2024 QMJHL Draft

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I appreciate that info. Would a player like this be able to attend a camp and sign without being in the import draft? Or would they have to just wait until next year altogether?
If the player holds dual citizenship, it is possible that they can declare for the QMJHL draft (see Theo Rochette, whose dad is from Quebec). I believe the dual citizenship rule for the draft would require that the player hold Canadian or US citizenship along with a connection to the region such as parent from one of the provinces or states in the geographical region or dad who played in the Q).

If not, the player has to wait for the Import Draft.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
A bit surprised by the absences of Owen O'Donnell, Charlie Benigno and Logan Foote on that NS team, but it is what it is.
O'Donnell for sure. Playing with Aiden O'Donnell is a double edged sword perhaps, gets lots of easy production but I think not enough credit for creating on his own. Him not making that team was a big miss imo. There's 3 or 4 forwards that made that team that are clearly not as good as Owen. Benigno is a strong offensive player but offers little other than that. Not much of a worker, doesn't show much concern defensively at all and avoids tough areas.

Foote is excellent, I think you can argue him vs a couple there but those 6 D are all doing very well. Foote has looked excellent so far in U18 too.

I have seen every NS U18 team at least twice. Macs 4x, Subs 4x, Valley 3x, CH 4x, Weeks4x, CBW 2x, SS 2x Syd 2x. Of the 08s these have looked best (NOT in order other than how they come out of my brain).

Forwards:
O'Donnell
O'Donnell
Turner
Chipp (don't let lack of early scoring fool anyone)
Proctor
Forse
Sinclair
Hartlin (only saw one game of him, he's been hurt or suspended)

Defense:
(Macs def actually, somehow, more loaded than forward imo)
Foote
Creelman
Sudds
Trewin
Hanley
Breen

Forwards have been better group than the D. All those forwards are draftable, not sure about all those D but likely. Henry being at RNS hurts that group overall. I don't believe Gibbs played any of the games I watched of CH but I liked his game last year. Breen has been okay, but that team struggling on D as expected, they are very young and don't have a ton of support. Macs unit is also young but the forward group is sooo good and obviously they are very well coached.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Moncton.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
PRELIMINARY TOP-20 2024 QMJHL DRAFT RANKINGS
Posted on November 13, 2023 by Austin Robson

Our first set of rankings for the 2024 QMJHL draft are officially live. This time around we have produced a list of 20 players who we feel have had the strongest performances in the early portions of their draft years. These rankings are based on the Quebec and Maritimes U18 AAA league play and also the first phase of the QMJHL Cup which occurred early October. This being our first list I am fairly confident that the order of players will change dramatically as other plays enter the conversation and begin to develop as the season progresses.

At the end of every month leading up to the draft we will be releasing an expanded list of players and rankings adjustments. Here are my thoughts on the top 20 players available for the QMJHL draft thus far.

The Race to First Overall

The decision for first overall wasn’t an easy one, as four players found themselves in the conversation for our top spot.

Shattuck St Mary’s star forward Tynan Lawrence eventually came out on top and holds our number 1 spot for the time being. Lawrence is a dynamic offensive talent who blends above-average processing and intelligence with high-end feet and stickhandling ability. At the time of writing this, he leads Shattuck’s 16U team in scoring despite being one of its youngest players and is a true game breaker in every sense of the word.

Right behind him we have Lac St Lions forward Dylan Rozzi, who has overcome a slow start to the season and now finds himself in the top 10 of QM18AAA scoring. He is a highly astute player with premiere passing ability. He also has a great feel and anticipation for the game, constantly putting himself in good positions to disrupt play or receive passes.

At number 3 we have Aiden O’Donnell of the Steele Subaru, playing in the Nova Scotia U18 AAA league. I’ve been so impressed with his off-puck play in the offensive zone. The way he read and reacts off teammates and his ability to consistently find soft spots in the defensive zone coverage makes him game very projectable for junior hockey.

The last player we considered for the first overall spot was Séminaire St. François Blizzard forward Romain L’Italien, whose scorching start to the season made him impossible to ignore. Coming in at number 4 on our list, L’Italien is a big and rangy centerman with good hands and vision in the offensive zone. He is a menace in front of the net on the powerplay, using his large frame to win positional battles to loose pucks in the crease and showing good hand-eye ability to tip pucks from in close. I expect all these players to make a serious case for first overall throughout the season.

Best Defensemen in the Class

Our first defenseman comes in at number 5 with PEI’s own Jackson Batchilder, who currently plays for the Charlottetown Knights in the New Brunswick-PEI midget AAA league (NBPEIMU18HL). Batchilder had a monster performance at the QMJHL Cup where he was named to the tournament all-star team. His impressive skating ability was what set him apart for me, and although the points haven’t come for him quite yet at the U18 level I believe his tools give him a high offensive ceiling and loads of potential to unlock throughout the year.

Moncton Flyers defender Jacob Gouchie comes in at number 6 and was neck and neck with Batchilder for our top defenseman. At 6’3 and 200 lbs, he is a physical specimen when playing against players in his own age group, dominating all ends of the ice with his size and refined offensive abilities. I expect him to remain a top prospect throughout the year.

A late addition to our list was Bishop Kearney’s defender Cameron Chartrand, who comes in at number 9. He plays the game with tremendous poise and shows great habits in the defensive zone. If he can demonstrate some growth in his offensive game, I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t become the top defender in year’s class.

Lac St Louis and St. François Saturation

Including the aforementioned Rozzi, the Lac St Louis Lions are the team with the most prospects on our list with four. Speedy centerman Amelio Santini finds himself at number 7 after his hot start to the year. He plays in all situations for the Lions and at this point is one of the very best skaters in this draft class. At number 13 we have Ryan Howard who currently leads the Lions in goals. He is a physical forward with a north-south style and a very projectable game. Defenseman Alexandre Taillefer rounds out our Lions prospects by coming in at number 18. He has quickly established himself as one of the better offensive defensemen in Quebec, securing himself some time on the first powerplay unit ahead of some more senior players.

Along with L’Italien, the Blizzard have three prospects that make up our initial top 20. Our 10th ranked prospect Noah Florent is a diminutive yet highly skilled forward who plays alongside L’Italien on the wing. His lethal shot to go along with his quick feet make him a serious offensive threat night in and night out. At number 15 we have defenseman Thomas Morin who is a mobile and effective defenseman for the Blizzard and who has still managed to put up some points despite playing on an extremely talented and crowded Blizzard blueline.

Rounding out the List

Rounding out or top 10 we have Saint John Vito’s forward Isiah Rogerson at number 8. He was named to the QMJHL Cup All-Star Team and is one of the most dynamic players in this class. Another star performer from the QMJHL Cup is Newfoundland native Caylen Blake, currently playing for Mount St. Charles Academy, who finds himself at number 11.

Benjamin Oliver and Ethan Percy, 12th and 14th respectively, are slowly becoming some of my favorite 200-foot players in this class. Oliver plays for Charles-Lemoyne in Quebec where he has been moved up to the first line due to his play. Percy is a physically mature centerman who finds himself among to the leaders in league scoring in the Newfoundland Midget AAA league despite being a rookie.

St Hyacinthe Gaulois forward Niko El Khouri finds himself on this list at number 16 thanks to his incredible offensive tool kit and compete level. His point totals this season may be more indicative of the Gaulois’ place in the standings rather than his on-ice play.

Halifax MacDonald’s forward Aaron Chipp is starting to heat up at the right time for the Macs after his fantastic QMJHL Cup performance that saw him lead the tournament in scoring while earning an all-star bid. His play as of late has put him at number 17 in our rankings.

The final two players on our list are Charles-Lemoyne forward Samuel Boyer and Quinte Red Devils defenseman Mickael Fournier, who come in at 19th and 20th respectively. Boyer is a slight but skilled forward who is able to make difficult plays with his hands and feet in the offensive zone. Fournier is an offensive defenseman who made the move to Ontario for his draft year and is currently clicking around a point per game.

For more detailed analyses and game reports from our top 20 prospects, head over to the 2024 QMJHL Draft Center.

Reactions: TimeZone

hcky4lf

Dec 13, 2023
Are 2007 born players able to be drafted this year? are there any good 2007 left?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Are 2007 born players able to be drafted this year? are there any good 2007 left?
Yes, they are.

For 2007, you would largely be looking for late bloomers, so it's more likely that there wouldn't be a decent list until closer to the draft.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
The Team Canada men’s hockey team for the Gangwon 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games is:

Athletes:

Goaltenders:
Mateo Beites (Sudbury, Ont./Barrie, OMHA-U16)
Colin Ellsworth (Aurora, Ont./York Simcoe, OMHA-U16)
Carter Esler (Okotoks, Alta./Okotoks, AEHL-U18)

Defence:
Cameron Chartrand (Saint-Lazare, Que./Bishop Kearney Selects, USHS)
Callum Croskery (Oakville, Ont./Oakville, OMHA-U16)
Ryan Lin (Richmond, B.C./Delta Hockey Academy, CSSHL-U18)
Zach Nyman (Toronto, Ont./Vaughan, GTHL-U16)
Daxon Rudolph (Lacombe, Alta./Northern Alberta, CSSHL-U18)
Keaton Verhoeff (Fort Saskatchewan, Alta./RHA Kelowna, CSSHL-U18)

Forwards:
Alessandro Di Iorio (Vaughan, Ont./Vaughan, GTHL-U16)
Beckham Edwards (London, Ont./Detroit Little Caesars, US15U)
Tynan Lawrence (Fredericton, N.B./Shattuck-St. Mary’s, USHS)
Aiden O’Donnell (Cole Harbour, N.S./Dartmouth, NSU18MHL)
Mathis Preston (Penticton, B.C./Okanagan Hockey Academy, CSSHL-U18)
Liam Ruck (Osoyoos, B.C./Okanagan Hockey Academy, CSSHL-U18)
Markus Ruck (Osoyoos, B.C./Okanagan Hockey Academy, CSSHL-U18)
Adam Valentini (Toronto, Ont./Toronto Marlboros, GTHL-U16)
Braidy Wassilyn (Puslinch, Ont./Markham, GTHL-U16)

RantAndRoarNL

Nov 30, 2022
Hearing that overall the 08 group isn't deep and you may see more 07s drafted this year than a normal yr.

RantAndRoarNL

Nov 30, 2022
Yes, they are.

For 2007, you would largely be looking for late bloomers, so it's more likely that there wouldn't be a decent list until closer to the draft.
Assuming it would be rare for a 17 yr old to be drafted their second eligible yr and crack a Q roster.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Hearing that overall the 08 group isn't deep and you may see more 07s drafted this year than a normal yr.

The 08s aren't very deep or even very strong at the top, but there isn't really anything that stands out much more in terms of undrafted 07s, I don't think you'll see more than usual get drafted personally. Teams will prefer to take a flyer on a younger player and hope he develops.

Reactions: RantAndRoarNL

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Possible. But Goguen didn't play any Q events last year and was going 100% Q from what I heard from some Q scouts... So you never know.

I do think he'll be considereing his NCAA options for sure.

I bet he'll wait on the draft lottery result to decide.

As of now, the top 5 without the lottery would be:

1. Val-d'Or
2. Saint John (from Gatineau)
3. Val-d'Or (from Quebec)
4. Cape Breton (from Saint John)
5. Quebec (from Charlottetown via Drummonville)

Quebec Maritimes

Jan 29, 2024
It isn't a deep group of superstar players at the top, but it looks like a very deep group overall.

For in depth 2024 QMJHL prospect profiles and info, you can find it at Quebec-Maritimes Scouting.

As of the end of January, 457 prospects have been identified towards the draft (252 will be selected). We are now into the projected 9th round of prospect evaluations. In depth player bios have been put together for about 160 prospects with more added every day.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
It's a weak draft to me. Especially in terms of the quality of the top 10 talent.

I know several Q teams are trying to move their picks and are in panic because the draft isn't very strong.

To me, forward depth is pretty decent, and I like the goalies as well to be honest overall. For the forwards, it's a situation where a lot of the most talented ones are very small, but the skill and IQ are there.

I really struggle with the quality of defenders. I feel like some of them will get reached on big time in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad