2024 NHL Draft

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The #1 candidate is probably trading the pick for a young forward a la the Romanov deal. Another possibility though is to trade down for a couple of picks. Use one for an 18 year old and another for an overager.

Reactions: Osakahaus and SI90

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The Wild ain't trading Rossi. Why would they? a 22 year old who scores 20 goals his rookie year?

And Ehlers is a nice player, but it's going to cost a 1st and a significant +. Not sure what that + might be that the Isles have.

And even if they acquire Ehlers - That doesn't make this team a Cup contender. Both the defense and the offense need to be addressed.
Money. The Wild are BROKE and have the buyouts of Parise and Suter still kicking them around

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Money. The Wild are BROKE and have the buyouts of Parise and Suter still kicking them around

Dude. Do just a modicum of research before you make such a claim. After next season the Parise/Suter dead cap hits go from 14.7M/year to 1.3M/year. It also just so happens that Rossi is on his ELC earning just 863K next season, and in 25-26 he is an RFA (not UFA)....When the Wild will have over $35,000,000 in cap space.

So to repeat...The Wild aren't trading a rookie 20-goal scorer with oodles of potential, especially when they will have zero cap issues signing him when his rookie contract is up.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Dude. Do just a modicum of research before you make such a claim. After next season the Parise/Suter dead cap hits go from 14.7M/year to 1.3M/year. It also just so happens that Rossi is on his ELC earning just 863K next season, and in 25-26 he is an RFA (not UFA)....When the Wild will have over $35,000,000 in cap space.

So to repeat...The Wild aren't trading a rookie 20-goal scorer with oodles of potential, especially when they will have zero cap issues signing him when his rookie contract is up.
The Wild need more cost controlled players not less.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Is there a scenario where the Isles could trade up from 18 in this draft?

How much would it cost us and is it worth it?
None whatsoever. What have they got to trade? Aging players signed forever and a bare cupboard? Nah, they'll deal that pick to get rid of a long term contract without getting anything in return.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is there a scenario where the Isles could trade up from 18 in this draft?

How much would it cost us and is it worth it?

NYI send Nelson, Odelius, and the 18th overall

to Minnesota for

13th overall, 45th overall, RW Ryan Hartman, C Riley Heidt, RFA D Simon Johansson, and RFA F Adam Beckman.

Hagens in an isles jersey would be amazing. It’ll never happen, but it’s nice seeing a local kid as the likely 1st overall pick next year. Long Island has some good players in the league these days.

Well, he won't be drafted by the Islanders.

But don't say he'll never wear an Islanders jersey.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Wild need more cost controlled players not less.

Only in 24-25...Where Rossi will count $863,333 against the cap.

He's an RFA in the summer of 2025...Where the Wild will have $35,000,000 in cap space.

He's not going to be a UFA for 5 more years.

Rossi is the very definition of a cost-controlled player.

#1 Reason why I doubt that the Wild CAN keep him

Can you make an argument that includes detailed facts that support that claim as opposed to just throwing out unfounded one-line opinions?

Sounds like you're just in love with Rossi, really want the Isles to get him, and as a result just concluded that the Wild cannot afford him - When they 100% can (see above).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Can you make an argument that includes detailed facts that support that claim as opposed to just throwing out unfounded one-line opinions?

Sounds like you're just in love with Rossi, really want the Isles to get him, and as a result just concluded that the Wild cannot afford him - When they 100% can (see above).
Sure

Minnesota has bigger and stronger centers in the pipeline that they might prefer over Rossi, and Rossi (despite being very solid), could be bumped out in favor of Ohgren or Yurov from what I have heard. remember, you can like a young player but nobody is committed to them if they cannot be a proven stud. Lets see what the Wild do at this point. Isles can offer a decent package for Rossi btw

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sure

Minnesota has bigger and stronger centers in the pipeline that they might prefer over Rossi, and Rossi (despite being very solid), could be bumped out in favor of Ohgren or Yurov from what I have heard. remember, you can like a young player but nobody is committed to them if they cannot be a proven stud. Lets see what the Wild do at this point. Isles can offer a decent package for Rossi btw

Appreciate the reply, but your argument to this point was the the Wild are "BROKE" and cannot afford Rossi...And hopefully based on the data I provided you see that is not the case. If anything Rossi is cost-controlled for the next 5 years so they would lean towards keeping him.

As for this new argument, Ohgren has played a total of 4 NHL games and Yurov may play another year in the KHL so not exactly like the Wild can count on them in the short term.

And I'd like to hear what you think the Isles could offer for Rossi - Especially since there's every incentive in the world for the Wild to keep a 22 year old cost controlled center who scored 20 goals in his first full season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
NYI send Nelson, Odelius, and the 18th overall

to Minnesota for

13th overall, 45th overall, RW Ryan Hartman, C Riley Heidt, RFA D Simon Johansson, and RFA F Adam Beckman.

Well, he won't be drafted by the Islanders.

But don't say he'll never wear an Islanders jersey.

Get a picture of him in Isles pajamas and hold it in reserve . . .

Love the trade idea, looks a little familiar . . . :)

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If someone like Tij Iginla falls that would be a nice option.

It would take Iginla being caught smoking weed the day before the Draft and the immediate over reaction for him to fall to us at #18. His stock seems to be soaring and the bloodlines factor increases his stock big time. If he makes it to Calgary, zero chance they pass on him. It would be unfair to the kid, but the hype train would be massive there if they did get him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Canes not expected to re-sign Necas. We’re obviously strapped but I wouldn’t mind having him over a few of our guys.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Canes not expected to re-sign Necas. We’re obviously strapped but I wouldn’t mind having him over a few of our guys.
Friedman said last year that Carolina had been poking around Pageau for some time. Maybe there’s a deal to be had there. Pageau, pick #18, and Holmstrom RFA rights for Necas? Then Necas signs 8x7M. Would probably require some additional maneuvering to make the cap work.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It would take Iginla being caught smoking weed the day before the Draft and the immediate over reaction for him to fall to us at #18. His stock seems to be soaring and the bloodlines factor increases his stock big time. If he makes it to Calgary, zero chance they pass on him. It would be unfair to the kid, but the hype train would be massive there if they did get him.
This was referring to if NYI traded up to 13.

Reactions: PWJunior

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Who do you draft at 13?

I think this is the type of draft like 2018 where you just see where the balls drop, like when Dobson (and unfortunately Wahlstrom) fell into our laps.

Pick #1 is clear and if Demidov wasn't Russian and hadn't gotten hurt in the playoffs, he'd prolly be the surefire #2.

But after that there are a whole bunch of good players who each bring something to the table.

In essence, I think 13 is about where Connelly will go, granted no-one cares about his social media issue in the past. He's incredibly skilled and is about the closest thing to another Barzal that I see in this draft.

But even if he'd be there, you've gotta see who has dropped outta the top ten and is there at that point.

Is a Parekh there? Is Catton there? Is Buium there?

Those are guys you shouldn't really say no to at that spot.

I think a Helenius could very well be there and he's one of those "Like, no duh" options who may not be sexy to some, but will prolly step right into the line-up within 2 years and go the same route as a Robert Thomas has in St. Louis. He's that good. One of the most pro ready players in the draft.

Or you may even have Cole Eiserman sitting there. Then the Isles are going to be in a dilemma. He's a pure goalscorer. He just set the USNTDP record for all-time goals. He entered the season looking like a top 3 candidate. He didn't take any real steps forward, but scored with reckless abandon, again. And at the U18 Worlds as well (9-1-10 in 7 games - looks a lot like Bellows at that one WJC 10 years ago). And then that's why you've got a problem... Can a team that got burned on Dal Colle, Bellows, and now Wahlstrom afford to grab yet another pure goalscoring one-trick pony???

Or is he actually another Caufield? A bigger one at that. Some out there say he certainly is.

I'd have to think that if the big names are gone, one of the best picks here would be the righty shot Dman from the WHL, Yakemchuk. Lots to like there. A Pulock type, perhaps.

But if there's anyone in this draft for me who looks like he could surprisingly wind up being the most dynamic player in 10 years time, it's a Russian kid named Yegor Surin. Just a dynamic and quick offensive weapon with lots of hop and creativity. He's 6'1", 192 pounds.

The scouting world knows of him. He's been making his way up the lists. He's the type of guy many may have ranked around 40, but wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him go 15-25.

So, if you're picking 13 and you realize he's the special one, maybe dropping back to 16 (STL) in order to add another 2nd and then taking him there would be some kind of savvy.

This all said, I can really see this Islander team being very interested in a center from the USHL named Michael Hage. Heading to Michigan, he's decently sized and brings a complete package up the middle.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think this is the type of draft like 2018 where you just see where the balls drop, like when Dobson (and unfortunately Wahlstrom) fell into our laps.

Pick #1 is clear and if Demidov wasn't Russian and hadn't gotten hurt in the playoffs, he'd prolly be the surefire #2.

But after that there are a whole bunch of good players who each bring something to the table.

In essence, I think 13 is about where Connelly will go, granted no-one cares about his social media issue in the past. He's incredibly skilled and is about the closest thing to another Barzal that I see in this draft.

But even if he'd be there, you've gotta see who has dropped outta the top ten and is there at that point.

Is a Parekh there? Is Catton there? Is Buium there?

Those are guys you shouldn't really say no to at that spot.

I think a Helenius could very well be there and he's one of those "Like, no duh" options who may not be sexy to some, but will prolly step right into the line-up within 2 years and go the same route as a Robert Thomas has in St. Louis. He's that good. One of the most pro ready players in the draft.

Or you may even have Cole Eiserman sitting there. Then the Isles are going to be in a dilemma. He's a pure goalscorer. He just set the USNTDP record for all-time goals. He entered the season looking like a top 3 candidate. He didn't take any real steps forward, but scored with reckless abandon, again. And at the U18 Worlds as well (9-1-10 in 7 games - looks a lot like Bellows at that one WJC 10 years ago). And then that's why you've got a problem... Can a team that got burned on Dal Colle, Bellows, and now Wahlstrom afford to grab yet another pure goalscoring one-trick pony???

Or is he actually another Caufield? A bigger one at that. Some out there say he certainly is.

I'd have to think that if the big names are gone, one of the best picks here would be the righty shot Dman from the WHL, Yakemchuk. Lots to like there. A Pulock type, perhaps.

But if there's anyone in this draft for me who looks like he could surprisingly wind up being the most dynamic player in 10 years time, it's a Russian kid named Yegor Surin. Just a dynamic and quick offensive weapon with lots of hop and creativity. He's 6'1", 192 pounds.

The scouting world knows of him. He's been making his way up the lists. He's the type of guy many may have ranked around 40, but wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him go 15-25.

So, if you're picking 13 and you realize he's the special one, maybe dropping back to 16 (STL) in order to add another 2nd and then taking him there would be some kind of savvy.

This all said, I can really see this Islander team being very interested in a center from the USHL named Michael Hage. Heading to Michigan, he's decently sized and brings a complete package up the middle.

Tankathon now has us taking Chernyshov at 18 and Shuravin at 50

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Tried the other simulator and traded down:

#24 - Sacha Boisvert C
#50 - Yegor Surion RW (Freij went 49th)
#66 - Kamil Bednarik C
#79 - Jesse Pulkinnen LD
#115 - Pavel Moysevich G
#147 - Alexis Bernier RD

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tried the other simulator and traded down:

#24 - Sacha Boisvert C
#50 - Yegor Surion RW (Freij went 49th)
#66 - Kamil Bednarik C
#79 - Jesse Pulkinnen LD
#115 - Pavel Moysevich G
#147 - Alexis Bernier RD
I love that you have Jesse Pulkinnen on there!!! I fell in love with him last year. I can’t believe he’s an overager and wasn’t drafted last year.
I may be higher on him than most but he reminds me of Hedman!! I know it doesn’t happen often with overagers but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

I’d do backflips if we ended up with in. Hes 6’6 solid 215lbs and can skate and move the puck. I think he has a good chance at least to become a solid pro!

@Chapin Landvogt what are your thoughts on Jesse Pulkinnen? Am I crazy for being so high on him?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Friedman said last year that Carolina had been poking around Pageau for some time. Maybe there’s a deal to be had there. Pageau, pick #18, and Holmstrom RFA rights for Necas? Then Necas signs 8x7M. Would probably require some additional maneuvering to make the cap work.
They sure as hell wouldnt want Pageau now, why think they would revisit that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad