Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The lotto seemed to take an eternity to get to last year whereas this year it’s like “oh it’s tomorrow already.” No chance we get that pick but at least it won’t be as stressful.

To me winning the lotto would be more about keeping him away from Chicago or some other team that's really annoying. Last year if Bedard had only been comparable in talent to Fantilli/Carlsson instead of generational the lotto would have been far less interesting.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think SJ will win it or it'll be a team like ottawa/calgary/columbus with very minimal odds

Reactions: Kalv

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i can't imagine eiserman dropping below 8th. he could very well end up being a massive steal for someone if he does end up dropping that low

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Bob McKenzie's Draft Ranking, draft lottery edition is out.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Silayev
4. Levshunov
5. Lindstrom
6. Dickinson
7. Parekh
8. Buium
9. Helenius
10. Iginla
11. Catton
12. Yakemchuk
13. Eiserman
14. Sennecke
15. Connelly

Also, whichever of the mods updated the thread title, you had it wrong. The Draft Lottery is at 6:30 Eastern, so that'll be 3:30 Pacific.
As always, Bob's list is BY FAR the most important when it comes to predicting how the draft goes. Since he uses scouts and team execs you generally get a better feel for how the actual league feels about a player. It isn't always accurate obviously since it only takes 1 team to like a player. I think he had Perreault around 10 last year and he fell.

A few takeaways:
  • I think there is a good chance a team is in love with Silayev and could go #2. No chance he gets past Utah.
  • Demidov at 2. Even Michkov was at 5 behind the other studs last year. I really think he is the clear #2 this year.
  • Yakemchuk is ranked just low enough for the Ducks to take him at 4/5 and have people ask why we didn't trade back :sarcasm:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just hope whoever the Ducks scouts have ranked #2 lasts until our pick...

At least one scout and Bob himself see it as likely, from Bob's ranking article:

"As one scout put it, “Celebrini is going No. 1, but the next five or six teams [picking after No. 1] might all get the No. 2 prospect on their [respective] lists. There’s that much varied opinion [on the top prospects after Celebrini].”

The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion."

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
"Five scouts had Demidov as the No. 2 prospect behind Celebrini but five others — three for Levshunov and two for Silayev — saw it differently.

Six prospects got votes at No. 3 — Silayev (three); Demidov and Lindstrom (two each) and one apiece for Levshunov, Parekh and Helenius.

There were eight — eight! — prospects who got votes in the No. 4 slot — two each for Silayev and Lindstrom and one apiece for Demidov, Levshunov, Parekh, Dickinson, Buium and Yakemchuk.

And seven prospects garnered No. 5 votes — Levshunov (three); Lindstrom (two) and one apiece for Demidov, Dickinson, Sennecke and Yakemchuk."

Reactions: Vipers31 and lwvs84

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Bob's list is always the most informed and it's vindicating to see Silayev that early. Someone will take him well within the top 10 and likely top 5. Hopefully it's us, an elite defender is what we need most.

Maybe if they pick at 5, but I have a hard time seeing him as anything but a potentially great defender. I feel like we could get a guy later in the draft like EJ Emery to fill that role.

Demidov is worth the gamble at 5 for sure

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Bob's list is always the most informed and it's vindicating to see Silayev that early. Someone will take him well within the top 10 and likely top 5. Hopefully it's us, an elite defender is what we need most.
If by "elite" you mean a potential top pairing D with skill in all three zones then I agree.

i can't imagine eiserman dropping below 8th. he could very well end up being a massive steal for someone if he does end up dropping that low
The problem for the teams picking in the top 10 is that he could also be a massive bust. He and Parekh arguably have the highest ceilings but also the lowest floors of all the top 10-15 players.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Since Verbeek was with Detroit when they picked 6'6 Edvinsson in 2021 and 6'4 Seider I think they go with Silayev if he's there at their pick. They really could use one big powerhouse of a Dman to be the Ducks version of Hedman/Chara/Weber(Not saying he'll hit their ceiling but a #1D I think he'll become).

Kind of reminds me of how people didn't want Seider at #9 but he ends up going #6 and proves a lot of people wrong. That said Edvinsson is developing slower than Mintyukov but perhaps he's still getting used to his 6'6 frame as he was listed as only 6'4 at 2021 draft I thought and grew more after.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Since Verbeek was with Detroit when they picked 6'6 Edvinsson in 2021 and 6'4 Seider I think they go with Silayev if he's there at their pick. They really could use one big powerhouse of a Dman to be the Ducks version of Hedman/Chara/Weber(Not saying he'll hit their ceiling but a #1D I think he'll become).

Kind of reminds me of how people didn't want Seider at #9 but he ends up going #6 and proves a lot of people wrong. That said Edvinsson is developing slower than Mintyukov but perhaps he's still getting used to his 6'6 frame as he was listed as only 6'4 at 2021 draft I thought and grew more after.
I would have loved Seider in 19, but I didn't think we had a shot at Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, or Cozens.

Edvinson was on the top 5 in a lot of rankings, but 2021 was kinda like this year where after #2 it was wide open.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe if they pick at 5, but I have a hard time seeing him as anything but a potentially great defender. I feel like we could get a guy later in the draft like EJ Emery to fill that role.

Demidov is worth the gamble at 5 for sure

When I watch him, I think he's just tipping the iceberg of what he could be offensively. Will always likely be a defender first and foremost, but he can fly, has absolute howitzer shot and sneaky skill that he is just coming into.

Chara wasn't much of an offensive guy at a young age (22 points in 49 WHL games in his D+1), didn't have over 20 points until year three in the NHL or 40 points until year five. Just kept adding to that part of his game as he realized what a monster he was.

In the end, I honestly don't care if he's more than Lindholm level offensively, if he can become truly elite defensively and a physical monster. He can be a beast of a top pairing partner for Zell or Minty while "only" producing 20-30 points. But I really think there is a 100mph+ bomb that he'll start learning to love scoring with in time. This draft doesn't have surefire franchise talent after Celebrini, so give me the guy who suits our needs even on the low end of his potential, and has freak potential.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
really hoping we get a bounce for once and win the lotto. Itd solidify this rebuild
Yeah me too. I'm a believer that an excess of forwards can be leveraged to acquire defense later. Shutdown D aren't as high value though I know some people here dream that one of the defensemen in this draft will be some Lidstrom/Pronger-esque two way beasts but I don't see it. So long as Mintyukov, Zellweger and Luneau get to their potential, you can stabilize the defensive side of the puck in the trade market with excess forwards and I don't think it would be that hard. Celebrini would be a great get. Not Bedard level but he can easily be a very good top line guy.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah me too. I'm a believer that an excess of forwards can be leveraged to acquire defense later. Shutdown D aren't as high value though I know some people here dream that one of the defensemen in this draft will be some Lidstrom/Pronger-esque two way beasts but I don't see it. So long as Mintyukov, Zellweger and Luneau get to their potential, you can stabilize the defensive side of the puck in the trade market with excess forwards and I don't think it would be that hard. Celebrini would be a great get. Not Bedard level but he can easily be a very good top line guy.
Ill be very happy if we get Levshunov or Celebrini

Ill be chill if we get Demidov Catton or Yakemchuk

I wont be happy if we draft silayev/Dickinson/lindstrom

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When I watch him, I think he's just tipping the iceberg of what he could be offensively. Will always likely be a defender first and foremost, but he can fly, has absolute howitzer shot and sneaky skill that he is just coming into.

Chara wasn't much of an offensive guy at a young age (22 points in 49 WHL games in his D+1), didn't have over 20 points until year three in the NHL or 40 points until year five. Just kept adding to that part of his game as he realized what a monster he was.

In the end, I honestly don't care if he's more than Lindholm level offensively, if he can become truly elite defensively and a physical monster. He can be a beast of a top pairing partner for Zell or Minty while "only" producing 20-30 points. But I really think there is a 100mph+ bomb that he'll start learning to love scoring with in time. This draft doesn't have surefire franchise talent after Celebrini, so give me the guy who suits our needs even on the low end of his potential, and has freak potential.
In compare to Owen Power who's close to his size, Owen doesn't have the big bomb or mean streak of Silayev. I just wish he was already playing in NA, I imagine he would have destroyed the juniors or NCAA lol.

I just hope the Ducks get the Dman they really want. In hindsight it sounds like Murray/Madden really wanted Sanderson in 2020.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ill be very happy if we get Levshunov or Celebrini

Ill be chill if we get Demidov Catton or Yakemchuk

I wont be happy if we draft silayev/Dickinson/lindstrom
I'm just not as moved by Levshunov as you or some others. I get Griffin Reinhart vibes from him. But then again I'm not overly impressed by the crop of defensemen this year to begin with. Feels like a bunch of #2-3 guys with the outside shot of one of them exceeding expectations and being a Faber or Seider type.

But I'll admit I haven't tracked this draft quite as closely as last year's. This one just gave me a vibe of, if it's not first overall, it's the same shit picks 2-7. I'm intrigued by Demidov though. I just feel like there's always this stellar looking Russian and more times than not they don't replicate their success in the NHL.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm just not as moved by Levshunov as you or some others. I get Griffin Reinhart vibes from him. But then again I'm not overly impressed by the crop of defensemen this year to begin with. Feels like a bunch of #2-3 guys with the outside shot of one of them exceeding expectations and being a Faber or Seider type.

But I'll admit I haven't tracked this draft quite as closely as last year's. This one just gave me a vibe of, if it's not first overall, it's the same shit picks 2-7. I'm intrigued by Demidov though. I just feel like there's always this stellar looking Russian and more times than not they don't replicate their success in the NHL.
I assume by vibes.. you dont mean stylistically?

For me its all about how raw Levshunov is right now... and how quickly he learns and adapts at every level.

Hes got great size/athleticism/skating... and i think in time hell be a weapon in both ends of the ice.... i get a lot of the same feeling watching him as i did watching mintyukov prior to his draft.

Ill also give him extra points for being right handed dmen which seems to be 1 of the harder posistions to fill at NHL level.... and that hes an ideal fit for what we need.

Reactions: Deuce22

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I assume by vibes.. you dont mean stylistically?

For me its all about how raw Levshunov is right now... and how quickly he learns and adapts at every level.

Hes got great size/athleticism/skating... and i think in time hell be a weapon in both ends of the ice.... i get a lot of the same feeling watching him as i did watching mintyukov prior to his draft.

Ill also give him extra points for being right handed dmen which seems to be 1 of the harder posistions to fill at NHL level.... and that hes an ideal fit for what we need.
No I don't mean stylistically. Just a very similar feeling to what I felt in 2012 when it seemed to me like everyone was taking crazy pills with the praise for Reinhart who I felt was entirely unremarkable other than being physically mature for his age. I wouldn't even say it's the same issues with Lev necessarily and this time around I totally understand why he has some hype, such as it is behind him. I just get this vibe from what I've seen from him that he's going to be average in the NHL. Can't really explain it. Just a feeling. But again, I don't have sky high hopes for any of these defensemen. But I've been wrong plenty of times and can easily be wrong this year. Just a question of my own hype.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad