GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I agree. Buy Vlasic out. Acquire Orlov and Marchment as cap dumps for free or negligible cost, get the Rangers to attach picks to Goodrow, sign Matt Roy or a similar defenseman for 5.5x5, sign Will Carrier and Okposo or similar vet forwards.

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Marchment - Celebrini - Smith
Kostin - Sturm - Kunin
Carrier - Goodrow - Okposo
Zadina

Orlov - Roy
Ferraro - Benning
Thrun - Rutta
Mukhamadullin - Emberson

Blackwood
Vanecek

I think that team could be competitive and potentially in the playoff mix if Couture is somehow healthy.
Cant buyout pickles yet. Donest save enough. they also dont need more cap space this summer. The pickles buyout comes next year.

I think the sharks need more proven top vets up front. I want Marchassault. Vegas has no cap space, and he is the kind of guy who instantly walks into the room with street cred. He plays hard, physical and pots 40 and won a cup. I dont care if fans hate him, they will get over it very fast.

The D also needs more. Orlov played just 17mins/gm. the sharks are gunna need to add two D who can play big time minutes (23Min/gm minimum). Not sure orlov cuts it.

Either way, 40M is a ton of space, so grier has infinite flexibility to go shopping. I just realllllly hope, he doesnt throw good money at depth players like he has in the past.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Pretty sure all the Cap number crunchers have said we passed on our best time to buyout Vlasic. I think at this point, you ride out his contract, just two more seasons, 24-25 and 25-26. Even if you are in the camp of trying to assemble the best possible roster with cap space this summer, it would seem foolish at this point to buyout Vlasic.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Cant buyout pickles yet. Donest save enough. they also dont need more cap space this summer. The pickles buyout comes next year.

I think the sharks need more proven top vets up front. I want Marchassault. Vegas has no cap space, and he is the kind of guy who instantly walks into the room with street cred. He plays hard, physical and pots 40 and won a cup. I dont care if fans hate him, they will get over it very fast.

The D also needs more. Orlov played just 17mins/gm. the sharks are gunna need to add two D who can play big time minutes (23Min/gm minimum). Not sure orlov cuts it.

Either way, 40M is a ton of space, so grier has infinite flexibility to go shopping. I just realllllly hope, he doesnt throw good money at depth players like he has in the past.
Overing Marchassault a 2 year 16-18 million dollar contract would be a good idea imo. Gives a weapon on the PP for Celebrini and hurts Vegas since they can't match it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm all for using cap space wisely and improving the team (bringing back Brenden Dillon anyone?), and not necessarily tanking per se. After all, if we were going to tank again, we'd just have rode Quinn out on his contract. I'm guessing Grier will try to improve the team from last year.

But no elite UFA in his prime with no previous connection to the team has ever signed with the Sharks in franchise history. That probably only would change this offseason with a massive overpay on a seven year contract. The Sharks shouldn't be handing out that kind of contract now. The next Sharks to get that kind of long term high dollar contract should be, if all goes well, Smith and Celebrini.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Celebrini will pretty much guaranteed to play next year. I hope he'll score tons of beautiful goals with the Sharks still end up dead last again due to now D and no Goalie. If Grier is smart, he won't sign any old goalie this offseason and keep our goalies where they are to tank effectively next year.
Blackwood played damn good. If Sharks had average D he’d probably have gotten us another five wins on his own.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I was on the road for several hours. Somewhere around 3:45 I felt the earth tilt on its axis, which I assumed was something good happening.

Seriously though, WTF! I thought we weren’t allowed to have nice things?!

This result assuages all the pain of having to sit through the last couple of seasons!

I am 😁😁😁😁

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Pretty sure all the Cap number crunchers have said we passed on our best time to buyout Vlasic. I think at this point, you ride out his contract, just two more seasons, 24-25 and 25-26. Even if you are in the camp of trying to assemble the best possible roster with cap space this summer, it would seem foolish at this point to buyout Vlasic.
Vlasic was a part of why we ended up getting first overall so we did the right thing playing him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
We have plenty of cap space, there’s really no reason to buy out Vlasic unless his mere presence in the locker room is toxic. Which it could be, but none of us are qualified to make that call. Just bench him.
It saves $2.7 million in real money and opens up a roster and contract slot. We should absolutely buy him out. There's no downside to it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm waiting for Couture's retirement announcement. What happens if that happens financially? Would that be good news for the Sharks?
Under 35yo contract.

So, if he retires (walks away from game), misses out on balance of contract, zero cap hit.

If he LTIR retires, he'll get full $$ and Sharks can exceed cap by his cap hit for remaining years on deal.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I was under the impression that it would cause us to be paying for Vlasic longer than he is currently under contract. Is that not the case?
An insignificant amount which will come off the books before the Hertl retention. Insane to worry about that vs. improving the defense for next season and not saddling your new coach with a malcontent Vlasic as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad