2024 NHL Draft

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Don't forget - the U18 Worlds is in like 3-4 weeks.

That always has an impact on the final rankings and will always lead to a few guys shifting around, even in the first round.
Good point. BTW, I wonder if anyone has ever analyzed how guys who shoot up the rankings based on one tournament end up doing in the long run? My recollection, for example, is that Nino moved up to being a top 5 pick based mostly on one WJC?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Good point. BTW, I wonder if anyone has ever analyzed how guys who shoot up the rankings based on one tournament end up doing in the long run? My recollection, for example, is that Nino moved up to being a top 5 pick based mostly on one WJC?

Yes, Nino's WJC performance, particularly in helping the Swiss knock off Russia in that tourney, really put him on a platform. It was a key reason why he was the guy I DIDN'T want to see the Isles take at that juncture. I didn't mind him, but there just wasn't much of a sample size, even if his WHL season was pretty Ok as well.

As for the U18 Worlds, they rarely have an effect on who is going 1st or 2nd. That's often pretty much determined by this time of year. And those spots are often already held by Canadians, which is worth mentioning, because Team Canada traditionally cannot ice its best U18 eligibles because many are busy with the CHL playoffs that are going on simultaneously.en lets a few other Canadians step up a bit and perhaps enhance their mid-round status.

This said, it's a prime tournament for Europeans, and one that often sees Swedish and Finnish players boost their draft stock considerably. In addition, it's what USA hockey spends two years preparing each genearation of players for, so top performances like last spring usually solidify top 10 draft slots for a couple of those kids.

In addiition, the tourney often gives the scouting community the only real opportunity to see several Swiss, German, Latvian, Danisch, and Norwegian talents play at this level. Many of these players spend the winter playing in leagues that are not high quality, so the U18 Worlds alllows them to strut their stuff for one time, and basically one time only.

The U18 Worlds was also very valuable in placing Russian on display, who may have been scouted fairly little during the winter because many parts of the Russian landscape are off the beaten path.

That's a non-factor now though.

Reactions: doublechili

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The thing I like about Iginla is his development curve/age - he's an August birthday. Also really like how he cuts/changes direction/pivots to get open. He's got the stuff NYI goal scorer selections of the past (Wahlstrom, Dal Colle) lacked.

Reactions: SI90

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Yes, Nino's WJC performance, particularly in helping the Swiss knock off Russia in that tourney, really put him on a platform. It was a key reason why he was the guy I DIDN'T want to see the Isles take at that juncture. I didn't mind him, but there just wasn't much of a sample size, even if his WHL season was pretty Ok as well.

As for the U18 Worlds, they rarely have an effect on who is going 1st or 2nd. That's often pretty much determined by this time of year. And those spots are often already held by Canadians, which is worth mentioning, because Team Canada traditionally cannot ice its best U18 eligibles because many are busy with the CHL playoffs that are going on simultaneously.en lets a few other Canadians step up a bit and perhaps enhance their mid-round status.

This said, it's a prime tournament for Europeans, and one that often sees Swedish and Finnish players boost their draft stock considerably. In addition, it's what USA hockey spends two years preparing each genearation of players for, so top performances like last spring usually solidify top 10 draft slots for a couple of those kids.

In addiition, the tourney often gives the scouting community the only real opportunity to see several Swiss, German, Latvian, Danisch, and Norwegian talents play at this level. Many of these players spend the winter playing in leagues that are not high quality, so the U18 Worlds alllows them to strut their stuff for one time, and basically one time only.

The U18 Worlds was also very valuable in placing Russian on display, who may have been scouted fairly little during the winter because many parts of the Russian landscape are off the beaten path.

That's a non-factor now though.
He was moving up during the season. He had a good year in Portland and produced in the playoffs. I believed at the time we would wind up with Johansen on draft day btw. That Portland team had some really good players that year - two Swiss guys? The WJC definitely part of it but overall nothing to indicate he should not have been drafted where he was. Bertuzzi -eque development however. No reason to believe in retrospect he couldn't have been a cost controlled second line RW at least for 6 years.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He was moving up during the season. He had a good year in Portland and produced in the playoffs. I believed at the time we would wind up with Johansen on draft day btw. That Portland team had some really good players that year - two Swiss guys? The WJC definitely part of it but overall nothing to indicate he should not have been drafted where he was. Bertuzzi -eque development however. No reason to believe in retrospect he couldn't have been a cost controlled second line RW at least for 6 years.

No doubt about it, the way in which he was "brought along" was absolutely horrendous.

I mean, ultimately he was turned into Clutterbuck, who has been a long-time heart 'n soul Islander.

But that in no way "forgives" the organization for the ridiculous route they took with him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I remember Nino also went viral after the CHL top prospects game. He had that sick one handed top shelf goal. Not saying that helped his draft stock but his name was certainly buzzing that year. Hes also still in the league and has had a lot of solid season.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
No doubt about it, the way in which he was "brought along" was absolutely horrendous.

I mean, ultimately he was turned into Clutterbuck, who has been a long-time heart 'n soul Islander.

But that in no way "forgives" the organization for the ridiculous route they took with him.
Kind of interesting - RyJo, Nino and Bartschi had such a dominant 2011 campaign. They all struggled in some way to get over the NHL hump.

Who was scouting Switzerland for the WinterHawks back then btw?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Granted the Isles use the five picks they have, I'd think it would be a sound tactic to take the "safest" future NHLer wherever they're picking in Round 1 (i.e. take a player with a Farabee profile over a player with a Wahlstrom/Bellows profile), then use the 2nd rounder on one of the top overagers, of which there are a good handful. I can imagine a guy like Burnevik being high on their list. The 6'6" Jesse Pulkkinen is all the rage although I have my doubts. But hey, he's Finnish, so Kautonen surely knows all about him.

I'd also suggest using at least one of the later picks on another overager, although we don't really have to worry about the Isles doing that, as it seems to be their modi operandi anyways.

Lassila (FIN), Melovsky (CZE), Oswald (GER), and Hedqvist or Fransson (both SWE) would be some of my favorite suggestions for the later rounds.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Granted the Isles use the five picks they have, I'd think it would be a sound tactic to take the "safest" future NHLer wherever they're picking in Round 1
I can see it now - this will be the debate when we take a break from "rebuild vs. retool".

Do we go with a safe pick or a "difference maker"?

People who haven't posted here in 10 years will come out of the woodwork and criticize anyone they disagree with. Can't wait. :laugh:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I think Parekh is going top 5. Unless we find our way there via lottery/trade, don't see him as an Islander.

Anything is possible, but I would be shocked if he went top 5. He's in that 8-13 tier with Catton, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Buium, Iginla, etc.

I think if we stay 13 we'll probably just be picking whomever is leftover from that group. The choice will be made for us, really.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I can see it now - this will be the debate when we take a break from "rebuild vs. retool".

Do we go with a safe pick or a "difference maker"?

People who haven't posted here in 10 years will come out of the woodwork and criticize anyone they disagree with. Can't wait. :laugh:

Damn, you outed me . . .

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Anything is possible, but I would be shocked if he went top 5. He's in that 8-13 tier with Catton, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Buium, Iginla, etc.

I think if we stay 13 we'll probably just be picking whomever is leftover from that group. The choice will be made for us, really.

I think Catton goes top 5, maybe even top 2-3

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just barely an overager, you've gotta think this kid is a MUST draft pick for the Islanders:

I mean, how can they not take him?

Reactions: Konk and xECK29x

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just barely an overager, you've gotta think this kid is a MUST draft pick for the Islanders:

I mean, how can they not take him?
Long Island, Providence, and an overeager. It’s already written in the stars. Lol

Reactions: Konk and Kevin27NYI

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We’re on the clock, Catton and Iginla are bother available who are you taking?

Iginla is the safer pick but Catton looks like he could be a ridiculous player offensively.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Iginla is the safer pick but Catton looks like he could be a ridiculous player offensively.

Catton!

Not a doubt in my mind. I mean, if I'm making the pick.

I see a lot of reason to believe that this young man will be turning into a Sebastion Aho or Brayden Point one day.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I see one ranking that has a Russian defensive defenseman ranked #4 overall. Someone on this board says that no one takes defensive defensemen at #13 overall. That does not compute. :sarcasm:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Lou Lamoriello walking to draft day ready to trade that pick to the Habs or Coyotes for Maccelli or Savard

or conversely

Ledecky walking up to the stage getting ready to call Cole Eiserman's name out so Long Island can be proud

Catton

Reactions: SI90

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm with the doubters on Eiserman.

I don't think there's a chance NYI have any chance at Catton.

If I had to pick a top-3 group where NYI are projected to pick:

1. Buium (unlikely)
2. Iginla
3. Brandsegg-Nygard

I'm kind of joking with Buium. But both Iginla & Brandsegg-Nygard are also the kind of players NYI need - good mixes of speed or power with good hockey sense and enough skill. (If either had top skill they'd be in the top 5). Iginla has the speed/quickness advantage, Bransegg-Nygard has better size. But bother are the kind of player NYI needs. FTR I don't know anything about Helenius or Chernyshov. Reports on Chernyshov indicate he also fits the mold.

Starting to feel Iginla will be gone by the time NYI pick. Given age/development, I'd bet on his growth.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
EliteProspects just updated their rankings, and Iginla shot up from 13 to 6. Don't think he'll be available to us.

At the moment, it's like "Ok, who do you like now? Then hope it's a guy who won't be at the U18 Worlds, because if he isn't, he's likely to get jumped over a good bit by May. And thus, he inches closer down to where the Isles will be drafting."

But I'm not gonna spend much time thinking draft until we see if the Isles are in the playoffs.

What would really kind of suck would be to miss the playoffs AND be drafting 16th. That's like the true stamp of pure mediocrity when you're already one of the oldest teams in the league.

PS) If you're drafting 16-20 and you keep the pick and your organization simply lacks offensive skill over all else, then I'm thinking you've really gotta hope that Connelly is around at that point. In this day and age, it's actually possible he'll drop based on the social media posting thingy from several years ago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3