GDT: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
They're here! Might as well get a thread going to discuss the playoffs on this brand new board. I'll kick things off by saying who I'm rooting for (or against) in each series, and some commentary on each!

Dallas vs. Vegas - Vegas. As an Arizona refugee, I always liked the Knights. I view(ed) them as our friendly desert brothers, rather than a rival to hate. It'll also be interesting to see Peter DeBoer coach against his old team.

Winnipeg vs. Colorado - Colorado. I don't really like either team, but I have a habit of rooting against Canadian teams on principle, so I'm rooting more against Winnipeg than for Colorado.

Vancouver vs. Nashville - Nashville. Same deal, since Vancouver is a Canadian team. Also, my sister just moved near Nashville and is adopting the Predators as her new team.

Edmonton vs. LA Kings - Edmonton. While Edmonton is a Canadian team, I view(ed) LA as our biggest rival, and can't bring myself to want them to win.

Florida vs. Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay. The Bolts are my second-favorite team and my husband's team, so I have to go for them.

Boston vs. Toronto - Boston. This is is a tough one as I hate both teams, but I suppose I'd like to see Boston come out on top.

NY Rangers vs. Washington - Washington. It would just be funny, to me, to see a team that backed into the playoffs with a negative goal differential upset the President's Trophy winner.

Carolina vs. NY Islanders - Carolina. The Canes are arguably my third-favorite team and I have lots of friends over on their board. This will mark the third straight year I hop on their bandwagon for the playoffs.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
With no dog in the fight (pun intended), I usually root for a team that's never won the Cup, like the Leafs. :cool:

Or maybe the Panthers. They're fun to watch.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They're here! Might as well get a thread going to discuss the playoffs on this brand new board. I'll kick things off by saying who I'm rooting for (or against) in each series, and some commentary on each!

Dallas vs. Vegas - Vegas. As an Arizona refugee, I always liked the Knights. I view(ed) them as our friendly desert brothers, rather than a rival to hate. It'll also be interesting to see Peter DeBoer coach against his old team.

Winnipeg vs. Colorado - Colorado. I don't really like either team, but I have a habit of rooting against Canadian teams on principle, so I'm rooting more against Winnipeg than for Colorado.

Vancouver vs. Nashville - Nashville. Same deal, since Vancouver is a Canadian team. Also, my sister just moved near Nashville and is adopting the Predators as her new team.

With no dog in the fight (pun intended), I usually root for a team that's never won the Cup, like the Leafs. :cool:

Or maybe the Panthers. They're fun to watch.

Florida vs. Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay. The Bolts are my second-favorite team and my husband's team, so I have to go for them.

Boston vs. Toronto - Boston. This is is a tough one as I hate both teams, but I suppose I'd like to see Boston come out on top.

NY Rangers vs. Washington - Washington. It would just be funny, to me, to see a team that backed into the playoffs with a negative goal differential upset the President's Trophy winner.

Carolina vs. NY Islanders - Carolina. The Canes are arguably my third-favorite team and I have lots of friends over on their board. This will mark the third straight year I hop on their bandwagon for the playoffs.

Ahem, questionable content!

Vegas - could be a handful when healthy
Winnipeg - Hellebuyck takes the series
Vancouver - Nashville has struggled against Vancouver
LA - Slay the dragon
Florida - Tampa is playing on borrowed time
Boston - Have a grip on Toronto mentally
New York - Just a good team
Carolina - Superior team

Eventual cup winners? Utah.

Getting a solid young up and coming team with an established fan base and what seems to be good ownership. You also get to start things off with a fantastic Moderator in @Summer Rose

Last edited:

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
First round, think I went with:

Dallas (I will never cheer for Vegas)
Winnipeg (Colorado has been slipping)
Nashville (big heavy team)
Edmonton (McDavid is due for a run)
Florida (my Cup favourite)
Toronto (hoping to jinx them)
NYR (powerhouse team)
NYI (regret this one already)

Reactions: Summer Rose

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
OG Jets doing the whiteout. Will the white out travel to Utah? Will the reincarnated Coyotes adopt the white out? That would be 3 franchises laying claim.

Reactions: Summer Rose

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
There are no NHL teams I root for outside of the ahem...the Utah Hockey Club. I tried to be a Kraken fan when they came into the league but they didn't want me so mine will be more prediction based and I will try not to cheat being on day 3 of the playoffs.

Dallas v Vegas - Dallas is the only team with more 20 goal scorers than the UHC. They have a perfect mix of veterans and youth, excellent d and solid goaltending. Vegas should never be counted out of anything but going with Dallas.

Winnipeg v Colorado - Colorado is fun but they did nothing to solidify their weak goaltending and "all-star" Georgiev with his .696 in game 1 shows right away why Winnipeg will move on.

Vancouver v Nashville - Vancouver was much celebrated but Nashville was so good in the 2nd half. Dakota took game 1 but I will have to stick with my initial pick of Nashville for the upset.

Edmonton v Los Angeles - The UHC exposed how vulnerable Edmonton is to a team playing solid defense and has goaltending as this non playoff team beat Edmonton twice in the last week of the season. Edmonton lost 4 of their last 5 and only beat the Sharks. They are backing into the playoffs and just flipping the switch rarely works out. Meanwhile, Kings were 6-3 in April. Kings to advance.

Florida v TB - TB is yesterday, FL is today. Florida for the series win.

Boston v Leafs - Roster construction, playing as a team and having goaltending will always trump celebrity players. Leafs will continue to be their regular seasons selfs and Bruins will continue to dominate the Leafs.

Rangers v Washington - Good on the Caps for making the high end of the mushy middle so they can show up for 4 playoff games before starting their vacation. Rangers all the way on this one.

Carolina v Islanders - Freddie has been amazing since he has returned. Carolina to advance.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Islanders blow worst lead in hockey. Martinook the hero with the game winner. He's a guy that I wish had remained a Coyote for his character and work ethic.
Worst part is we got nothing for him. Day old chips and a warm beer.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad