2024 Outdoor Game at Metlife Stadium involving NJDevils/Philly Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Guy

Feb 22, 2015
Northvale,New Jersey
It was announced that there will be a Outdoor game in February of next year at Metlife Stadium involving the NJ Devils and Philly Flyers and there would be another game at Metlife Stadium involving the NY Islanders and NY Rangers. To be honest I think that the idea of these outdoor games whether it's the Winter Classic or the Stadium Series have lost it's appeal. In 2014 when the NJ Devils had their 1st outdoor game that should have been in February at Metlife Stadium not in January at Yankee Stadium since Yankee Stadium is located in enemy territory since New York is the home city & state of the NY Rangers. I did not go to that game because of that reason. I will go to this Metlife Stadium game but I think that it is 10 years too late. Anyone else on this NJ Devils thread planning on going to this game?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I am considering going if ticket prices are reasonable, which I'm guessing they probably won't be though. Seems like it's more about the experience as I would think the view of the actual game is most likely awful from many of the seats.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
my question is are they going to fill up 82,000 seats? thats a tough sell esp against the flyers in a rebuild esp when they have already had a couple of outdoor games.

the stadium series just made the winter classic obsolete no reason to have both honestly and they should really do away with holding them in these big venues. go back to what they did at lake tahoe hold it without the fans put a rink in real outdoor spots. i saw someone mention central park that would be pretty cool but would have to let fans in that one.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
my question is are they going to fill up 82,000 seats? thats a tough sell esp against the flyers in a rebuild esp when they have already had a couple of outdoor games.

the stadium series just made the winter classic obsolete no reason to have both honestly and they should really do away with holding them in these big venues. go back to what they did at lake tahoe hold it without the fans put a rink in real outdoor spots. i saw someone mention central park that would be pretty cool but would have to let fans in that one.
It's a good question. Especially if they do try charging $200+ a ticket.

I also don't like the big venues, doesn't make for good TV, and I imagine it's even worse at the games.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I went to the Leafs vs. Red Wings outdoor game way back when. Cool experience but possibly the coldest day ever though and it was miserable. Especially not being a fan of either team I didn't even care about the game.

Anyway, I'm sure it's awesome for the players lol

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back in 2014 I went to the Ducks/Kings game at Dodger Stadium, jumped on a red eye flight, and then did Devils/Rangers at Yankee Stadium the next day. I was not prepared for the weather though, it was a bit rough. Fun for the experience, but not sure I'd go out of my way again although I will undoubtedly window shop flights/tickets.

I'd imagine you could score some decent deals if you waited until the last minute. I was mad at myself for buying Ducks/Kings and then other friends got free tickets through their work. They did Rangers/Islanders a few days after and I seem to recall the prices plummeting to the point where I debated going since I was still in town.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was out of town for the Devils/Rangers one.

Since we got pummeled I didn’t mind missing that, but I would like to see the Devils in an outdoor game and I’m a STH. So I’m going to this unless something stops me.

I also don’t whine about everything so I don’t care that the NHL keeps doing these. People like them. I don’t see actually see the problem with them doing them every year. Sorry the magic is gone for some people or whatever.

We didn’t get any more outdoor games because we sucked and aren’t a super popular major market team. Some teams don’t get even 2 of these. So again, I’m not going to whine about that either.

The Meadowlands will be f***ing freezing though and the icy winds will make reconsider my life decisions.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Call me optimistic. But I feel like tickets won’t be bad given the 80,000 capacity and the opponent.

As a season ticket holder, I’m curious what the Devils will charge us as well.

Since we got pummeled I didn’t mind missing that, but I would like to see the Devils in an outdoor game and I’m a STH. So I’m going to this unless something stops me.

I also don’t whine about everything so I don’t care that the NHL keeps doing these. People like them. I don’t see actually see the problem with them doing them every year. Sorry the magic is gone for some people or whatever.

We didn’t get any more outdoor games because we sucked and aren’t a super popular major market team. Some teams don’t get even 2 of these. So again, I’m not going to whine about that either.

The Meadowlands will be f***ing freezing though and the icy winds will make reconsider my life decisions.
Fun fact. I stepped in a salty ice puddle near yankee stadium, drank a lot of rum beforehand so I didn’t even know I walked into a puddle. When I got home I realized I had the onset of frost bite on my foot LOL. What a cold long day it was. So what I am saying, don’t let that SOMETHING be frost bite. :laugh:

IMG_8402.jpeg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Super Bowl is February 11, so not sure if the NHL would put this on the weekend before or after. In 2014 they did it Pro Bowl weekend. If I was doing a hockey field trip, I could possibly add in the Beanpot (probably February 5th).

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Call me optimistic. But I feel like tickets won’t be bad given the 80,000 capacity and the opponent.

As a season ticket holder, I’m curious what the Devils will charge us as well.

Fun fact. I stepped in a salty ice puddle near yankee stadium, drank a lot of rum beforehand so I didn’t even know I walked into a puddle. When I got home I realized I had the onset of frost bite on my foot LOL. What a cold long day it was. So what I am saying, don’t let that SOMETHING be frost bite. :laugh:

View attachment 712599

1) this is a truly horrific story and I feel bad for you.

2) I immediately made a mental note to drink a lot of rum for the Met Life game while wearing water proof boots.

NjDevsRR in my future:
3C73698B-355F-4F2E-858B-2BAC1A2890FC.jpeg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hoping they're actually available to ppl who want them and not just a massive amount of brokers looking to rip ppl off. I'm all for capitalism but it stinks with this stuff especially when those thieving scumbags Ticketmaster are involved.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD

I attend a lot of football games (both NFL and college). For late season games when I buy in advance the FIRST thing I consider when buying tickets is getting seats on the north or west side of the stadium so any cold northwest winds are blocked by the stadium structure itself. (Obviously I also try to avoid sitting near section entrances or other locations where the wind can get through.)

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Super Bowl is February 11, so not sure if the NHL would put this on the weekend before or after. In 2014 they did it Pro Bowl weekend. If I was doing a hockey field trip, I could possibly add in the Beanpot (probably February 5th).
I wouldn't be shocked if the NHL has the games ON Super Bowl weekend. (The latter, Sunday game, apparently the Islanders/Rangers game, would be an early afternoon game.)

This season the NHL All-Star Game was held the weekend before the Super Bowl. Obviously the Stadium Series games won't be on All-Star Game weekend; it's just a question of when the All-Star Game is scheduled/held.

Reactions: Brodeur

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
my question is are they going to fill up 82,000 seats?
Not one single chance. I'm guessing they'll pull a Seaton Hall at the rock kind of thing where they just put curtains over the upper decks. Unless they plan on selling $40 tickets.

Rags/Devils? Maybe 70k. Exclusively because of these playoffs.

I went to the one at Yankee Stadium and it was cool and all but yeah, the shine has worn off.

That and there will be as many cops as there are women at that game if philthy is anywhere near .500, so, no.

I saw enough fights and dirtbag behavior at the 4 games I went to during this postseason to last me a lifetime.

Reactions: mdj12784

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You're a smart guy so I won't ask if you understand what's happening with the climate, but it was well into the 40's, 50's and occasionally 60's for much of this past February.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the weather if I were a person who was so inclined to go.

That Yankee Stadium game though? Quite possibly the coldest shit I've ever done sans being at 4k ft in Vermont in February. This is coming from a guy who's been to >100 football games there.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I wouldn't be shocked if the NHL has the games ON Super Bowl weekend. (The latter, Sunday game, apparently the Islanders/Rangers game, would be an early afternoon game.)

This season the NHL All-Star Game was held the weekend before the Super Bowl. Obviously the Stadium Series games won't be on All-Star Game weekend; it's just a question of when the All-Star Game is scheduled/held.

It will be Presidents Day Weekend. NBA has their ASG that week (which TNT airs) and thus ABC has the open times lots to counter that and the Daytona 500. The Stadium Series games last year was Pres day weekend. Even going back to the NBC days they did an event that weekend.

One game will be Saturday in prime time and the other will be late Sunday afternoon.

The ASG will be the weekend before the Super Bowl as it is every year. These things happen on the same weeks every year.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not one single chance. I'm guessing they'll pull a Seaton Hall at the rock kind of thing where they just put curtains over the upper decks. Unless they plan on selling $40 tickets.

Rags/Devils? Maybe 70k. Exclusively because of these playoffs.

I went to the one at Yankee Stadium and it was cool and all but yeah, the shine has worn off.

That and there will be as many cops as there are women at that game if philthy is anywhere near .500, so, no.

I saw enough fights and dirtbag behavior at the 4 games I went to during this postseason to last me a lifetime.

Both games will sell out. All the teams are relatively close and the NHL holds back tickets for sponsors, most of which are HQ out of the NY area.

Reactions: New Jersey

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You're a smart guy so I won't ask if you understand what's happening with the climate, but it was well into the 40's, 50's and occasionally 60's for much of this past February.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the weather if I were a person who was so inclined to go.

That Yankee Stadium game though? Quite possibly the coldest shit I've ever done sans being at 4k ft in Vermont in February. This is coming from a guy who's been to >100 football games there.

Not a guy, and I don’t know about smart either.

I also wasn’t comparing the actual games because I don’t have the future dates.

The only comparison I was thinking of was Yankee Stadium vs Meadowlands on the same day, and then Meadowlands wins the cold contest there, by a lot.

I was at the 1987 NY Giants/Washington N.F.C. Championship Game in the old Giants Stadium and the freezing wind was insane. That game started at 4pm too, in early January. (I also wasn’t an adult and not a Giants fan, so it wasn’t a lot fun.)

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Not a guy, and I don’t know about smart either.

I also wasn’t comparing the actual games because I don’t have the future dates.

The only comparison I was thinking of was Yankee Stadium vs Meadowlands on the same day, and then Meadowlands wins the cold contest there, by a lot.

I was at the 1987 NY Giants/Washington N.F.C. Championship Game in the old Giants Stadium and the freezing wind was insane. That game started at 4pm too, in early January. (I also wasn’t an adult and not a Giants fan, so it wasn’t a lot fun.)
My apologies for assuming you're a cis dude, 99% of the posters here obviously are.

But, you're well aware of your intellect. As you should be.

I'm too young (damn it feels good to say that) to have been at an '87 playoff game, but all of those Giants and Jets games in Dec and Jan from '94 on? I don't recall anything as cold as that Devils game. Qualifier, my family's been Jets season ticket holders for going on 30 years and the Giants are my 1A team so fortunately I've spent a fair amount of time there in January.

There's still nothing like the summit of Mt Mansfield in February so I'll never complain about layering up.

I was just saying that I wouldn't be concerned about the weather given current trends and inevitabilities.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Both games will sell out. All the teams are relatively close and the NHL holds back tickets for sponsors, most of which are HQ out of the NY area.
Pm me. I'll place a fair amount of money in escrow on that.

We're talking about a bad team which doesn't look much better moving forward anytime soon, and a very, very good team that couldn't sell out a playoff game in the second round.

The Giants and especially the Jets don't sell out all of their home games and several times when they do it's because an awful lot of opposing fans are there.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My apologies for assuming you're a cis dude, 99% of the posters here obviously are.

But, you're well aware of your intellect. As you should be.

I'm too young (damn it feels good to say that) to have been at an '87 playoff game, but all of those Giants and Jets games in Dec and Jan from '94 on? I don't recall anything as cold as that Devils game. Qualifier, my family's been Jets season ticket holders for going on 30 years and the Giants are my 1A team so fortunately I've spent a fair amount of time there in January.

There's still nothing like the summit of Mt Mansfield in February so I'll never complain about layering up.

I was just saying that I wouldn't be concerned about the weather given current trends and inevitabilities.

A- I hate you for being young

B- political prisoners in third world wolrd countries have suffered less over the last thirty years than your family

C- did I mention I hate how young you are?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'll probably try to go to this one since I left the stadium series mad early after they started getting shelled.

It really all depends on ticket prices though for me. Not really trying to drop $100+ to sit in the uppers at that crappy, soulless, air conditioner stadium

Reactions: HBK27

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Definitely going to be interested in going to this one. Might end up sacrificing going to as many regular season games as I typically do to attend this one.

Having missed the Yankee Stadium one (and gladly so after the result), this one would be much easier for me to make work.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i like the idea of outdoor games but the yankee stadium game was so miserable from the cold to the delay to the outcome that i’m almost ok passing on this. will probably make a last minute decision when the weather forecast is clearer i have no idea how they’re going to fill the stadium for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad