2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d rather sign Guhle to a bridge deal and see if he’s just going to get hurt every season. Not quite sure what he is yet.
Guhle does not seem durable. Hopefully, they find a way to improve on that with a better off season regimen and closer monitoring.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The biggest addition will be the return of Kirby Dach.

Otherwise I don't want them to do anything in particular. Let's just ride with the pieces we have, including the youngsters in Laval.

We're in great shape here. Especially now that Slaf and Roy proved they were NHLers.
It depends. If someone crazy good is available and fits with the emerging window then sure. But I mostly agree. Let’s see what the kids can do

I’d rather sign Guhle to a bridge deal and see if he’s just going to get hurt every season. Not quite sure what he is yet.
It’s not a bad idea. But if you can extend him at a bargain then I‘d take the gamble

Reactions: Tyson

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Guhle does not seem durable and I'm wondering if this is what we're getting long term.

Is there anyone with a higher ceiling than Guhle at this year's draft? Cause if there is, and the BPA is that guy at the Habs' pick, then Guhle could then be used to land that high octane forward.

8nhaee.jpg

8nhabq.jpg

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
A news headline today…

Pennsylvania 13-year-old accused of attacking fellow student with Stanley cup during school​

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The biggest addition will be the return of Kirby Dach.

Otherwise I don't want them to do anything in particular. Let's just ride with the pieces we have, including the youngsters in Laval.

We're in great shape here. Especially now that Slaf and Roy proved they were NHLers.

100% dach will be the biggest add, but they also lost monahan in the process.

I see two top 6 slots that are up for grabs as far as the future movement goes. A couple unknowns right now who could be fixtures there are roy and newhook, but when the Habs do decide that they want to turn that corner, one of the things they will need is more proven top 6 options.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm actually far less worried after this season. I have no doubt Guhle is durable.
He now needs to learn how to protect himself stick up crosscheck style for frontal attacks and extended elbows in the corners and facing the boards.
I'm not sure if our skills coach can help him but knowing how to handle the boards as a Dman is a skill.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How many concussions now for Ghule? Seems like he’s suffered several every year he’s been in the NHL. Wondering when or if this should be a cause for concern in terms of committing to him with a long term deal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jeez, that looks like Robidas Island.

Nick, are you scoping the place for an eventual candidate? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I see two top 6 slots that are up for grabs as far as the future movement goes. A couple unknowns right now who could be fixtures there are roy and newhook, but when the Habs do decide that they want to turn that corner, one of the things they will need is more proven top 6 options.
Newhook seems to have morphed into good third line center. Replacing Monahan.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think one thing that we should be happy about is that while Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf & Matheson all set career highs in goals and points (Matheson tied his career high in goals), all four of the Habs' top scorers played in all 82 games.

It's no surprise for Suzuki as he is an iron man. I believe that he is third in consecutive games played among active players. But considering Cole, Slaf, & Matheson have missed time to injuries in the past, the fact they played all 82 games is encouraging. Only other player to play all 82 is Evans.

So they had 5 players play every game. The last two years, only Suzuki played all 82. So it's nice to see a handful of guys not miss time.

Anderson only missed 4, but with the way he played, you can argue he missed half the season even if he was on the ice. And another surprise is Gallagher, who missed 5 games only because of his 5-game suspension for the hit on Pelech. Or else, he could have played all 82. And for Gally, that is a huge thing.

Then you add Monahan playing evey single game before he was traded.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I think we can safely project Newhook as a top 6. He produced at a 20 goal, 50 point pace last season (same as Slaf), despite playing with a rotating cast of players like Gally and Armia for most of the time. He really carried that 2nd line while he was healthy.

Reactions: waitin425

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think one thing that we should be happy about is that while Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf & Matheson all set career highs in goals and points (Matheson tied his career high in goals), all four of the Habs' top scorers played in all 82 games.

It's no surprise for Suzuki as he is an iron man. I believe that he is third in consecutive games played among active players. But considering Cole, Slaf, & Matheson have missed time to injuries in the past, the fact they played all 82 games is encouraging. Only other player to play all 82 is Evans.

So they had 5 players play every game. The last two years, only Suzuki played all 82. So it's nice to see a handful of guys not miss time.

Anderson only missed 4, but with the way he played, you can argue he missed half the season even if he was on the ice. And another surprise is Gallagher, who missed 5 games only because of his 5-game suspension for the hit on Pelech. Or else, he could have played all 82. And for Gally, that is a huge thing.

Then you add Monahan playing evey single game before he was traded.
will be interesting to see if Newhook, Arbs and Dach can stay healthy next season. Anderson will bounce back, nowhere but up for him. I'd move Matheson if the deal was sweet, he could advance the rebuild at this draft. Same for Struble / Harris, wouldn't be sad to see any of them go to get some more weapons. I don't think we will be great next year anyways, may as well get some more youth.

Goaltending is sus, blueline is young and iffy... two key factors for making the playoffs and we are missing the pieces still.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think we can safely project Newhook as a top 6. He produced at a 20 goal, 50 point pace last season (same as Slaf), despite playing with a rotating cast of players like Gally and Armia for most of the time. He really carried that 2nd line while he was healthy.
Newhook/Armia/Gallagher is a good 3rd line. Add goal scorer to Dach line

Reactions: Rapala

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Your right but on a contending team there should be guys on the 3rd line that would be top-6 on other teams. Newhook has the tools to be a top-6 guy on a contender, but he hasn't shown that he can do that yet. Next year with a healthy Dach will go a long way in figuring out where he fits long term.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Your right but on a contending team there should be guys on the 3rd line that would be top-6 on other teams. Newhook has the tools to be a top-6 guy on a contender, but he hasn't shown that he can do that yet. Next year with a healthy Dach will go a long way in figuring out where he fits long term.
I think those types of players might be what Hughes will target in a trade. Find a contender with someone on the 3rd line earning 2nd line dollars. who can slot in to the top 6 with a couple of years left on their contract. You either get a prospect or a decent draft pick for opening the cap space for them. or move out a 3rd liner like Armia or Dvo for a player earning a couple million more than they do.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Newhook Beck Roy is a 3rd line I'd like to see in 2 years, meaning our 1st this year + 1 UFA/trade to fill out the other top 6 slots.

Then we are ready to play some serious hockey.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Newhook/Armia/Gallagher is a good 3rd line. Add goal scorer to Dach line
The problems start as soon as you have to bump players like Newhook and Armia the players filling those voids aren't cutting it.
I think both Newhook and Armia can be good short term replacements for a top six player but the domino effect hurts us.
If Roy can take ownership of a top six slot it will be helpful in the overall balance of the club.

Reactions: Runner77

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
From Arpon Basu:

According to Moneypuck.com, there were only four forward lines in the NHL that scored more goals at five-on-five this season than Nick Suzuki, Juraj Slafkovský and Cole Caufield. In terms of goals per 60 minutes of ice time among lines who played at least 400 minutes together, they were 10th, which is pretty elite company.

The 1st line is good, but lets look at context. The only lines to play more together 5v5 were Lafreniere-Trochek-Panarin and Forsberg-O'Rielly-Nyquist. On a per-60 basis, Armia-Newhook-Gallagher, Armia-Newhook-Roy and Monahan-Evans-Anderson were more productive.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf is a good line, especially in the kind of minutes they play, but not really in elite company. Only 20 lines played more than 400 minutes together, 10th in G/60 is literally average.

Honestly, I think as big a takeaway is that for the first time since the 2020-2021 season, Montreal was able to assemble a line with a positive goals and impacts that didn't include Suzuki or Lehkonen. Armia-Newhook-Gallagher were really effective together, and Armia-Newhook-Roy had flashes too. Growth of Suzuki, Slaf and Caufield is the most important, but its a big plus if Newhook can establish himself and make good on his upside. It would also be great if Gallagher can have a positive impact. Gallagher's still overpaid, but if he can have a 2017-2021 Dustin Brown-esque renaissance where he's an effective middle-6 winger then that would help a lot.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Newhook Beck Roy is a 3rd line I'd like to see in 2 years, meaning our 1st this year + 1 UFA/trade to fill out the other top 6 slots.

Then we are ready to play some serious hockey.
This is exactly what I have been thinking for a while now. If Habs are gonna be contenders, Newhook and Roy have to be on a third line because the top 6 players will be better.
Suzuki, Dach, Caufield, Slafkovsky, drafted forward in 2024 and young forward traded for some of our interesting assets.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is exactly what I have been thinking for a while now. If Habs are gonna be contenders, Newhook and Roy have to be on a third line because the top 6 players will be better.
Suzuki, Dach, Caufield, Slafkovsky, drafted forward in 2024 and young forward traded for some of our interesting assets.
I'll add my voice to this. I agree. Whoever we draft + whoever we trade for will fill out the top 6 and in 2 years....we have....

Slaf - Suzuki - Mack/Demi
Caufield - Dach - Necas?
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad