Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That does look quite nice actually…

Looks nice on paper. Not sure how it translates in production. If we move Schmaltz then I'd be much more inclined to bring in Guenztel. I wasn't all that impressed with him on Carolina though. The drop off of his performance from being stapled to Crosby and then playing with Aho was noticeable. Now imagine if Hayton is his center?

But I think this is just a talking head speculating a couple minutes after an elimination game and tying it to the team with the most cap and new owners/location that would be very logical to make a splash like this.

I do think we make a big move. I don't think it's at wing though.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Looks nice on paper. Not sure how it translates in production. If we move Schmaltz then I'd be much more inclined to bring in Guenztel. I wasn't all that impressed with him on Carolina though. The drop off of his performance from being stapled to Crosby and then playing with Aho was noticeable. Now imagine if Hayton is his center?

But I think this is just a talking head speculating a couple minutes after an elimination game and tying it to the team with the most cap and new owners/location that would be very logical to make a splash like this.

I do think we make a big move. I don't think it's at wing though.
Yeah I agree. I think it’s pretty clear that it’s D or C or it’s not really worth it…

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Chych would be fun but I would go after Seamus Casey. All of our defense dose not need to be giants. Just signed a 3 year contract and no room on the roster with the Devil's.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Chych would be fun but I would go after Seamus Casey. All of our defense dose not need to be giants. Just signed a 3 year contract and no room on the roster with the Devil's.
Durzi, Moser, Valimaki, koly, kesselring and Soda. Not exactly giants. Our prospects are bigger but our current roster isn't very big at all.
Imo, our defense is the biggest weakness and hopefully gets a major facelift this offseason.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Is Bertuzzi a better fit than Guentzel? He's good for 20 goals while Guentzel is good for 35, but Bertuzzi brings some toughness.

1 year for Dillon (replaced by Simashev)
2 years for Pesce (replaced by Lamoureux)
2 years for Bertuzzi (replaced by winner of Matikka / Lutz / Nordh / Lipkin)

Geekie and But replace Bjugstad and Kerfoot.

Each of those UFA contracts is an overpay to keep them short.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Is Bertuzzi a better fit than Guentzel? He's good for 20 goals while Guentzel is good for 35, but Bertuzzi brings some toughness.

Highly unlikely Dillon signs a 1 year deal. Pesce wont sign a 2 year either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
BA has what is probably the most cap space of any team in the salary cap era. Probably even more than any expansion team. I want to see shock and awe levels of signings that put the rest of the league on notice. Anything less is not a great sign.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Durzi, Moser, Valimaki, koly, kesselring and Soda. Not exactly giants. Our prospects are bigger but our current roster isn't very big at all.
Imo, our defense is the biggest weakness and hopefully gets a major facelift this offseason.
Not disagreeing with you but more focused on skill then size. Durzi is a 3 Dan Moser 4/5 Dman. The rest shouldn't really be in the NHL over a 7 Dman. I would say Bill, what would next year's first, 2 seconds from this year and Soda get us for a Dman. Want to announce it at the draft.. Make it so

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We have huge amounts of cap space. Who's the prime UFA target?

Pesce?

Or does Bill look to add a younger star through the trade market instead?

Chychrun would be a fun acquisition.
BA was as clear as he was emphatic that 6+ year UFA contracts for 28+ year old vets hurts the rebuild and keeps you from winning when you’re finally ready to win. I really REALLY don’t think he’s going there.

I think he’s more likely to trade assets for similarly aged guys that have shorter deals. Which seems counterintuitive until you think about a time in the near future when all the blue chips are cashing in on their 2nd and 3rd contracts.

BA has what is probably the most cap space of any team in the salary cap era. Probably even more than any expansion team. I want to see shock and awe levels of signings that put the rest of the league on notice. Anything less is not a great sign.
You want him to sign a bunch of 28, 29, and 30 year olds to six and seven year deals?

I’m not attached to any of those 2025 or 2026 2nd round picks. Trade all of them for all I care. Just get younger players with some team control remaining. More Durzis and more McBains.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Pesce is likely to get a 6-7 year deal. UFAs always get overpaid and teams add extra years they plan to buyout in order to keep the AAV down. That’s not appropriate for teams at the stage of the rebuild that Utah is in.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

Whose ice time are you giving or who are you cutting so you can pay 29 year old Bertuzzi $5m?
LW - Keller - 76p
LW - Crouse - 42p
LW - Maccelli - 57p
LW - Carcone - 29p

LW - Bertuzzi - 43p

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If Necas is available we need to make a play for him. 60 point center, 25 years old. 5x5M?

Keller - Necas - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Cooley - Gunether
Crouse - Hayton - Doan
Kerfoot - Bjugstad - Mcbain

Pretty respectable top 12

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Post game interview last night and Tkachuk was talking about the Panthers defense and how he thought big defenseman were needed to win in the NHL. Seems to be BAs approach no doubt.

The Cats back 6 last night:

6'5
6'4
6'2
6'1

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If Necas is available we need to make a play for him. 60 point center, 25 years old. 5x5M?

Keller - Necas - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Cooley - Gunether
Crouse - Hayton - Doan
Kerfoot - Bjugstad - Mcbain

Pretty respectable top 12
He will likely be available but if we are to spend on a center...seems like we would want someone who can win faceoffs...

1716076266901.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad