GDT: 2024 Playoff Bandwagon Thread

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
OK, but I've heard 99 talk about it and that's good enough for me.
None of us were in the room when Messier played, and I don't doubt that Messier was probably a very effective captain, but it feels like there's an absence of evidence. It's media hype about playing a good period in 1994.

There are plenty of knocks against Messier. That he won in 90' with a bunch of long-time Oilers. That he won in 94' with a bunch of long-time Oilers. That he missed the playoffs the last seven years of his career, including his second tenure in NY, where NYR had the highest payroll in the league. Whatever happened in Vancouver, etc.

I don't get why he can't just be considered an okay or even good captain. Not the greatest leader of men the world has ever seen. Alexander the Great, Oda Nobunaga, Mark Messier.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Duchene would've solved so many issues if we could've gotten him last summer.

MacKinnon on the floor watching the series winner go by Georgiev. Lol. I love it.

"The new dynasty"
back to being a bunch of sputtering jokes. Couldn't even take advantage of a bogus, bullshit call going their way - again.

I've legit only heard this on our board. Nobody was calling the Av's a dynasty.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Duchene would've solved so many issues if we could've gotten him last summer.

I've legit only heard this on our board. Nobody was calling the Av's a dynasty.
During the 2022 final, all they did was talk about the core of Colorado being ushered in as a new dynasty. They hadn't even won one f***ing cup together and were being called the successors of Tampa. It was f***ing ludicrous.

They = NHLN, US network coverage (can't remember if that was ESPN or NBC at the time). All the talking heads and promos were shaping that narrative.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
During the 2022 final, all they did was talk about the core of Colorado being ushered in as a new dynasty. They hadn't even won one f***ing cup together and were being called the successors of Tampa. It was f***ing ludicrous.

It's just funny how we hate on a player/team not because of something did directly but because of outsiders opinions on them. Yeah people (the "analysts") were dick riding Colorado I just don't notice their fans going around calling themselves a dynasty or anything like Leaf's fans do.

Anyways, I think the final few teams here are insanely deep, assuming Vancouver finishes off Edmonton, you have Dallas, Florida, NY and Vancouver with pretty stacked lineups. Really liking Dallas' defensive core, it's really based on ours from our cup runs. Lindell-Tanev is just McDonagh-Cernak on swapped sides.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It's just funny how we hate on a player/team not because of something did directly but because of outsiders opinions on them. Yeah people (the "analysts") were dick riding Colorado I just don't notice their fans going around calling themselves a dynasty or anything.

Anyways, I think the final few teams here are insanely deep throughout the lineups, assuming Vancouver finishes off Edmonton, you have Dallas, Florida, NY and Vancouver with pretty stacked lineups.
It is. It's kind of like the Barzal perception. I don't think anybody here hates Barzal, but nobody likes to listen to talking heads pump the tires of outlandish claims. I'll never forget Anson Carter and Brian Boucher saying Barzal was the best player on the ice when Point and Kucherov were going off.

I didn't start to dislike or have unfavorable look at Colorado until the 2022 postseason. They have a fun team, but the drooling by the talking heads is unreal. With total awareness here, I get a lot of non-TB fans feel the same about us, but at least we sustained success for a longer period of time.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It is. It's kind of like the Barzal perception. I don't think anybody here hates Barzal, but nobody likes to listen to talking heads pump the tires of outlandish claims. I'll never forget Anson Carter and Brian Boucher saying Barzal was the best player on the ice when Point and Kucherov were going off.

I didn't start to dislike or have unfavorable look at Colorado until the 2022 postseason. They have a fun team, but the drooling by the talking heads is unreal. With total awareness here, I get a lot of non-TB fans feel the same about us, but at least we sustained success for a longer period of time.

Yeah same with Mackinnon, didn't actually do anything to our team but gets hated on because he's talked about non stop. I actually like Barzal as a player, he'd be the perfect 2nd line C but he's hated on more than Mayfield who injured Kucherov :laugh:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That might be the worst goalie interference call I've seen in a while, and in such a crucial moment too. If Dallas lost that game/series I wouldn't have blamed their fans if they burned the NHL head office to the ground.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bunch of f***ing paper tigers. It's utterly hilarious that the only team pulling its weight in the playoffs right now is the Panthers. We went to 3 straight Finals and the 3rd without Point. Oh yeah lest we forget the other SCF and 2 other Conference Finals too

No one holds our jock regardless of these last 2 exits

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Duchene not in the blue, screening Georgiev = GI
Coyle shoved into Swayman by the opposing team = No GI
Fun fact: in both cases the video refs made the correct decision which can be verified by anyone watching the replays frame by frame.

Just the general rule of thumb:
while the refs on ice often make mistakes, the video refs are pretty much never wrong.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas is very impressive. They’ve had a very difficult path to the conference finals. They’re so well-rounded and so deep, have had some crazy good draft success the last few years.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Duchene not in the blue, screening Georgiev = GI
Coyle shoved into Swayman by the opposing team = No GI
I was 100 percent with the Florida-TB series. Coop must have unleashed some type of goalie interference demon on the rest of the playoffs.

The question is how much goalies can cheat out of the crease, and how does this affect the 'shove an opponent into the goalie' meta?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad