2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
MBN erasure...

I'm not sure I'm seeing the groupthink, although I was skimming through that thread.

I think the fact that Catton and/or Yakemchuk are falling to our pick in most outcomes is a massive win scenario. Catton is a top five player for me in this class, and the type of player Yakemchuk is if he hits are invaluable and untradable assets.

The 18s will teach us a lot, especially WRT the Finnish and Swedish players.

I've been trying to consume as much content as I can on the players for that range.

I watched PG vs Kelowna and Parascak caught my eye battling against Iginla. He was doing it all, ES/PP/PK. Too soon for that range.
Parascak is good and would definitely be a justifiable choice if he makes it to 33. I’d definitely prefer a defenseman, but if all the ones worthy of early 2nd round picks are taken in the late 1st and Parascak falls, I’d consider him for sure.
I watched London play and Dickinson just didn't look like a very smart player. Wonderful breakout pass, but he feels like Juolevi-bait inflated by a superteam. He was just sloppy in all three zones.

Watching Dickinson and then going back to Levshunov was cataclysmic. Different tiers of players.
Agreed. Dickinson has a lot to like on the surface between his size, skating, breakout passing, and solid shot, but the more you view him the more you start to question just how effective he really is. If he somehow fell to 14th then he’s a no-brainer obviously, but if we took him at 3rd I’d go ballistic.
(On an aside Jacob Julien was extremely impressive and our boy Kasper Halttunen was showing a lot more dimensions to his game than I anticipated. He's more than a floating big shot.)
I really like Julien, he always pops for me when I watch London. I think he’ll be a great third or fourth line center in the NHL. I was kinda disappointed (but not surprised) that he was already drafted.

I still don’t know what to make of Halttunen. He definitely is a floater or anything and has a decently well-rounded game relative to most guys in juniors, but I don’t know if it’s enough. That said, he’s still really young (doesn’t turn 19 until June IIRC) so I’m in wait-and-see mode. If he turns into something, great, but I’m not counting on it. With his size/skating/shot, he could fit nicely on a future third line with Bystedt and Edstrom…
Only one viewing of Parekh, but I wasn't overly moved. I don't thinks someone like Adam Jiříček is all that far away in terms of talent. Parekh is a better shooter, Jiříček is bigger and more imaginative in the offensive zone.

Neither are in that group with Levshunov and Buium.
I think you must have seen a sub-par game from Parekh, because there’s no way Jiricek is more imaginative in the offensive zone. Parekh is the Karlsson of the OHL, for better and worse. Saginaw can’t get anything going offensively without him.

I am still intrigued by Jiricek and wouldn’t mind him at 14 if Grier and co. are convinced his injuries are behind him and believe in his developmental path.
Sacha Boisvert is the anti-Greentree.

Excited to watch all of the players floating within that top ~65 range that will be with the 18s. Especially guys like Eiserman, Connelly, Greentree, Hage, Väisänen, Hemming, Elick, Kiviharju, Freij, Wallenius, Eliasson etc

And the 2025 guys like Frondell, Martone, Hensler, Wozniak, Schaefer, McQueen

Final stretch
Word. I love the U18, it’s a really underrated event.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I think you must have seen a sub-par game from Parekh, because there’s no way Jiricek is more imaginative in the offensive zone. Parekh is the Karlsson of the OHL, for better and worse. Saginaw can’t get anything going offensively without him.

I am still intrigued by Jiricek and wouldn’t mind him at 14 if Grier and co. are convinced his injuries are behind him and believe in his developmental path.

That's an extremely fair take.

Parekh's numbers are absurd enough to earn him more than enough credit in the bank.

I think it's his skating that lends some reserve for me. He's not that Makar/Hughes/Karlsson type of shifty fluid dominance. He's more like a Rasmus Andersson that can get around well and is efficient, but he'll never wow you in that regard.

Actually I might end up liking that as a comp if he puts on some more mass and embraces the thicker build, like a Rasmus Andersson. They both have that bite and snarl and play angry.

In terms of Jiříček he's someone for me that could have really pushed into the top 10 this year if it weren't for that injury that kept him out for the entire season. His acceleration and edgework are extremely strong and he's a bigger guy at 6'2/6'3 and uses all of that to shield players off as he skates around the offensive zone with the puck looking for something to develop. Really nice vision too.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Draft Prospects Hockey draft simulator is up, which means I can go absolutely sicko mode pretending that we could draft EJ Emery in the third round.

San Jose Sharks
(3) Artyom Levshunov, RD
(14) Carter Yakemchuk, RD
(33) Charlie Elick, RD
(42) Nikita Artamonov, RW
(85) EJ Emery, RD
(116) Julius Miettinen, C

Go nuts. Draft Simulator

Edit- Alternate offense sicko mode:

(3) Ivan Demidov, RW
(14) Cayden Lindstrom, C
(33) Dominik Badinka, RD
(42) Andrew Basha, LW
(85) Harrison Brunicke, RD
(116) Ilya Nabokov, G

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
(1) Macklin Celebrini, C
(33) Andrew Basha, LW
(42) Alfons Freij, LD
(85) EJ Emery, RD

I don't know anybody past round 3 but this is pretty ideal for me anyways
The sim is so addicting even though it’s insanely unrealistic and really depends on the rankings put in. It gets better/more realistic after Mackenzie’s final ranking.

But yeah. I did one that was like Levshunov at 3, Buium at 14, Elick at 33, Badinka at 42, and Emery at 85. Felt kinda illegal.

YouJustGotPavelskied

Feb 15, 2009
Chico
The Draft Prospects Hockey draft simulator is up, which means I can go absolutely sicko mode pretending that we could draft EJ Emery in the third round.

San Jose Sharks
(3) Artyom Levshunov, RD
(33) Charlie Elick, RD
(42) Nikita Artamonov, RW
(85) EJ Emery, RD
(116) Julius Miettinen, C

Go nuts. Draft Simulator

Edit- Alternate offense sicko mode:

(3) Ivan Demidov, RW
(14) Cayden Lindstrom, C
(33) Dominik Badinka, RD
(42) Andrew Basha, LW
(85) Harrison Brunicke, RD
(116) Ilya Nabokov, G
Thanks for sharing, that is fun. I also drafted Ilya Nabokov, any relation to Evgeni?

Mine went
Ivan Demidov, RW (3)
Trevor Connelly, LW (14)
Charlie Elick, RD (33)
Alfons Freij, LD (42)

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The sim is so addicting even though it’s insanely unrealistic and really depends on the rankings put in. It gets better/more realistic after Mackenzie’s final ranking.

But yeah. I did one that was like Levshunov at 3, Buium at 14, Elick at 33, Badinka at 42, and Emery at 85. Felt kinda illegal.

Omg. This is fun.

Also, these scouting reports are hilariously brutal “non-existent physicality and defense” and “garbage one-timer”. Really not pulling any punches.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Omg. This is fun.

Also, these scouting reports are hilariously brutal “non-existent physicality and defense” and “garbage one-timer”. Really not pulling any punches.

Starting from #2 I traded down a bunch, accumulating an endless supply of 2nds, and then used that to trade back into the first, in a strategy I’m 100% is entirely achievable…

#7 Buium
#11 Silayev
#12 Lindstrom
#14 Yakemchuk
#164 who…
#172 …cares

Last edited:

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Starting from #2 I traded down a bunch, accumulating an endless supply of 2nds, and then used that to trade back into the first, in a strategy I’m 100% is entirely achievable…

#7 Buium
#11 Silayev
#12 Lindstrom
#14 Yakemchuk
#164 who…
#172 …cares
Now that's a defensive core rebuilt in one draft :laugh:
Hot take: I would love that result even more than just drafting Celebrini (of course in a case that Buium, Silayev, Lindstrom and maybe Yakemchuk make the show)

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Having pics 1-3, 14, 33, and 42- particularly in this draft- is pretty fun, you get to pretty much scout every player in the top 60 and think there is a chance we end up with them.

Can we definitively say we grab anybody.

Top 3 pick- Celebrini, Levshuvnov, Zuium, Lindstrom, Demidov, Silayev - all viable
Projected top 15- Eiserman, Dickinson, Catton, Parekh, Helenius, Nygard, Jiricek, Iginla, Hage, Yakechuk, Sennecke, Greentree- Parekh/Dickinson seem like the least viable there

Than it's kind of a crap shoot from 15-45.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

#7 Buium
#11 Silayev
#12 Lindstrom
#14 Yakemchuk
#164 who…
#172 …cares
#2, #33, #42 don't get you #7, #11, #12

The math doesn't add up.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What would his NHLe be?
Dean Letourneau
C | St. Andrew's College
6'7" 209 lbs
Born: 2006 FEB

U18 AAA (Manitoba U-18 'AAA' Hockey League)
GAMES: 56
GOALS: 61
ASSISTS: 66
That level? Like 2 points in 82 games. NHLe for a level that low is minuscule (I think it's around 0.01), and pretty meaningless for anyone not likely to play in the NHL the next season anyway.

At this level, scouting is more important.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
#2, #33, #42 don't get you #7, #11, #12

The math doesn't add up.

Just like my 7th grade math teacher, you gonna make me show my work, eh?

TheStart_________Trade1___________Trade2___________Trade3___________Trade4___________Trade5___________THE_RECKONING___

MY…

MATH…

IS…

SO…

SO…

STRONG…

BITCH!

:naughty:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Omg. This is fun.

I feel like it’s a massive over correction from last year. Last year you’d get a guy in the fifth round ranked around there and it says “great playmaking, great shot, fantastic skater” and it’s like why is he ranked here then? Oh because he plays no defense got it. This team you can take a guy in the 2nd that says “great playmaking, good shot, bad skater, zero defense”

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
AAA hockey is significantly below Junior A or CHL in Canada

An 18 year old at that level is not that impressive.

I agree with it being below CHL but depending on where you live AAA and Jr A may be quite similar.

His number are also impressive enough that he is ranked inside the top 25 NA players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad