GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Compared to last year, Celebrini is below Bedard and above Smith. But where do folks think Celebrini falls in comparison to Carlsson and Fantilli, i.e.., if he was in last year's draft, where would he have gotten picked?
Hard to say between Mack, Carlsson, and Fantilli. I don’t really think there’s a wrong answer between them. I’m a little biased, but I like Celebrini the most on account of his high hockey IQ and plus-plus defensive game, though he doesn’t have the physical tools of the other two.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Clutterbuck is about done as a NHLer plus you’ve got players like him on the roster kinda of redundant. I like the idea of Duke coming back Dallas is up against the cap and Pavs lack of foot speed was real evident in the Vegas series so it’s possible the stars let him walk
I strongly expect Duke back. Could be the one big term grier hands out. Guy in his prime, good speed.

Thing about guys like clutterbuck is that any flyer on a guy like that has to be cheap. throwing big money for no reason at all is just dumb.

Basically sign 3-4 top end UFA's for way to much in exchange for 1-2 year term? march 2 yrs, 18M? Montour 2 yrs 16M? similar for Demelo. 2 yr 14M for stephenson?

it will be hard to land anyone, but for enough $$$? and if they dont hand out term over 2 years, then whats the downside? if they suck, they suck. if they play well, then youve rented them while the kids ply their trade.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Just saw that you guys won, congratulations. Can't tell you how happy I am for you Sharks fans.

All the best in the draft and the upcoming season.

I think fans of 31 teams all thought "Thank god!" when Chicago didn't win Celebrini as well. It remained to be seen whether Bedard + Demidov is the new Crosby + Malkin.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Don't start sprinting when you're only halfway through the marathon.
I get the philosophy, but you gotta spend somehow?

I suppose the other option is to trade cap space for even more prospects/picks by taking on bad short term deals for cash strapped contenders. Blah...

Personally, I dunno if the fan base will forgive another year like this one. The tank was empty, the culture was toxic. Obviously, there is optimism getting super lucky with mack, but they need to build a winning culture and you dont do that by adding players with the full expectation you will stink.

They also need to start adding the next base this summer. Having 60M in space next summer is not good. Rarely is there 60M worth of talent that you can and want to land. I think this summer can be a mix of respectable long term deals with short term overpaid 1-2 yr deals.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

I suppose the other option is to trade cap space for even more prospects/picks by taking on bad short term deals for cash strapped contenders. Blah...

Personally, I dunno if the fan base will forgive another year like this one. The tank was empty, the culture was toxic. Obviously, there is optimism getting super lucky with mack, but they need to build a winning culture and you dont do that by adding players with the full expectation you will stink.

They also need to start adding the next base this summer. Having 60M in space next summer is not good. Rarely is there 60M worth of talent that you can and want to land. I think this summer can be a mix of respectable long term deals with short term overpaid 1-2 yr deals.
We don't have to spend $30 million.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I strongly expect Duke back. Could be the one big term grier hands out. Guy in his prime, good speed.

Thing about guys like clutterbuck is that any flyer on a guy like that has to be cheap. throwing big money for no reason at all is just dumb.

Basically sign 3-4 top end UFA's for way to much in exchange for 1-2 year term? march 2 yrs, 18M? Montour 2 yrs 16M? similar for Demelo. 2 yr 14M for stephenson?

it will be hard to land anyone, but for enough $$$? and if they dont hand out term over 2 years, then whats the downside? if they suck, they suck. if they play well, then youve rented them while the kids ply their trade.
Montour is if you’re pushing for the playoffs, Demelo that’s an absurd waste of money lol. No guarantee that Macklin is playing in the NHL yet so there’s that

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The next 2 seasons should be viewed as developmental seasons, spent establishing culture and providing experience to not only the young players with elite potential, but guys like Gushchin, Bordeleau, Graf, Thrun etc. to see if they have what it takes to be high level NHLers and part of the future. Filling the roster with aging veterans, in positions where it's not necessary (i.e. Forward, I'd sign every FA defensemen on the planet right now), doesn't serve any real purpose. The goal is establishing long term success and hopefully winning a championship.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
1 Celebrini
14 Trevor Connelly? No, GMMG would not pick a kid with a questionable off the ice issue?
DRAFTROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
2024#1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks

Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
2024 NHL Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

You don't have to spend to the cap. Or anywhere near it.

You buy trade assets. Guys like Duclair that are open to short-term contracts at reasonable values or discounts because they need to rehab their reputation after a down year or coming off injury or something like that.

your suggestions are going out and splurging all the cap space available on name guys like Guentzel or players "meant" for playoff-bound teams looking to fill that lost hole or two. Those guys aren't coming to the Sharks because they'll be in demand with teams that have aspirations of contention or because they're cashing in at the height of their FA value and are going to be looking for long-term security. Instead you do what Grier did for this last season: a collection of misfit toys where you hope that a couple of them find their way enough to be worth a 2nd to 4th or some playoff team's cast-off prospect they don't have room for or who has disappointed and needs to rebuild their own value.

The Sharks are likely only $12-15m from next season's cap floor. Spend to that point, set up to be an attractive seller at the deadline, be a team that can facilitate for other teams and absorb cap hits or re-route guys in trade for contenders (not as easy since they're without their retention slots for next season).

They'll find ways to spend cap space when they need to. It's not a big deal. Sitting here and fretting about having X amount of space on the books a couple years from now as some sort of impetus to start spending now is pointless. No team has ever had its GM go to the media and say "yeah, I just can't spend money as fast as I need to."

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not touching Connelly with a 10 foot pole.
What about, like, poking and prodding him with that pole in a mildly annoying way?

If anything, I would suggest it increases the likelihood the other team will have a goon in their line up that would do something like it.

Thankfully, Reaves is under contract.
And if you ask me, played a pretty big part in two Toronto losses in the first round. Noah Gregor was a major upgrade on him in their lineup!

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If anything, I would suggest it increases the likelihood the other team will have a goon in their line up that would do something like it.

Thankfully, Reaves is under contract.

Pretty much this. But even regardless of that there's been research done which suggests that if there is any correlation between dressing a goon and what happens to your players, it's that you're more likely to have guys get hurt or be the victim of suspension-worthy hits and whatnot. But for the most part having an enforcer mostly does nothing and almost certainly doesn't actually help you sustain less injuries or be targeted for fewer cheap shots.

And that's just like 15-20 minutes of research and link-gathering.

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
Well the 1C part of the rebuild is done! A huge relief after last year. Not to say that Smith couldn't be one, but now he's either a first line winger or an elite 2C.

An argument can be made that Celebrini + Smith may be a better combo than Bedard + (likely) Demidov, too. Not too bad!

Next list of items:
  • Bring in two or three solid players on 3-4 year deals this summer, maybe with some overpay (ex. Duclair, Lindholm, DeBrusk, Roy) that can A) create some structure over the next two years and then B) can bump down the lineup once the kids start arriving.
  • Keep some cap space this year to take on expiring contracts for additional futures at the 2025 deadline.
  • Set yourself up for another top 5 pick next season, maybe you get lucky and win #1/#2. Hope for Vegas to enter true cap hell and completely faceplant for a second lottery ball. Maybe grab a top D man here or get an asset that you can flip for one later.
  • Keep enough cap available to go big game hunting for one UFA in summer 2025... if it looks like at least three of Musty, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt, and Edstrom are really going to hit.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Well the 1C part of the rebuild is done! A huge relief after last year. Not to say that Smith couldn't be one, but now he's either a first line winger or an elite 2C.

An argument can be made that Celebrini + Smith may be a better combo than Bedard + (likely) Demidov, too. Not too bad!

Next list of items:
  • Bring in two or three solid players on 3-4 year deals this summer, maybe with some overpay (ex. Duclair, Lindholm, DeBrusk, Roy) that can A) create some structure over the next two years and then B) can bump down the lineup once the kids start arriving.
  • Keep some cap space this year to take on expiring contracts for additional futures at the 2025 deadline.
  • Set yourself up for another top 5 pick next season, maybe you get lucky and win #1/#2. Hope for Vegas to enter true cap hell and completely faceplant for a second lottery ball. Maybe grab a top D man here or get an asset that you can flip for one later.
  • Keep enough cap available to go big game hunting for one UFA in summer 2025... if it looks like at least three of Musty, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt, and Edstrom are really going to hit.
Thinking about it, the forwards are fine. Maybe you'd like an extra top-six center:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Kunin
Gushchin-Sturm-Smith
Bordeleau-Carpenter-Graf

The defense is a real issue. The Sharks need a puck-mover. I would target Reilly from TML. They also need a shutdown guy...Roy, Faulk, etc. should work. Trade Ferraro, buyout Vlasic:

Rielly-Emberson
Thrun-Faulk
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Rutta

Now each rookie is paired with a vet.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
As excited as I am that we got our 1C of the future, I agree that the team building still needs to be done with a lot of patience. We'll need solid free agents (defencemen) this summer to help the younger players coming up, but we don't need to get the best pieces just yet.
Get players that are solid and have a good track record, with shorter term but bigger cap.

I think MG is working on it as we speak and will try to find a good combination for our next year team. It's all about just building the chemistry, the winning culture even though we don't win as much as a playoff team. I want to see smiles, comeback victories, exciting OT's and anything that can get young players feeling like ''Next year, we'll be a lot better''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier