Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'd say that Helenius is more skilled than Nygard. He has also above average compete (it's a strength for Nygard too). Nygard might be a better skater, and of course he has more size.
Nygard is better shooter and more accurate passer.
On the other hand Helenius has better playmaking vision.
Nygard is better skater and faster skater - at least on the start. Helenius has good speed on the fly.
Helenius is better puckhandler.

So we cant name Helenius as more skilled than Nygard. Both have different adventages.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RD EJ Emery, US-NTDP

Is there a more underrated player for the 2024 draft than EJ Emery? Some people just seem to lack any understanding whatsoever as to what makes a good NHL defenseman. I've seen multiple rankings of him in the 3rd round, but to me he probably belongs in the top 20 overall.

EJ Emery is 6'3-185, an extremely good skater and probably the best defender against the rush in the entire 2024 class. He's physical as hell and there is no defenseman available with a superior compete level than this almost supernaturally tenacious player. He's smart and advanced in his reads and positioning. He's nearly impossible to beat one-on-one, both in space and in tight. He is -- by a wide margin -- the best defenseman for the 2023-24 US-NTDP, which is the best hockey development program in existence right now. How do people rank 60+ players ahead of this guy?

Though EJ Emery will never be on an NHL top PP unit, he's actually quite good with the puck. His outlet passing is terrific -- always smart and accurate. His shooting and puck-handling both grade as above-average, though neither is exceptional. In the offensive zone, he always prefers the safe play to risk taking. This is at least partially attributable to the fact his normal pairing was with Cole Hutson -- the best and biggest-risk-taking offensive defenseman on the US-NTDP. Emery was given a role as the shut-down guy on the team's top pairing, and he absolutely was A+ across the board in his assigned role.

Emery's long reach, incredible strength and high-end skating agility combined with his high IQ and anticipation for the game allows him to be an absolute force in the defensive zone, seemingly clogging up an entire side of the ice single-handedly. If his defense frustrates the opposition into a hesitation, much less a mistake, he immediately identifies it and closes the gap quickly and -- as stated -- no one is beating him one on one.

It is my firm belief that anyone ranking Emery outside the top 35 picks has not watched this kid play and is giving too much credence to his 0-goal,16-assist stat line. Does he have offensive upside? Certainly not high end, but this is a player who was told his role was shutting down the opposition, paired with a kid in Hutson who essentially plays LD like a 4th forward. His always-smart passing, speed and above-average puck skills certainly indicate Emery as a player who can contribute offensively to a lesser degree, much like a Jake Slavin or Adam Larsson-type.

When going back through the history of US-NTDP defensemen, there are several players whose worth to their teams were understated by analytically-obsessed draftniks who preferred Ryan Merkley to K'andre Miller or Grans to Faber or Broberg to Seider or anyone to Jake Sanderson. Will they learn from their repeated mistakes. Hopefully, when EJ Emery becomes one of the best shut-down defenders in the NHL they'll get it. Hopefully. But right now? I would say he is worth a top 20 pick, and it's a crime against the very sport of hockey if he falls out of the 1st round.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I would be surprised if Helenius is off the board by the time we pick at 10OA. I keep seeing him in that 10-13 range.

@StevenToddIves Sorry- meant to quote your reply to my original comment here.

It seems most draft pundits are underselling Helenius in that case (maybe because he isn’t the sexiest pick?). I have not seen many mocks with him in the top 10. You and @Guadana do raise a very valid point though that centers are coveted. Here’s how I see it- if Helenius does go top 9, there’s a decent possibility that one of the LD fall (more likely Buium than Dickinson). There’s going to be a great prospect available to us at 10OA. It’s not a bad draft spot to be at all.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves Sorry- meant to quote your reply to my original comment here.

It seems most draft pundits are underselling Helenius in that case (maybe because he isn’t the sexiest pick?). I have not seen many mocks with him in the top 10. You and @Guadana do raise a very valid point though that centers are coveted. Here’s how I see it- if Helenius does go top 9, there’s a decent possibility that one of the LD fall (more likely Buium than Dickinson). There’s going to be a great prospect available to us at 10OA. It’s not a bad draft spot to be at all.
Like I said, there are many players I'd be thrilled with at #10 -- Buium, Dickinson, Helenius, Brandsegg-Nygard, Chernyshov, Iginla. One or more of them will certainly be there at #10.

I think we can all be pretty certain NJ is not taking a RD, so we can probably scratch Parekh and Yakemchuk off the list, which is a-ok by me since they both have several concerns for me as a prospect analyst.

So the best hope is that both those RDs go off the board in the top 9, which is quite possible.

I'd also rather not take Eiserman, Sennecke or Catton. Eiserman has enormous upside but a ton of questions, Sennecke has great upside but too many questions for #10 overall, and Catton does not fill any of the Devils' biggest needs at forward, which are more speed and interior play, and of course more center depth.

Here's a new mini-mock, just for the heck of it, with Helenius going in the top 9 for the sake of argument:

1 SJ C Celebrini
2 CHI W Demidov
3 ANH C Lindstrom
4 CLB RD Levshunov
5 MTL C Helenius
6 ARI LD Silayev
7 OTT RD Yakemchuk
8 SEA LD Dickinson
9 CGY LW Iginla
10 NJ LD Buium
11 BUF RD Parekh
12 PHI LW Eiserman
13 MIN LW Catton
14 SJ RD Jiricek
15 DET RW Brandsegg-Nygard
16 STL RW Sennecke
17 WSH RW Chernyshov
18 NYI C Hage
19 VEG RW Greentree
20 CHI RD Emery
21 LAK C Boisvert
22 NSH RD Elick
23 TOR RW Hemming
24 MTL RW Ritchie

In this particular scenario, both RD (Parekh, Yakemchuk) go top 9, which is entirely possible and -- as per your question -- Helenius also goes top 9. To me, this scenario would give NJ a shot at one of Buium/Dickinson unless Calgary went with need over emotion and passed on Iginla for a LD.

Were that the scenario? I'd say the Devils pick would logically be a choice between Brandsegg-Nygard and Iginla.

However, my favorite thing about this mock is the possibility of Eiserman playing for Tortorella. My word -- can you imagine? A match made in hell.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

LD Cole Hutson, US-NTDP

Some of the assessments you'll find on Cole Hutson describe him almost as a younger version of his brother Lane, a 2022 62nd overall pick by Montreal. Such assessments are patently inaccurate. Though they are both undersized (Cole is 5'10-175) offensively-oriented LD, I'd say the similarities often end there.

I'd say their biggest similarities as players is that they both share a couple of unique and elite abilities -- identifying and finding open ice, and incredible passing vision. Like his older brother, Cole is as good as zone entries as you will see from a draft-eligible defenseman. If you focus on him? He'll pair open a lane and zip a perfect entry pass. If you focus on clogging the passing lanes? He'll identify and get to the open ice and manipulate a seam to get the puck into a high-danger scoring area. This is Cole Hutson's bread and butter.

In other areas, Cole lags behind his older brother. Lane is not an elite skater in terms of speed, but his edge work and multi-directional agility are both elite. Cole is an average skater in every sense, except perhaps edge-work, where he can really dance around with the puck. Cole has trouble changing gears, he's not explosive and has difficulty skating backwards.

Lane is also an elite-level stickhandler, whereas Cole is maybe just above average in this respect. This is troubling and confounding in the relative ease with he can be knocked off the puck or off-balance altogether.

As a complete offensive package, Cole Hutson excels against weaker defensive competition but struggles a bit against stronger opposition, which will only be complicated as he hits higher levels. He'll always be a weapon in space and on the power play, but I have concerns on his abilities to consistently produce offense 5-on-5.

Cole Hutson's defensive game is limited, but not for lack of effort or IQ, both of which are very strong with him. But a coach needs to pair him with a strong defensive partner, because he's simply not able to win crease or board battles with any reliability. His positioning and gaps are sound and he works hard, but you might not see him in the last 5 minutes of a game with his team nursing a one-goal lead.

Ultimately, I have time for any player with any elite abilities and Cole Hutson has two of them in his offensive awareness and his passing vision and acumen. Despite this, I worry about the limits in his strength, skating and overall athleticism and can't say with any conviction this is a player I would seriously consider in the first 3 or 4 rounds of the NHL draft.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
2024 Draft Profile:

LD Cole Hutson, US-NTDP

Some of the assessments you'll find on Cole Hutson describe him almost as a younger version of his brother Lane, a 2022 62nd overall pick by Montreal. Such assessments are patently inaccurate. Though they are both undersized (Cole is 5'10-175) offensively-oriented LD, I'd say the similarities often end there.

I'd say their biggest similarities as players is that they both share a couple of unique and elite abilities -- identifying and finding open ice, and incredible passing vision. Like his older brother, Cole is as good as zone entries as you will see from a draft-eligible defenseman. If you focus on him? He'll pair open a lane and zip a perfect entry pass. If you focus on clogging the passing lanes? He'll identify and get to the open ice and manipulate a seam to get the puck into a high-danger scoring area. This is Cole Hutson's bread and butter.

In other areas, Cole lags behind his older brother. Lane is not an elite skater in terms of speed, but his edge work and multi-directional agility are both elite. Cole is an average skater in every sense, except perhaps edge-work, where he can really dance around with the puck. Cole has trouble changing gears, he's not explosive and has difficulty skating backwards.

Lane is also an elite-level stickhandler, whereas Cole is maybe just above average in this respect. This is troubling and confounding in the relative ease with he can be knocked off the puck or off-balance altogether.

As a complete offensive package, Cole Hutson excels against weaker defensive competition but struggles a bit against stronger opposition, which will only be complicated as he hits higher levels. He'll always be a weapon in space and on the power play, but I have concerns on his abilities to consistently produce offense 5-on-5.

Cole Hutson's defensive game is limited, but not for lack of effort or IQ, both of which are very strong with him. But a coach needs to pair him with a strong defensive partner, because he's simply not able to win crease or board battles with any reliability. His positioning and gaps are sound and he works hard, but you might not see him in the last 5 minutes of a game with his team nursing a one-goal lead.

Ultimately, I have time for any player with any elite abilities and Cole Hutson has two of them in his offensive awareness and his passing vision and acumen. Despite this, I worry about the limits in his strength, skating and overall athleticism and can't say with any conviction this is a player I would seriously consider in the first 3 or 4 rounds of the NHL draft.
People said the same things about Lane and yet he’d easily go earlier than first in any redraft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

LD Will Skahan, US-NTDP

In today's edition of Nothing Not To Like Here But Don't Expect Too Much More Than That we have 6'4-210, physical shut-down grizzly bear Will Skahan. As can be expected, he succeeded in his role all year long of being paired by the US-NTDP with a more offensive RD and acting as the hang-back, defense-first stalwart.

Skahan is not just strong, he's unbelievably strong. Playing as a 17 year old against 22 and 23 year old NCAA-ers, it was almost amazing how routinely and easily he would just throw opposing opponents around the ice as if they were human piñatas. He is the lord of the crease and the corners, plain and simple.

Skahan is not just a physical defenseman, which is why I think he's a terrific pick as soon as the early 2nd round. He's quite cerebral and his processing of the game, extremely off the puck, is outstanding. He is advanced positionally and very good at identifying and closing passing lanes with an active stick, a sharp hockey-mind and a whole lot of effort. He's just a perpetual safety valve on the back line when you combine his ferocity with his intelligence and maturity.

Perhaps most importantly, Skahan is a very good skater. His balance is phenomenal, and his mobility and 4-way directional ability are actually superior to many offensive minded defensemen in the NCAA and USHL. His mix of speed and strength make him downright intimidating to play against.

Skahan's limitations are with the puck. Though his passing game is safe and smart, he's not very creative and knows it, often just chipping the puck up the boards instead of waiting a split second longer for a passing lane to open. He's not bad at puck-handling, but it's not a particular strength either. Skahan has a very hard shot, but no one really knows where it's going until it gets there. You're obviously not hoping for Cale Makar when you draft him, you're hoping for Brenden Dillon.

In my mind, this is certainly worth a pick in the early 2nd round. Will Skahan is a physical monster who is *good enough* when he has the puck and downright frightening for the opposition when he does not. When you combine that with good skating skills and a high level of hockey intelligence, that's a player you want on your team.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
People said the same things about Lane and yet he’d easily go earlier than first in any redraft.
This is precisely why I compared Cole to Lane. Lane is an exceptional stickhandler, Cole is average. Lane is a far superior skater to Cole.

I had Lane as a mid-2nd round pick in 2022, and he went a bit later at #62 overall. In a re-draft, I'd probably slot him up to the 20s. But again, Lane was far better than Cole at the same point in their amateur careers.

My3Sons

Sponsor
This is precisely why I compared Cole to Lane. Lane is an exceptional stickhandler, Cole is average. Lane is a far superior skater to Cole.

I had Lane as a mid-2nd round pick in 2022, and he went a bit later at #62 overall. In a re-draft, I'd probably slot him up to the 20s. But again, Lane was far better than Cole at the same point in their amateur careers.
What’s interesting is that some people criticized Lane’s skating but he looked pretty good in his late season cameo. Montreal picked Xhekaj’s brother and I have no doubt they will pick Cole.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What’s interesting is that some people criticized Lane’s skating but he looked pretty good in his late season cameo. Montreal picked Xhekaj’s brother and I have no doubt they will pick Cole.
With Lane Hutson -- and I actually remember writing about this precisely -- he had outstanding edges, agility and 4-way mobility, he just lacked the elite top speeds many would prefer in an undersized, offensive defenseman.

Cole Hutson's speed is a bit lower, his edges are what I would call "above average to good", his mobility is okay. He would be considered a "pretty good" skater if he were a 6'5-230 defensive stalwart. For a 5'10-175 offensive defenseman, the skating is well below average.

Quite simply, there are two aspects of Cole's game which compare to Lane -- his elite ability to identify open ice and process the game offensively, and his elite passing game. Every other aspect, Lane is slightly better to much better than Cole.

I feel Cole Hutson certainly has a shot to make the NHL, based on the elite passing vision and creativity, his smarts and his work ethic. However, the fact people are ranking him in the first round is just a huge stretch of the imagination.

My3Sons

Sponsor
With Lane Hutson -- and I actually remember writing about this precisely -- he had outstanding edges, agility and 4-way mobility, he just lacked the elite top speeds many would prefer in an undersized, offensive defenseman.

Cole Hutson's speed is a bit lower, his edges are what I would call "above average to good", his mobility is okay. He would be considered a "pretty good" skater if he were a 6'5-230 defensive stalwart. For a 5'10-175 offensive defenseman, the skating is well below average.

Quite simply, there are two aspects of Cole's game which compare to Lane -- his elite ability to identify open ice and process the game offensively, and his elite passing game. Every other aspect, Lane is slightly better to much better than Cole.

I feel Cole Hutson certainly has a shot to make the NHL, based on the elite passing vision and creativity, his smarts and his work ethic. However, the fact people are ranking him in the first round is just a huge stretch of the imagination.
I think there is an element of comfort that a brother brings to the prospect. Looking at Cole you can squint real hard and tell yourself that Lane overcame the odds and he was smaller in his draft year. That probably helps gloss over some flaws for Cole and maybe bumps him up a round. But as always I trust you and @Guadana when describing defenders and I’ll be curious who bites on Cole. I still think Montreal likely takes him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think there is an element of comfort that a brother brings to the prospect. Looking at Cole you can squint real hard and tell yourself that Lane overcame the odds and he was smaller in his draft year. That probably helps gloss over some flaws for Cole and maybe bumps him up a round. But as always I trust you and @Guadana when describing defenders and I’ll be curious who bites on Cole. I still think Montreal likely takes him.
I don't think Montreal will take Cole Hutson. It's not like Jack and Luke Hughes. The Hughes brothers are both potential franchise-caliber players. Neither of the Hutson brothers are near that type of description. But again, we shall see.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Both are defensemen of the same type. It’s putting eggs in the same basket.
But it’s not like I’m a fan of mtl management, may be they will try to maximize their chances on the Hutsons family.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Both are defensemen of the same type. It’s putting eggs in the same basket.
But it’s not like I’m a fan of mtl management, may be they will try to maximize their chances on the Hutsons family.
Xekhaj is a nice story but he’s probably not more than a third pair defender. They still took his brother.

Reactions: Guadana

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Lane Hutson is in a good place. Habs have nothing close to him offensively so he'll comfortably slot into pp#1 and all the important OZone starts. The biggest thing holding back offensive Dmen is the over saturation of the position compared to the limited spots available in the NHL.

Guys like Shattenkirk, Gostisbehere, Barrie, Klingberg, DeAngelo, etc. were all highly regarded until they lost their role on the team. All of them became replacement level immediately.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How about that Stian Solberg.

IMG_6664.jpeg

Edit: new version of that tweet.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How about that Stian Solberg.

View attachment 868429

Funny you mention him. I have 11 more defensemen to go on my immediate write-up list and Solberg is on that list. I want to watch him more before getting into detail, but for me he's a late 1st/early 2nd bubble guy who, if he falls to the 3rd is an absolute steal. Skating, physicality and defense are all very good, but I feel the fact he plays in seldom-scouted Norway could drop him come draft day.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Lane Hutson is in a good place. Habs have nothing close to him offensively so he'll comfortably slot into pp#1 and all the important OZone starts. The biggest thing holding back offensive Dmen is the over saturation of the position compared to the limited spots available in the NHL.

Guys like Shattenkirk, Gostisbehere, Barrie, Klingberg, DeAngelo, etc. were all highly regarded until they lost their role on the team. All of them became replacement level immediately.
I actually like Hutson more than I ever liked any of the other names on your list, but you're absolutely right.

Reactions: My3Sons

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Funny you mention him. I have 11 more defensemen to go on my immediate write-up list and Solberg is on that list. I want to watch him more before getting into detail, but for me he's a late 1st/early 2nd bubble guy who, if he falls to the 3rd is an absolute steal. Skating, physicality and defense are all very good, but I feel the fact he plays in seldom-scouted Norway could drop him come draft day.
i would give anything for solberg to make it to our 3rd rounder, what a perfect bottom pair option hed be. i have had this kid toward the end of my 1st round almost all year

for anyone who hasnt watched him before, hes a straight up bully on the ice, anyone who goes near this kid gets crunched. absolute nightmare for opposing forwards to have to battle him for space around the crease, hes out to punish them. but, unlike a gabriel eliasson whose entire purpose is being a goon, solberg has underappreciated skill. a surprisingly fluid skater, great puck carrier, fantastic compete, solid playmaking ideas, a capable shot, and relatively good instincts when it comes to activations and jumping up on rushes

i think theres some work to be done with his reads. sometimes he wont survey his options as well under pressure, and i think he can be a little slow to react defensively at times, but im hoping this is something that can improve in a stronger program once he leaves norway. part of my optimism is based on the fact that, fundamentally, i dont think theres anything wrong, his gap control is excellent, his timing on step ups is great, he constantly has a well positioned defensive stick, and he ususally doesnt get baited out of position. it just feels like he has momentary/situational lapses with reads and sometimes is a bit too eager to get a counter attack going (and besides, a player like this with elite reads/IQ would be an extremely high pick)

while his projection may feel like a physical 6/7D to some, this is a prospect who is active in all three zones, effective on and off the puck, and plays both special teams units (yes, even pp internationally) in his age bracket as well as in a mens professional league. if he can speed up his reads a touch and show a bit more consistency with his decisions on the puck under pressure, then i think theres legitimate top 4 potential here

as weird as it may sound, im very glad solberg chose to spend his DY in the EHL (as opposed to accepting a SWE J20 deal) because i believe it allowed him to fully showcase the effectiveness of his shutdown ability and raw physicality. i think theres a chance he wouldve had to temper it against his own age group. plus, he'll be playing in a very good farjestad program next season so we can trust his development will be in good hands

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I’m reaching the point i reach most years where i come to believe it’ll be hard to mess up the pick.

Helenius is my current crush, but if Fitz reaches a little for MBN, or opts for a little more offense in Catton or Iginla, or if Salayev or Buium fall? All sounds good to me. I think i’ll only feel a little disappointed if the pick is Eiserman or maybe a mostly-offensive D like Parekh. And i don’t have the patience for a headcase like Connelly.

But Nemec was the one guy i didn’t want in 2022 and that’s worked out pretty well so far so i think at this point i feel comfortable trusting whatever the Devils end up doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad