2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Where are you seeing 6'5"? I see 6'3" everywhere on him. The knock on him is that his ceiling is as a middle pairing guy. Mediocre puck skills.

In this draft i'd rather have two picks from 20-25 than a #13-14. Can pick an Elick, and a MBN/Sennecke/Boisvert, instead of taking a chance on a Parekh/Greentree/Iginla.
You’re correct. I saw Kleber as 6’5 and mentally took that as Elick’s height. My mistake

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
One guy who’d we hate on draft-day but possibly would come around on would be Elick. 6’3 RHD who can really skate. Easy to see NHL FOs liking him more than draftniks and fans.
I can't find much about him, unfortunately. Here he is mic'd up:

Looks like he skates well. Not the fastest guy, but definitely fast enough to be a pro. From what I've read, his transition game is a work in progress. He has good mobility, size, and a mean streak, Projects as a physical, mobile, shutdown defenseman. If I'm being honest, his skillset reminds me of Marco Scandella.

I wouldn't hate it, but I also wouldn't be wowed by it. I also wasn't wowed by the Brodin pick, though, and I happily ate my crow on that one.

I found a video of him doing a stickhandling into a shot drill, and then re-doing the same drill with a 40lbs stick. He actually hit the target with the 40lbs stick. That video was more for fun than anything else, so I didn't post it, but it was clear to me that he's got decent puck control.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i would only drop from #14 to say 20 IF we get a 2nd included. elick does "fit the mold" for me. if that happened i'd be looking at badinka and / or pulkkinen 2nd rnd picks.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
i would only drop from #14 to say 20 IF we get a 2nd included. elick does "fit the mold" for me. if that happened i'd be looking at badinka and / or pulkkinen 2nd rnd picks.
I say we go all in and trade up. We can afford to lose a few mid round picks/2nds. Trade it all but next years 1st, Yurov, and Heidt to move up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Somebody talk me out of wanting Michael Hage at #13/#14 (assuming there's no big dropper).

#10 on Central Scouting's final rankings for NA skaters.

6'1" right-shot center
33 goals, 75 points in 54 USHL games
4th in USHL points, 3rd in USHL points-per-game
5 points up on 2nd place on his team (a 19 year old) in 5 fewer games
Nobody huh? Then fine. I'm on the Hage Train. Let's go!

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He seems like a middle 6 guy. We have about 15 of those. I want a swing for the fences pick if we taking a F. Or just take whichever D Brackett likes the most.

But I watch about 10 mins of YouTube on these prospects max so I generally am clueless. 🤷‍♂️

trade up for who? zeev?
Zeev or Silayev. If Silayev is more Chara/Hedman than Risto/Myers, that’s a franchise changing pick. He’s arguably got the most upside in the draft behind Celebrini.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Thought exercise:

How high would you have to move up to trade this year's 1st + a top 10 protected 2025 1st?

Or, which players would have to be available at whatever pick to make that trade to move up to wherever?

I'd say top 5-6, or one of the following players: Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Buium, Catton and maybe Dickinson.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I wanted to read more about him because of you, which led me to TWH's scouting report of him, and it starts out "Michael Hage is a small forward...". That prompted me to look up at his size, and I was expecting something like 5'10" 165lbs, but TWH themselves have him listed at 6'1" 190lbs. :laugh: Really makes me question the accuracy of the rest of this report.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Thought exercise:

How high would you have to move up to trade this year's 1st + a top 10 protected 2025 1st?

Or, which players would have to be available at whatever pick to make that trade to move up to wherever?

I'd say top 5-6, or one of the following players: Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Buium, Catton and maybe Dickinson.
I’d say top 5 for sure if we’re trading two 1sts. I’m not even sold on Dickinson or Levshunov being total rockstars.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Thought exercise:

Would only do it for Celebrini/Demidov.

Reactions: 57special

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Thought exercise:

I would seriously consider it if Demidov falls to 8ish

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would seriously consider it if Demidov falls to 8ish
I would just offer a 2nd, not a 1st. I am not optimistic about next year's chances, and wouldn't want to lose a lottery pick to move up 5-6 spots... i have not watched enough Demidov to make an informed decision, though. part of the problem is that he doesn't play in the greatest league, we can't see him internationally, and he didn't play up with men like most top Russian players do.
I've seen it multiple times where players look like gods against lower competition, and disappear once they move up a tier or two.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I am not optimistic about next year's chances
Im not expecting us to be contenders, but it’s unlikely we get worse goaltending, injury luck and depth scoring next year. I think a return to the playoffs is in order. But I’m an optimist

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I haven't been following the prospects for the last month to see who has risen/fallen - is Iginla still around 13?
Yeah, though a strong playoffs in the WHL might help him a bit. He's up against Heidt's team, so it's pretty tough going for him... PG is loaded.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Preliminarily, really hoping Eiserman or Helenius falls.

If the top 12 goes chalk, then I think I'm cool with any of Iginla/Greentree/Hage/MBN. Really wish Connelly wasn't such a dick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad