Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Priority one is to Sign Stamkos.
I think it is time to move on from JBB . His Jeannot trade and offseason signings closed the window for this team. I get he earned another year with b2b cups, but his last 1.5 seasons closed the window instead of extending it.
Convince Yzerman to come back.
Sign or cut- Both have to go. Jeannot and Sheary are a waste of almost 5 million in cap space.
See if there eis a market for Cernak. If not Trade Perbix
Do not resign Dumba, Dehann,Fleury,or Duclair
Sign a top 4 defenseman.
Call Up 2 out of Gonglaves, Howard, and Dukes.
Sign an enforcer and/or bottom 6 grinder for near league minimum

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Stamkos was the only guy to show up all playoffs. That was sad. He deserves better
Yep. I hope we bring him back. I hope he comes back and we retool. I just don't know if we can without JBB doing the opposite of the Jeannot trade and find some magic like the Hagel trade. I would rather suck with him in the line up without having to see Jeannot, Sheary,Dumba, Duclair,Fleury, and Dehann ever again.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Priority 1 is sign Stamkos

Priority 2 is ship pit Sheary and Jeannot

Priority 3 is to spend basically whatever is left for a RD. None of this revolving door old scrub bullshit. Someone who can actually play.

Other HM: perbix can get traded. Don't sign Duclair. We should sign a netter backup goalie. And of course, we should trade one of our big contracts to open up cap to sign some depth or trade for a top 6 winger

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
I was one who was very adamant on not bring back Stammer. But his play the last couple months + playoffs makes it an easy decision to bring him back

Who knows what the number will be, anything less that 6 would be amazing, but it's gonna be almost impossible to improve the team unless they move some big contracts out.

Paul and Cernak would be my choices.

But I expect we'll run it back, move Jeannot and Sheary and replace them nothing and be on the brink of the playoffs at the end of the season

Reactions: ultra63

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm all for a clean house of non core players.

Kucherov, Point, Hagel, Hedman, Vasy, Sergachev, and Cernak (because he's our only RD)

Those are the core imo.

1. Do what you can to keep Stamkos.
2. Cirelli was good in the playoffs but I'd listen to offers on him even though losing him hurts.
3. Get a RHD.
4. Move out Sheary, Jeannot, and Perbix. Let Dumba and Duclair walk. Neither are worth resigning.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
You're going to have to look into the market for Cernak, Sergachev, Paul, and Cirelli. I think you keep Cirelli but if the offer is too good, then you make it. Cernak just isn't worth it anymore.

I think Paul would fetch a surprisingly big return at the draft, but who knows. Sergachev likely stays but he's overpaid by about $2.5-3 million.

Reactions: TheSchmidt

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Fire JBB
Re-sign only Stamkos (more term lower AAV) and Motte (800-900k)
Don't re-sign any other UFAs
Trade Jeannot, Perbix and if possible Sheary
And let's see if the new GM can find useful players on the free market

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Have to make some tough decisions but need to change something, I could understand talking yourself into "running it back" last yar because we played well and lost because our $9.5M goalie having a true stinker of a postseason (which could maybe be explained due to injury that he had surgery for), but this entire regular season was a drag, we never really looked like much of anything until a hot streak in March that was ultimately just a mirage, and we got comprehensively outplayed in this series and nobody can point to Vasi as being anywhere near the biggest reasons we lost. The problems were squarely on having a shallow roster and very inadequate blueline.

My confidence in JBB as it is right now has sunk pretty low, he's had two pretty terrible off-seasons in a row so I can't say I expect he's going to get this right. I hope I end up being wrong. But definitely can't stay pat or anything like that, if we're going to avoid going the way of the post-2017 Blackhawks and wasting the rest of Kucherov/Stammer/Hedman/Point/Vasi the way they wasted the remainder of Kane and Toews's primes, JBB needs to nail this offseason. Otherwise, there's pretty much no doubt the window is closed. (I realize regardless it's probably closed.)

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Keep an eye on RFAs who aren't qualified and see if you can scoop in and get some value.

Be more aggressive on the waiver wire next season.

Can't be afraid to shake up the dressing room with a big trade, might send a shock through there that'll have em awake to start next season.

And of course, sign Stamkos.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Coop and JBB are a package deal.

Just think it is time for some new ideas and new blood.

Very very thankful for all Coop and JBB have done.

Not gonna badmouth anyone. We have been blessed with great hockey for a decade.

This happens everywhere.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Starting June 15th, he has a m-ntc where JBB can ship him to 16 teams, so I'm sure they'll find someone to take him.
16 teams is half the league. I think the bottom teams on his "no" list and the top teams will not trade for him so it's not easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad