2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
I hate to be the one to possibly burst everyone's bubble about the potential of drafting first overall and selecting Celerbrini. There is a very good possibility he doesn't sign with the Sharks, and possibly holds out.

My son plays on the same youth team as Macklin's younger brother, and if anyone has ever been around Rick Celebrini, Macklin's dad, you would hear how much he despises the Sharks organization.

Anyone within ear shot of him can confirm, but Rick feels like the Jr. Sharks ruined Macklin's development when he played for them in his 14u year. As soon as they could, they moved him onto another youth team. And which is also why Macklin's younger brother does not even play for the Jr. Sharks currently.

There is quite a bit of frustration among the Jr. Sharks that they can not develop higher end youth talent like the So. Cal teams can, so once there is a promising player in the system, they most of the time leave to another club.

This is where Rick's frustrations come from. It's honestly a shame as Rick does a TON for the youth hockey community in the area. But you never hear the Sharks promote anything he does, only the Warriors, because he works for them.

As random as this is, the person to thank for this might be Curtis Brown. Who used to run the Jr. Sharks for many many years, Unfortunately, the Jr. Sharks in his time running it never mad any head ground on development like the So. Cal rivals.

So like I said, I'd chamber any excitement of the Sharks winning the draft lottery, and expecting Celebrini to sign.

I actually find it quite comical at this point, that the Sharks emptied their cupboard to tank, so they could potentially land a generational talent, but can't because of Curtis Brown.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I hate to be the one to possibly burst everyone's bubble about the potential of drafting first overall and selecting Celerbrini. There is a very good possibility he doesn't sign with the Sharks, and possibly holds out.

My son plays on the same youth team as Macklin's younger brother, and if anyone has ever been around Rick Celebrini, Macklin's dad, you would hear how much he despises the Sharks organization.

Anyone within ear shot of him can confirm, but Rick feels like the Jr. Sharks ruined Macklin's development when he played for them in his 14u year. As soon as they could, they moved him onto another youth team. And which is also why Macklin's younger brother does not even play for the Jr. Sharks currently.

There is quite a bit of frustration among the Jr. Sharks that they can not develop higher end youth talent like the So. Cal teams can, so once there is a promising player in the system, they most of the time leave to another club.

This is where Rick's frustrations come from. It's honestly a shame as Rick does a TON for the youth hockey community in the area. But you never hear the Sharks promote anything he does, only the Warriors, because he works for them.

As random as this is, the person to thank for this might be Curtis Brown. Who used to run the Jr. Sharks for many many years, Unfortunately, the Jr. Sharks in his time running it never mad any head ground on development like the So. Cal rivals.

So like I said, I'd chamber any excitement of the Sharks winning the draft lottery, and expecting Celebrini to sign.

I actually find it quite comical at this point, that the Sharks emptied their cupboard to tank, so they could potentially land a generational talent, but can't because of Curtis Brown.
As a Jr Shark parent I agree with a good portion of this. Also Curtis is one of the biggest problems so hopefully there will be some positive change with Hannan taking over as we are already hearing about a plan and vision with is more than Curtis ever put forward.

With regards to Macklin there is almost no chance he holds out for 3 years. The amount of millions he would lose as a result of wasting 3 years of NHL earnings is just too much for him to walk away from. Especially when it’s an issue with the Jr Sharks and not the Sharks.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

You think a player would give up tens of millions of dollars by delaying his contract for 3 years because the Jr. Sharks weren't a good enough team for 13 year old Celebrini?

That literally makes no sense.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

Thanks for the insider info! Sucks Rick had a bad experience and I hope that if we're lucky enough to draft him this won't be a factor going forward

Last edited:

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for the insider info! Sucks he had a bad experience and I hope that if we're lucky enough to draft him this won't be a factor going forward
I mean doesn't even sound like a bad experience, they just aren't a good enough youth hockey organization for how good of a hockey player Macklin was. He left for Shattuck St. Mary's which is literally the best hockey college prep school in the country.

There were plenty of youth hockey club's with "Jr." in the name that weren't good enough for him, and I don't think he won't sign with any of the Sr. clubs if they win the lottery because of it.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I mean doesn't even sound like a bad experience, they just aren't a good enough youth hockey organization for how good of a hockey player Macklin was. He left for Shattuck St. Mary's which is literally the best hockey college prep school in the country.

There were plenty of youth hockey club's with "Jr." in the name that weren't good enough for him, and I don't think he won't sign with any of the Sr. clubs if they win the lottery because of it.
Right, but the insider info was that Rick hates the sharks and thinks they ruined his kids development, not that it was an amicable, drama free split when it became clear macklin was too good

(I've actually skated at Shattuck before --- our college club team used to buy ice time from them, was wild to see the program for a CA kid lol)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't know why people always contort themselves to devise the worst possible scenarios, regardless of likelihood.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Right, but the insider info was that Rick hates the sharks and thinks they ruined his kids development, not that it was an amicable, drama free split when it became clear macklin was too good

(I've actually skated at Shattuck before --- our college club team used to buy ice time from them, was wild to see the program for a CA kid lol)
The insider info was that Macklin's dad would rather have the younger brother playing for another team instead of the Jr. Sharks (I'm assuming it's the Jr. Kings). Sounds like the only drama is that there are better available options for youth hockey than the Jr. Sharks.

Reactions: Shark Finn

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The insider info was that Macklin's dad would rather have the younger brother playing for another team instead of the Jr. Sharks (I'm assuming it's the Jr. Kings). Sounds like the only drama is that there are better available options for youth hockey than the Jr. Sharks.
Hopefully true, but the OP made it sound more personal to my read . Who knows what the truth is, could be a passionate guy mad that the program could be so much more, or, could be a guy with a personal grudge against Curtis Brown and potentially other sharks higher ups.

Either way I think it's unlikely he holds out if we get him, that would be pretty insane even if the whole family hates the sharks org

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Hopefully true, but the OP made it sound more personal to my read . Who knows what the truth is, could be a passionate guy mad that the program could be so much more, or, could be a guy with a personal grudge against Curtis Brown and potentially other sharks higher ups.

Either way I think it's unlikely he holds out if we get him, that would be pretty insane even if the whole family hates the sharks org
The quote was " As soon as they could, they moved him onto another youth team", but what actually happened was Macklin went to prep school after his 14u season like both James Hagens and Cole Eiserman did in that same year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The quote was " As soon as they could, they moved him onto another youth team", but what actually happened was Macklin went to prep school after his 14u season like both James Hagens and Cole Eiserman did in that same year.
Right but there's also quotes which imply the potential for personal resentment like "Rick feels like the Jr. Sharks ruined Macklin's development"; "Rick does a TON for the youth hockey community in the area. But you never hear the Sharks promote anything he does"; and that the tank is useless "because of Curtis Brown" ['s mismanagement of the junior sharks, backed up by the following post] ...

I don't quite know what we're talking about -- the implication of potential personal resentment is clearly in the post, but there's no real way to know the truth, and it probably doesn't matter much in practice

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
As a Jr Shark parent I agree with a good portion of this. Also Curtis is one of the biggest problems so hopefully there will be some positive change with Hannan taking over as we are already hearing about a plan and vision with is more than Curtis ever put forward.

With regards to Macklin there is almost no chance he holds out for 3 years. The amount of millions he would lose as a result of wasting 3 years of NHL earnings is just too much for him to walk away from. Especially when it’s an issue with the Jr Sharks and not the Sharks.
Yeah, I’m not too worried about it. I suspect Grier is a very likable guy and won’t have a problem getting him to sign. I doubt the kid wants to ruin his reputation because his dad was upset at how a pretty underdeveloped jr team treated his development which obviously turned out great.

On my list of fears about the Sharks, this is my lowest but one I’ll hold on to if we don’t get the 1st round pick (“he wouldn’t have signed with us anyway! He hates Curtis Brown!”)

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
A player isn't going to sully his reputation like Lindros did, and lose out on millions, over a beef their parent has with not even Grier or the Bay Area, but a Jr. team

I'm glad you mention Grier as there are optics for Macklin to consider even if it's completely false.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Or Rick uses his newfound sway as an important hockey dad to revamp the Jr Sharks program and the Bay Area becomes a hockey hot spot that pumps talent into the UNDTP for the next 30 years.
Honestly this sounds more like what he wants.

I also don't disagree that the youth hockey programs in northern California haven't really been set up to develop NHL players. It's always felt more like glorified rec leagues to me which isn't bad, just not what some need.

The Sharks also struggle with their own player development......

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I would imagine the sharks will probably do their homework before actually drafting him.
Yes, totally agree. If, in the absolute nightmare scenario that we win the lotto and Macklin says he won't sign, we'll know before the draft and we'll likely trade 1OA for a haul, ideally a top 5 and more. It would not be ideal, and I don't think it's likely, but it's not going to go down that we make the pick, he won't sign, and somehow we don't get a whole lot out of it.

Sharks all but have #32 locked up. Pittsburgh at #9.

This kind of talk makes me nervous. Per Moneypuck you can infer that we have a ~80% chance at 32nd and a 20% chance for 31st. Chicago could still fail with a slightly harder SOS remaining. On the other side of it, Moneypuck projects PIT to finish 8th, but they're less than 2 points from 11th, so the finish between PIT, SEA, BUF, CGY will be close and every game between them (and the teams below) matters a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad