Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
you play hardball with Rants in contract negotiations.
If he wants more than MacK he can play elsewhere.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
CMac built this team for the playoffs. If you cannot step up your game and contribute at this time of year you're a passenger.

Mitts, Leaky, Nuke, Cale- Examples of playoff quality players. These guys NEVER get traded.

Who has not yet stepped up?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
CMac built this team for the playoffs. If you cannot step up your game and contribute at this time of year you're a passenger.

Mitts, Leaky, Nuke, Cale- Examples of playoff quality players. These guys NEVER get traded.

Who has not yet stepped up?
Two of those guys were acquired via trade and another was just let go by Dallas lol

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
you play hardball with Rants in contract negotiations.
If he wants more than MacK he can play elsewhere.

I'd say he is too valuable to be lost for nothing, which is a risk if they play hardball. Or even as a own rental, too valuable.

This summer it's either sign him (might be a big mistake) or trade his ass.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Two of those guys were acquired via trade and another was just let go by Dallas lol
It is always interesting to me that these playoff warrior types are guys who fans think are never traded and you never let go of... yet two of the very best playoff performers (relative to their regular season play) of all time were journeymen... Pepe and Justin Williams. ROR has also performed very well in the playoffs, even winning a Selke, and he is on his 5th franchise.

There is most certainly value to performing in the playoffs, but teams still make moves outside of that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is always interesting to me that these playoff warrior types are guys who fans think are never traded and you never let go of... yet two of the very best playoff performers (relative to their regular season play) of all time were journeymen... Pepe and Justin Williams. ROR has also performed very well in the playoffs, even winning a Selke, and he is on his 5th franchise.

There is most certainly value to performing in the playoffs, but teams still make moves outside of that.

I think you meant Conn Smythe but you are of course correct that he won the Selke the same year.

Regardless it's a valid point. If anything locking one of these guys down after a great playoff run can be a mistake. Fernando Pisani, Bryan Bickell, etc.

Reactions: henchman21

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

who is?

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Claude Lemieux.
Thanks. A little before my time. Started watching/became an Avs fan in 1999 when I was 7 or 8 years old.

PS - anyone else have this gem on their wall growing up:

1714493273075.png

These were awesome too:

1714493309027.png

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Rantanen for Marner. Now someone please tell me why I'm an idiot and should be banned from this forum.

I feel like Marner would benefit being on a line where he would not be expected to be the main puck carrier. In way he's kind of like an elevated version of Drouin, who has thrived next to Mack.

Rantanen's effort level has been bad for two seasons now. I thought he'd turn it on on the playoffs, but he has not. Yes he gets his points on Mack's line, and he does things that complement him well, but he just seems complacent out there. Compare his motor to Nuke's. Two big boys who can skate and impose themselves with their size, except one prefers to float and doesn't use his size effectively. Rantanen is also subpar in the D-zone, whereas Marner is actually very competent.

Marner could benefit from a change of scenery. He's a greedy bastard, but if he likes in Colorado he may not try to squeeze every dime out of them if he's happy.

Rantanen is a 100 pt player and 40 goal scorer. He is a very good NHL'er. He is going to carry a lot of trade value because of his gaudy numbers. But those numbers don't tell the whole story. Even if not for Marner, the Avs would be wise to listen to offers this offseason rather than losing him for nothing.

*Now watch Rantanen go into full Moose beast mode for the remaining of the playoffs, winning the Conn Smythe and making me look like an ungrateful whiner*

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Rantanen for Marner. Now someone please tell me why I'm an idiot and should be banned from this forum.

I feel like Marner would benefit being on a line where he would not be expected to be the main puck carrier. In way he's kind of like an elevated version of Drouin, who has thrived next to Mack.

Rantanen's effort level has been bad for two seasons now. I thought he'd turn it on on the playoffs, but he has not. Yes he gets his points on Mack's line, and he does things that complement him well, but he just seems complacent out there. Compare his motor to Nuke's. Two big boys who can skate and impose themselves with their size, except one prefers to float and doesn't use his size effectively. Rantanen is also subpar in the D-zone, whereas Marner is actually very competent.

Marner could benefit from a change of scenery. He's a greedy bastard, but if he likes in Colorado he may not try to squeeze every dime out of them if he's happy.

Rantanen is a 100 pt player and 40 goal scorer. He is a very good NHL'er. He is going to carry a lot of trade value because of his gaudy numbers. But those numbers don't tell the whole story. Even if not for Marner, the Avs would be wise to listen to offers this offseason rather than losing him for nothing.

*Now watch Rantanen go into full Moose beast mode for the remaining of the playoffs, winning the Conn Smythe and making me look like an ungrateful whiner*
You've watched Marner these playoffs ... right? Rants turns it up in the playoffs (still been making some bonehead plays), Marner is scared to get hit. If you trade Mikko you target the best young RD you can find.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well for one, the entire reason we trade Mikko is for cap space.

So why don't you tell us how trading Mikko for a player making $2M more than him is a productive idea.

Reactions: missionAvs

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If you're dealing Rants to philly you target Sanhiem or Drysdale.

Maybe toss in Guly to give Michkov a friend his age.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I don't see how Rants gets more than MacKinnon.
He gets the Pastrnak contract + cap increase %.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't know why you'd do that trade. As others have stated, if you're trading the Moose, you're trying to free up cap space. Trading for Marner doesn't do that, unless you're going to let Marner walk in 2025.

Also, Rants' effort level has been bad for two seasons? His effort level has been uneven for way longer than that. It's who he is. Ya just gotta learn to accept it. That said, I don't know why you'd cite LAST season as a problem. When the team was losing bodies left and right and there was no center depth to speak of, Rants stepped up. Slag him all you want for this season, but it's kinda silly to diss him for last year's effort. He was arguably their best player, he most certainly was for a good stretch there when they almost no other impact players in the lineup.

Lastly, I don't care how talented he is, I want absolutely nothing to do with Mitchell Marner. For a guy who got paid superstar money to play for his hometown team, he sure does come off whiny and petulant. At the risk of sounding cliche, the best players in any sport meet the moment, and he never has, despite oodles of talent and hockey sense to spare. Mikko, on the other hand, has.

So much talk about how players live for the playoffs. Remember, they're literally playing for free right now. Marner comes off as a guy who DREADS the postseason. There were like, two consecutive years where he was so goddamned nervous he launched the puck out of play. And I'm not even talking about a Patrik Nemeth long bomb that goes just over the glass on the far end. He howitzer'd it into the frickin' rafters like he thought the net was near the scoreboard. For such a smart player he sure does play dumb after Game 82.

Would a change of scenery do him some good? Probably. But that's not a guy I'd ever bet on. He's not the primary reason the Leafs continually faceplant in the postseason, but he sure as f*** ain't the solution either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see how Rants gets more than MacKinnon.
He gets the Pastrnak contract + cap increase %.
I don't see why Rants settles for Pasta's contract... but if you apply Pasta's percentage to the expected cap, you basically get to MacK's contract. If the NHL and NHLPA can get together and agree on something to get past the 5% inflator (which I doubt, but possible). You get to 13m at 95 and change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad