2024 Season Ticket Renewals / Playoffs

lbc9876

Apr 5, 2019
This is exactly it. Lots of people that toss their seats up at a high price to see if anyone bites, but are happy to go if not. I understand the perspective that the Oilers are "gouging" fans, but it just isn't the truth. As you said, there is zero reason whatsoever to pass profit opportunity to the secondary market when they could just make it themselves.

The only real loser here in the end is the season ticket holder that has to pay a higher sticker price because the secondary market got out of control, but the per game discounts are still generally pretty strong vs. pricing for the general public. Where I sit per game prices are $474 for the Final, and I can guarantee you that if we got that far I could still flip those for at least double what I paid, but probably more. If a situation arose where we had a Game 4, 5, 6 or 7 at home with a chance to win the Cup? $5k per seat? Maybe more?

I think it would be HIGHLY team dependent. But that said, the Oilers have already stated cracking down on "for profit" seats from SSH. Not sure what they would do if you were making crazy coin, but I know that they have already taken away Oilers bucks as a starting point.

mitrovicaman

Oct 26, 2022
I think it would be HIGHLY team dependent. But that said, the Oilers have already stated cracking down on "for profit" seats from SSH. Not sure what they would do if you were making crazy coin, but I know that they have already taken away Oilers bucks as a starting point.
Ha ha ha “they have already taken away Oiler bucks”. They can stick my $200 in Oiler bucks where the sun doesn’t shine. They are probably going to lose 800-1000 SSH’s because of their increase in pricing. Look at the amount of tickets still available for the playoffs. Whomever made the decision to increase the costs across the board for playoff and regular season seats should be fired. They would have been much better off with those extra 800-1000 seats being fully occupied by concession using patrons. On many games as a SSH I lost money on games. But the seats were always full. Good luck with that in the future!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ha ha ha “they have already taken away Oiler bucks”. They can stick my $200 in Oiler bucks where the sun doesn’t shine. They are probably going to lose 800-1000 SSH’s because of their increase in pricing. Look at the amount of tickets still available for the playoffs. Whomever made the decision to increase the costs across the board for playoff and regular season seats should be fired. They would have been much better off with those extra 800-1000 seats being fully occupied by concession using patrons. On many games as a SSH I lost money on games. But the seats were always full. Good luck with that in the future!

Not necessarily, they've effectively handicapped themselves from maximizing concession sales by making the concourses too small, the bathrooms too small, and the concession locations/set ups totally nonsensical. For playoff games it it borderline impossible to get through the bathroom line in time for puck drop unless you really hustle and take no prisoners slogging through the concourse to run to the line. Any time for concessions is a bonus. This of course snowballs, with people coming back late to their seats with nachos and other unnecessary items which disrupts the people that made it back in time.

Of all things with this organization, the #1 problem for me is their refusal to admit that they f***ed up the design of the bathrooms in pretty much the entire arena. This issue has a cascading effect on the entire fan experience and they don't seem to want to bother to make even the slightest effort to address it.

mitrovicaman

Oct 26, 2022
Not necessarily, they've effectively handicapped themselves from maximizing concession sales by making the concourses too small, the bathrooms too small, and the concession locations/set ups totally nonsensical. For playoff games it it borderline impossible to get through the bathroom line in time for puck drop unless you really hustle and take no prisoners slogging through the concourse to run to the line. Any time for concessions is a bonus. This of course snowballs, with people coming back late to their seats with nachos and other unnecessary items which disrupts the people that made it back in time.

Of all things with this organization, the #1 problem for me is their refusal to admit that they f***ed up the design of the bathrooms in pretty much the entire arena. This issue has a cascading effect on the entire fan experience and they don't seem to want to bother to make even the slightest effort to address it.
That is very dependent on where your seats are located. The upper concourse is a complete nightmare. My seats in Sec 105 have a bathroom and large bar right there. Never have trouble going to bathroom and getting drink.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That is very dependent on where your seats are located. The upper concourse is a complete nightmare. My seats in Sec 105 have a bathroom and large bar right there. Never have trouble going to bathroom and getting drink.

Yep lower bowl definitely miles better than upper, but still not ideal.

Should have clarified that my comments mostly pertain to the upper bowl. However, this didn't stop them from deciding that all of 4 urinals is sufficient for the entire club section as well. The club bathroom line is as ridiculous as the upper bowl, and like the upper bowl there is plenty of ways for them to address the mistake, but they just don't.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
The scalpers are flooding the market with tickets below face value now trying to recoup some money. Kinda sucks for those of us who rushed to buy at cost to actually attend a game.

As I alluded to earlier, the idea is to kill off the scalpers and have the org pocket the difference so I understand from that perspective but people need to actually be willing to purchase at those prices. It'll be interesting to see what happens if the team goes on a deep run.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The scalpers are flooding the market with tickets below face value now trying to recoup some money. Kinda sucks for those of us who rushed to buy at cost to actually attend a game.

As I alluded to earlier, the idea is to kill off the scalpers and have the org pocket the difference so I understand from that perspective but people need to actually be willing to purchase at those prices. It'll be interesting to see what happens if the team goes on a deep run.

At least the season ticket holders don't really get rinsed too badly. There is about a $70 spread between the price I paid for each of my seats and face value from the Oilers, which is pretty strong on a one game basis.

Another weird thing - the available tickets today have changed throughout the day. There are different seats available now than in the morning, and I'm talking about the seats the Oilers sell, not resale. There appears to be a lot more blue now than even a few hours ago. I have some friends that were thinking of going so I looked to see if there was any availability in my row this morning and there wasn't, but now there is.

Can't help but feel like someone, somewhere f***ed something up with this.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
At least the season ticket holders don't really get rinsed too badly. There is about a $70 spread between the price I paid for each of my seats and face value from the Oilers, which is pretty strong on a one game basis.

Another weird thing - the available tickets today have changed throughout the day. There are different seats available now than in the morning, and I'm talking about the seats the Oilers sell, not resale. There appears to be a lot more blue now than even a few hours ago. I have some friends that were thinking of going so I looked to see if there was any availability in my row this morning and there wasn't, but now there is.

Yeah I just got a "last minute ticket" alert like previous years so there will always be extras available game day.

Makes it even more interesting for price points. I think people aren't really comfortable going too much higher over the $250/ticket range in the upper bowl considering the economic landscape.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

I've been looking at ticketmaster over the last few days and the number of blue seats keeps increasing. Right now there are 41 seats available in section 132.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
ya, I think the team ownership pushed a little too hard, and people are finally having to push back. Prices for tickets, concessions, parking have got to the point where combined with all the other increases to the cost of living, and now some people have either chosen or been forced to not renew and/or not purchase playoff tickets. It's sad to see, this team still has one of the most faithful and diehard fan bases around, the players deserve a packed barn, too bad greed has prevented that.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

It's a bad design no matter how many people want you to believe otherwise.

Its like they used 4 different architects for each quadrant of the building.

That's what happens when you use consultants who have never planned such a project.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
ya, I think the team ownership pushed a little too hard, and people are finally having to push back. Prices for tickets, concessions, parking have got to the point where combined with all the other increases to the cost of living, and now some people have either chosen or been forced to not renew and/or not purchase playoff tickets. It's sad to see, this team still has one of the most faithful and diehard fan bases around, the players deserve a packed barn, too bad greed has prevented that.

The problem I am seeing comes down to value, especially in the second deck.

This isn't 1995 anymore where a 2nd deck ticket was priced at a value level low enough that there wouldn't be any reasonable expectation of niceties like good bathrooms, comfortable concourse, easy to access concessions, etc. When you're paying $10-20 for a ticket those things aren't really an expectation. Currently upper deck seats are priced at an objectively premium level for any event, but we still get the afterthought treatment that had normally been commensurate with upper deck amenities in the past.

Last night for example - intermission hits, and the second deck is total chaos. Mens bathroom line already spans around 100 feet not two mins into the intermission (took up about half the length of the ice). Naturally this causes people to try and sneak in near the front, which then bogs down the line more for people that were honest and went tot he back creating more chaos. Then due to the total disorganization of the whole area, half the fans don't make it back to their seats in time, which sucks for them because they miss part of the game, but also sucks for the people that did make it back that have to have their view constantly disrupted to let people back to their seats. I'm sorry, but if the price is ~$230-350 to get an upper bowl seat at face value then they need to address this. It's an insult for the price.

They can't change the poor design of the upper deck overnight, but there are several easy things they can do to organize things a little better and speed up the flow of the lines and improve crowd control. They just choose to not do that though.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
The problem I am seeing comes down to value, especially in the second deck.

This isn't 1995 anymore where a 2nd deck ticket was priced at a value level low enough that there wouldn't be any reasonable expectation of niceties like good bathrooms, comfortable concourse, easy to access concessions, etc. When you're paying $10-20 for a ticket those things aren't really an expectation. Currently upper deck seats are priced at an objectively premium level for any event, but we still get the afterthought treatment that had normally been commensurate with upper deck amenities in the past.

Last night for example - intermission hits, and the second deck is total chaos. Mens bathroom line already spans around 100 feet not two mins into the intermission (took up about half the length of the ice). Naturally this causes people to try and sneak in near the front, which then bogs down the line more for people that were honest and went tot he back creating more chaos. Then due to the total disorganization of the whole area, half the fans don't make it back to their seats in time, which sucks for them because they miss part of the game, but also sucks for the people that did make it back that have to have their view constantly disrupted to let people back to their seats. I'm sorry, but if the price is ~$230-350 to get an upper bowl seat at face value then they need to address this. It's an insult for the price.

They can't change the poor design of the upper deck overnight, but there are several easy things they can do to organize things a little better and speed up the flow of the lines and improve crowd control. They just choose to not do that though.
you're right, at those prices, people deserve a better experience with less issues. Not a good look on the OEG/Rogers Place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad