bad turnovers on the same shift, and that pairing overall just wasn't good. Thankfully the other two pairings seemed to pick up the slack for them.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Sammy was really good his first game back, but I agree last night was not his best. I noticed two really bad turnovers on the same shift, and that pairing overall just wasn't good. Thankfully the other two pairings seemed to pick up the slack for them.

Yeah Manson had a bit of an adventure in the series. Not just the bad giveaways, and own goal, but he was handling the puck like a grenade on quite a few occasions.

I remember taking note multiple times at the end of the regular season, and the playoffs, that he was very uncharacteristiaclly reluctant to grab a guy who was going after his teammates in a scrum, and didn't seem interested in fighting at all. Much more passive than usual, while his teammates were more aggressive.

I kind of chalked that up to not wanting to get injured in a fight right before/during the playoffs, or perhaps Bednar having a talk with him about that, but then when I saw how much he was fighting the puck, it got me wondering if maybe he had a broken hand or finger or something?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I kind of chalked that up to not wanting to get injured in a fight right before/during the playoffs, or perhaps Bednar having a talk with him about that, but then when I saw how much he was fighting the puck, it got me wondering if maybe he had a broken hand or finger or something?

I dunno, it's possible I suppose but he seems pretty comfortable handling the puck when he's carrying it up the ice. In close puck battles that's where something seems to be off. Overall though, as Balthazar has pointed out, he's become the team's new version of Ryan Graves, when he was supposed to be the exact opposite.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dunno, it's possible I suppose but he seems pretty comfortable handling the puck when he's carrying it up the ice. In close puck battles that's where something seems to be off. Overall though, as Balthazar has pointed out, he's become the team's new version of Ryan Graves, when he was supposed to be the exact opposite.

Yeah he seems ok carrying it and shooting it. There were multiple times though where the forward just passed the puck back to him in the D zone with no one around, and he was having trouble handling it. Very odd.

Combine that with the turnovers, the own goal, and a more passive approach to scrums, and it raises some questions. May be nothing though.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I didn't see anything to suggest he was the best D the prior two games either. He looked average, and then was bad in the last game, while Cale was great offensively and defensively, and didn't have the defensive lapses or turnovers he did during the regular season.

Not terrible not great. But, to be honest, didn’t see a 4M difference between Girard and Jones.

And what’s continuously frustrating about Girard is how often he’s disconnected. His teammate needs an outlet and Girard, for some inexplicable reason will skate to center ice. That’s just one example.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Meh, he had a terrible game that truly dragged his numbers down but for the series, he actually beat Makar in literally everything (CF, FF, GF, HDCF, etc) but xGF%.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 162141.png

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Meh, he had a terrible game but that dragged his numbers down but for the series, he actually beats Makar in everything but xGF%.

View attachment 863208

I'm not basing it off their stats though. I'm basing it off how they played. Makar and Toews were significantly better than G IMO.

It's a 5 game sample size too, which makes it ripe for false conclusions with analytics. Even a regular season's worth can be misleading with some of the public stats.

Like Caleb Jones having the best xGF% on the Avs in the playoffs, followed by JJ, and Sean Walker. Does that sound like an accurate ranking of the Avs D men in the Jets series?

Does this league xGF% ranking look like it accurately portrays the best defenseman in the playoffs?

1) Alexander Alexeyev
2) Nils Lundkvist
3) Lucas Johansen
8) Dylan McIlrath
9) Caleb Jones
10) Jack Johnson
11) Parker Wotherspoon
12) Sean Walker
13) Ian Cole
18) Quinn Hughes
22) Devon Toews
28) Miro Heiskanen
43) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
50) Cale Makar
54) Sam Girard

Manson has the best xGF in the NHL. Walker is 4th. Cale is 27th, even though he was way more dangerous than those two.

HDCF, Manson is 3rd in the NHL, Walker is 4th, and JJ is 7th somehow. Makar is 59th, which doesn't even make sense.

Same with Corsi. Jones had the best on the Avs D, followed by Manson who struggled at times, and Walker who was kinda meh. Makar was 7th. Does that sound accurate?

Does this league ranking in CF% look like it accurately portrays the best defenseman in the playoffs?

1) Nils Lundkvist
2) Jalen Chatfield
3) Alexander Alexeyev
4) Caleb Jones
5) Tony DeAngelo
8) Quinnn Hughes
17) Josh Manson
22) Sean Walker
30) Ian Cole
31) Devon Toews
33) Sam Girard
38) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
46) Victor Hedman
48) Miro Heiskanen
56) Jack Johnson
63) Cale Makar
68) Charlie McAvoy

In general, Toews isn't being talked about enough for how great he played in the series. I've been critical of him at times, but that was some of the best hockey I've ever seen him play, and nobody is talking about it, because I think we've taken on kind of a dogmatic view of analytics recently IMO.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm not basing it off their stats though. I'm basing it off how they played. Makar and Toews were significantly better than G IMO.

It's a 5 game sample size too, which makes it ripe for false conclusions with analytics. Even a regular season's worth can be misleading with some of the public stats.

Like Caleb Jones having the best xGF% on the Avs in the playoffs, followed by JJ, and Sean Walker. Does that sound like an accurate ranking of the Avs D men in the Jets series?

Does this league xGF% ranking look like it accurately portrays the best defenseman in the playoffs?

1) Alexander Alexeyev
2) Nils Lundkvist
3) Lucas Johansen
8) Dylan McIlrath
9) Caleb Jones
10) Jack Johnson
11) Parker Wotherspoon
12) Sean Walker
13) Ian Cole
18) Quinn Hughes
22) Devon Toews
28) Miro Heiskanen
43) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
50) Cale Makar
54) Sam Girard

Manson has the best xGF in the NHL. Walker is 4th. Cale is 27th, even though he was way more dangerous than those two.

HDCF, Manson is 3rd in the NHL, Walker is 4th, and JJ is 7th somehow. Makar is 59th, which doesn't even make sense.

Same with Corsi. Jones had the best on the Avs D, followed by Manson who struggled at times, and Walker who was kinda meh. Makar was 7th. Does that sound accurate?

Does this league ranking in CF% look like it accurately portrays the best defenseman in the playoffs?

1) Nils Lundkvist
2) Jalen Chatfield
3) Alexander Alexeyev
4) Caleb Jones
5) Tony DeAngelo
8) Quinnn Hughes
17) Josh Manson
22) Sean Walker
30) Ian Cole
31) Devon Toews
33) Sam Girard
38) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
46) Victor Hedman
48) Miro Heiskanen
56) Jack Johnson
63) Cale Makar
68) Charlie McAvoy

In general, Toews isn't being talked about enough for how great he played in the series. I've been critical of him at times, but that was some of the best hockey I've ever seen him play, and nobody is talking about it, because I think we've taken on kind of a dogmatic view of analytics recently IMO.
this isn’t directed at anyone in particular but man what a time we live in when people are so reliant on analytics. I get it to a point, after all the object is to score more than the other team and goals are a stat but oh boy there are a lot of people that want to die on the analytic hill rather than observe for themselves and take away who they thought were good/bad.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Do you honestly think Ottawa trades that for one year of Rantanen? Get real.

Obviously some contract talks will be taken beforehand. But I mean Calgary traded RFA Tkachuk for 1 year of Huberdeau and Weager before they became UFAs, both re-signed after being traded though. Ottawa gets the better winger and D man, but Avs get more cost certainty with not a major downgrade.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
If you could get the curly haired freak and Chychrun for Rants, I think you have to do it. There's a downgrade in offense to Brady, but he's a 95 point player next to MacK, at least... and he's physical as hell while being 4-5m cheaper long-term. Chychrun for all of his faults is a legit top pairing D. If he was a right shot, he'd be a no brainer to have long-term. For next year, he'd be more than good enough to keep the defense good and can play the right side.

I don't see why Ottawa would do this though.
Would be for the exact same reasons Calgary preferred an established player when trading Matthew.

I don’t think Ottawa is at a point where futures would be their priority in the event of a trade request. Ottawa wouldn’t be forced to trade him as he’s signed for awhile but the Tkachuks have a way of getting these type of things done

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not terrible not great. But, to be honest, didn’t see a 4M difference between Girard and Jones.

And what’s continuously frustrating about Girard is how often he’s disconnected. His teammate needs an outlet and Girard, for some inexplicable reason will skate to center ice. That’s just one example.

I think some of those outlets are by design. Trying to find holes the opposition left open, while they take away the normal routes. They had forwards skating back toward the D zone in the middle of the ice against Winnipeg as outlets during controlled breakouts a couple times too.

But in general I agree. I think that $5M is a lot for mostly breakout play, with little else, and they seem to do fine with him out, but I would still be surprised if they move him after moving Bo.

The thing I'm mostly concerned with though are the turnovers. He kind of is what he is with his defensive coverage down low and in front of the net. That will always be an issue, because of his physical limitations.

The turnovers are mental, and preventable though, but seem to happen a lot when forecheckers pressure him. He needs to play at a quicker pace on puck retrievals, and keep his feet moving, and know what he's gonna do, and where his outlets are, before he starts to get worried about being hit. Feels like sometimes he tries to figure it all out at the last second, and by then it's too late.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Obviously some contract talks will be taken beforehand. But I mean Calgary traded RFA Tkachuk for 1 year of Huberdeau and Weager before they became UFAs, both re-signed after being traded though. Ottawa gets the better winger and D man, but Avs get more cost certainty with not a major downgrade.

You’re delusional. If Rantanen doesn’t reach an agreement with the Avs, what then makes the most sense to him is to go to free agency where he maximizes his value and can choose where to play.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

1) Alexander Alexeyev
2) Nils Lundkvist
3) Lucas Johansen
8) Dylan McIlrath
9) Caleb Jones
10) Jack Johnson
11) Parker Wotherspoon
12) Sean Walker
13) Ian Cole
18) Quinn Hughes
22) Devon Toews
28) Miro Heiskanen
43) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
50) Cale Makar
54) Sam Girard

1) Nils Lundkvist
2) Jalen Chatfield
3) Alexander Alexeyev
4) Caleb Jones
5) Tony DeAngelo
8) Quinnn Hughes
17) Josh Manson
22) Sean Walker
30) Ian Cole
31) Devon Toews
33) Sam Girard
38) Roman Josi
44) Adam Fox
46) Victor Hedman
48) Miro Heiskanen
56) Jack Johnson
63) Cale Makar
68) Charlie McAvoy

The stats don't lie. They are what they are. Shots are shots. Chances are chances. Yes, the rankings make total sense when you also consider how f***ing sheltered Jones and JMFJ were and Walker to a lesser extent.

You can hate Girard all you want, but that doesn't mean he had a terrible series. It also doesn't mean that he was "lucky" to not have done worse. He actually did...okay. I'm not out here trying to convince anybody he's a world beater, he's not; but what what he is, is a perfectly adequate top 4 LD. The absolute dragging through the mud he gets around here is pretty unwarranted.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I see people wanting to trade Lehky or Manson frequently in this thread…you don’t trade players bring have an extra gear when playoffs time come. I understand the complains about Manson but you just have to live with it in my opinion. Also of all the acquisitions at the TDL, Trenin should also be one of the player the Avs should try to resign.

I don’t have anything against G but if the Avs were trying to move anyone to free up cap is him for me.
like X10 ^. You can't get these type of players anywhere , the kind that every teams would like on their roster , so when you have those players you make sure to keep them and you just have to live with their flaws .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
like X10 ^. You can't get these type of players anywhere , the kind that every teams would like on their roster , so when you have those players you make sure to keep them and you just have to live with their flaws .
I get the desire to not trade these guys. I 100% do... but this idea that they can't be found is kinda crazy and not at all with reality. Both of them were acquired via trade for a reasonable amount. One of the best playoff performers relative to their regular season, Claude Lemieux, was traded 4 times and played for 6 teams. These guys move around and can be found.

It is a cap reality that somebody will be the sacrificial limb. There is not enough space for everyone with Landy coming back (and level of play is TBD, but he's playing next season). So you get into a debate of do you move the high dollar guys like Rants to keep the depth, or do you move 1-2 low dollar guys to keep the stars? There is merit to both sides, but teams, most often, keep the stars.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's a balance of cap hit/salary negotiations, actual trades offered, and performance.
If there was no cap we'd just keep everyone.
Makar and MacKinnon only untouchables.
I'd add there are untouchables via NMC clauses and other issues. Namely Landy, Toews, and Nuke for those. Then there is the next group of unlikely due to recent acquisition/team building. Mitts, Colton, Girard, and Colton. Then the group of contracts that are either too odd or fit too well with the cap hits in Wood, LOC, and Annunen.

In the first group we 100% know they aren't moving. Second group very unlikely like 90/10. Third group 75/25. The rest of the team is purely up in the air. One of the RD will have to stay. Beyond that, we will just have to see.

Reactions: Chiarelli

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I'd add there are untouchables via NMC clauses and other issues. Namely Landy, Toews, and Nuke for those. Then there is the next group of unlikely due to recent acquisition/team building. Mitts, Colton, Girard, and Colton. Then the group of contracts that are either too odd or fit too well with the cap hits in Wood, LOC, and Annunen.

In the first group we 100% know they aren't moving. Second group very unlikely like 90/10. Third group 75/25. The rest of the team is purely up in the air. One of the RD will have to stay. Beyond that, we will just have to see.
Really driving home that point that you don’t think they’d move on from Colton, hey? Was one of these actually supposed to be something else or did you just forget you’d said him one name earlier?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Really driving home that point that you don’t think they’d move on from Colton, hey? Was one of these actually supposed to be something else or did you just forget you’d said him one name earlier?
tenor.gif

Just me being a dummy.

They gave Colton a full NTC that couldn't kick in until this July 1. They spent a good amount getting a 3C and they finally built the center depth back up with the moves. Teams don't abandon that in less than a year.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Really hoping Mittelstadt will play nice in negotiations.
Maybe he's had fun winning for once and we get a Toews like buy in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad