GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Hopefully Grier is smart with all off this extra cap space, probably should prioritize a blue line leader from a cap strapped team along with snagging prospects maybe start slinging some offer sheets but he’ll probably do his standard sign a bunch of tweener NHL/ahl 3rd and 4th line forwards and 6 and 7 Dmen
This is my biggest nightmare. Up to this point, every signing hes had has been GOD AWFUL. Kunin, lindbom, sturm, borroughs, benning, G Smith... I dont include the salary dumps like Hoffman or Ruuta, but he has deployed over 10M per year on garbage. The only upside is that he didnt handcuff himself for THIS MOMENT. He signed filler to short deals and traded aging term rather adroitly so he could make the future run with ample cap space. With this lottery win, the future starts NOW.

Now is the time to sign quality for bigger deals with term and build the vet/young mix they need to compete for the next 5+ years. I am OK with him handing term if it brings in quality. We dont need another year of garbage. This summer is THE big test for grier. He's already gotten lucky winning Mack, but he gets no credit for that. I truly cannot wait for July 1st.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
This is my biggest nightmare. Up to this point, every signing hes had has been GOD AWFUL. Kunin, lindbom, sturm, borroughs, benning, G Smith... I dont include the salary dumps like Hoffman or Ruuta, but he has deployed over 10M per year on garbage. The only upside is that he didnt handcuff himself for THIS MOMENT. He signed filler to short deals and traded aging term rather adroitly so he could make the future run with ample cap space. With this lottery win, the future starts NOW.

Now is the time to sign quality for bigger deals with term and build the vet/young mix they need to compete for the next 5+ years. I am OK with him handing term if it brings in quality. We dont need another year of garbage. This summer is THE big test for grier. He's already gotten lucky winning Mack, but he gets no credit for that. I truly cannot wait for July 1st.
I disagree on Sturm and Kunin and lesser extent Burroughs these kind of players are needed when you are where the sharks are currently at. all the other were like he was handing out contracts to friends who needed jobs. Honestly allowing Aliou to sign the Cuda was terrible also. It would be funny if he traded for mark stone though

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
awwww, but I just got my allowance!!!??? Now, I cant spend it???

I think there are wise ways to spend it that wont hurt long term. Recognize, the sharks have a ton more space coming off next summer too... Grandlund (5M), Ruuta (~3M), Strum (2M), Blackwood (2.4M), Vanacek (3.4M).

Add in a potential pickles buyout, and they will have 10's of millions more next summer too.

I want Marchassault (7), Stephenson (5), and Guentzel(7), Along with Montour (5.5), Demelo (5.5), and Skjei(6). Thats a total of 36M. If cooch LTIR's, then wed still have 10M left over. MMMMmmmmm....

So Grier just cleared a bunch of bad long term contracts and you think his next course of action should be to hand out a bunch of bad long term contracts to players in their late 20’s/ early 30’s because we got Celebrini and you’re impatient? Bad idea. Also, not feasible.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Well, that's one point of view. Who do you think the Sharks could have attracted the past two years, though?

I'd argue that the Meier, Karlsson, and Hertl trades were pretty damn big tests already.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Yes, his signings haven't been great, but he didn't have loads of cap space. Not saying he should use a big chunk of this cap space, but he can be smarter now. I think a lot of us would be happy bringing back Brenden Dillon, and maybe a cheap flyer on someone like John Klingberg.

At forward, I could see Grier interested in guys that would help form the identity of the Grier Sharks. Someone like Cal Clutterbuck on a one year deal feels like a Grier move. (And hell, bring Duke back. And/or Pavs if somehow the Stars let him hit free agency and he still wants to play. The fanbase would lose their minds if the team brought back Pavs to play with the prospects)

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’d personally be very okay with one more year of tanking. I think if we can land a big free agent we should move on it, but rushing this thing isn’t necessary at this point.
I think the Sharks are done “tanking”, in that we’re done tearing it down and we’ve hit rock bottom. The Sharks will still be bottom-5 (and most likely bottom-2) next year no matter how much they can improve, realistically.

I expect another top-5 pick next year, a top-10 pick the year after, and then to be a playoff contender.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Yes completely agree here, I guess I misused the term tanking, I have basically the exact same expectations you listed.
I’d rather not rush and risk taking on bad contracts only to get marginally better. I don’t mind spending a bit of money but we’re not out of our lottery season era just yet.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think the Sharks are done “tanking”, in that we’re done tearing it down and we’ve hit rock bottom. The Sharks will still be bottom-5 (and most likely bottom-2) next year no matter how much they can improve, realistically.

I expect another top-5 pick next year, a top-10 pick the year after, and then to be a playoff contender.
I expect another top 5 next year and then a surprising run the year after Ala NJ before taking a step back.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
R.gif

Reactions: Munnyro

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm not even convinced Celebrini is that much worse of an all around prospect than Bedard. I certainly trust Celebrini to stick at center longer in the NHL.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Maybe the sharks can get the best of both worlds? compete for PO's without handing out big term?

Maybe the sharks hand out an army of slightly overpaid one year deals:
Duclair: 1 yr 4M.
patrick Kane: 1 yr, 4M
tyler Myers: 1 yr 7M
TJ Brodie: 1 yr 5M
Chris tanev: 1 yr 5M.
and.........
Joe Pavelski 1 yr 4M!!!

I don't love it per se, but the sharks do have to spend some 35M, so they have to sign somebody. Even if they dont give out big term, I would hope they can deploy all the cash and get good NHL players, who can make the team respectable.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Yes, his signings haven't been great, but he didn't have loads of cap space. Not saying he should use a big chunk of this cap space, but he can be smarter now. I think a lot of us would be happy bringing back Brenden Dillon, and maybe a cheap flyer on someone like John Klingberg.

At forward, I could see Grier interested in guys that would help form the identity of the Grier Sharks. Someone like Cal Clutterbuck on a one year deal feels like a Grier move. (And hell, bring Duke back. And/or Pavs if somehow the Stars let him hit free agency and he still wants to play. The fanbase would lose their minds if the team brought back Pavs to play with the prospects)
Clutterbuck is about done as a NHLer plus you’ve got players like him on the roster kinda of redundant. I like the idea of Duke coming back Dallas is up against the cap and Pavs lack of foot speed was real evident in the Vegas series so it’s possible the stars let him walk

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Maybe the sharks can get the best of both worlds? compete for PO's without handing out big term?

Maybe the sharks hand out an army of slightly overpaid one year deals:
Duclair: 1 yr 4M.
patrick Kane: 1 yr, 4M
tyler Myers: 1 yr 7M
TJ Brodie: 1 yr 5M
Chris tanev: 1 yr 5M.
and.........
Joe Pavelski 1 yr 4M!!!

I don't love it per se, but the sharks do have to spend some 35M, so they have to sign somebody. Even if they dont give out big term, I would hope they can deploy all the cash and get good NHL players, who can make the team respectable.
Don't start sprinting when you're only halfway through the marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad