Red Sox/MLB 2024 Off-Season Part 3: Full Throttle Edition: Sale Dealt to Braves

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
MLB.com put out an interesting article highlighting what, according to Molly Burkhardt (via an excerpt from Ian Browne), the Red Sox are going to do. And I believe that either this is where @smithformeragent got the title for this thread from or Burkhardt edited the title to her article to this thread (two hours in advance) as...well...

1703614955515.png

Totally didn't say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek btw

:^)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Since the last thread closed before I could reply, I kind of feel like people don't really know what Moneyball actually is, if the word itself even means anything at all.

I'm not claiming I'm more insightful than anyone, but I don't think the entire 2000 to 2014 Oakland A's under Billy Beane is Moneyball. The focus of the book and movie was a very specific case study of 2002 where the A's with a promising young core of the Big 3 plus Chavez/Tejada/Dye lost Giambi, Damon, and Isringhausen all at once to free agency and had to use their scant resources and ingenuity to replace their production and remain competitive by finding market inefficiencies.

One thing I will say about those teams is that they all had tremendously deep and specialized bullpens (the irony being that Koch blew the ALDS in 2002 and Foulke in 2003). Billy Beane had great vision for building teams greater than the sum of their parts. But he inherited a great core that Sandy Alderson drafted and did his best to keep it competitive without the money that major market teams had as long as he could. But eventually the rest of the league caught up to them in terms of advanced stats and such.

Reactions: CDJ and sarge88

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
@DKH
Wells, Price, Darwin, Clement, Lackey?

Lot of guys who didn’t like Boston signed here
I didn’t get the impression from Danny that he disliked Boston. It was more about his preference to play closer to his family in Texas. His parents have since passed and his kids are grown, so he joined the Chattanooga Lookouts as pitching coach.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m going Lucas Giolito.

Tom Werner idea will be to have a couple Giolito ice cream stands with a plastic cup extra $2 with Lucas Giolito likeness

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Since the last thread closed before I could reply, I kind of feel like people don't really know what Moneyball actually is, if the word itself even means anything at all.

I'm not claiming I'm more insightful than anyone, but I don't think the entire 2000 to 2014 Oakland A's under Billy Beane is Moneyball. The focus of the book and movie was a very specific case study of 2002 where the A's with a promising young core of the Big 3 plus Chavez/Tejada/Dye lost Giambi, Damon, and Isringhausen all at once to free agency and had to use their scant resources and ingenuity to replace their production and remain competitive by finding market inefficiencies.

One thing I will say about those teams is that they all had tremendously deep and specialized bullpens (the irony being that Koch blew the ALDS in 2002 and Foulke in 2003). Billy Beane had great vision for building teams greater than the sum of their parts. But he inherited a great core that Sandy Alderson drafted and did his best to keep it competitive without the money that major market teams had as long as he could. But eventually the rest of the league caught up to them in terms of advanced stats and such.

An issue I take with it is that the book and movie labeled Jermaine Dye and Nick Swisher as being those kind of players you can only find with inefficiencies. Or Frank Thomas. Or Mark Kotsay. Or any other litany of players that many other teams would've taken a flyer on like the A's did had they been desperate enough. I also think it gives owners the impression they can claw back money and depreciate player salaries.

I’m going Lucas Giolito.

Tom Werner idea will be to have a couple Giolito ice cream stands with a plastic cup extra $2 with Lucas Giolito likeness

That hypothetical just made me throw up in my mouth.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m glad Werner said Full Throttle because he should be smart enough to know it will be used against him till he dies

Therefore they should get not be in on BS some players - and make a deal for a pitcher

Reactions: EvilDead

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tom Werner must be “lucky sperm” because he comes across as dumb as a stump.
Lucked into being buddies with a rapist (Cosby) and made a lot of money off of it. He can say whatever he wants about it being awful after Cosby was convicted, but these allegations against Cosby were well known for awhile.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tom Werner must be “lucky sperm” because he comes across as dumb as a stump.
He produced two monster shows (literally & figuratively) in Cosby & Rosanne and their syndication was a golden goose until ….

He destroyed the padres who were loaded at the time (Fred McGriff took time from his HOF spot night he got in to talk about what a potential powerhouse they should have had)

San Diego drafted Todd Helton in 1992 in second round and Helton said wanted to sign - Werner overruled the scouting director killing deal and he went back in draft - rest is history - Werner sucks

I been following Werner for 35 years having no idea he’d end up here - and Wil McDonagh knew this and was all over it when they got team - but McDonagh died suddenly and Henry spent- Werner was TV guy)

He’s a cheap prick and as John Henry lives out Linda’s fantasy in England the Sox have been crumbling

The only thing to get Henry’s attention is bad press and irate fans

It’s worked every time

I can accept not being reckless like the Mets and get the Dodgers and Mets but they need to be sitting at or within 5% of the top of the salary cap ceiling

Don’t get beat out for Hernandez by the Phillies / don’t get beat out by St Louis for Montgomery and don’t say Full Throttle without realizing what you are saying and to whom

They could get Hernández, Drury, one or two starters and make a deal and lessen the fallout

But whether it’s ‘Let’s Go Red Sox’ chant or Full Throttle, they need to pause and count to 5 whenever there is a microphone infront of them

Hopefully Full Throttle gets them to get off their ass

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He also ran the Padres into the ground when he briefly owned them, the highlight being when he invited Roseanne Barr to sing the national anthem.

Also, great trivia question for everyone: Who was the starting pitcher for the Padres that night who took the mound right after Roseanne's performance?

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He also ran the Padres into the ground when he briefly owned them, the highlight being when he invited Roseanne Barr to sing the national anthem.

Also, great trivia question for everyone: Who was the starting pitcher for the Padres that night who took the mound right after Roseanne's performance?
Was it perhaps Sox legend Bruce Hurst?

Edit: Schiraldi was on that team too, wow

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Go on to Linda Henry instagram and it’s like she’s Rebecca Welton

It’s fantastic stuff - worth it but a few minutes you will realize the Red Sox don’t matter to her

And if they don’t matter to her they don’t matter to her husband who’s wasting away (get Luis Tiant to send over to Liverpool some Cuban sandwiches)

She is living it and somewhere out there is going to be one lucky landscapper or personal trainer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

It’s fantastic stuff - worth it but a few minutes you will realize the Red Sox don’t matter to her

And if they don’t matter to her they don’t matter to her husband who’s wasting away (get Luis Tiant to send over to Liverpool some Cuban sandwiches)

She is living it and somewhere out there is going to be one lucky landscapper or personal trainer
Not surprised one bit.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He’s a Hollywood guy running a baseball team into the ground.

Never forget, “let’s god Red Sox!”

She cares me the most when old head Henry kicks the bucket. I hope to Christ she sells the Sox.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
He produced two monster shows (literally & figuratively) in Cosby & Rosanne and their syndication was a golden goose until ….

He destroyed the padres who were loaded at the time (Fred McGriff took time from his HOF spot night he got in to talk about what a potential powerhouse they should have had)

San Diego drafted Todd Helton in 1992 in second round and Helton said wanted to sign - Werner overruled the scouting director killing deal and he went back in draft - rest is history - Werner sucks

I been following Werner for 35 years having no idea he’d end up here - and Wil McDonagh knew this and was all over it when they got team - but McDonagh died suddenly and Henry spent- Werner was TV guy)

He’s a cheap prick and as John Henry lives out Linda’s fantasy in England the Sox have been crumbling

The only thing to get Henry’s attention is bad press and irate fans

It’s worked every time

I can accept not being reckless like the Mets and get the Dodgers and Mets but they need to be sitting at or within 5% of the top of the salary cap ceiling

Don’t get beat out for Hernandez by the Phillies / don’t get beat out by St Louis for Montgomery and don’t say Full Throttle without realizing what you are saying and to whom

They could get Hernández, Drury, one or two starters and make a deal and lessen the fallout

But whether it’s ‘Let’s Go Red Sox’ chant or Full Throttle, they need to pause and count to 5 whenever there is a microphone infront of them

Hopefully Full Throttle gets them to get off their ass

John Henry isn't some saint either. He and Werner are birds of a feather. The man bought the Florida Marlins off of Wayne Huizenga, cut payroll and tore the team down to the studs, and then flipped the Marlins for a princely profit to that team killing son of a bitch Jeffery Loria. These man are snake oil salesman who were willing to spend when it was easy to pour money into it and prices were "manageable". Now they take the team for granted and treat them like another line number in their stock portfolio. Just like they did the Padres and the Marlins beforehand.

I fear, as Fenway has alluded to before, we have found the reincarnation of Jean Yawkey.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Never forget, “let’s god Red Sox!”

She cares me the most when old head Henry kicks the bucket. I hope to Christ she sells the Sox.
anyone who looks at her Instagram and knows Werner background should understand the Sox live at the intersection of apathy and making money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad