2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I watched him all year and I’m a big fan of his. I watched at least 20 Saginaw games before the playoffs and I’ve watched all their playoff games. I hate to say it but SSM & London dominated him physically. He put up some points and looked good on the PP but he was ragdolled a lot. He was targeted and he didn’t cope well. He even missed a few games. Lots of tantrums and bad body language and he really could not play his game the way he usually does. It was an eye opener for me.

He obviously will put on weight and get stronger and more mature. But the OHL isn’t exactly the biggest meanest league going.

Conversely I’ve been extremely impressed with the post season play of Buium, Dickinson, Iginla and Sennecke. All of whom I now have ahead of Parekh.

1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Buium
  4. Dickinson
  5. Levshunov
  6. Silayev
  7. Yakemchuk
  8. Lindstrom
  9. Iginla
  10. Sennecke
  11. Parekh
  12. Brandsegg-Nygard
  13. Catton
  14. Helenius
  15. Surin
  16. Chernyshov
  17. Luchanko
  18. Miettinen
  19. Eiserman
  20. Jiricek
  21. Basha
  22. T.Smith
  23. Pulkkinen
  24. Solberg
  25. Greentree
  26. Artamonov
  27. O’Reilly
  28. Hemming
  29. Hage
  30. Letourneau
  31. Boisvert
  32. Brunicke
^ this will change a lot. Especially after 20th.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I watched him all year and I’m a big fan of his. I watched at least 20 Saginaw games before the playoffs and I’ve watched all their playoff games. I hate to say it but SSM & London dominated him physically. He put up some points and looked good on the PP but he was ragdolled a lot. He was targeted and he didn’t cope well. He even missed a few games. Lots of tantrums and bad body language and he really could not play his game the way he usually does. It was an eye opener for me.

He obviously will put on weight and get stronger and more mature. But the OHL isn’t exactly the biggest meanest league going.

Conversely I’ve been extremely impressed with the post season play of Buium, Dickinson, Iginla and Sennecke. All of whom I now have ahead of Parekh.

1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Buium
  4. Dickinson
  5. Levshunov
  6. Silayev
  7. Yakemchuk
  8. Lindstrom
  9. Iginla
  10. Sennecke
  11. Parekh
  12. Brandsegg-Nygard
  13. Catton
  14. Helenius
  15. Surin
  16. Chernyshov
  17. Luchanko
  18. Miettinen
  19. Eiserman
  20. Jiricek
  21. Basha
  22. T.Smith
  23. Pulkkinen
  24. Solberg
  25. Greentree
  26. Artamonov
  27. O’Reilly
  28. Hemming
  29. Hage
  30. Letourneau
  31. Boisvert
  32. Brunicke
^ this will change a lot. Especially after 20th.
Mr @rt,

Not to blow too much smoke but...I sure enjoy your analyses. Appreciate ya taking the time.

rt

May 13, 2004
My gut tells me that Bill is set on drafting Silayev. I think he'd rather not gamble on him being available at 6 and will try hard to move up in the draft order.
You want to use how much draft capital to invest in a defenseman in a 3rd consecutive 1st round that can’t help the PP at any point?

29th overall, 6th overall, 6th overall, 38th overall, and a future pick is a hefty price to pay for Silayev, Simashev and Lamoureaux. You pay all that and still wonder where your No1 D and 1st pairing PP help is coming from.

BA & The Owskis like big defenders that can skate. Silayev qualifies and he could be there at 6th. No need to move up. Because if he doesn’t fall than another guy who qualifies in Levshunov will fall. And if he doesn’t, another guy who qualifies in Dickinson will fall.

Listen to The Bobfather, himself:

Beyond Celebrini, though?

Buckle up because it looks like it’s going to be an unpredictable ride.

As one scout put it, “Celebrini is going No. 1, but the next five or six teams [picking after No. 1] might all get the No. 2 prospect on their [respective] lists. There’s that much varied opinion [on the top prospects after Celebrini].”

The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You want to use how much draft capital to invest in a defenseman in a 3rd consecutive 1st round that can’t help the PP at any point?

29th overall, 6th overall, 6th overall, 38th overall, and a future pick is a hefty price to pay for Silayev, Simashev and Lamoureaux. You pay all that and still wonder where your No1 D and 1st pairing PP help is coming from.

BA & The Owskis like big defenders that can skate. Silayev qualifies and he could be there at 6th. No need to move up. Because if he doesn’t fall than another guy who qualifies in Levshunov will fall. And if he doesn’t, another guy who qualifies in Dickinson will fall.

i love the draft. This type of discussion is awesome.

He also drafted Cooley and Guenther.
and Robbi Fabri in St. Louis. Bill likes his skill guys as well. If he thinks a guy like Catton is a 1C don't be shocked.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

For starters, I'm not advocating for this move. I'd rather move up to ensure we can get Lindstrom.

Secondly, you've reached a conclusion on Silayev (and Simashev and Lamoureux) that hasn't been proven out. Silayev is the most productive draft eligible KHL D ever. His offensive output totally went dormant after a while. He stopped getting PP time. Yet he still gets to wear that crown til some other phenom comes along. He turned 18 at the end of the season and he's a work in progress. His leash will get longer and more opportunity will open up for him as he grows his game. I think it's very possible that he becomes an asset for a top NHL PP unit. Has he proven or disproven that yet? No, this is about projecting.

rt

May 13, 2004
For starters, I'm not advocating for this move. I'd rather move up to ensure we can get Lindstrom.
Just chatting. Shooting the breeze.
Secondly, you've reached a conclusion on Silayev (and Simashev and Lamoureux) that hasn't been proven out. Silayev is the most productive draft eligible KHL D ever.
Through 12 games. The rest of the season he produced nothing at all. In the KHL nor the MHL. Just like last season.
His offensive output totally went dormant after a while. He stopped getting PP time. Yet he still gets to wear that crown til some other phenom comes along. He turned 18 at the end of the season and he's a work in progress. His leash will get longer and more opportunity will open up for him as he grows his game. I think it's very possible that he becomes an asset for a top NHL PP unit. Has he proven or disproven that yet? No, this is about projecting.
I’ve watched him play at least 15-20 times. I don’t see a guy who transports the puck well, who stick handles well, or who makes great decisions with the puck. Off the puck, he’s phenomenal. On the puck, man he’s mediocre.

I still like the player. Him and Parekh are the some for me. I’ve got concerns. Kind of the exact opposite concerns. But they’re both boom/bust warty players that I want to rank around 10th overall. I’ve got them behind the other D at the top in their own bracket of red flag havers.

McKenzie’s poll made me put Silayevvhigher on my list than I want. But gotta trust the nHL guys.

rt

May 13, 2004
Silayev with the puck on his stick needs work. He’s 10/10 when he doesn’t have the puck. When he’s got it, he’s average at best. That’s where I struggle with him. How much better can he get with the puck? I guess it helps that he’s playing for a top notch program with a new age, progressive coach in Larionov that believes in develop youth. And may have some of the best puck skills in the history of professional hockey.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If BA & The Owskis like Silayev enough to take him 6th I’m going to be very excited to have him. I trust the staff. If they trade up, I’ll be a little disappointed.
trading up sets the bar higher but if that is their guy then that is their guy. They will be judged by that decision by how the player develops just like they will with the Simashev and But selections. Those were statement picks.

Now, sometimes the best move is to just take the next guy on your list. If that's Dickinson, Buium, or Yakemchuk then I still think we get a great player. Remember that BA was scouting Buium when he had to make the run up to Edmonton to deal with the Utah rumors.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I watch a lot of random games now that I bet on almost every game every day.

One thing that I thought killed Dallas last season was the fact that they didn't have a good mix of defensemen. It was very one dimensional. Lots of big bruising defensive defensemen and then Heiskanen. The emergency of Harley is huge. It helps the entire offense.

I fear Silayev + MavLam + Simashev would be a similar make up. I'd much rather have Dickinson or Yakemchuk over Silayev because of this.

All that being said I'd be thrilled to land Silayev. He's a true unicorn and just like Simashev, if the offense develops he would be one of the most sought after defensemen.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Silayev reminds me so much of Z. Great player and every team needs one. Top 6 draft slot for Z... Please no, just draft a future first pairing like Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I WANT TRADES!
Would it be worth it to trade up? The same question can be asked to trade back, who would be targeted and what player would be involved?
Anyone likely to slide to 6th?
They should bring in at least 2 new Ds during the draft week.

A lot of money available for free agency. Some teams may want to shed a contract or 2 before free agency starts. And I think a team like New Jersey will want to shake up their D (10th).

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004

One thing that I thought killed Dallas last season was the fact that they didn't have a good mix of defensemen. It was very one dimensional. Lots of big bruising defensive defensemen and then Heiskanen. The emergency of Harley is huge. It helps the entire offense.

I fear Silayev + MavLam + Simashev would be a similar make up. I'd much rather have Dickinson or Yakemchuk over Silayev because of this.

All that being said I'd be thrilled to land Silayev. He's a true unicorn and just like Simashev, if the offense develops he would be one of the most sought after defensemen.
I totally agree.

rt

May 13, 2004
I WANT TRADES!
Would it be worth it to trade up? The same question can be asked to trade back, who would be targeted and what player would be involved?

A lot of money available for free agency. Some teams may want to shed a contract or 2 before free agency starts. And I think a team like New Jersey will want to shake up their D (10th).
I’m ok with using most of our picks this draft and selecting right where they are. We can trade for a defenseman or two. But we have tons of draft capital to draw from the 25 & 26 drafts.

My wishlist:

6th:
Buium, Dickinson, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Silayev

38th:
Solberg, Pulkkinen, Smith, O’Reilly, Letourneau

49th:
Brunicke, Lavoie, Howe, Gill, Wetsch

63rd:
Thorpe, Marrelli, Misskey, Eliasson, Danford,

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017

You forgot about two offensive players that will most likely be on this team still in Kesselring and Durzi. Having big bruising D-man in the playoffs is how you win. I don't want them taking Parekh. You can't pass up on a Russian Unicorn like Silayev. This guy is BA's wet dream.

Silayev-Durzi
Simashev-MavLam
Moser - Kesselring

If things pan out that is a D-core with a great mix of skill, size, and toughness. Don't forget, MavLam has offensive potential. He put up 33 pts in 39 games in the Q this season.

Last edited:

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I WANT TRADES!

Who doesn't want trades? :D However, this year, the only trade from 6th that is worthwhile would be for Celebrini. San Jose won't do it, plus, it would cost a major fortune. I do think, there might be some team interested in trading up into the top 7 or 8, in order to get one of the upper-end prospects. Utah should not shop their pick. Keep it, preferably for D, and build the future. If other teams have good players that they can't afford anymore, then BA should look into it. No 1 year term players unless they come with extra draft picks.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m ok with using most of our picks this draft and selecting right where they are. We can trade for a defenseman or two. But we have tons of draft capital to draw from the 25 & 26 drafts.

My wishlist:

6th:
Buium, Dickinson, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Silayev

38th:
Solberg, Pulkkinen, Smith, O’Reilly, Letourneau

49th:
Brunicke, Lavoie, Howe, Gill, Wetsch

63rd:
Thorpe, Marrelli, Misskey, Eliasson, Danford,
Should mention these aren’t in order.

rt