Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I don't see why Rants settles for Pasta's contract... but if you apply Pasta's percentage to the expected cap, you basically get to MacK's contract. If the NHL and NHLPA can get together and agree on something to get past the 5% inflator (which I doubt, but possible). You get to 13m at 95 and change.
I don't see how he can reasonably ask for much more if he wants to be on a competitive team.
Pasta has the higher goal scoring and total points season and they both have 2 x 100 point seasons.

rants 2x 40 goal+ (5x30+)
pasta 4x40+ (7x30+)

pasta 6x ppg
rants 6xppg

similar age and Rants will have more career earnings. If he wants more than MacK you look for a d trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see how he can reasonably ask for much more if he wants to be on a competitive team.
Pasta has the higher goal scoring and total points season and they both have 2 x 100 point seasons.

rants 2x 40 goal+ (5x30+)
pasta 4x40+ (7x30+)

pasta 6x ppg
rants 6xppg

similar age and Rants will have more career earnings. If he wants more than MacK you look for a d trade.

As a UFA, he doesn't have to justify a comparable. He's worth what the market will pay. Panarin was the last realy elite UFA winger to hit the market, and we know he actually took a bit less to play in New York. Considering he was at 14.29% of the cap.. it is probably reasonable to think somebody was at 14.5-15%. But if you simply take that 14.29% to the 92m expected cap... you get 13.15m. Pasta gave a discount to stay in Boston. Not a huge one, but shows right there.

If Rants is willing to push it, he can find a 13.5m deal with relative ease IMO. The Avs likely can't afford that. We have a history with Rants that he is willing to push it to get a bigger deal. It is reasonable to expect he will do the same again. Now I think he will give a discount to the Avs, but how much is up for debate. His agent will know there is a 13.5m deal out there (if not more), so each penny off that is a discount. More than a million discount isn't all that common. A million happens, 500k is the pretty normal.

IMO 13m +/- 250k is where this will land. He will get more than MacK, but not a ton more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So what are the odds that we start 2024/25 with Mikko not extended already?
I would say decently high. Toews didn't re-sign until just after the start of the season and that was a bit simpler of a deal with a player that doesn't have a history of being difficult in this respect. The last thorny UFAs were all done near the wire (Nuke and Landy). I don't expect a deal for Rants prior to next training camp. Now training camp to early season I could see it. Then the chances are there would be a pause until Feb/March.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As a UFA, he doesn't have to justify a comparable. He's worth what the market will pay. Panarin was the last realy elite UFA winger to hit the market, and we know he actually took a bit less to play in New York. Considering he was at 14.29% of the cap.. it is probably reasonable to think somebody was at 14.5-15%. But if you simply take that 14.29% to the 92m expected cap... you get 13.15m. Pasta gave a discount to stay in Boston. Not a huge one, but shows right there.

If Rants is willing to push it, he can find a 13.5m deal with relative ease IMO. The Avs likely can't afford that. We have a history with Rants that he is willing to push it to get a bigger deal. It is reasonable to expect he will do the same again. Now I think he will give a discount to the Avs, but how much is up for debate. His agent will know there is a 13.5m deal out there (if not more), so each penny off that is a discount. More than a million discount isn't all that common. A million happens, 500k is the pretty normal.

IMO 13m +/- 250k is where this will land. He will get more than MacK, but not a ton more.
But he’ll also have to weigh the fact that it’s 7 vs 8 years with the Avs.
12.5 for 8 years vs 13.5 for 7 years is like Rants receiving a 5.5M 8th year when hes in his age 37 season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
But he’ll also have to weigh the fact that it’s 7 vs 8 years with the Avs.
12.5 for 8 years vs 13.5 for 7 years is like Rants receiving a 5.5M 8th year when hes in his age 37 season.

Not necessarily, Avs could sign and trade. They wouldn't get full value obviously, but entirely possible to do. Alongside that, the cap is probably 120+m in that 8th year... which means that's like a $3.75m player today. Different positions, but similar legacy... Malkin is making 6m this year (his age 37 season) and got over 24 on that contract.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
If Landy doesn't come back we can keep Drouin and maybe Sean Walker. If he's any good. Also, I rather keep Drouin than Colton.
On walker, I’d rather they look for a youngish player in the mold of Manson. Doesn’t have to be that level yet, but someone the scouting staff identifies as that style of player that they feel can grow.

On Landy, I think we have to pencil him in to start the next season. If he doesn’t, it is what it is but we can’t be well in excess of the cap limit with unknowns, that’s not a good recipe for success imo.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Anaheim needs a pure scorer and leader who still fits around the kids timeline.
PV wants a RH shot apparently, but at least that is a team with a bushel full of cost controlled young Fs and Ds at least worthy of building a package around as well as no cap considerations. I also think they are closer to leaving the rebuild status than this season reflects.

I have no interest in reading this Marner stuff. That is a player who while really good has never intrigued me as a potential Av.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Toews didn't re-sign until just after the start of the season and that was a bit simpler of a deal with a player that doesn't have a history of being difficult in this respect.
The fact that the Avs and Rants have a history when it comes to difficult contract negotiations gives me hope that they'll do the same thing that they did with Tyson Barrie and ROR and trade his ass before they have to deal with this shit again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The fact that the Avs and Rants have a history when it comes to difficult contract negotiations gives me hope that they'll pull a Tyson Barrie and trade his ass before they have to deal with this shit again.

They did it with ROR too.
We get to a PR and franchise thing here... Rant is one of the premier faces of the franchise and recently won a Cup as a major part of that team. The business side takes over here and it would be a disaster PR wise to move Rants over a ~1-2m difference per year.

I truly think there is a strong case to move Rants. I see almost not chance of it actually happening. Outside of Rants saying he wants to be traded, I just don't see it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the Avs (and MacKinnon himself) can reconcile the fact of Rantanen making more than Mack. I think he'll come in either just under or matching.
Why not? Rants made (a lot) more until MacK's recent contract. Additionally this starts in year 3 of MacK's contract. If that is the hill the Avs will die on, there is a non-zero chance Rants walks.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Why not? Rants made (a lot) more until MacK's recent contract. Additionally this starts in year 3 of MacK's contract. If that is the hill the Avs will die on, there is a non-zero chance Rants walks.
then so be it. MacK is a far superior player. Rants can not carry a team with championship aspirations as the #1 guy. He accepts less than or equal to MacKinnon or you move on. He's made a lot and got a good contract last go round which MacKinnon did not (relative). If he wants market value you simply move on.

Reactions: Avs9296

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
then so be it. MacK is a far superior player. Rants can not carry a team with championship aspirations as the #1 guy. He accepts less than or equal to MacKinnon or you move on. He's made a lot and got a good contract last go round which MacKinnon did not (relative). If he wants market value you simply move on.
I'd argue his market value is around 15% and anything less is a discount. That's still less than MacK, but due to cap growth it would be much higher dollar amount.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Thanks. A little before my time. Started watching/became an Avs fan in 1999 when I was 7 or 8 years old.

PS - anyone else have this gem on their wall growing up:

View attachment 862304

These were awesome too:

View attachment 862306
I was going through some old old cards and found some Classic Draft Picks cards that I guess I hadn't looked at in decades and found a Peter Forsberg. Noice!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"Hey Mikko, they're trying to trade you again and pretending like there's any chance that could happen....."

200w.gif

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
If you're dealing Rants to philly you target Sanhiem or Drysdale.

Maybe toss in Guly to give Michkov a friend his age.

Wait, we have to add a 1st round prospect now to trade Rantanen?

It keeps getting better and better.

Rantanen for Marner. Now someone please tell me why I'm an idiot and should be banned from this forum.

I feel like Marner would benefit being on a line where he would not be expected to be the main puck carrier. In way he's kind of like an elevated version of Drouin, who has thrived next to Mack.

Rantanen's effort level has been bad for two seasons now. I thought he'd turn it on on the playoffs, but he has not. Yes he gets his points on Mack's line, and he does things that complement him well, but he just seems complacent out there. Compare his motor to Nuke's. Two big boys who can skate and impose themselves with their size, except one prefers to float and doesn't use his size effectively. Rantanen is also subpar in the D-zone, whereas Marner is actually very competent.

Marner could benefit from a change of scenery. He's a greedy bastard, but if he likes in Colorado he may not try to squeeze every dime out of them if he's happy.

Rantanen is a 100 pt player and 40 goal scorer. He is a very good NHL'er. He is going to carry a lot of trade value because of his gaudy numbers. But those numbers don't tell the whole story. Even if not for Marner, the Avs would be wise to listen to offers this offseason rather than losing him for nothing.

*Now watch Rantanen go into full Moose beast mode for the remaining of the playoffs, winning the Conn Smythe and making me look like an ungrateful whiner*

Is this post for real?

I wouldn’t take Mitch Marner for free.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Went back to read what our Trade Rumors and Free Agency thoughts were around early May last season.... we were a bit unsettled

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Is this post for real?

I'm not great at evaluating trade value but for a first pairing RHD on a great contract I'd guess Rants might not get it done without a significant + especially given the fact he would be making 13+ in this scenario.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Is this post for real?

Have you considered keeping an open mind towards different ideas of making the team better?

You were completely against the idea of the Mittlestadt-Byram swap. Do you still feel the same way? Wasn’t that a perfect example of you disagreeing with an idea that seemingly made the team better?

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Have you considered keeping an open mind towards different ideas of making the team better?

You were completely against the idea of the Mittlestadt-Byram swap. Do you still feel the same way? Wasn’t that a perfect example of you disagreeing with an idea that seemingly made the team better?

I wasn’t against the trade. I knew we had to do it but I was very wary about the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad