Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m just not seeing what makes Levshunov a better prospect than Buium or Dickinson. I would take Parekh over Levushanov as well

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m just not seeing what makes Levshunov a better prospect than Buium or Dickinson. I would take Parekh over Levushanov as well
I don’t see it with Dickinson personally, and think he ends up going 6-10 range.

Buium I like a lot and could see going as early as 3…. I don’t think he’s as dynamic as other dmen in the draft, but he does make a lot of smart plays on both sides of the ice.

Levshunov skates well for his build, physical, strong, dynamic offensively…. And I think his flaws are decision making…. But I think a lot of that has to do with the way he’s gone through hockey belerus ushl college in a 3 year span…. I think it’ll look much better next year at Michigan state. With the way he is built + how he skates, and his physicality there is no reason why he can’t be impactful in the dzone. Personally for me he has the most room to become a true #1 in the draft

I think this draft is going to be all over the place as far opinions go…. If we all did mock drafts right now I feel like there is a small chance any of us have the same top 10

Reactions: forever1922

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's hard to make a prediction on who we take out of the defensemen. Buium is the typical Ducks defensemen. His 2 best skills are his skating and his hockey sense. That is pretty much the 2 things that the Ducks have notoriously looked for in defensemen.

Knowing PV he has to be attracted to the size of the 4 big guys.

If I could write a script for the draft it would be taking Demidov and then trading up to like 13 and taking Yakemchuk right before SJ can take them. It would make my day.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's hard to make a prediction on who we take out of the defensemen. Buium is the typical Ducks defensemen. His 2 best skills are his skating and his hockey sense. That is pretty much the 2 things that the Ducks have notoriously looked for in defensemen.

Knowing PV he has to be attracted to the size of the 4 big guys.

If I could write a script for the draft it would be taking Demidov and then trading up to like 13 and taking Yakemchuk right before SJ can take them. It would make my day.

I take levshunov

And trade up to 15 for 1 of MBN, iginla, greentree , sannecke

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t see it with Dickinson personally, and think he ends up going 6-10 range.

Buium I like a lot and could see going as early as 3…. I don’t think he’s as dynamic as other dmen in the draft, but he does make a lot of smart plays on both sides of the ice.

Levshunov skates well for his build, physical, strong, dynamic offensively…. And I think his flaws are decision making…. But I think a lot of that has to do with the way he’s gone through hockey belerus ushl college in a 3 year span…. I think it’ll look much better next year at Michigan state. With the way he is built + how he skates, and his physicality there is no reason why he can’t be impactful in the dzone. Personally for me he has the most room to become a true #1 in the draft

I think this draft is going to be all over the place as far opinions go…. If we all did mock drafts right now I feel like there is a small chance any of us have the same top 10
Interesting. Not sure what you don’t see with Dickinson. He’s huge, skates well, has a big shot, and makes good decisions. I don’t see how he’s not a top pairing guy in 5 years personally

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I don’t even see notable decision making flaws with Levshunov. At least nothing that can’t be fixed pretty easily. I’ve seen a couple breakdowns in the games I’ve watched but that’s going to happen as a freshmen in the NCAA while adapting to the NA game.

Still rather solidly my number 2, sans Demidov as I’m not convinced how likely it is the team will take him.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Silayev is interesting, very popular among NHL scouts it seems. I haven’t watched more than clips of his game and read what common criticisms are. Feels like he is being written off more in the public sphere and may likely go earlier than expected.

I can kinda see the Ducks picking him, at risk of contradicting my statement on Demidov in the previous post. I suppose the kit could just be tantalizing to the front office. And not so many eyes on him. Kinda like how Simashev went over Michkov.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The Levshunov decision making issues are overblown. THere was a video where a guy went over it and basically said it is a product of the team's system. Out of all the defensemen on the team he is actually the best and has the least turnovers when moving the puck up the ice in terms of efficiency.

The conclusion was that in a different system that doesn't value the high risk passes on breakouts as much he would not be having nearly as many turnovers.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

From Upside Hockey:
Levshunov is the "unicorn" scouts look for, with size, mobility, and elite IQ- he's a two-way player, and a complete package who is deployed in all situations, and eats minutes. He's a beast in the gym, and looks for any little edge he can find to make him a good pro, and he already has all the high-end tools to be an offensive weapon.

A non-deep dive on Lev

A deep dive on Lev (activation, activation, activation!)

Interesting. Not sure what you don’t see with Dickinson. He’s huge, skates well, has a big shot, and makes good decisions. I don’t see how he’s not a top pairing guy in 5 years personally

These two quotes of yours makes your scouting on the prospects very odd.

D-menMetrics2024 drafttop-12
PosPlayerLeagueHeight, FtHt, InchesWeightH:W ratio
LDSilayevRussian
6​
7​
211​
2.67​
RDYakemchukCHL/WHL
6​
2.75​
201​
2.69​
LDDickinsonCHL/OHL
6​
2.5​
199​
2.67​
RDLevNCAA
6​
2​
208​
2.81​
LDZeevNCAA
6​
0​
183​
2.54​
LDParekhCHL/OHL
6​
0​
179​
2.49​

Physically, Lev is ahead of everyone on this list with having the best height to weight ratio. Maybe Dickinson looks huge because he's playing in the CHL, which is a younger group set than the NCAA? Lev and Buium play in the NCAA.

Typically, two-way D-men with higher offensive skills rise to the top. Let us use Central Scouting Bureau (CSB) Final rankings (North America) as an example of player ratings. Dickinson is viewed as a two-way D whose offense isn't likely to translate well to the NHL level. Which is why Dickinson is rated below Lev, Buium, and Parekh. Yakemchuk is viewed as mostly offense and weak defense, which is why he's below everyone else.

CSB FinalNARankings
RankPosPlayer
1​
CCelebrini
2​
RDLev
3​
CLindstrom
4​
LDBuium
5​
LDParekh
6​
LWConnelly
7​
LDDickinson
8​
CCatton
9​
C/LWIginla
10​
CHage
11​
RDYakemchuk
12​
LWEiserman

For my preference with the Ducks is to have a more defensively inclined D-man. That is why I want RD Lev as my first choice and then Dickinson as my second choice. Yup, I'll take Dickinson over Buium and Parekh b/c Anaheim needs better talent at defending at ES and on the PK.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
From Upside Hockey:
Levshunov is the "unicorn" scouts look for, with size, mobility, and elite IQ- he's a two-way player, and a complete package who is deployed in all situations, and eats minutes. He's a beast in the gym, and looks for any little edge he can find to make him a good pro, and he already has all the high-end tools to be an offensive weapon.

A non-deep dive on Lev

A deep dive on Lev (activation, activation, activation!)

These two quotes of yours makes your scouting on the prospects very odd.

D-menMetrics2024 drafttop-12
PosPlayerLeagueHeight, FtHt, InchesWeightH:W ratio
LDSilayevRussian
6​
7​
211​
2.67​
RDYakemchukCHL/WHL
6​
2.75​
201​
2.69​
LDDickinsonCHL/OHL
6​
2.5​
199​
2.67​
RDLevNCAA
6​
2​
208​
2.81​
LDZeevNCAA
6​
0​
183​
2.54​
LDParekhCHL/OHL
6​
0​
179​
2.49​

Physically, Lev is ahead of everyone on this list with having the best height to weight ratio. Maybe Dickinson looks huge because he's playing in the CHL, which is a younger group set than the NCAA? Lev and Buium play in the NCAA.

Typically, two-way D-men with higher offensive skills rise to the top. Let us use Central Scouting Bureau (CSB) Final rankings (North America) as an example of player ratings. Dickinson is viewed as a two-way D whose offense isn't likely to translate well to the NHL level. Which is why Dickinson is rated below Lev, Buium, and Parekh. Yakemchuk is viewed as mostly offense and weak defense, which is why he's below everyone else.

CSB FinalNARankings
RankPosPlayer
1​
CCelebrini
2​
RDLev
3​
CLindstrom
4​
LDBuium
5​
LDParekh
6​
LWConnelly
7​
LDDickinson
8​
CCatton
9​
C/LWIginla
10​
CHage
11​
RDYakemchuk
12​
LWEiserman

For my preference with the Ducks is to have a more defensively inclined D-man. That is why I want RD Lev as my first choice and then Dickinson as my second choice. Yup, I'll take Dickinson over Buium and Parekh b/c Anaheim needs better talent at defending at ES and on the PK.

Height to weight ratio? What does that matter? Dickinson is 17 and will grow into his large(larger than Levshunov’s) frame. He’ll be 6’4 210 before he steps into the league. HockeyDB lists him at 6-3 204 right now

In terms of size he’s very similar to where Lindholm was when he was that age - Dickinson might even be slightly larger

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Silayev is interesting, very popular among NHL scouts it seems. I haven’t watched more than clips of his game and read what common criticisms are. Feels like he is being written off more in the public sphere and may likely go earlier than expected.

I can kinda see the Ducks picking him, at risk of contradicting my statement on Demidov in the previous post. I suppose the kit could just be tantalizing to the front office. And not so many eyes on him. Kinda like how Simashev went over Michkov.
And he's about the same height as Edvinsson(6'6) that Verbeek's front office in Detroit drafted.
If Yzerman is a genius he sure missed out on Wyatt Earp Johnston.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Height to weight ratio? What does that matter? Dickinson is 17 and will grow into his large(larger than Levshunov’s) frame. He’ll be 6’4 210 before he steps into the league. HockeyDB lists him at 6-3 204 right now

In terms of size he’s very similar to where Lindholm was when he was that age - Dickinson might even be slightly larger

H:W ratio means Dickinson is a even thinner than Lev. We're using who they are today b/c that the standard you've been using with measuring talent right?

Metrics from Central Scouting's Final ranking
Dickinson: 6'2.5 and 199 lbs
Lev: 6'2 and 208 lbs

Is Dickinson bigger than Lev? Dickinson is only a half-inch taller, but weighs 9 lbs less. Not much of a big difference, but Lev's carrying more mass, hence the H:W ratio to put their metrics to the same comparables b/c you keep citing Dickinson is huge and not realize he's just a half-inch taller and weighs 9 lbs less.

You're presuming Dickinson will grow 1.5" and gain 11 lbs before he steps into the league? You truly don't know if his growing is completed already. Yet, you're adamant that Lev can't improve his play b/c you feel Dickinson is better today? Why can't a person have the potential to grow physically and skillwise, instead of cherry picking ideas to make Dickinson look better? I think you can bank on skill improving more than height improving b/c genetics can be more rigid like that.

Lev lead his team in scoring and +/- before the NCAA tournament as a freshman and youngest D-man on the team. After the tourney, he's just 1 point behind the team leader in scoring, but still +7 better than next teammate in +/- with a team leading +27 rating.

Dickinson isn't the youngest player on the team nor on defense. He's playing in the same league for the past two seasons, a league where the age level is younger than the NCAA. Sam is 5th in team scoring with 70 points, but the highest scorer had 102 points to a forward who just turned 18 years old.

It appears that Lev is carrying his NCAA team at offense and defense, but Dickinson is carrying his OHL team defensively. Why would I pass up a defenseman who can bring more to the table; and that's before denoting that d-man is a Right shot.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
H:W ratio means Dickinson is a even thinner than Lev. We're using who they are today b/c that the standard you've been using with measuring talent right?

Metrics from Central Scouting's Final ranking
Dickinson: 6'2.5 and 199 lbs
Lev: 6'2 and 208 lbs

Is Dickinson bigger than Lev? Dickinson is only a half-inch taller, but weighs 9 lbs less. Not much of a big difference, but Lev's carrying more mass, hence the H:W ratio to put their metrics to the same comparables b/c you keep citing Dickinson is huge and not realize he's just a half-inch taller and weighs 9 lbs less.

You're presuming Dickinson will grow 1.5" and gain 11 lbs before he steps into the league? You truly don't know if his growing is completed already. Yet, you're adamant that Lev can't improve his play b/c you feel Dickinson is better today? Why can't a person have the potential to grow physically and skillwise, instead of cherry picking ideas to make Dickinson look better? I think you can bank on skill improving more than height improving b/c genetics can be more rigid like that.

Lev lead his team in scoring and +/- before the NCAA tournament as a freshman and youngest D-man on the team. After the tourney, he's just 1 point behind the team leader in scoring, but still +7 better than next teammate in +/- with a team leading +27 rating.

Dickinson isn't the youngest player on the team nor on defense. He's playing in the same league for the past two seasons, a league where the age level is younger than the NCAA. Sam is 5th in team scoring with 70 points, but the highest scorer had 102 points to a forward who just turned 18 years old.

It appears that Lev is carrying his NCAA team at offense and defense, but Dickinson is carrying his OHL team defensively. Why would I pass up a defenseman who can bring more to the table; and that's before denoting that d-man is a Right shot.
No, you can’t read. That’s NOT the standard I was using to measure talent lol

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lev, YakMcChuk and Buium beat Dicky in skill, the only thing Dicky has is he's marginally bigger than Lev and 3 inches taller than Buium.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
DraftPro simulator is up for 2024. Its a bit of fun and can see who other teams may take.

My first try won the lottery then traded the pick plus others to end up with:
#7 Dickinson
#12 Brandsegg-Nygard
#14 Yakemchuk
#20 Hage
#24 Chernyshov
#26 Parascak
#38 Badinka

If only we could trade like this with other teams haha.

Reactions: forever1922

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Anyone else here who's watching Demidov and notices Yegor Surin being just as impressive?

I think even a lot of NHL scouts face the same thing, he will rise A LOT by the draft, like from a 2nd/3rd rounder to a 1st rounder. That's how impressive he has been in the playoffs. He plays a very interesting, physical game when it comes to pros.

I wonder what it would take for the Ducks to draft a russian from a KHL org.

DraftPro simulator is up for 2024. Its a bit of fun and can see who other teams may take.

#7 Dickinson
#12 Brandsegg-Nygard
#14 Yakemchuk
#20 Hage
#24 Chernyshov
#26 Parascak
#38 Badinka

That's a haul. It looks like the Ducks once again like last year will end up with 3 very good prospects at the time of the draft along with another few projects who could end up making an impact.

Early on we get either the best forward of the rest or our pick as the best defenseman and still another very good couple of forwards or a shutdown D.

Here's what I got, straight up, I also tried to follow Ducks philosophy for the most part, no softies here.

#3 Demidov 5'11 LHW
#24 Sennecke 6'2 RHW
#35 Surin 6'1 LHW
#59 Emery 6'3 RHD
#66 Villeneuve 6'0 LHC
#68 Brunicke 6'3 RHD
#79 Kieron Walton 6'5 LHW

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Could there be anyone in the market and a team in a position for us to entertain realistically trading our top pick for some advanced young player/prospect?

It'd require a team to be comfortable to delay or start a rebuild tho, to take a pick. And for them to really like some player. So that's a slim chance but wondering if there might he anything out there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Could there be anyone in the market and a team in a position for us to entertain realistically trading our top pick for some advanced young player/prospect?

It'd require a team to be comfortable to delay or start a rebuild tho, to take a pick. And for them to really like some player. So that's a slim chance but wondering if there might he anything out there.

I think Montreal could be interested in moving up…. Maybe a team like Arizona/columbus…. I think some teams are going to really like silayev/Demidov or lindstrom and not want to take a chance of them being gone at their pick.

Columbus could use a legit 2c
Utah could want to generate some hype to get a guy they really want(plenty of picks to move around and get those guys)
Montreal needs a guy like lindstrom or Demidov in the draft

It’ll be more clear after the lottery tho

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I also have a feeling if levshunov is off the board we may be willing to move down to 7-12 spot and aim at yakemchuk/Dickinson/buium or jiricek

While adding other assets

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

#7 Dickinson
#12 Brandsegg-Nygard
#14 Yakemchuk
#20 Hage
#24 Chernyshov
#26 Parascak
#38 Badinka

The value for trading 1st overall is just hilarious. I traded it for San Jose for all of their picks and was able to have this draft:
Demidov
Lindstrom
Yakemchuk
Iginla
Badinka

I also have a feeling if levshunov is off the board we may be willing to move down to 7-12 spot and aim at yakemchuk/Dickinson/buium or jiricek

While adding other assets
I just don't see us moving back. Especially with the uncertainty of the top 15. If they have a guy they like I bet they take him even if it's at #3 and we theoretically could have gotten him 5-10.

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The value for trading 1st overall is just hilarious. I traded it for San Jose for all of their picks and was able to have this draft:
Demidov
Lindstrom
Yakemchuk
Iginla
Badinka

I just don't see us moving back. Especially with the uncertainty of the top 15. If they have a guy they like I bet they take him even if it's at #3 and we theoretically could have gotten him 5-10.

I think it depends on how many guys we like or how the tiers look…. If we have like 10 guys in tier 2…. Might be worth it.

This draft seems like a good one for a team that is confident with their scouts…. And more assets for potential trades

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Yeah. Why chance it, especially given how there's a free for all between picks 2 - 12. It only takes one team to screw you over if you trade down. You stay and you get your guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad