Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
this really has gone on too far.

Realistically, you could argue Firmino should not have played. I don’t know his blood alcohol level, but 46 mg seems to be in the lower range for English punishment. Under the penalties, it’s a suspended license and a fine (not even that hefty except footballer). It’s a stupid action and he clearly took responsibility. But there’s not a lot of sports leagues where he would be suspended more than a game or two (even if that). NFL is one that does but that’s only been really recent in response to a number of them.

Either way, anyone even suspected of assault or rape is a different category, and I would not want them playing for my club if there were some investigation or legitimated proof. The Partey one is pretty gross, and I think there’s legitimate belief he did it. If the statue limits it, that confuses me, but he would not be a player I would want playing for a club I support.

But back to transfers hopefully

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What Firmino did was wrong, but he was trying to find his hotel and drove on the wrong side of the road going 10 mph in a lower speed area at 3AM. Let's put it in the right context please.

Reactions: robertmac43

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
this really has gone on too far.
Yes, I agree it's gone on too long, but that's mostly because Savant has kept shifting the goal posts whenever one of his "gotcha" lines makes no sense.

Realistically, you could argue Firmino should not have played. I don’t know his blood alcohol level, but 46 mg seems to be in the lower range for English punishment. Under the penalties, it’s a suspended license and a fine (not even that hefty except footballer). It’s a stupid action and he clearly took responsibility. But there’s not a lot of sports leagues where he would be suspended more than a game or two (even if that). NFL is one that does but that’s only been really recent in response to a number of them.

Either way, anyone even suspected of assault or rape is a different category, and I would not want them playing for my club if there were some investigation or legitimated proof. The Partey one is pretty gross, and I think there’s legitimate belief he did it. If the statue limits it, that confuses me, but he would not be a player I would want playing for a club I support.
I didn't bring Firmino into this conversation to criticize his character or Klopp/Liverpool, but rather it was a rebuttal to saying "Arteta props up his criminal, my manager would never." And I've been very adamant that I'm not saying the allegations against Partey are of equal severity.

If you guys feel that anyone accused of rape/assault should be treated as if they are guilty, then that's your belief. The truth of it is that we'll likely never have a conclusive answer as to whether Partey actually committed the alleged acts.

I'll leave it at that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, I agree it's gone on too long, but that's mostly because Savant has kept shifting the goal posts whenever one of his "gotcha" lines makes no sense.

I didn't bring Firmino into this conversation to criticize his character or Klopp/Liverpool, but rather it was a rebuttal to saying "Arteta props up his criminal, my manager would never." And I've been very adamant that I'm not saying the allegations against Partey are of equal severity.

If you guys feel that anyone accused of rape/assault should be treated as if they are guilty, then that's your belief. The truth of it is that we'll likely never have a conclusive answer as to whether Partey actually committed the alleged acts.

I'll leave it at that.
Shifting goal posts is trying to bring up a DUI to compare against multiple sexual assualts. I’m not the one moving the goal posts here. I’m also very clearly not the one keeping this alive.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Bottom line is City stopped playing Mendy, and United stopped playing Greenwood. Arsenal never stopped playing Partey. And they all ended up as "nothing but allegations". It's bad optics.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Bottom line is City stopped playing Mendy, and United stopped playing Greenwood. Arsenal never stopped playing Partey. And they all ended up as "nothing but allegations". It's bad optics.
United certainly didn't handle it well. I think the only reason they stopped playing Greenwood is that they were afraid of losing sponsors/afraid of protests if they didn't.

It wasn't some moral statement on what he did, it was a business calculation.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It's never a moral statement with corporations, I'm not 12. Arsenal just calculated their fans were more ok with those kind of allegations than those in Manchester, and apparently they were right.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's never a moral statement with corporations, I'm not 12. Arsenal just calculated their fans were more ok with those kind of allegations than those in Manchester, and apparently they were right.
I am fine with playing Partey until he's guilty. I am fine sending him to a gulag if/when he's guilty as well. The problem is that Partey's evidence is just accusations, could they be true? Oh absolutely, but again all they are, are accusations. Greenwood has physical evidence against him. Putting Partey and Greenwood in the same sentence is wrong, not because Thomas is innocent, but because one actually has soundwaves where he can be charged against if the victim did not drop the case, Thomas is just "she said, he said" as of now.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I am fine with playing Partey until he's guilty. I am fine sending him to a gulag if/when he's guilty as well. The problem is that Partey's evidence is just accusations, could they be true? Oh absolutely, but again all they are, are accusations. Greenwood has physical evidence against him. Putting Partey and Greenwood in the same sentence is wrong, not because Thomas is innocent, but because one actually has soundwaves where he can be charged against if the victim did not drop the case, Thomas is just "she said, he said" as of now.
I agree the Partey/Greenwood situation is different. City had no issues sending Mendy to football gulag though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I agree the Partey/Greenwood situation is different. City had no issues sending Mendy to football gulag though.
And what do you think of the fact he wasn't proven guilty?
Doesn't that give teams an agument that they should not suspend a player before he is actually guilty?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I think these charges are difficult to prove but when seven women accused you you have trouble understanding consent. He can get acquitted but I still think City did the right thing. And now I feel dirty for defending them.

Reactions: S E P H and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Marca are reporting that Bayern are preparing a 100M euro bid for Araujo.

Sky is linking Bayern to Maatsen if Davies leaves.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think these charges are difficult to prove but when seven women accused you you have trouble understanding consent. He can get acquitted but I still think City did the right thing. And now I feel dirty for defending them.
They didn't do the right thing by the law. They deemed him guilty before the trial (which pretty much all of us did BTW) and now are getting sued by Mendy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't read too deeply in Partey, but this goes to another aspect we need to consider; the amount of victims. I believe Partey has one person against him at the moment, Mendy had like 4-6, where each victim's accusation increases the likelihood that their story is verifiable. Partey has less evidence against him at this point in time than CR7, who had claims of sexual assault multiple times in his life IIRC.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They didn't do the right thing by the law. They deemed him guilty before the trial (which pretty much all of us did BTW) and now are getting sued by Mendy.
Innocent until proven guilty only applies to the government. City wasn't required to treat him as innocent. He's suing them over unpaid wages, not over being booted out of the team

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
That kid absolutely does not look 14

We are old. This kid is 17

hq720.jpg

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Innocent until proven guilty only applies to the government. City wasn't required to treat him as innocent. He's suing them over unpaid wages, not over being booted out of the team
Which is pretty much the same. They didn't pay his wages because they considered him guilty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad