Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Next to the presumptive Norris winner. The stat line is appealing but can he anchor a pairing? I honestly haven’t seen enough Canucks games to know, but the word on him before he went to Vancouver is that he was an offensive defenseman and we really need a guy who can shut down top tier forwards.

Obviously if it’s between him and Perbix I’ll take him
I’m going to be 100% honest. No, he can’t anchor a pairing.

He’s a supportive piece. A good complimentary guy to an anchor. But he has not shown he is capable of anchoring his own pair.

He’s a good #3-4 defender, and again he will eat a ton of minutes, 22-25 minutes. He moves the puck well and obviously has offensive talent. He’s shown he is capable of holding his own defensively but there are definitely warts there. He is physical, feisty, and does engage in the rough aspect of hockey, but he isn’t a crease clearer or a menacing presence or anything like that.

He is decently reliable all things considered. He has definitely improved from his Detroit days playing with a better defensive system and obviously playing with probably the best possession defenseman in the league helps. Canucks need a Cirelli type player to play in the top 6 because we have Hoglander, Mikheyev, and Suter currently as our top 6 wingers lol

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I’m going to be 100% honest. No, he can’t anchor a pairing.

He’s a supportive piece. A good complimentary guy to an anchor. But he has not shown he is capable of anchoring his own pair.

He’s a good #3-4 defender, and again he will eat a ton of minutes, 22-25 minutes. He moves the puck well and obviously has offensive talent. He’s shown he is capable of holding his own defensively but there are definitely warts there. He is physical, feisty, and does engage in the rough aspect of hockey, but he isn’t a crease clearer or a menacing presence or anything like that.

He is decently reliable all things considered. He has definitely improved from his Detroit days playing with a better defensive system and obviously playing with probably the best possession defenseman in the league helps. Canucks need a Cirelli type player to play in the top 6 because we have Hoglander, Mikheyev, and Suter currently as our top 6 wingers lol

Thank you for your honesty. I mean he could be an amazing partner for Hedman potentially but we are in such a pickle with the cap that the upgrade over Raddysh probably isn’t enough to justify it. He’d be a luxury on a team that has to fix its holes

I dare say our top 4 is going to be pretty good and we just need bottom pairing defensemen who can actually defend instead.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Thank you for your honesty. I mean he could be an amazing partner for Hedman potentially but we are in such a pickle with the cap that the upgrade over Raddysh probably isn’t enough to justify it. He’d be a luxury on a team that has to fix its holes

I dare say our top 4 is going to be pretty good and we just need bottom pairing defensemen who can actually defend instead.
DeMelo would be perfect UFA RHD for you guys. He’s going to be a hot commodity. Florida’s a hard place to beat.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Just feels like the Lightning are at the Post-Cup Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals phase of their existence. Good solid team but not going to be able to hang with the top 3-4 teams in the League in a 7 games series.

Too many good pieces to tear down but not likely enough to win a Cup.
Yep, totally agree.... Throw in that fact: Lightning have dealt with, and are dealing with way worse cap situation than Hawks, Pens, Caps, or any salary cap team ever experienced too. It's like ya mentioned, a tough situation with no clear answer(s). NHL clubs has playoff success = Raises for everyone and NHL balance is restored.

Playoff Successes Lightning team had = Cap stress on steroids >>> That helped existing Lightning players shoot-up with expected salary. Many jumped into GTA 5 Galaxy Super Yacht, Maze Bank Tower(Jet-skis instead), and what-not compensation brackets afterwards. That's the nature of salary cap -vs- success business. In our house, losing loved Lightning players have been worse part, but we're very happy they all got paid though. Looking at whole situation: Lightning stars are below market value across-the-board(Vasy 10.5 is highest though). And have to give GM major kudos to keeping Lightning this competitive during flat-cap-scrap-crunch. But..... with Lightning's "Core" now, they'll compete like you mentioned NJBolt. But without secondary scoring depth, any D scoring help, unforced mistakes, and other shortcomings. Lightning won't be legit "Cup" contenders. Grrrrrr...... Lightning are hanging out in no-mans-land while hoping for lucky break with someone finding them.

In my opinion, it's amazing Lightning are still this competitive.
  • GM has made some great moves and some bad ones.
  • Lightning are using trades instead of draft to rebuild roster long-term.
  • While giving up futures to do it, and rest of NHL knows Lightning plans to stay "Cup" competitive.
  • Makes that strategy even tougher when sellers, especially teams fighting for same playoff spot as you, know you what you.... "Want" and that you..... "Need it" to boot.
  • Plus, NHL, E$PN, and others are probably ready for Lightning to just disappear for a bit, after so much recent playoff success. Would bet good money that NHL/E$PN wants other NHL clubs, younger upcoming stars, etc (Detroit, New Jersey. etc.) to shine now. Luckily, Lighting went on tear after trade deadline, and took any chance of fingers-on-scales off the table, concerning wildcard equation. That's what any team, that wants success, has to be able to do. Teams increase odds when taking more control of "Ones" own destiny (Lightning will not get favor right now when push comes to shove)
  • Believe Lightning's GM's main goal is 2-4 yrs from now. That's the target time-line to be serious "Cup" contenders again. Some of these long-term contracts will start having better value then, and allow better depth pieces. (Even depth effects how much any team can block shots, which was huge in winning back-to-back success). Younger and inexperience players will be more seasoned by then too.
  • Maybe "Core" believes this deep down too? Maybe that's why fans didn't witnessed Lightning completely selling out to win. They played hard, but did not haven same intensity/hunger shown during playoffs before back-to-back,. Or during one of guttiest deep playoff runs, that made this Lightning fan so proud!!! The effort that Lightning team gave during 3-peat attempt was legendary and showed "The Soul" of team. That "Soul" is why 8yrs of previously playoff success happened. Myself puts that playoff effort & results right with any "Cup won.
  • Just hope Lightning and GM figure it all out. But if organization keeps treating existing players like dirt, expendable, etc. Wouldn't be shocked if existing Lightning players feel.... "Why should I risk myself or career for that kind of treatment?"
  • Plus, NHL players around league watching GM' behavior lately, might not want to come here. Shoot, even Karma might have a say in this if front-office keeps this up!!!
  • Since McD: existing players have been disrespected, treated like dirt, and that's not a great look during negotiations process. One can make tough cap decisions while being honest, respectful, and most of those players dissed earned that much!!! GM is killing years of goodwill Lightning organization built with players. We'll see where this story ends, but look isn't good for Lightning. To be quite frank, makes us less proud of Lightning organization.
Appreciate all the post here! Enjoy reading different perspectives, no matter what angle one might be taking. Not a fan of like button though, but will try to hit like-button here & there if remembering to do so. Plus, I'm not always logged in when reading post (Mostly when posting I am). Regardless, I'll be creeping back into lurking mode only here now. Thanks for contributions again everyone and.... Go Lightning !!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peacefool

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Are there any words on Bolts players playing at World Championship besides Heddy? I would love to see Point, Cirelly for Team Canada, cuz without Russia Canada is my second most liked team and it would be fun to follow Canada if Point, Cirelli would play for them

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Would you guys be interested in Hronek for Cirelli swap?

Hronek is 26, put up 48 points, is RHD, feisty player. He won’t carry a pairing, but he eats a ton of minutes and works best with an offensive partner. He would be terrific with either Hedman or Sergachev.

Hronek rejected our $6M offer. Likely accepts less in a no tax state.
Wasn't there a rumour that Hronek was going to ask for $8M?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Are there any words on Bolts players playing at World Championship besides Heddy? I would love to see Point, Cirelly for Team Canada, cuz without Russia Canada is my second most liked team and it would be fun to follow Canada if Point, Cirelli would play for them
Canada just released their roster and there's no one from the Lightning. They still have three spots left open.

The USA has 10 spots open. Derek Lalonde is coaching.

The tournament is being hosted in Czechia, so Palat may decide to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peacefool

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Canada just released their roster and there's no one from the Lightning. They still have three spots left open.

The USA has 10 spots open. Derek Lalonde is coaching.

The tournament is being hosted in Czechia, so Palat may decide to go.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Outside fan here, but what would lightning fans think about trading vasi with 1-1.5 mil retention to a goalie starved team like NJ or LA and getting some value and allocating some of that Vasi cap space for depth forward and D. He has been underwelming the last 2 playoffs with a sub .900 save %. And for a team like the lightning looking to free up capspace, this could be an option.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Outside fan here, but what would lightning fans think about trading vasi with 1-1.5 mil retention to a goalie starved team like NJ or LA and getting some value and allocating some of that Vasi cap space for depth forward and D. He has been underwelming the last 2 playoffs with a sub .900 save %. And for a team like the lightning looking to free up capspace, this could be an option.
But then we’d have no goalie.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
But then we’d have no goalie.
That’s true. But I just saw georgiev advance over hellebuck, silovs over saros, F.Andersen over sorokin. Go find any goalie and spend a lot less for not much difference in production. I’d have to think most goalies would put up as good or close to vasi’s save % the last 2 years, and save a bunch in the cap. Which goalie? Who knows, use your scouts and target

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
If the Lighting are trying to free up capspace is because they want to retool and go for a Stanley once again. This doesn't happen without Vasi in net.
Also, retaining on such a long contract is a non starter unless you are entering a long term rebuild

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Any semi decent goalie is still like at least $6m so it doesn't save that much, especially if we're retaining. Not worth the risk.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I do understand what you're trying to say and the thought process here. But if Vasy goes, you might as well send in the wrecking crew and rebuild everything top to bottom. Anyone can win a draft lottery and draft a franchise center or defender. But finding that goaltender? That's the hardest part.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not going to gain any new friends here by saying this, but if we want to have one more run with these players, we absolutely need to make some desperate moves. We're not going anywhere if we just let these player age while hoping we can get the correct UFA deals done. Is trading Vasi something that can't even be explored? We're talking of getting value pieces back plus a ton of cap space. If we look at the past 5 Cup winners, Vasi is the only one that was an actual household name in the league.

Reactions: Ducati Boy

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm not going to gain any new friends here by saying this, but if we want to have one more run with these players, we absolutely need to make some desperate moves. We're not going anywhere if we just let these player age while hoping we can get the correct UFA deals done. Is trading Vasi something that can't even be explored? We're talking of getting value pieces back plus a ton of cap space. If we look at the past 5 Cup winners, Vasi is the only one that was an actual household name in the league.
1. You don't have friends.

2. We aren't trading Vasy, knock it off.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Vasy has full NMC so it doesn't matter but I would trade him if it were possible. He was barely better than Jonas Johansson for most of the season. I know he had an injury, but it just feels like in today's NHL goalies don't have much of an impact on the game. Look at Hellebuyck - allowed 5 goals per game in these playoffs lmao. At the same time, Vegas won the cup with some random guy in the net.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
My hope is something like a 3 year $18m contract for Stamkos, and a 3 year $18m extension for Hedman. Both have proven they will take less than market value in the past. Both deserve to end their careers with the Bolts and go into the HHOF as Bolts, as do Vasilevskiy and Kucherov

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
A 9.5 million goalie definitely isn't helping when most people here agree that the lack of depth is why this team isn't a contender anymore.
The only reason we stayed relatively close in the Florida series was Vasy. If we moved him at the expense of better depth, we'd still have a glaring hole in net. Give me 9.5ilevskiy over 6-7M goalies.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Vasy has full NMC so it doesn't matter but I would trade him if it were possible. He was barely better than Jonas Johansson for most of the season. I know he had an injury, but it just feels like in today's NHL goalies don't have much of an impact on the game. Look at Hellebuyck - allowed 5 goals per game in these playoffs lmao. At the same time, Vegas won the cup with some random guy in the net.
Did you feel this way watching Bobrovski in the first round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad