Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I have to begrudgingly admit that Anthony Gordon is an absolutely amazing player

He'll also never sign for Liverpool in a million years

No one is signing Guimaraes for 100m. Such a good player, but that market really seems to be easing off and he turns 27 this fall.

Reactions: Blender and Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rice was as much of a sure thing as you'll ever see for a 100M signing. I was a bit hesitant to pay that much last summer even though I loved the player. In hindsight, we could have paid an extra 50M and I would have been happy with it. But at least from an Arsenal perspective, I don't think of Bruno G as the same level of "sure thing" as Rice was last summer.

But to your point, Caicedo was less proven than Bruno G is now, so him going for 115M does support that argument. Caicedo being younger though.

Even if that's the new going rate, the release clause expiring before 6/30 is sure to be an issue for a lot of EPL clubs. I think that Newcastle will keep him or a deal will be agreed after 6/30 if he does move.
if anything, Rice’s success probably makes it more likely. If they don’t get 100 they can certainly get close. And the teams that would want Bruno will have the ability to pay it. There aren’t any Rices on the market this summer.

Endo did about as well as he could have done, but LFC could have won the league with Caicedo this year, (and better finishing) . These players make a big deal.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No one is signing Guimaraes for 100m. Such a good player, but that market really seems to be easing off and he turns 27 this fall.
if anything, Rice’s success probably makes it more likely. If they don’t get 100 they can certainly get close. And the teams that would want Bruno will have the ability to pay it. There aren’t any Rices on the market this summer.
I won't be shocked if he does go for 100M. The market doesn't make any sense and there's plenty of inflated fees to go around these days. Not that my opinion will matter, but I just think of him as more of a 70M player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have to begrudgingly admit that Anthony Gordon is an absolutely amazing player

Yeah, I was quick to judge Gordon after he left Everton. Also seems a really intelligent player. Highly recommend this if someone hasnt seen it yet:

No way anyone should be spending on 100 million on Guimaraes regardless of the market or his age (unless you’re going to tie his age to his legs).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Well only one way to find out. Newcastle don’t exactly need the money so they can stick to their valuation. But yeah, I’d be testing their resolve either way

As for Gordon, I don’t think he’s saying no to a move to LFC if the offer is right, and I will leave it at that

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well only one way to find out. Newcastle don’t exactly need the money so they can stick to their valuation. But yeah, I’d be testing their resolve either way

As for Gordon, I don’t think he’s saying no to a move to LFC if the offer is right, and I will leave it at that

I think they do though, don’t they? That is if they want to spend big. I mean within the confines of FFP. Their owners have the cash, but they can’t just splash it.

I think if you’re Newcastle you set a high price if people are enquiring, but if it’s closer to his true value you just hold on to him. After all, the ink is still relatlively wet on his current contract.

I think Newcastle need to stay the course to a large degree and remain patient. They’ve been hit hard with injuries and of course a suspension. I would think they would be looking to add more quality to bolster their overall squad so a repeat of this season’s issues wouldn’t affect them as much. Maybe go and get 2-3 quality players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think they do though, don’t they? That is if they want to spend big. I mean within the confines of FFP. Their owners have the cash, but they can’t just splash it.

I think if you’re Newcastle you set a high price if people are enquiring, but if it’s closer to his true value you just hold on to him. After all, the ink is still relatlively wet on his current contract.

I think Newcastle need to stay the course to a large degree and remain patient. They’ve been hit hard with injuries and of course a suspension. I would think they would be looking to add more quality to bolster their overall squad so a repeat of this season’s issues wouldn’t affect them as much. Maybe go and get 2-3 quality players.
For sure. I mean they have Bruno, Gordon and Isak they could sell and re-invest. Isak will have the most attention but he is the one they can least afford to lose. Gordon you might be able to shake loose because Minteh is coming back. Bruno kind of his own category. You sell him that’s space to get Tonali back in and they are high on Anderson and Miley too.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No on Gordon. Too expensive. Played for Everton.

The Kudus contract has a clause it seems according to Orenstein. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Liverpool get that done if so

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
For sure. I mean they have Bruno, Gordon and Isak they could sell and re-invest. Isak will have the most attention but he is the one they can least afford to lose. Gordon you might be able to shake loose because Minteh is coming back. Bruno kind of his own category. You sell him that’s space to get Tonali back in and they are high on Anderson and Miley too.

Yeah, but I would only sell if an astronomical offer came in and Gordon would be last on my list of available players. I would think that even with FFP they could bring in two good players and hold on to the players you mentioned.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Has Gordon actually become good? Against BVB he was your classic mediocre English attacker who looks like he runs really hard but doesn't do much that's actually useful.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Has Gordon actually become good? Against BVB he was your classic mediocre English attacker who looks like he runs really hard but doesn't do much that's actually useful.
And when they battered PSG he was one of the best players on the pitch. Always recommend a sample size of, well, anything bigger than one!

He's very good. Probably the best presser in the Premier League (something which a German fan should know as something extremely useful :D), extremely direct, and very clever in his movement. Both his finishing and his final ball have gotten a lot better, as demonstrated by him being one of only four players in the PL this year to hit double digits for both G+A (him, Palmer, Watkins, and Salah).

Over the course of this season he's gone from 'never in a million years' to basically a guarantee for the England squad, and he'll likely be used regularly from the bench.

Reactions: Blender and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And when they battered PSG he was one of the best players on the pitch. Always recommend a sample size of, well, anything bigger than one!

He's very good. Probably the best presser in the Premier League (something which a German fan should know as something extremely useful :D), extremely direct, and very clever in his movement. Both his finishing and his final ball have gotten a lot better, as demonstrated by him being one of only four players in the PL this year to hit double digits for both G+A (him, Palmer, Watkins, and Salah).

Over the course of this season he's gone from 'never in a million years' to basically a guarantee for the England squad, and he'll likely be used regularly from the bench.

That's why I asked instead of assuming that's all he was lol

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thiago Alcantara and Joel Matip are officially leaving LFC as their contracts have ended.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Thiago Alcantara and Joel Matip are officially leaving LFC as their contracts have ended.
klopp had the audacity to call matip the best free transfer of all time

he's not even the best free transfer of a centre back to the premier league since klopp has been managing liverpool

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
klopp had the audacity to call matip the best free transfer of all time

he's not even the best free transfer of a centre back to the premier league since klopp has been managing liverpool
I don’t think it’s an audacious statement, but it’s not a hill I am going to die standing on either. I think Milner might edge it for me as best free transfer for LFC, but he also came under Rodgers

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

🔺Will we then spend that much?
The club is making a loss. In other words, if we don't use the credit card, we can basically only spend about 100m if we play in the Europa League and like 55m if we play in the Europa Conference League.

GMsGcM0WsAAI5NQ

So basically United need to sell players and hope some one is stupid smart enough to pay a lot for them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They also note that’s before sales. And they’re planning on selling Sancho and Greenwood.

Greenwood for say 15M lets you spend 75M on a new player. Sancho for 25M lets you spend something like 50M on a new player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad