2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Unless we're picking in the top 6, I don't see any real point in moving any significant pieces to move up from 13 as its all going to be in a relatively similar tier with prospects with certain question marks to their game. I think its best just to stay put and make our pick.

If we were to move Gus, considering his poor season and knowing the Wild would like to make room for Wallstedt, good case scenario, the value is going to be in a 2nd. What Gus does going for him is he's at a relatively fair AAV, so maybe a 2nd + 4th at most. And I would consider that.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Trading Gus just makes very little sense, what do you do after next season? You are going to pay more than whatever you trade Gus for within a calendar year of that trade. We have zero org depth at goalie after Wallstedt, and relying on last legs Fleury and a rookie with 3 games under his belt would be a straight up tank move going into next season.

Reactions: Sweetnut

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Trading Gus just makes very little sense, what do you do after next season? You are going to pay more than whatever you trade Gus for within a calendar year of that trade. We have zero org depth at goalie after Wallstedt, and relying on last legs Fleury and a rookie with 3 games under his belt would be a straight up tank move going into next season.
It makes sense from certain angles. If you believe in Wallstedt and think he’s ready to play games next year, why not create 2.7M in cap space?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It makes sense from certain angles. If you believe in Wallstedt and think he’s ready to play games next year, why not create 2.7M in cap space?
But what about the year after? And what do you need the cap space for so desperately this off season, that you can’t just trade for a month into the season when we have accrued that same amount of space?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
But what about the year after? And what do you need the cap space for so desperately this off season, that you can’t just trade for a month into the season when we have accrued that same amount of space?
If you believe in Wallstedt, the year after he’s the starter and you shouldn’t have a hard time replacing fluery’s production.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If you believe in Wallstedt, the year after he’s the starter and you shouldn’t have a hard time replacing fluery’s production.
I don’t want Fleury’s production to be the standard, Gus from last season should be the standard we shoot for in a contending season.

I do not strongly believe that the youngest goalie in the league is capable of playing a starter workload to contender quality, I would not bet my career as GM on that when I have a perfectly valid option signed. I still think Gus can be a very strong performer in this league in tandem with Wallstedt, Goalie needs to be a strength for this franchise to be successful long term.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Gus only has 2 seasons left on his contract and then is a UFA. So I don't really see much difference in the "what about next year" argument. It'll just be the same situation with Wallstedt as a rookie with a pending UFA goalie as the goalie pair.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
many were posting trade up. if NJ really needs a goalie why not entertain the idea? i don't like the idea of wally the beer goalie spending another year in the iowa dumpster fire.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Honestly - the Goalie position is one of the easier spots to fill via FA. We don't (Currently) play a style of hockey that requires us to have a Vezina winner back there - just a .900+ league average or slightly better goalie. Those can be had via FA.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I would include Gus with our 1st to move up to 10. Mostly to clear his cap space.

He simply regressed to his career mean this season. He was an aberration and it happens all the time with goalies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would include Gus with our 1st to move up to 10. Mostly to clear his cap space.

He simply regressed to his career mean this season. He was an aberration and it happens all the time with goalies.
Can’t wait for Wallstedt to have a bad year so you can give up on him too. Oh wait, you thought he was ruined after one game in the NHL :laugh:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If they think Wallstedt is ready then yes trade Gus and let fluery get most of the starts. If we lose then better draft pick anyway. Near impossible I’m sure, but does MTL need a goalie? Their goalie stats were worse than ours.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If Spurgeon teturns in decent form, there is a chain reaction for our entire blueline with guys falling into their proper spot. Wallstedt will have the same cushy gig that Gus did last year.

I think we have to address Chisholm - Bogosian. They performed solidly this year but that’s a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Spurgeon teturns in decent form, there is a chain reaction for our entire blueline with guys falling into their proper spot. Wallstedt will have the same cushy gig that Gus did last year.

I think we have to address Chisholm - Bogosian. They performed solidly this year but that’s a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
I do wonder what is going to happen with the left side. We've got Brodin-Middleton-Chisholm-Merrill with three guys that should be pressing for a spot very soon. In looking to the draft, I don't think we can draft a LD without that player just being head and shoulders above what we have (see: Dickinson, Buium). Drafting a guy like Silayev would be kind of a bummer for me. Big, yes, but feels like Myers 2.0.

As for the right side, I don't think we can rely on Spurgeon and I think we need to make a contingency plan to improve that area. Spacek isn't ready for bottom pair duties and I have doubts that Johansson or Masters will be NHLers.

It sucks that 2/3 of our current top 3 defenders consistently miss a chunk of games every year. Look at a team like Colorado... Makar 77 games, Toews 82 games, Walker 81 games, Manson 76 games, Girard 59 games, and Byram played 73 games between Colorado and Buffalo. Contrast that with us... Faber 82, Middleton 80, Brodin, 62, Bogosian 65 (TBL and MIN), Spurgeon 16, Merrill 65, and a few other guys with a half season's worth of games or less.

Guerin should focus on bringing in quality players that can stay healthy and creating some consistency to the defensive lineup. That should go a ways towards helping our goaltending be better too.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Chisholm worried me a bit more as the season wore on. I think he almost needs to be with Spurgeon who can confer for him.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
U18 prelims started this morning. Eiserman looked so far away from being anything to me, hopefully his disinterest in competing was due it being pre-lims. Connelly actually looked better than I had seen in the past, still not interested at our spot.

Brodie Ziemer splashed some high level skill and smarts, may be good value there if he slips down.

Skahan showed well, I like the potential there for a likely second rounder.

And not this year's draft, but @Digitalbooya would probably be happy that I think Logan Hensler looked very good.

• Love
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
U18 prelims started this morning. Eiserman looked so far away from being anything to me, hopefully his disinterest in competing was due it being pre-lims. Connelly actually looked better than I had seen in the past, still not interested at our spot.

Brodie Ziemer splashed some high level skill and smarts, may be good value there if he slips down.

And not this year's draft, but @Digitalbooya would probably be happy that I think Logan Hensler looked very good.
Glad to hear! Actually didn't know Hensler was committed to UW till about a week or two ago. I was going through the list of recruits and he definitely caught my eye. Hopefully he can come in and Hastings lets him play a decent amount. Wheeler has him in the second tier of the 1st round:
Hensler, who because of his October birthday has already played his two years at the program, has consistently impressed me with USA Hockey. He’s a player with real quality who just looks like he has it — like he’s going to be a top-four defenseman in the NHL for a long time. He’s got pro size. He’s a smooth skater with good edges and balanced posture on his heels and toes, and he uses it confidently to play strong stick-on-puck gaps and carry and lead in transition. He’s got poise and comfort in all three zones and all four corners of the ice. His head is always up. His level is consistent. He reads the play well and has good instincts on the ice. And he’s got skill and offense, even if it’s not the highlight-reel type. He's a righty. He looks to me like he’s going to be a really good two-way defenseman.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Eiserman in my viewings this years is extremely concerning.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Eiserman in my viewings this years is extremely concerning.
Havent watched him at all but every review of him seems to paint a picture of a patrik laine type dude. Not my cup of tea but if they really dont like anyone else at 13 theres worse to pick for sure. If they end up picking him im sure i'll psyop myself into believing the Wild can make him into a more complete player lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad