Music: 2024 Rock n Roll HoF

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One of them probably didn't like the look that Steve Harris gave them once upon a time. I am half-joking because they are the type of people to be petty and hold grudges for the dumbest reasons.

The way i see it, no one will remember the crusty old men that vote for this but people will remember great artists whether they are in a HoF or not.
The politics behind getting in the HoF is a real thing. Don't remember the details, but Foreigner was very deliberately excluded from induction, despite being one of the biggest bands during the late 1970s / early 1980s. They had pissed off someone associated with the HoF and only once that person was gone was Foreigner allowed entry.*

As someone in this thread correctly said: It's the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Popularity.

*Happy to be corrected if I got this wrong.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
The rock and roll hall of fame is really just "Who the idiots at Rolling Stone Magazine think are cool/want to be associated with". Not a barometer of ability or actual fame. I'm sure Ozzy is in already with Sabbath but it taking till 2024 for him to get in solo is slightly ludicrous. As mentioned directly above me, Iron Maiden not being in tells you anything you need to know about the quality of the hall. Maiden is in the debate for greatest metal band of all time and is STILL selling out shows around the world. Dave Matthews had some decent songs and a strong following. I'm not sure I'd call them hall of fame worthy but the weak link here is obviously Mary J Blige.

Someone like f'n OZZY "finally get in" as if to give any merit to his name; that's nice and all but then you realize his display, nameplate, or whatever they do will be 5 feet from some joke of an act just says it all. Metal never gets any respect anyway, I'm glad to have never given it more thought than a post like this. How anyone can watch award shows, give HOF merit, etc. has always been beyond me.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The Drummer is very good. The music is so so. I like a very wide veriety of music. The three bands I mentioned are often linked to the hipster movement for a reason

You live on a different planet than I do if you think people listen to Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay to be "cool". Radiohead, yeah. For sure, but most people find the other two rather lame and are decidedly "uncool". Anything middle aged wives like is definitely not cool. I'd know... I'm a hipster f***, or so I've been called many times.

#NEVERFORGET #ALWAYS REMEMBER

800 lbs of "poo" on "some people". lmfao. That sign is funny.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The most wonderful thing about this is that nobody is questioning A Tribe Called Quest. Easily the least popular of the list of inductees this year, but arguably the most groundbreaking, unless you consider Ozzy's contribution to Sabbath... Which I wouldn't, since they are in separately.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
People listen to DMB, Coldplay and Radiohead because they like the music. It has nothing to do with « trying to be cool ». People are really missing out if they’re just dismissing the entirety of these bands’ discographies. They are all great musicians and unique in their own ways.

Reactions: NyQuil

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
The most wonderful thing about this is that nobody is questioning A Tribe Called Quest. Easily the least popular of the list of inductees this year, but arguably the most groundbreaking, unless you consider Ozzy's contribution to Sabbath... Which I wouldn't, since they are in separately.
ahh ozzy has a body of work post sabbath that is worthy of hall of fame status. there are quite a few already in that hall that have gotten in with less accolades and praise.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
ahh ozzy has a body of work post sabbath that is worthy of hall of fame status. there are quite a few already in that hall that have gotten in with less accolades and praise.

Undoubtedly, but he didn't break any new ground like his time in Black Sabbath. That's the only difference. Ozzy solo is easily a HOFer.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
O2, is it?

It's amazing that one needs to argue about such an obvious issue; DAVE MATTHEWS BAND ARE NOT BIG OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA. GET OVER IT.
And Kate Bush isn't big anywhere but she got in because a lame tv show used one of her lame songs. I find it pretty odd that you're so upset about DMB getting in. I don't like them but they were huge and it's already been pointed out that they're selling out concerts in Europe.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lots of folks being salty in here about the Tragically Hip being ignored again without actually saying so.

What?

I'm a massive Hip fan (I saw them live 11 times) and I don't think they should be in the HoF.

They're pretty niche in terms of their geographic reach, and fairly unremarkable in terms of their musicianship, and that's fine.

It's really just a Canadian thing (and a few border towns in the States).

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For me DMB, Radiohead and Coldplay are the bands that the "cool" people go to, to prove they are "Cool". Can not stand any of the 3 bands for different reasons

That's funny, because I would wager that 99% of Radiohead fans hate Coldplay and DMB.

I actually like (liked?) Coldplay and Radiohead.

Coldplay got a lot worse once they became so huge that they only wrote happy songs. Viva la Vida won a bunch of awards but it was the beginning of the end IMO.

For the record, Coldplay was always pretty uncool from where I was situated. Knocked for being ripoff artists of U2 and/or Radiohead, many of their hits were ballads, Chris Martin was always going on about some cause or another.

itlxvqvzjvn71.gif

I enjoy some of the music of Radiohead but as darlings of Pitchfork and their ilk, I think their impact on music has been heavily over-inflated.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The politics behind getting in the HoF is a real thing. Don't remember the details, but Foreigner was very deliberately excluded from induction, despite being one of the biggest bands during the late 1970s / early 1980s. They had pissed off someone associated with the HoF and only once that person was gone was Foreigner allowed entry.*

As someone in this thread correctly said: It's the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Popularity.

*Happy to be corrected if I got this wrong.

I alluded to it in this previous post.

Reactions: Lshap

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
What?

I'm a massive Hip fan (I saw them live 11 times) and I don't think they should be in the HoF.

They're pretty niche in terms of their geographic reach, and fairly unremarkable in terms of their musicianship, and that's fine.

It's really just a Canadian thing (and a few border towns in the States).

It was a joke, bruv.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ozzy Osbourne's contributions to Black Sabbath were pretty limited, to be honest. By and large, Iommi wrote the songs, Butler wrote the lyrics. Osbourne mostly just devised vocal melodies, which were often just following Iommi's riffs.

The same is generally true with Osbourne's solo band - most of those songs were written by Bob Daisley, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, or Zakk Wylde. Almost everything he's done since 1991 has been utter garbage, too.

Ozzy Osbourne's influence on the development of heavy metal is mostly having really good management. His solo work in the 80's is perhaps unfairly maligned sometimes (it's certainly not bad and often good), but it wasn't exactly groundbreaking. Iron Maiden was groundbreaking. Slayer was groundbreaking. Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Death - those and dozens of others were the bands breaking new ground in the early-mid 80's. They mostly didn't achieve the popularity that Ozzy Osbourne did, of course, but I'd rather listen to Angel Witch or Witchfinder General.

Dec 29, 2004
Ozzy Osbourne's contributions to Black Sabbath were pretty limited, to be honest. By and large, Iommi wrote the songs, Butler wrote the lyrics. Osbourne mostly just devised vocal melodies, which were often just following Iommi's riffs.

The same is generally true with Osbourne's solo band - most of those songs were written by Bob Daisley, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, or Zakk Wylde. Almost everything he's done since 1991 has been utter garbage, too.

Ozzy Osbourne's influence on the development of heavy metal is mostly having really good management. His solo work in the 80's is perhaps unfairly maligned sometimes (it's certainly not bad and often good), but it wasn't exactly groundbreaking. Iron Maiden was groundbreaking. Slayer was groundbreaking. Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Death - those and dozens of others were the bands breaking new ground in the early-mid 80's. They mostly didn't achieve the popularity that Ozzy Osbourne did, of course, but I'd rather listen to Angel Witch or Witchfinder General.
Yeah, Bob Daisley. The whole Ozzy thing is built on lies. Those guys (Kerslake, Daisley, and Rhoades) thought they were in a band called Blizzard of Oz, and didn't know they weren't until the record came out. Sharon stole everything from Bob Daisley. I imagine had they not changed the band name Bob Daisely would be going into the RnR HoF... but he isn't. F*ck Ozzy and Sharon.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It's great to see Cher finally make it in the Hall. Why they made her wait this long is beyond me. She is the biggest name and most influential singer on this list so hopefully she is the last one inducted on the night of the ceremony.

Peter Frampton being nominated is also long overdue.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
And Kate Bush isn't big anywhere but she got in because a lame tv show used one of her lame songs. I find it pretty odd that you're so upset about DMB getting in. I don't like them but they were huge and it's already been pointed out that they're selling out concerts in Europe.
To suggest that Kate Bush isn't big e.g. in the U.K. tells all I need to know about your lame knowledge and lame NA attitude on the subject. She has had #1 albums in the U.K./Europe, DMB's top chart position in Britain is something like #59.

I'll just ask again; what are the sizes of the arenas the lame Dave Matthews Band is "selling out" in Europe? And I guess even lame TV shows don't care about using lame DMB's incredibly lame music anywhere.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
well zakk wylde was kicked out of ozzy's band because the music he was writing for him sounded too much like black label society. what a shame-if ozzy and his team had decided to go towards that direction he may have ended up with his last real good album since no more tears.

dmb aren't exactly selling out arenas like 02 or anything like that over in europe. but they're not struggling by any means either. you can make decent bank by playing at arenas that seat 6000-10000 a night. even though i can't stand them i'll give them props: most bands would cream themselves if they were to have 7 #1 albums in the US, that's approaching led zep/rolling stones types of album success.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
To suggest that Kate Bush isn't big e.g. in the U.K. tells all I need to know about your lame knowledge and lame NA attitude on the subject. She has had #1 albums in the U.K./Europe, DMB's top chart position in Britain is something like #59.

I'll just ask again; what are the sizes of the arenas the lame Dave Matthews Band is "selling out" in Europe? And I guess even lame TV shows don't care about using lame DMB's incredibly lame music anywhere.
#1 pop albums from the 80's doesn't make you Rock'n'roll HOF worthy. Plus her music just flat out sucks, even worse then DMB. I'm sure plenty of shows have used DMBs music. You're sure hung up on the not big outside NA. The Hall is in America so of course they're going to put in a band that was huge in America.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

Did Dave Matthews steal your girlfriend or something?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
#1 pop albums from the 80's doesn't make you Rock'n'roll HOF worthy. Plus her music just flat out sucks, even worse then DMB. I'm sure plenty of shows have used DMBs music. You're sure hung up on the not big outside NA. The Hall is in America so of course they're going to put in a band that was huge in America.
Have you missed the fact that they have inducted pop/soul/R&B/hip hop, i.e. non-rock acts, for ages now? Whether that's right or wrong, the fight for 'street credibility' or for 'real' rock and roll has been long lost already.

Luckily, your taste in music doesn't determine who gets into the Hall. (And luckily for Dave Matthews Band, neither does mine, for that matter.) In any case, Kate Bush started well before DMB (her debut album in 1978), has had numerous big albums/singles/well-known songs in the U.K. and rest of Europe, and her chart performances in the US, while not great, are still better than DMB's in Britain. Plus she had been nominated three times before she got in. I think Kate Bush is also more of a 'critics' darlin'' than DMB, which might have helped too; she is usually lumped together with the likes of Peter Gabriel (artsy/progressive pop types, if you will) rather than with pure pop acts à la Kylie Minogue.

Yes, I've begun to see that it's very much also (North) American Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Kind of like the hockey one.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've probably said this every year I've been on HF but the only reason I, a European, have heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is because of this board. I have never heard a person talk about it in real life. I've never seen any mention of it in the media. About the only thing I can think of is that Robert Smith interview where he had about the same reaction I would have.

It's also fairly obvious the "Rock and Roll" bit is a product of its time, and it should be replaced with "Music". I'm amazed so many people care about this the way they do, but I'm even more amazed at how much people want to argue about semantics.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I've probably said this every year I've been on HF but the only reason I, a European, have heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is because of this board. I have never heard a person talk about it in real life. I've never seen any mention of it in the media. About the only thing I can think of is that Robert Smith interview where he had about the same reaction I would have.

It's also fairly obvious the "Rock and Roll" bit is a product of its time, and it should be replaced with "Music". I'm amazed so many people care about this the way they do, but I'm even more amazed at how much people want to argue about semantics.

To be fair, a bunch of us posters on here just had their NHL teams seasons end and have less to bullshit about on HF. Hell, that’s the only reason I’m involved in a conversation about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame… to pass the time at work.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The only time people actually talk about it is during the nomination period or if they happen to be travelling to Cleveland for some reason.

It's basically just a vehicle for people to argue about their favourite bands, and it typically doesn't take a lot to get people going in this area.

Reactions: Cas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad