GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
An insignificant amount which will come off the books before the Hertl retention. Insane to worry about that vs. improving the defense for next season and not saddling your new coach with a malcontent Vlasic as a result.
Like I said, if he’s malcontent to the point of it being a problem, then I’m in favor of a buyout. I just can’t make that judgement call. I certainly wouldn’t be sad to have seen the last of him in teal.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Under 35yo contract.

So, if he retires (walks away from game), misses out on balance of contract, zero cap hit.

If he LTIR retires, he'll get full $$ and Sharks can exceed cap by his cap hit for remaining years on deal.
Oh that's awesome news. Cooch should just hang em up then and live in LTIR. If the sharks get yet another 8M in cap relief this summer and for the next 4 years, its a massive difference. Hasso doesnt care about actual $$$. Hes shown that in the past. Give cooch his $$$ but add another top line forward or top pairing D.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Cap-wise, buying out Vlasic saves us $3.166,667 next year and $2,166,667 in 25-26, at the cost of an extra $1,333,333 in cap hit in 26-27 and 27-28.

We still get most of the cap hit for the next two years, when we might need help reaching the cap floor, but still save enough in cap that we can add a modest player. Then we lose roughly a Benning's worth of space for two years.

We also gain a roster spot, excise a worthless pylon, and dump a guy whose leadership is so highly thought of that he is the longest tenured player on the roster by more than three years, has played 1300 NHL games, is an Olympic gold medalist, and a former alternate captain... and yet we ignored him in favor of giving an "A" to Luke Kunin.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Like I said, if he’s malcontent to the point of it being a problem, then I’m in favor of a buyout. I just can’t make that judgement call. I certainly wouldn’t be sad to have seen the last of him in teal.
I dont think he's a malcontent. Quinn was a shitastic coach. He got fired after just two years for good reason. A good coach will know how to use pickles as a veteran leader and will get good play from him.

The issue with the buyout is that it would be 3.8, 4.8, then 1.3, 1.3.

It saves just 3.2, then 2.2, but then adds 1.3 for tow more years. The total savings is just under 3M and we will need the space next year and beyond more than this summer.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Oh that's awesome news. Cooch should just hang em up then and live in LTIR. If the sharks get yet another 8M in cap relief this summer and for the next 4 years, its a massive difference. Hasso doesnt care about actual $$$. Hes shown that in the past. Give cooch his $$$ but add another top line forward or top pairing D.
Couture has three years left on his deal. I do suspect he's done - he already wasn't a play driver, he looked awful in his short stint this year, and he apparently can't skate without winding up bedridden now. Even if healthy, I think the odds are he's no longer an NHL-quality player anymore, and I think the odds he is ever healthy enough to play again are below 50%.

We can't just wildly add, though - we must be cap compliant on opening day, including contracts to be moved to LTIR.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
We have plenty of cap space. Let's spend that 40M to get a bunch of good players in their 30's to pair with our teenage prospects to win some games so Sharks fans won't suffer another losing season again. Let's spend that 40M to get Karlsson, Meier, Thornton, Marleau, Burns, Hertl back and we'll win the cup.

No, we just got out of that nightmarish situation to free up that 40M. Having 40M in cap space doesn't mean you go all out to spend it on some old players while your only 1OA in franchise history is only 17 years old and will need time to be great.

Best case scenario is we will suck again next year enough to land a great D or Goalie prospect and round out our joke of a roster. The more of these great prospects we scoop up, the less we need to suck. But we're not there yet. Not even close to be a playoff team let alone a serious cup contender.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
We have plenty of cap space. Let's spend that 40M to get a bunch of good players in their 30's to pair with our teenage prospects to win some games so Sharks fans won't suffer another losing season again. Let's spend that 40M to get Karlsson, Meier, Thornton, Marleau, Burns, Hertl back and we'll win the cup.

No, we just got out of that nightmarish situation to free up that 40M. Having 40M in cap space doesn't mean you go all out to spend it on some old players while your only 1OA in franchise history is only 17 years old and will need time to be great.

Best case scenario is we will suck again next year enough to land a great D or Goalie prospect and round out our joke of a roster. The more of these great prospects we scoop up, the less we need to suck. But we're not there yet. Not even close to be a playoff team let alone a serious cup contender.
awwww, but I just got my allowance!!!??? Now, I cant spend it???

I think there are wise ways to spend it that wont hurt long term. Recognize, the sharks have a ton more space coming off next summer too... Grandlund (5M), Ruuta (~3M), Strum (2M), Blackwood (2.4M), Vanacek (3.4M).

Add in a potential pickles buyout, and they will have 10's of millions more next summer too.

I want Marchassault (7), Stephenson (5), and Guentzel(7), Along with Montour (5.5), Demelo (5.5), and Skjei(6). Thats a total of 36M. If cooch LTIR's, then wed still have 10M left over. MMMMmmmmm....

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
y5BYGQ.gif

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
BTW, on a side note, I am OK if the sharks take yet another forward at #14. Good D are hard to draft correctly. If another high end forward is there, Im cool with it. They can spend all cap space on a good veteran D corps and go with an army of young guns.

Also, the sharks had a huge run of success the last 20 years or so trading for top D rather than drafting them.

The forwards were much more homegrown; the top 9 forward point getters all time are patty, (jumbo), Pavs, cooch, hertl, (Nolan), Friesen, Meier, cheechoo. (7/9 drafted by sharks)

The top 4 D scorers all time are: (Burns), Vlasic, (Boyle), (karlsson).

As such, I dont mind adding 2 more clear NHL forwards this draft and having Mack, Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Edstrom, Eklund, Haltunnen, Lund, and another #14OA forward, not to mention Graf, Bordy, and Gushkin all 21 or younger. An abundance of forward riches is awesome! and allows the sharks to sign as UFA or trade for D.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Hopefully Grier is smart with all off this extra cap space, probably should prioritize a blue line leader from a cap strapped team along with snagging prospects maybe start slinging some offer sheets but he’ll probably do his standard sign a bunch of tweener NHL/ahl 3rd and 4th line forwards and 6 and 7 Dmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad