Music: 2024 Rock n Roll HoF

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1713758932562.png

Mary J. Blige, Ozzy, & A Tribe Called Quest got in.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
By putting Dave Matthews in it is a statement from the HAll that it is US rock and roll Hall of fame. I have never heard one of his songs and do not know anyone who likes him

Reactions: End on a Hinote

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
By putting Dave Matthews in it is a statement from the HAll that it is US rock and roll Hall of fame. I have never heard one of his songs and do not know anyone who likes him

There's no chance you've never heard Crash Into Me.

And DMB was fantastic up until the Groogrux King now he sucks.. but there was a great stretch of albums.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
There's no chance you've never heard Crash Into Me.

And DMB was fantastic up until the Groogrux King now he sucks.. but there was a great stretch of albums.
Nope. I checked the song and I have never heard it. It aint rock and roll - I checked some of his songs they all sounds like middle of the road elevator music from hell to me.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nope. I checked the song and I have never heard it. It aint rock and roll - I checked some of his songs they all sounds like middle of the road elevator music from hell to me.

Carter Beauford is one of the best drummers around, you might not like DMBs music but they're a very talented group who made some great records over a pretty substantial length of time.

Definitely deserved entry.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I hear DMB's only fan in Europe is partying hard at the moment. Yeah, a shitty inductee IMO ( could have waited at least a few years (or decades,rather)). I wonder if those people who complained about Kate Bush last year are now going, "what a great and deserving choice!"

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They're more of a live performance Jam-band type of thing, their appeal is more in their live shows. It seems like they've got pretty passionate fans, I know a few people who really love them, but I don't know anyone who "just kind of" likes them.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
okay--just watch 12 videos and my view HAS NOT CHANGED---drummer is good--and that is it. Everything else sucks

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
okay--just watch 12 videos and my view HAS NOT CHANGED---drummer is good--and that is it. Everything else sucks
Well, unfortunately this is the Hall of Fame and not the "Hall of Performers that Rpenny likes" lol. They've been pretty successful for over 30 years now

Reactions: phrenssoa

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Well, unfortunately this is the Hall of Fame and not the "Hall of Performers that Rpenny likes" lol. They've been pretty successful for ovemr 30 years now
well DUMB DUMB

Why have I NOT taken shots at anyone else? Because, while I may not like them but I can defend them. Not DMB.. nope. They suck and it only because the "cool" people like them that they are in. People with taste do not like the band, Only sheep that follow others claim to like them

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
well DUMB DUMB

Why have I NOT taken shots at anyone else? Because, while I may not like them but I can defend them. Not DMB.. nope. They suck and it only because the "cool" people like them that they are in. People with taste do not like the band, Only sheep that follow others claim to like them
Heard their names for years but couldnt name you one song of theirs

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dec 29, 2004
They were HUGE in the 90's. I think the popularity was based mainly on the point that they weren't derivative. However, they spawned a culture of frat bro's doing solo sets on the patios of bars that was very derivative of the DMB sound. You couldn't escape it, besides the obvious PR mishap with the tourist boat, they suffered from over-saturation. No, it's not Rock n' Roll, but it is very much 'Alternative' or at least was at a time when 'Alternative' was getting kind of derivative.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i just came into a possible realization as why i've only met one person in my life that listens to DMB. they were huge during mid to late 90's yeah? during that time period was that what hipsters were listening to? i ask because i don't hang out in nyc hipster communities ever.

they were just like taylor swift. but in the sense of they both sold out multiple nights at giants stadium but yet i can't name any song by either of them.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
well DUMB DUMB

Very oddly angry assessment, not sure I've heard that criticism before lol.

I don't particularly care for their music either, but there is a pretty reasonable defense for DMB being put into the HoF.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I don't particularly care for their music either, but there is a pretty reasonable defense for DMB being put into the HoF.
Yup; they've sold shitloads of records in the US. Furthermore... um, there's... well, you could say that they... wait I got this!........... Nah, I give up.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yup; they've sold shitloads of records in the US. Furthermore... um, there's... well, you could say that they... wait I got this!... Nah, I give up.
Well, according to Billboard they were #1 in overall ticket sales among live acts in N. America during the 2000s and #7 in gross earnings.

According to Pollstar they were the 13th highest grossing artist globally and sold the 3rd most tickets globally as of 2022. More tickets sold than bands like The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Metallica, Coldplay, and even Billy Joel.

I'd say that qualifies as pretty famous and worthy of a spot.

Reactions: phrenssoa

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Lots of folks being salty in here about the Tragically Hip being ignored again without actually saying so. I don't like DMB at all, but there are loads of undeserving bands in the Hall and DMB may be on that list (in my opinion) but it isn't that much of a stretch. I can't say I know of a single Mary J. Blige song and nobody is talking about that unless you are all closet Mary J. Blige fans. Hell, who is Ozzy? (I jest)

Really come to think of it, DMB isn't even the least deserving of this group.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad