2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BA hasn't drafted a player from the OHL during his time here. Last one for the yotes was Hayton in 2018.
Im looking foward to the combine in early June.
OHL went absolutely insane about COVID. I think there’s was a little stink left of a few draft classes. From all those kids not being allowed to play, practice or train for so long. That’s one of my theories. It’s not a worse league than the WHL or QMJHL. If anything it’s the best of the three. It’s gotten a lot wimpier than the Dub in the regular season. But it’s not less tough in the playoffs. And BA, himself, is a former OHLer. And the Blues had no issues drafting from the league. Pietrangelo who’s a crown jewel of that scouting staff was an OHLer.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think the OHL is generally over-drafted. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't pick OHL players, but it does suggest that it's rare to get a bargain there.

If But played OHL he would've been a top 5 prospect. Playing in Russia allowed Bill to pick him up at a slight bargain with the 12th pick. Our scouts are pretty good at finding bargains.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Anyone watching the U18 Gold Medal game right now?

USA up 3-2 going into 3rd period. USA all over them in the 2nd period

...and as Cole Eiserman said during 2nd intermission, "doing what Cole Eiserman does" - haha, I always find it funny when athletes refer to themselves in the 3rd person

I laughed so hard.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Anyone watching the U18 Gold Medal game right now?

USA up 3-2 going into 3rd period. USA all over them in the 2nd period

...and as Cole Eiserman said during 2nd intermission, "doing what Cole Eiserman does" - haha, I always find it funny when athletes refer to themselves in the 3rd person

I laughed so hard.
I am starting to think i want nothing to do with him.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Getting major Dan Fritsche, Robbie Schremp, Kirill Kabanov, Nikita Filatov, Josh Ho Sang vibes.

Wonder if this kid will bomb the combine interviews and drop to the late 20s.
I don't think he will fall beyond 12-16. The offence is so tempting.

I wouldn't touch him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
IMG_0815.jpeg

I had this hilarious result last night. Never even considered this. Utah won 2nd overall. Then Philly won 1st overall but due to 10 spot move up rule could go no further than 2nd, so dropped Utah down to 3rd.

Most Coyotes outcome possible. Finally secure the first top two pick ever, and then have it taken away immediately.

rt

May 13, 2004

Bob's poll ranking. No surprise Celebrini at number 1.
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5)
3. Silayev (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4)
4. Levshunov (2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5)
5. Lindstrom (3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5)
6. Dickinson (4, 5)
7. Parekh (3, 4)
8. Buium (4)
9. Helenius (3)
10. Iginla
11. Catton
12. Yakemchuk (4, 5)
13. Eiserman
14. Sennecke (5)
15. Connelly

The specific top five votes that McKenzie noted in the article are in parentheses).

He does say this:

Buckle up because it looks like it’s going to be an unpredictable ride.

As one scout put it, “Celebrini is going No. 1, but the next five or six teams [picking after No. 1] might all get the No. 2 prospect on their [respective] lists. There’s that much varied opinion [on the top prospects after Celebrini].”

The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
It does appear there is a Top 5 crystallizing.

For me personally, I’m ok with that. As much as I understand Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov and Lindstrom as a set top five, I have enough worries about Demidov (Russian factor - his club is not like Lokomotiv), Silayev (puck skills are barely average and he’s got a lot to round out), Levshunov (crazy tools, crazy inconsistent - reminds me of Conor Geekie as a D), and Lindstrom (plagued by back injuries already as a teenaged power forward?).

So it’s okay for me that there’s a small consensus top five forming and we’re outside of that consensus. I’m not worried about that. I like Zeev Buium and Sam Dickinson as much or more than most of those guys anyway.

It seems to me that we are VERY likely to get one of Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson or Buium. I’d be 100% satisfied with any one of those names.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
It does appear there is a Top 5 crystallizing.

For me personally, I’m ok with that. As much as I understand Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov and Lindstrom as a set top five, I have enough worries about Demidov (Russian factor - his club is not like Lokomotiv), Silayev (puck skills are barely average and he’s got a lot to round out), Levshunov (crazy tools, crazy inconsistent - reminds me of Conor Geekie as a D), and Lindstrom (plagued by back injuries already as a teenaged power forward?).

So it’s okay for me that there’s a small consensus top five forming and we’re outside of that consensus. I’m not worried about that. I like Zeev Buium and Sam Dickinson as much or more than most of those guys anyway.

It seems to me that we are VERY likely to get one of Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson or Buium. I’d be 100% satisfied with any one of those names.
So I can expect Iginla then?

rt

May 13, 2004
So I can expect Iginla then?
He’s 10th on Bob’s list. And he’s 10th on my list. So if we drop to 7th or 8th (or even stay at 6th) that’s far from a big reach. Doesn’t make a ton of sense from a positional perspective but if they think he’s a future 40g man, then they have to get the best asset.

They may decide to go with BPA (even a winger) in the 1st and then use all three 2nds on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad