Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. No team is completely ironclad going into the playoffs but regardless of Little G's stature, he's still a top 4 D on a cup contender. I would also argue that Little G would be deployed in a top 4 spot on plenty of playoff teams and not just those with lesser expectations. This team already has a solid top 4 and Manson who is a 4-5 most nights but can have bouts of winding back the clock and playing like a top 4 guy. This team won't win/lose a cup due to having Little G in the top 4.

It's fine, agree to disagree.

I just think as it gets deeper in the playoffs, the battles for space intensifies and G becomes a weak link.

And what is frustrating to me, is that we've seen it before.

Reactions: missionAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
An approach to the cap crunch situation that I haven't seen discussed here much is to go short term (2-3 years) with Mittelstadt to keep his AAV at $5m or less.

I think the Avs might HAVE to go bridge with Mitts to get under the cap next year, and they may still lose Drouin, Manson/Lehky, and perhaps most or all of the other newcomers.

Which would mean Mitts would likely walk to UFA in 2-3 years.

Maybe the Avs pull another rabbit out of the hat with an RFA contract, but $5M seems pretty unlikely. Doesn't seem to match some of his comps.

Zegras is a very comparable player, with comparable stats, and looking to prove himself, and his bridge was 6.89% of the cap. Which would be $6,042,530 under an $87.7M cap next year.

Cirelli and Terry are good comps for long term deals. Their cap percentage would put Mitts at $6,647,660 - $7,349,260 on a 7-8 year deal.

My guess is Mitts would get $5.75-6M on a 2-3 year deal or $7M long term. Both will cause issues next year.

Casey Mittelsdadt
Position - C/W
Career High - Currently on a 19 goal 61 point pace - 0.74 pts/gm

Trevor Zegras
Position - C
AAV/Term - $5.75M x 3
Cap % - 6.89%
Career High When Signed - 23 goals 65 points in 81 games - 0.78 pts/gm

Anthony Cirelli
Position - C
AAV/Term - $6.25M x 8
Cap % - 7.58%
Career High When Signed - 16 goals 44 points in 68 games - 0.65 pts/gm

Troy Terry
Position - C/W
AAV/Term - $7M x 7
Cap % - 8.38%
Career High When Signed - 37 goals 67 points in 75 games - 0.89 pts/gm

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's fine, agree to disagree.

I just think as it gets deeper in the playoffs, the battles for space intensifies and G becomes a weak link.

And what is frustrating to me, is that we've seen it before.
We also saw Nichushkin be pretty awful in the playoffs until the cup run. Now I’m not expecting a Nuke like meteoric rise for Girard. But not every cup run is created equal. If we lose because Girard is in the top 4 we were never going to win the cup anyways.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We also saw Nichushkin be pretty awful in the playoffs until the cup run. Now I’m not expecting a Nuke like meteoric rise for Girard. But not every cup run is created equal. If we lose because Girard is in the top 4 we were never going to win the cup anyways.
I'm not saying Girard is physical by any stretch. But I do think he's been less... timid? since he returned from the program. I've stood up for him pretty frequently, but even I admit this is going to be a big test for him. I think he's up to it, but I generaly try to be optimistic until proven wrong.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Casey is good enough, and young enough he could be a 2C for 8 or more years. If you have a few guys that stick around in core slots, retooling should be easier.

Reminded me of this. :laugh:

iu

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm not saying Girard is physical by any stretch. But I do think he's been less... timid? since he returned from the program. I've stood up for him pretty frequently, but even I admit this is going to be a big test for him. I think he's up to it, but I generaly try to be optimistic until proven wrong.

Unfortunately, i'm pessimistic until proven wrong. I envy you.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Problem #1 (FOCUS ON THIS ONE) should've been corrected two or three years ago. And that is why i have very little confidence this year's team can win a Cup.

But maybe, if we had addressed Problem #2 this past TDL, we would at least have a better option to enter the lineup when G goes down (we know it's gonna happen eventually).

I love G, but he shouldn't be playing for a Cup contender, he should be playing for a team with lesser expectations, helping a younger team.
The intensity of your G hate is disproportionate... One could almost extrapolate from your quotes that there should not be small defensemen in the NHL playoffs, because they are all liabilities. Maybe its a DeLorien thing that brought us back to the 1990's NHL style of hockey... ?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The intensity of your G hate is disproportionate... One could almost extrapolate from your quotes that there should not be small defensemen in the NHL playoffs, because they are all liabilities. Maybe its a DeLorien thing that brought us back to the 1990's NHL style of hockey... ?

I don't hate G, i just don't think we can succeed (as in actually winning the whole thing) with him.

And while this is not 90's NHL anymore, just take a look at recent Cup winners and you'll see some similarities.

Napoleon was 5’6” and took over most of Europe.

But not all of Europe.

Reactions: ABasin

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Playoffs will be the big test. It's an entirely different game from the regualr season.

Much more phsycial, and teams have way more time and tape to find weaknesses, target players, and exploit them. I think this happend a lot to him in the Vegas series.

Hopefully he does well, but there's going to be some physical teams, that play fast enough to skate with the Avs, that they're going to have to go through this year.

Preds, Canucks, and Knights are 2nd, 5th, and 9th in the NHL in hits/game. Avs are 26th.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Playoffs will be the big test. It's an entirely different game from the regualr season.

Much more phsycial, and teams have way more time and tape to find weaknesses, target players, and exploit them. I think this happend a lot to him in the Vegas series.

Hopefully he does well, but there's going to be some physical teams, that play fast enough to skate with the Avs, that they're going to have to go through this year.

Preds, Canucks, and Knights are 2nd, 5th, and 9th in the NHL in hits/game. Avs are 26th.
Gotta remember though, Manson was deliberately brought in to play with Girard as a result of that Vegas series. We've really not seen them together in the playoffs due to injuries. I think having the Manimal riding shotgun with him will help in addition to any skills he picked up in the program on dealing with stress and the kind of thought processes you need to maintain your will in a hotly contested series.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gotta remember though, Manson was deliberately brought in to play with Girard as a result of that Vegas series. We've really not seen them together in the playoffs due to injuries. I think having the Manimal riding shotgun with him will help in addition to any skills he picked up in the program on dealing with stress and the kind of thought processes you need to maintain your will in a hotly contested series.

Manson mostly helps G by taking on most of the responsibility defending the net front, and to an extent the down low battles, though both guys inevitably have to play in both areas.

Teams can still target G by dumping the puck into his corner and sending multiple forecheckers at him though.

This is how he broke his sternum too. It was just one forechecker, but they clearly targeted him with a slow dump in and a fast forecheck, where he'd get to the puck behind the net, right in time for a big hit.

This will be the big test for him in the playoffs. He'll have to turn, and react very quickly to dump ins, keep is feet moving, and make good passes under pressure.

Against Vegas, and at other times during his career, he's played a bit too worried to get hit when he sees guys coming at him or hears footsteps, and has rushed passes under pressure that resulted in costly turnovers.

He's been better at this since returning from his break, but he hasn't faced the playoff test yet, and the Preds, Nucks, and Knights will all surely look to target him in this fashion with a fast, heavy forecheck.

Last edited:

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
What if ..
No Gabe next year
Trade lehky for Pinto(2x2.5)+?
Move Colton back to LW
Sign duhaime

Colton Nate Mikko
kovalenko Mittelstadt Nuke
Wood Pinto Duhaime