2024 Team Board Mock Draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wonder how much his recent 3 p0int game the the World's affected the vote.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Wonder how much his recent 3 p0int game the the World's affected the vote.

Probably none, tbh. The board absolutely loves him. Especially the draft guys on our forum. Makes a ton of sense as a fit for what the devils need too.

I voted Helenius. I personally just think it's a more likely selection based on absolutely nothing except my own gut lol

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Devils are going nutz for MBN. If they believe in his physicality, then ya, i can see that. Certainly more ready than a player like Sennecke.

MBN feels like a bunt single. Like I think he's definitely an NHLer but not sure he has that much upside.

I feel like the consensus on MBN is backwards. To me he looks exactly like a guy you want in your top six.

He wins an outsized majority of his battles and has a great shot. He looks like a bigger version of Oliver Bjorkstrand. And yes he should be ready soon.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think the Nygard and Helenius vote is actually pretty close however you can only vote for one, Most fans would be fine with either.

Anyway, players like Nygard that are big forechecking puck hounds are hard to come by and rarely get traded and are extremely valueable. Players like Crouse, Bennet, Svechnikov, Nuke etc.

The Panthers are successful because they have diverse roster that can usually outplay the opponent at their own type of game, If its a track-meet or trying to carry it into the zone they have the players that can do that. If the lanes are clogged they have the players that can dump and chase and win board battles.

Right now the Devils are really only good at track meets/drop pass rushes, and carrying in the puck, When they are forced to dump and chase the opponent usually clears the puck out of the zone in short order.

Helenius does some of the same things and reminds me a lot of Hischier, I just see Nygard as having a higher ceiling.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Nygard and Helenius vote is actually pretty close however you can only vote for one, Most fans would be fine with either.

Anyway, players like Nygard that are big forechecking puck hounds are hard to come by and rarely get traded and are extremely valueable. Players like Crouse, Bennet, Svechnikov, Nuke etc.

The Panthers are successful because they have diverse roster that can usually outplay the opponent at their own type of game, If its a track-meet or trying to carry it into the zone they have the players that can do that. If the lanes are clogged they have the players that can dump and chase and win board battles.

Right now the Devils are really only good at track meets/drop pass rushes, and carrying in the puck, When they are forced to dump and chase the opponent usually clears the puck out of the zone in short order.

Helenius does some of the same things and reminds me a lot of Hischier, I just see Nygard as having a higher ceiling.

You're doing it wrong.

You're only supposed to draft players for their rush skills.

Ideally your team of the future will never have to dump and chase because they will just outskill everyone. So don't draft anyone for their ability to recover pucks. You'll never not have it.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Devils are going nutz for MBN. If they believe in his physicality, then ya, i can see that. Certainly more ready than a player like Sennecke.
Devils are going to be happy for MBN. Faster, better skater, better shot, better compete level, better positional game, great 200 foot game overall. Produced great in play off with young partners in much more competitive league. It’s not the same as producing with one of the best players of the league against weaker competition.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Bump so I can remember to vote for flyers.

Sabres poll is closed and looks like they took Helenius.

I'll be going Yakemchuk for flyers

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Will be surprised if real life imitates HFB, but if it does I'm down for Yakemchuk at #13.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yakemchuk is interesting, He has the shiniest tools but it is yet to be seen if he has the toolbelt to hold all of it. If he can get a bit smarter and think a little faster then he'll be great. Definitely a bit of a risky pick with a potential for a big payoff.

Jiricek meanwhile would be the safer option with still a bit of ceiling to reach for.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yakemchuk is interesting, He has the shiniest tools but it is yet to be seen if he has the toolbelt to hold all of it. If he can get a bit smarter and think a little faster then he'll be great. Definitely a bit of a risky pick with a potential for a big payoff.

Jiricek meanwhile would be the safer option with still a bit of ceiling to reach for.
The guy who didn't play all year is a safer pick?

Being able to play is a major factor in determining a player's worth. You can't just hand someone a ranking because of what he was in a previous season, otherwise Eiserman would be ranked #2 and rivaling Celebrini for the #1 oa spot right now.

At this point Jiricek is an unknown.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Surprised the Flyers fans went so heavily with Parekh over Yak. I know they are craving offense from the blueline but Yak has some pretty great tools too and IMO a much higher floor should the offensive development never match the toolset at the highest level.

I would assume the critical piece in favor of Parekh that maybe slanted Flyers fans that way was his potential as a real PP QB and orchestrator?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The guy who didn't play all year is a safer pick?

Being able to play is a major factor in determining a player's worth. You can't just hand someone a ranking because of what he was in a previous season, otherwise Eiserman would be ranked #2 and rivaling Celebrini for the #1 oa spot right now.

At this point Jiricek is an unknown.
I just see Jiricek as having all the fundamentals needed to at least be a at max a 2nd pairing and is easier to project to what he is going to be while Yak has higher skills then Jiricek but has a fairly large gap in his decision making. which makes his range go from a bottom pairing D to a first paring D to 1D

Jiriceks biggest weakness is how he skates which can be fixed
Yak's is his ability to think the game. That one is way harder to fix but possible.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just see Jiricek as having all the fundamentals needed to at least be a at max a 2nd pairing and is easier to project to what he is going to be while Yak has higher skills then Jiricek but has a fairly large gap in his decision making. which makes his range go from a bottom pairing D to a first paring D to 1D

Jiriceks biggest weakness is how he skates which can be fixed
Yak's is his ability to think the game. That one is way harder to fix but possible.

Adam Jiricek's skating is his strongest selling point. It's really good. His weakness, at least from Czech league, is decision making. That and his shot sucks. I don't see him having a second pair floor, too much risk for a player whose last real positive showing was the Hlinka.

Yakemchuk I think can fix up a lot of his play reading, but yes I can see why folks question his ability to think the game. His most fundamental problem is the back pivots (similar to David Jiricek), I think that part of his skating is more of a problem than any part of Adam Jiricek's skating.

Reactions: Blueston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Surprised the Flyers fans went so heavily with Parekh over Yak. I know they are craving offense from the blueline but Yak has some pretty great tools too and IMO a much higher floor should the offensive development never match the toolset at the highest level.

I would assume the critical piece in favor of Parekh that maybe slanted Flyers fans that way was his potential as a real PP QB and orchestrator?

I am more put off by Parekh's downside risk than Yakemchuk's, but he is such a good creator that I don't think we should be too surprised that anyone prefers him.

I'd actually have been more surprised if the Flyers board went the other way. The Flyers board is strongly biased in favor of smaller players. They were negatively polarized by having a bad FO that prioritized size. So even though Cutter Gauthier was 5th on Bob's list, to them he was clearly an enormous reach for size by incompetent idiotic Flyers FO. Probably the weirdest board on HF, they've chased away the Flyers HFers that knew what they were talking about.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I am more put off by Parekh's downside risk than Yakemchuk's, but he is such a good creator that I don't think we should be too surprised that anyone prefers him.

I'd actually have been more surprised if the Flyers board went the other way. The Flyers board is strongly biased in favor of smaller players. They were negatively polarized by having a bad FO that prioritized size. So even though Cutter Gauthier was 5th on Bob's list, to them he was clearly an enormous reach for size by incompetent idiotic Flyers FO. Probably the weirdest board on HF, they've chased away the Flyers HFers that knew what they were talking about.
To be fair my initial reaction was probably firmly rooted in my old concept of the Flyers “6-3 big good”. My bias definitely has Yakemchuk in a Flyers sweater lol. Definitely not saying it would outrageous for them or anybody to prefer Parekh.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020

Yeah, the Flyers board is strange. I get the team has done nothing to inspire confidence from Hextall to Fletcher but any optimism is laughed at. It’s mostly a Flyers bashing forum. I’ve definitely noticed a mindset of “small= good, big=bad” there and it’s head scratching. Small players can be good but so can big players.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Flyers board is very big on getting the most skilled small player every draft.

Agree with you, unfortunately

Reactions: majormajor

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think Chernyshov is probably BPA now, Sadly a team forum will pick him probably around the 18-20th pick.

#nohype

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad