2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
2OA (Levshunov)
2025 Tor 1st rounder (Top 10 protected IIRC)
EDM or Allan

4OA(still might get Demidov/Lindstrom)
David Jiricek

and you can still get a potential top 6 forward or add to the right side D at 20 in the event Rinzel or Jiricek aren’t top pairing RHD.

I know this is mostly masturbation rather than reality but I’m confused — You wouldn’t take that?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
2OA (Levshunov)
2025 Tor 1st rounder (Top 10 protected IIRC)
EDM or Allan

4OA(still might get Demidov/Lindstrom)
David Jiricek

and you can still get a potential top 6 forward or add to the right side D at 20 in the event Rinzel or Jiricek aren’t top pairing RHD.

I know this is mostly masturbation rather than reality but I’m confused — You wouldn’t take that?
Nope. Seems like you’re getting caught up in handedness of the defensemen.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Jiricek since he had those issues with Columbus earlier this year. And there seems to be a prevailing opinion that Jiricek’s skating is not at an acceptable level, that’s worrying as hell.

EDM has a higher upside at this point, better offensive extincts and has improved his skating, he could be making the team next year. I doubt they go for Allan in that trade.

So you end up downgrading your top 5 pick and downgrading your prospect if you use EDM plus you have to add a first? Make it make sense. You’re only looking at Jiricek for his draft pedigree, not for the player he currently is.

Reactions: Giovi

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Nope. Seems like you’re getting caught up in handedness of the defensemen.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Jiricek since he had those issues with Columbus earlier this year. And there seems to be a prevailing opinion that Jiricek’s skating is not at an acceptable level, that’s worrying as hell.

EDM has a higher upside at this point, better offensive extincts and has improved his skating, he could be making the team next year. I doubt they go for Allan in that trade.

So you end up downgrading your top 5 pick and downgrading your prospect if you use EDM plus you have to add a first? Make it make sense. You’re only looking at Jiricek for his draft pedigree, not for the player he currently is.
Fair well said

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I just don’t see a scenario where we’re trading down from 2, it doesn’t happen in the NHL anymore.

I’m also probably the poster on HFHawks who is highest on EDM. I personally would call him untouchable.
What’s your opinion on our LHD outlook — does EDM to you project as a top pairing D ahead of both Vlasic/Korchinski? That would be pretty incredible

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
What’s your opinion on our LHD outlook — does EDM to you project as a top pairing D ahead of both Vlasic/Korchinski? That would be pretty incredible
Following EDM, he’s been elite defensively everywhere he’s played. It’s his offensive ability that’s been shocking. To have a guy who is 6’4, elite defensively and really good offensively, that’s a unicorn in the NHL. If he skated like Heiskanen he’d legitimately be a top 5 prospect in hockey.

In terms of the log jam, I’ll worry about that down the road when it’s time to compete for the playoffs. They have time to experiment, it could turn out one of these guys is able to play the right side. But I’m of the mind that you play the talent and figure out the rest later.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I can appreciate someone putting in that much work but quoting a bunch of other people and scouting based on articles that other people write rubs me the wrong way.
It’s kind of similar to over sampling in statistics. You can end up with an overfitted model.

The best analogy that I know of for an overfitted model is that it’s like memorizing all the answers on a practice exam but then the professor doesn’t use any of them in the real thing

Reactions: d rake and TLEH

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Del Mastro is the hidden gem of the Hawks system. Reality is nobody outside a team's fanbase gives a f*ck about someone that wasn't a high pick until they are in the NHL and performing there, but everything with Del Mastro screams "COVID non-season under-scouted" more than anything else given the last 3 seasons.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I see this Jiricek prospect always showing up between 11 and 20...usually in the middle. He's got a long history of injuries and while he played in the Czech men's league as an under-ager, which speaks well, he had really no impact on the score sheet. Right handed shot, but the injury history would make me hesitate even at 20.

Reactions: ray c

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Russian scout says "Demidov will be a 50 goal scorer, for sure". In regards to his character, "everyone loves him. In the lockerroom, he's a true leader". He questions whether he'd take him over Celebrini. By the way he answered he seemed like it's a debate.

He talked about the decision between him and Levshunov. He is familiar with Levshunov too and thinks Demidov is more talented

By the way, this scout says he has nothing to gain by touting Demidov. He is a veteran Russian scout for an undisclosed team. He also mentions the reason for him not signing an extension is because he wants to be in the NHL next year.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Russian scout says "Demidov will be a 50 goal scorer, for sure". In regards to his character, "everyone loves him. In the lockerroom, he's a true leader". He questions whether he'd take him over Celebrini. By the way he answered he seemed like it's a debate.

He talked about the decision between him and Levshunov. He is familiar with Levshunov too and thinks Demidov is more talented

By the way, this scout says he has nothing to gain by touting Demidov. He is a veteran Russian scout for an undisclosed team. He also mentions the reason for him not signing an extension is because he wants to be in the NHL next year.

What I found interesting is this is the second time it's been mentioned that he's grown, height wise. If Demidov has truly grown that much, his stock is certainly raised even more.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Calling him a guaranteed 50 goal scorer but then still unsure if he'd take him over Celebrini is hilarious

Reactions: Pez68

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Calling him a guaranteed 50 goal scorer but then still unsure if he'd take him over Celebrini is hilarious
Quotes are a little out of context. For reference, the relevant passages:

"How good do you actually think he is?

I’ve watched a lot of Demidov, and I watched the World Juniors to watch Celebrini. And I thought, who’s better, Celebrini or Demidov? I think Demidov is better just in terms of his creativity, in terms of his skating, in terms of how he thinks the game. He’s a great skater. He’ll have one-minute shifts and never stop, always moving. His legs are always moving and he has great separation speed. He’s a team player first of all. His passes are just marvelous. He can give you a saucer between three sticks. His shot needs improvement, but he’s working on it."

(several questions later)

"If you were advising the Blackhawks, would you recommend drafting Demidov?

Yeah, I think so. I’m familiar with (Artyom) Levshunov, too. Not as well as Demidov, but I know Levshunov was recruited by KHL teams, refused and went to the U.S. He’s a pretty good player. But I think Demidov has more talent. He’s a guy who can do it all. If his shot can improve a bit, he’ll be a 50-goal forward, for sure."

I think this scout is probably abnormally high on Demidov but I've also made up my mind about the talent already, so the stuff that matters in this interview imo:

A) He's a high-character guy, a beloved leader in the locker room and a culture fit for the current group of young Blackhawks (scout mentioned that he is constantly looking for extra practice and training sessions etc)

B) He has repeatedly reaffirmed that he is coming over after his KHL deal and has no interest in extending (already known but good to have another confirmation from someone who has actually talked with him)

C) He's likely grown to a little over 6 foot and can't really be called undersized anymore (also apparent on his tape, but you can never totally tell)

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Hawks could b definitely take him they can terrorize teams with either one of the most dynamic duos or causing matchup problems with Bedard Demidov and nazar. The fact that he has a year left and could get loaned out to a different team for khl time is good but he needs at least top 9+pp minutes on a khl team, he is to good for the mhl obviously, it will be good for the hawks as they will probably be in the final two years of rebuild years by the time he comes over in 26. Gives them time to add an extra top 3-7 pick while filling out the rest of the roster through FA and trades.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Quotes are a little out of context. For reference, the relevant passages:

"How good do you actually think he is?

I’ve watched a lot of Demidov, and I watched the World Juniors to watch Celebrini. And I thought, who’s better, Celebrini or Demidov? I think Demidov is better just in terms of his creativity, in terms of his skating, in terms of how he thinks the game. He’s a great skater. He’ll have one-minute shifts and never stop, always moving. His legs are always moving and he has great separation speed. He’s a team player first of all. His passes are just marvelous. He can give you a saucer between three sticks. His shot needs improvement, but he’s working on it."

(several questions later)

"If you were advising the Blackhawks, would you recommend drafting Demidov?

Yeah, I think so. I’m familiar with (Artyom) Levshunov, too. Not as well as Demidov, but I know Levshunov was recruited by KHL teams, refused and went to the U.S. He’s a pretty good player. But I think Demidov has more talent. He’s a guy who can do it all. If his shot can improve a bit, he’ll be a 50-goal forward, for sure."

I think this scout is probably abnormally high on Demidov but I've also made up my mind about the talent already, so the stuff that matters in this interview imo:

A) He's a high-character guy, a beloved leader in the locker room and a culture fit for the current group of young Blackhawks (scout mentioned that he is constantly looking for extra practice and training sessions etc)

B) He has repeatedly reaffirmed that he is coming over after his KHL deal and has no interest in extending (already known but good to have another confirmation from someone who has actually talked with him)

C) He's likely grown to a little over 6 foot and can't really be called undersized anymore (also apparent on his tape, but you can never totally tell)
How many consistent 50 goal scorers are there in the NHL?

This "scout" is a clown

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
How many consistent 50 goal scorers are there in the NHL?

This "scout" is a clown
It doesn't say consistent, but yeah that is probably too high a projection. I see Demidov as more of a playmaker. Could also be some nuance lost in translation or something.

At any rate, remember what they say about stones and glass houses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad