Music: 2024 Rock n Roll HoF

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, according to Billboard they were #1 in overall ticket sales among live acts in N. America during the 2000s and #7 in gross earnings.

According to Pollstar they were the 13th highest grossing artist globally and sold the 3rd most tickets globally as of 2022. More tickets sold than bands like The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Metallica, Coldplay, and even Billy Joel.

I'd say that qualifies as pretty famous and worthy of a spot.

"Even Billy Joel" got a laugh out of me. Where is Billy Joel so popular that we expect him to be a big ticket seller? I can't even recall a single one of his songs except that one where he rattles off a bunch of news headlines. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
"Even Billy Joel" got a laugh out of me. Where is Billy Joel so popular that we expect him to be a big ticket seller? I can't even recall a single one of his songs except that one where he rattles off a bunch of news headlines. ;)
I think he had that one tune about the guy who was playing an instrument. Maybe a Man who played a Piano or something, idk, my brain's a bit foggy these days.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Well, according to Billboard they were #1 in overall ticket sales among live acts in N. America during the 2000s and #7 in gross earnings. According to Pollstar they were the 13th highest grossing artist globally and sold the 3rd most tickets globally as of 2022. More tickets sold than bands like The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Metallica, Coldplay, and even Billy Joel. I'd say that qualifies as pretty famous and worthy of a spot.
I'm not saying it should be this way, but this is a pop music popularity contest, and they definitely qualify.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think he had that one tune about the guy who was playing an instrument. Maybe a Man who played a Piano or something, idk, my brain's a bit foggy these days.

Oh, I remember that song about the guy who plays an instrument, yet heavily features another Instrument to such a degree that it overtakes the instrument for which the song is about.

• Haha

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I can't say I know of a single Mary J. Blige song and nobody is talking about that unless you are all closet Mary J. Blige fans.
I probably know but can't remember any of them right now off the top of my head.

However, at least she has had some albums (and songs?) that have charted well all over the world, which is much more that can be said about Dave Matthews Band; their chart performances outside of North America are appallingly bad. So let me just cast a little suspicion on the claim that they are a big concert draw globally (unless 'globally' in this case means the US and maybe Canada).

Also, I think there are already quite a few similar R&B acts to Mary J. Blige in the Hall, so... What the heck, I don't mind.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I probably know but can't remember any of them right now off the top of my head.

However, at least she has had some albums (and songs?) that have charted all over the world, which is much more that can be said about Dave Matthews Band; their chart performances outside of North America are appallingly bad. So let me just cast a little suspicion on the claim that they are a big concert draw globally (unless 'globally' in this case means the US and maybe Canada).

Also, I think there are already quite a few similar R&B acts to Mary J. Blige in the Hall, so... What the heck, I don't mind.

You aren’t wrong, but I’m just proving a point about how dumb the argument against either is if it’s “I don’t know a single one of their songs”. Doesn’t make them irrelevant to the Hall of Fame.

Also the Hall of Fame is in the very American city of Cleveland.

Also, Halls of Fame are stupid.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Also as a non-American I had never heard this song. Based on the sound of it and the look of the guy in the video (I assume this is Dave) I hope never to hear from them again. Ghastly.
If you have never had to suffer through a Dave Matthews experience before that you are extremely lucky.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

However, at least she has had some albums (and songs?) that have charted well all over the world, which is much more that can be said about Dave Matthews Band; their chart performances outside of North America are appallingly bad. So let me just cast a little suspicion on the claim that they are a big concert draw globally (unless 'globally' in this case means the US and maybe Canada).

Interestingly enough DMB is actually currently on a world tour and selling out their shows all around the Europe and other continents.

Florence, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Warsaw, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Cancun, Pretoria, Brussels, Dublin, Lisbon. Currently selling out in London.
I'm not saying it should be this way, but this is a pop music popularity contest, and they definitely qualify.
Well sure it is, fame is synonymous with popularity.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
42231046_10156076715868191_6401755411610861568_n.jpg

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
O2, is it?

It's amazing that one needs to argue about such an obvious issue; DAVE MATTHEWS BAND ARE NOT BIG OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA. GET OVER IT.
Not sure why you ignored the rest of the locations but Jeez… I wasn’t trying to argue I thought we were just having a discussion and was bringing up a relevant point. I don’t even care for the band. Sorry, man. :/

Reactions: #37

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
The rock and roll hall of fame is really just "Who the idiots at Rolling Stone Magazine think are cool/want to be associated with". Not a barometer of ability or actual fame. I'm sure Ozzy is in already with Sabbath but it taking till 2024 for him to get in solo is slightly ludicrous. As mentioned directly above me, Iron Maiden not being in tells you anything you need to know about the quality of the hall. Maiden is in the debate for greatest metal band of all time and is STILL selling out shows around the world. Dave Matthews had some decent songs and a strong following. I'm not sure I'd call them hall of fame worthy but the weak link here is obviously Mary J Blige.

Dec 29, 2004
Every time i try to give a damn about this whole HoF business, i remember that Iron Maiden isn't in there and i go back to not caring.

Its an absolute joke Maiden still isn't in

The rock and roll hall of fame is really just "Who the idiots at Rolling Stone Magazine think are cool/want to be associated with". Not a barometer of ability or actual fame. I'm sure Ozzy is in already with Sabbath but it taking till 2024 for him to get in solo is slightly ludicrous. As mentioned directly above me, Iron Maiden not being in tells you anything you need to know about the quality of the hall. Maiden is in the debate for greatest metal band of all time and is STILL selling out shows around the world. Dave Matthews had some decent songs and a strong following. I'm not sure I'd call them hall of fame worthy but the weak link here is obviously Mary J Blige.

Exactly. It's become a credibility issue for the RnR HoF. No Maiden? No credibility.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
One of them probably didn't like the look that Steve Harris gave them once upon a time. I am half-joking because they are the type of people to be petty and hold grudges for the dumbest reasons.

The way i see it, no one will remember the crusty old men that vote for this but people will remember great artists whether they are in a HoF or not.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I don’t even care for the band.
Well, let me tell you one thing; just like Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman would always have Paris in Casablanca, we'll always have that (connection)! 😉

If I came out too hostile and/or frustrated, I apologize. But it's like I've had this same debate, or let's call it a discussion, on different forums over and over again in recent weeks (DMB do seem to have some really passionate fans/defenders!). Since they can't defend DMB albums'/singles' piss-poor chart performances globally, they point out that they tour abroad too. The counter-argument to that would be that Finnish bands like Tasavallan Presidentti and Wigwam toured outside of Finland in the '70s, but it's not like people generally know who they are (back then or now). "Touring abroad" is hardly any kind of proof of great success for an act. You mentioned that they are "selling out", but of course another important piece of info would also be the size of the venues they are selling out. I'm sure the management have chosen the locations wisely, and I'm also pretty sure that the crowds they are drawing are not even near the same as in America (and Canada?).

I still say; a shitty choice. Especially since e.g. Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Soundgarden, Little Feat and The Meters are not in. But fait accompli, so what's the use I guess.

Last edited:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
People using record sales as a defense or reasoning does not understand how sales have changed over the past 2 decades. Since downloading became the norm it is not hard to manipulate how many downloads an artist has.

The only inductee I have a problem with is the DMB. But we are in the era of letting anyone in and DMB was the leader if the hipster or sock on head movement. For me DMB, Radiohead and Coldplay are the bands that the "cool" people go to, to prove they are "Cool". Can not stand any of the 3 bands for different reasons

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
People using record sales as a defense or reasoning does not understand how sales have changed over the past 2 decades. Since downloading became the norm it is not hard to manipulate how many downloads an artist has.

The only inductee I have a problem with is the DMB. But we are in the era of letting anyone in and DMB was the leader if the hipster or sock on head movement. For me DMB, Radiohead and Coldplay are the bands that the "cool" people go to, to prove they are "Cool". Can not stand any of the 3 bands for different reasons
No one’s going out of their way to seem « cool » lol. It’s just good music man, get over it. Perhaps those bands are not for you but that doesn’t mean they are bad.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
No one’s going out of their way to seem « cool » lol. It’s just good music man, get over it. Perhaps those bands are not for you but that doesn’t mean they are bad.
The Drummer is very good. The music is so so. I like a very wide veriety of music. The three bands I mentioned are often linked to the hipster movement for a reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad