GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yah sorry, it's been a super tough couple years for me. My life was kind of on the verge of total collapse but I managed to hold things together just barely and things are back on the upswing now. Health issues, marriage issues, lost $60k when the housing market crashed and we were right in the middle of closing on our new home and ended up having to back out... Anyway, the Sharks were not good for my mental health and I needed to put them in the background for a bit so I didn't have that stress too. I've been lurking the whole time though, I check in at least every few weeks, I Just don't post much because I am so out of touch at this point with the team. My 9 year old plays hockey though and loves it so I was thinking this would be a good year to get back to watching the Sharks again.

Always enjoyed your posts, man, so hope to see you back this year! Sorry about the rough time. Maybe, like the Sharks, you're on the upswing...

Celebrini in good company in Byron Baders model

99% star and 99% NHLer projection

His comparables last year are also very fun

just mario lemieux nbd

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Yah sorry, it's been a super tough couple years for me. My life was kind of on the verge of total collapse but I managed to hold things together just barely and things are back on the upswing now. Health issues, marriage issues, lost $60k when the housing market crashed and we were right in the middle of closing on our new home and ended up having to back out... Anyway, the Sharks were not good for my mental health and I needed to put them in the background for a bit so I didn't have that stress too. I've been lurking the whole time though, I check in at least every few weeks, I Just don't post much because I am so out of touch at this point with the team. My 9 year old plays hockey though and loves it so I was thinking this would be a good year to get back to watching the Sharks again.

Sorry to hear that bud. For me this week is the most I've been engaged on the boards in years, so I can definitely relate to that. And so glad to hear you are doing better! For me, very rough times were 2019 and 2020, but I have mostly bounced back. Wish I had more job security though lol.

I also see 2024-2025 season as the latest "reboot" season for the Sharks, especially, since outside of Couture (who might LTIRetire at any point) and Vlasic (benched/buried), we aren't likely to see anyone else from the 18-19 squad play for the team. Won't be the first reboot season, as 97-98 was the first reboot IMHO, then 05-06 IMHO, but each of these reboot seasons are good times to hop in (or hop back into) the fandom of the Sharks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Woh. Quite the reference.

When I got into basketball in the mid 90s (getting a team here helped a lot with that. Losing said team like 6 years later was less helpful) I also really learned about the league from some books and from the NBA Courtside/Kobe Bryant games on the N64. He was on the Kings by that point but I always traded for Richmond because he was a lethal shooter. Maybe I was ahead of my time because my whole team ethos was to just load up on shooters and rain down 3s. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Happy to have you back, man. There's so few of us old guard left here that it always puts a smile on my face to see a familiar name.

And at least we know that you weren't eaten by a polar bear like Spacemania probably was :sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We probably won’t be drafting first again, but honestly tanking is not something you want to do long term anyways or risk your team just dying off like Buffalo
Most teams only get a period of maybe 3 years where they are really bad. Don’t want to stay there long especially when your better prospects are nhl ready.

Detroit’s worst years were 2018-2021. Then Seider and Raymond arrived in 2020 so being really terrible wouldn’t be good for their development.

Anaheim the past 4 have been 2nd, 10th, worst and 3rd worst. Will have netted them MacTavish, Mintyukov, Carlson and whomever this draft. All 3 of those guys plus Gauthier, Zelleweger, Lacombe are on the roster next season. Need a better environment if they are going to develop them.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
SJeasy passed away, sadly

I have no proof, but I have suspicions that SJEasy passed away. I know he was older and he would occasionally message me about being away for periods because of health issues but he usually would return on time after telling me he'd be gone for a week or two. But eventually after he had been AWOL for a while after leaving no such message I did some sleuthing to try and figure out clues to his identity and if I'm correct about it I found what could very well be an obituary from some time during his inactive period that could match him based on his real name and location. :(

I won't share it because it's already years after the fact and there's always the chance that it's not him, plus my figuring out info about him to look for was based on using things I have access to as a mod which are not for public consumption so I can't violate that trust. But I feel like the info presented probably leans more towards being accurate than it does being a coincidence.
I used to love his analysis. Very detailed and unbiased. I learned a lot from him. I wish him peace and joy wherever he is. Hopefully he is smiling in the heavens now that the Sharks have the 1st pick.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I thought Vaasa might be Hodge, there’s a similar abrasiveness (though Hodge has mellowed out since he’s, I assume, done a bunch of mushrooms.)

I follow JTR on Twitter, yeah. He made a modeling system and left us for greener pastures.
What reason would Vaasa have to hide? People generally liked him. Towards the end, he was great at steelmanning his opponents (something a few rabid posters struggle with doing).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why are there games still being played, San Jose already won the Stanley cup and only win that matters this year. Cancel all games and just get to the draft.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad