PA
IMG_0286.jpeg

“He is a bit of a psycho”

IMG_0287.gif

Well, looks like I found my guy lol

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I wonder if the Rangers will be among those teams...one bad apple/top 10 pick bust from a few years ago is not a reason to not scout Russian players if an opportunity arises.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Some very early thoughts about the 2024 draft.

This is my understanding of the draft order. Please correct me if you find that I made an error.

The conference finalists will draft 29-32 depending on the outcome of the conference and Stanley cup series. Except for lottery results the other 28 teams will draft in the order of their points.

If the Rangers do not beat Carolina and do not make the conference finals the Rangers would have the most points of any of the remaining 28 teams and would draft 28. If the Rangers beat Carolina and do not win the conference playoffs the Rangers would draft 30 because the Rangers would have more points than the other team that would not win the conference finals.

So barring a trade the Rangers would have either picks 28, 30, 31, or 32.

There's been some talk about whether the Rangers would keep the pick or trade down to get more picks. That would depend on whose available at the Rangers pick and the Rangers view of other lower picks.

There are 9 teams with 2 or more picks in round 2 with several of those teams having multiple picks in round 3. There also are two other teams with two or more picks in round 3. So there are several possible targets if the Rangers went to trade town.

Several draft value charts have been developed. I looked at one developed by the Athletic.

It shows the value of the possible Rangers picks as follows:

28 -- 3.1
30 -- 2.9
31 -- 2.8
32 -- 2.7

I looked at a few teams to see if I could get a match between the value of the Rangers pick and the other teams' available picks. This is not a comprehensive list of possibilities or a suggestion of which mteams might be more interested in trading up but a sample to get an idea of what might be possible.

Arizona/Utah has picks 38, 63 and 70 with the value of each pick as follows:

38 -- 2.2
63 -- 1.1
70 -- .9

38 and 63 add up to a little more than the value of the Rangers pick but 38 and 70 are getting closer. 38 and 70 are high picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Nashville has picks 53 and 55. The value of each pick is as follows:

53 -- 1.4
55 -- 1.4

So these two mid 2nd round picks are in the range of the value of the Rangers pick.

Finally Anaheim has 35, 65 and 78. The value of those picks are as follows:

35 -- 2.4
65 -- 1
78 -- .7

35 and 65 seems to be a little high but 35 and 78 could be in the range of the value of the Rangers pick.

It looks like if the Rangers trade down the team could get a 2nd or 3rd, or two mid round seconds or a higher second and a lower round draft pick.

I'm not making any predictions. I just wanted to get a sense of what a trade down might look like.

Reactions: ecemleafs

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Some very early thoughts about the 2024 draft.

This is my understanding of the draft order. Please correct me if you find that I made an error.

The conference finalists will draft 29-32 depending on the outcome of the conference and Stanley cup series. Except for lottery results the other 28 teams will draft in the order of their points.
Not exactly. Your conclusions are correct, but the way it works is a bit different.

Division winners are slotted between 25 and 28 unless they reach the conference finals. Since the Rangers have the most points out of the division winners, they will get the 28th pick if they lose in the 2nd round, regardless of what other teams do.

Vancouver won their division, but had less points than Carolina, who did not. If both teams fail to reach the conference finals, Carolina will pick before Vancouver despite having more points.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we moved down with our hopefully 32nd pick to pick up two picks we should keep in mind Jesse Pulkkinen---he's an overager (I believe) who was a key player for 4th place Finland at the WJC.....so Finland didn't medal but they did get in the medal round. But he's a monster LD--6'6 220(?)lbs. who has pretty decent skills but he also loves to use his size. His play can get goofy at times but really he's like 19. It's not like anyone in a draft is ever really a finished product at that point even the No. 1 overalls.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If we moved down with our hopefully 32nd pick to pick up two picks we should keep in mind Jesse Pulkkinen---he's an overager (I believe) who was a key player for 4th place Finland at the WJC.....so Finland didn't medal but they did get in the medal round. But he's a monster LD--6'6 220(?)lbs. who has pretty decent skills but he also loves to use his size. His play can get goofy at times but really he's like 19. It's not like anyone in a draft is ever really a finished product at that point even the No. 1 overalls.
i'm pretty sure if 1 overalls don't put up 85 points they're complete busts forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad